Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
So I posted a while ago in this thread, about a $150 tablet, but I think i will up my budget to ~$300, or a little more/less depending on quality difference, and I am wondering what it the best quality tablet in that range? I think I'd like 8-10 in screen. I would do a lot of web browsing, reading, and possibly watching movies. I'll probably also try out app gaming again. I stopped because my smartphone is too old and slow nowadays.

I've been looking at the samsung galaxy tab pro 10.1, but I am not sure if that is the latest. Amazon lists it as 239.99, which seems like a nice price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
iPad Mini 2, iPad Mini 3, and iPad Air are $270, $300, and $340 respectively.

Minis are 8″ and Airs are 10″. Of the three, the Mini 3 is the only one with Touch ID. If you plan to keep the iPad at home and unlocked and have no need for Touch ID, the Mini 3 is otherwise indistinguishable from the Mini 2.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Triglav posted:

Minis are 8″ and Airs are 10″. Of the three, the Mini 3 is the only one with Touch ID. If you plan to keep the iPad at home and unlocked and have no need for Touch ID, the Mini 3 is otherwise indistinguishable from the Mini 2.

Couldn't have said it better. Thanks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You can also save a little more buying from the Apple refurbished store.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Triglav posted:

Alright, thanks for the info. Seems now I am just trying to decide between the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 and the iPad mini 2

Questions about the samsung:
Can it run apps off the expandable memory?
Is the hardware faster than the iPad Mini 2?
Are the speakers any good? One of the reasons I am considering this over the ipad is that it has speakers in landscape mode.

e: I think I'll just go with the ipad mini 2 actually. It costs less, and seems more like the size i want anyway.

Skwee fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 21, 2015

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Skwee posted:

e: I think I'll just go with the ipad mini 2 actually. It costs less, and seems more like the size i want anyway.

Just to give you a bit more confidence, tab pro are the older models the tab s being newer.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Also, go to a store and try the sizes. I got a full size iPad instead of the mini I had thought about after trying them out.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

I'm interested in a >10" tablet with a good stylus, suitable for basic illustrating and storyboards (nothing professional). The budget is ideally < $1000. As far as I can tell the main options are between the Samsung Galaxy Note series and the Microsoft Surface Pro. Is one option clearly better than the other?

I'm concerned that the 2014 Galaxy Notes are relatively old at this point, does anyone know how they're holding up? Is the 12.2" option significantly better than the 10.1"?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
iPad Pro?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

I overall like Apple and recommend iPads, but I think the jury is out on whether the iPad pro will be a good buy it not. And unless it really matches what you need, I'm betting it's going to usually be "don't get the iPad pro."

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

So, I've been thinking of picking up the 599.00/128GB/4GB ram Surface 3. I was just wondering if you guys would reccondmend I get some other Windows tablet instead around that price point. I don't need an LTE device. Just something around that price with comparable specs. I'm open to pretty much any suggestions.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
I'm in the market for a new tablet. I currently use a Nexus 7 (2012) but it's just barely usable right now -- laggy and unresponsive. I've done a factory reset and it didn't solve the problem. Up to this point, I've been really happy with it.

I've been considering a Shield Tablet -- it seems to have gotten decent reviews, has some snappy hardware (given what happened to my Nexus 7, I want some hardware that can age well) and apparently runs pretty up to date versions of Android. I'm a bit concerned about the recent recall, and I've read rumors of Nvidia releasing an update soon, so I'm trying to wait on that.

I see that this thread has strong recommendations for the iPad Mini 2, and I'll admit I'm tempted -- it's the form factor I'm looking for, and I'm familiar with iOS from my wife's iPad. But I'd prefer to stick with Android if I can get a decent piece of hardware, as I'm moderately committed to the Android/Google ecosystem. I have a Nexus 5 and it would be nice to have the phone and tablet play well together.

Major use cases for the tablet would be reading (PDFs/Kindle), work reference (calendar, class notes, Dropbox, Evernote), email, and occasional Netflix/movies when on the road (in that order). Any thoughts on the Shield? Or am I just better off abandoning Android at this point for the iPad Mini? Or maybe just get a cheap Nexus 7 (2013) on eBay?

One side note: We need to replace an old laptop, and one device we're considering is the Surface Pro. If we go that direction, that will probably become my main tablet. If anyone has thoughts on that option, I'd love to hear it.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

omg chael crash posted:

So, I've been thinking of picking up the 599.00/128GB/4GB ram Surface 3. I was just wondering if you guys would reccondmend I get some other Windows tablet instead around that price point. I don't need an LTE device. Just something around that price with comparable specs. I'm open to pretty much any suggestions.

It's a really good device, I'm sure you'll be happy if you get it

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I've been using a 7" dopo walmart tablet for the last year to watch video files at work. It fell and cracked today, not responding to touch anymore. If all I want is something that can watch videos off an sd card, is the new $50 kindle fire a good replacement?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
This isn't directed at any one in particular, because I don't have a huge amount of experience with most tablets, but I couldn't be happier with the refurbished Samsung Galaxy tab pro 8.4 I got on Amazon for 200 dollars. It feels snappy even when playing demanding games, it's basically the perfect size for me, and the screen is absolutely gorgeous. I have honestly never seen a nicer screen on a piece of mobile kit.

I can totally see why Samsung tried to position this against the iPad mini 2? I think it was. The fact that I got this thing for 200 is seriously mind boggling.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Quad posted:

I've been using a 7" dopo walmart tablet for the last year to watch video files at work. It fell and cracked today, not responding to touch anymore. If all I want is something that can watch videos off an sd card, is the new $50 kindle fire a good replacement?

Well, nobody has it yet (it comes out the 30th), but I imagine that it'll be a more than adequate replacement.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

werdnam posted:

I'm in the market for a new tablet. I currently use a Nexus 7 (2012) but it's just barely usable right now -- laggy and unresponsive. I've done a factory reset and it didn't solve the problem. Up to this point, I've been really happy with it.

I've been considering a Shield Tablet -- it seems to have gotten decent reviews, has some snappy hardware (given what happened to my Nexus 7, I want some hardware that can age well) and apparently runs pretty up to date versions of Android. I'm a bit concerned about the recent recall, and I've read rumors of Nvidia releasing an update soon, so I'm trying to wait on that.

I see that this thread has strong recommendations for the iPad Mini 2, and I'll admit I'm tempted -- it's the form factor I'm looking for, and I'm familiar with iOS from my wife's iPad. But I'd prefer to stick with Android if I can get a decent piece of hardware, as I'm moderately committed to the Android/Google ecosystem. I have a Nexus 5 and it would be nice to have the phone and tablet play well together.

Major use cases for the tablet would be reading (PDFs/Kindle), work reference (calendar, class notes, Dropbox, Evernote), email, and occasional Netflix/movies when on the road (in that order). Any thoughts on the Shield? Or am I just better off abandoning Android at this point for the iPad Mini? Or maybe just get a cheap Nexus 7 (2013) on eBay?

One side note: We need to replace an old laptop, and one device we're considering is the Surface Pro. If we go that direction, that will probably become my main tablet. If anyone has thoughts on that option, I'd love to hear it.

This exact same thing has happened to my 2012 N7, it even refuses to download anything now even if I'm sitting directly next to the router, so I'm in the market for a new one as well. The Mini 2 is my front runner right now just because that $270 price tag is hard to beat.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

The Rage posted:

This exact same thing has happened to my 2012 N7, it even refuses to download anything now even if I'm sitting directly next to the router, so I'm in the market for a new one as well. The Mini 2 is my front runner right now just because that $270 price tag is hard to beat.

You could also try a refurbished Samsung tab pro 8.4 for like 60$ less.

Yeah I'm still over the moon about this thing

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
If anyone is looking for a cheap 8" Windows tablet, Cowboom has the Dell Venue 8 refurbished for $50. Not an amazing price, but not terrible for a cheap extra tablet.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I currently have an old Surface Pro (9UR-00001; i5 3rd generation), I need a new unit that cannot wait so I'm thinking about picking up a Surface Pro 3 (4YM-00016; i3 4th generation). Are the processors comparable I can't seem to find the exact difference between the two aside from Hyper Threading. I'm primarily using this for internet browsing, Hearthstone, YouTube, lots of Office. Will the Pro 3 suit my needs?

Minijaka
Apr 6, 2006
I'm so original.
Is the 32GB Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 good for $300 used or are there better alternatives?

I want to use it to watch movies, read comics, and sometimes play lovely android games. Main thing I wanted was a big touch screen, and everything else seem to be either way more expensive, or have much lower resolution.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
I have about $150 in Amazon gift cards I wanna blow and I was thinking of picking up a 10" tablet. I'm looking at a refurbished Samsung Tab 10.1 or an Amazon Fire HD 10.1. Which is the better option, or is there something else I should be looking at in the same price range?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

obi_ant posted:

I currently have an old Surface Pro (9UR-00001; i5 3rd generation), I need a new unit that cannot wait so I'm thinking about picking up a Surface Pro 3 (4YM-00016; i3 4th generation). Are the processors comparable I can't seem to find the exact difference between the two aside from Hyper Threading. I'm primarily using this for internet browsing, Hearthstone, YouTube, lots of Office. Will the Pro 3 suit my needs?

Not even two weeks until the 4 comes out?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Any recommendations for a tablet that allows drawing on a screen? A keyboard would be nice too.

My own research tells me that I should be going for a Surface 3 or a Surface 3 Pro or a Toshiba Encore 2 Write. I've tried the Surfaces in a store demo, and there's little difference to me but I suspect the Pro is a little (or significantly?) better in multi-tasking? There are also the Cintiqs but those seem overkill, not too portable and very expensive, at least in Malaysia.

Basically:
- Something that can let me draw with a stylus
- Something with a keyboard so I can do work on it too
- Something that's relatively light so I can carry it around for work/notes
- Battery being decent would be a plus.

I realise all the models I considered are Windows based but that's not really a requirement. I would have asked this in the Windows tablet thread but it's closed for some reason? I'm still catching up on that thread and am only about halfway through (and I'm only on page 4 of this thread so far in my research).

EDIT: Reading just the last page where my post appears, there's a Surface Pro 4 coming in 2 weeks? I might have to put that into consideration...

PS - To be clear, I'm currently leaning towards the Surface 3 4GB with pen and keyboard but am worried I'm not considering all the options I have available. Also, apparently the battery charge time is really long, because Micro USB...not sure about any other issues it has, if any.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 3, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The main contenders in that are the Surface, the Galaxy Note line, and the new iPad Pro. I'm not entirely sure Samsung is still making up to date Notes, but they might be worth checking out. The iPad Pro isn't out yet. People seem to like their Surfaces, so if you like it, it's not the worst idea. The Surface Pro 3 is MUCH faster than the Surface 3, and there should be a new one coming out shortly that will drop its price. The Surface 3 has better battery life, I'm sure, and if multitasking isn't a major requirement, that might be your best bet.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Is the $50 fire tablet with a 128gb sd card a good choice for a device that can play mp3s and podcasts in my car?

I just need an easy to navigate music and podcasting app-would the fire have both of those?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does the $50 fire tablet have gps?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

EugeneJ posted:

Does the $50 fire tablet have gps?

Doesn't look like it.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Anyone get their hands on the Fire tablet yet? I'm only looking for a device to check email, read articles, and read books. An iPad Mini would be nice, but it's hard to justify even the refurbished cost for my situation.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I got mine today.
Still getting used to a tablet that doesn't give you a home screen; any apps you download are 1-3 clicks deep in each of its premade pages, 'books', 'games', 'videos', etc. Like, to watch a movie on an SD card, it's swipe 3 times over to Appstore, click library, click downloaded, click MX Player, click movie, which is like 5 more actions than my old lovely android tablet. But for $50... ehh, I'll take it. It crashed on Deer Hunter 2016 and Crossy Road, after it suggested them to me, but it did sync with my kindle library right away, so now I can finally read "Angry Man Pounded By The Fear Of His Latent Gayness Over A Dinosaur Transitioning Into A Unicorn" and other things I've bought while drunk.
I mean, if you want an mp3 player... get an iPod, but this'll do it; there's bluetooth so maybe it will sync with your car and play over the speakers, or you could be a monster and wear earbuds in a moving vehicle. Hell, I'm using it to watch movies all night in a moving vehicle so 6 of 1...
10/10 would buy again.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

I was looking at getting a shield tablet to play games (some heavy) and in general do some replacement computer work. I have a budget of around $500 and would prefer android. What are some of the more powerful worthy tablets right now?

dominoeffect fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Oct 17, 2015

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

dominoeffect posted:

I was looking at getting a shield tablet to play games (some heavy) and in general do some replacement computer work. I have a budget of around $500 and would prefer android. What are some of the more powerful worthy tablets right now?

Maybe wait for Pixel C

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
I was thinking about an apple device to read my textbooks on on the go, currently I have an iPad mini first gen which can barely handle the huge PDFs I have to read and an iPhone 5 that is three years old and will become very very obsolete soon

I wanted to upgrade to a mini 2 or so but recently I thought maybe trading both of those in and getting an iPhone 6 Plus would be a good idea since it has a really nice resolution and is the perfect size to read textbook paragraphs once you zoom in in a pdf.

Advice?

PS I don't really wanna leave the apple ecosystem.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Lichy posted:

I was thinking about an apple device to read my textbooks on on the go, currently I have an iPad mini first gen which can barely handle the huge PDFs I have to read and an iPhone 5 that is three years old and will become very very obsolete soon

I wanted to upgrade to a mini 2 or so but recently I thought maybe trading both of those in and getting an iPhone 6 Plus would be a good idea since it has a really nice resolution and is the perfect size to read textbook paragraphs once you zoom in in a pdf.

Advice?

PS I don't really wanna leave the apple ecosystem.

You can get a refurb Mini 2 for under $230 which is a hell of a deal. It's basically an Air 1 with a smaller display.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Can anyone recommend a good, no faff reader app for an Android tablet, one that can do epub3 format? I don't particularly like having to go online to use Play Books every time I want to read a book in that format.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If only there was a thread dedicated strictly to Android apps.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Cheers for the link.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I want to get my Fiance a tablet for schoolwork. I'm thinking an iPad Mini 2 but I would prefer an Android tablet. What do you guys recommend? She'd be using it in class and bed probably.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What would *she* prefer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Gift: ipad
Education: large ipad

Result: large ipad