Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Sandweed posted:

Red Alert 2 with Expansions are free on Origin right now btw.

this is the updated one where they took out the custom quotes for the Hollywood characters isn't it :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Sandweed posted:

Red Alert 2 with Expansions are free on Origin right now btw.
Does it have online play still?

Own a copy and used to play online but they changed to some 3rd party server and I couldn't get it working

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Aces High posted:

this is the updated one where they took out the custom quotes for the Hollywood characters isn't it :smith:

Probably, the First Decade did that too. RA2's still one of my favorite RTS out there, even if Yuri's Revenge MP was... a mess.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Battlefront backpedals on no dedicated servers

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/09/18/star-wars-battlefront-dedicated-servers-are-in-dice-confirms/#/slide/1

Although that could just be a mealy-mouthed way of saying that the game has actual servers and isn't peer to peer, because it still doesn't seem to have community servers. . .

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 19, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/09/18/star-wars-battlefront-dedicated-servers-are-in-dice-confirms/#/slide/1

Although that could just be a mealy-mouthed way of saying that the game has actual servers and isn't peer to peer, because it still doesn't seem to have community servers. . .

Yeah, from the looks of it that only means that the actual game rounds will be hosted on a dedicated server somewhere, but not that you can actually browse, choose, or customise them. So you'd still be stuck with the "skill-based" matchmaking.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Bohemian Nights posted:

They had to have something, you can't host that many people on a P2P connection without absolutely devastating the ping

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Dedicated servers were always in. Dumb people can't tell the difference between a game not having a server browser and a game not having dedicated servers.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I'm actually surprised that they do not go for server rentals in Battlefront, as I was under the assumption that that solution was preferable to EA from a commercial perspective. But maybe it's not worth it to them anymore or the Star Wars license has some provisions that would make them unable to have Battlefield's rental model.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Dedicated servers were always in. Dumb people can't tell the difference between a game not having a server browser and a game not having dedicated servers.

Dumb people are the game's target audience, so

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Is there a BF4 platoon? I realized that I never applied to LLJK but I don't know if that's even still active/full? If it ain't, I'm CascadeBeta.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Randler posted:

I'm actually surprised that they do not go for server rentals in Battlefront, as I was under the assumption that that solution was preferable to EA from a commercial perspective. But maybe it's not worth it to them anymore or the Star Wars license has some provisions that would make them unable to have Battlefield's rental model.

I do hope that they will take this model eventually, after they get tired of having their own severs and want to sell them off to randoms that are greedy for power and control

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

LOL Dice is bringing back below radar. But making it not affect stingers.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I can't find any classic servers. Is it dead?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
In the EU at least there's 4-6 every night, mosly 48 but with usually atleast 1 64. In the day time even there's normally at least one of the 48s populated. I play pretty much nothing else, unless there's a goon who's too much of a bitch to handle classic I'm playing with. No idea about the US.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Sandweed posted:

LOL Dice is bringing back below radar. But making it not affect stingers.
What's below radar and why is that a bad/good thing?

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
In BEEF3, a competent helicopter pilot could fly within a certain range of the ground and become completely unlockable to any and all lock on weapons. This meant you had to either shoot down a lil'birb and its repair crew with a mounted machine, a tank or pray they're dumb/you're amazing with an RPG and score a kill. This also allowed gunships to just strafe everything and murder entire teams.

'Course, my experience with BF3 is from the console so it may not be as bad as I remember.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Tasoth posted:

In BEEF3, a competent helicopter pilot could fly within a certain range of the ground and become completely unlockable to any and all lock on weapons. This meant you had to either shoot down a lil'birb and its repair crew with a mounted machine, a tank or pray they're dumb/you're amazing with an RPG and score a kill. This also allowed gunships to just strafe everything and murder entire teams.

'Course, my experience with BF3 is from the console so it may not be as bad as I remember.

Pretty much, and compounded by BF3 vehicles not having to recharge ammunition (essentially infinite reloads). I am a terrible pilot, but one game on Wake Island, my attack heli gunner racked up something like 107 kills by the time the round ended.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
y;all nerds still gonna be on later?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

TubeStank posted:

y;all nerds still gonna be on later?

I have to get up early tomorrow for a brunch thing, so I'll sadly miss the BF4 reunion. People should play BF4 more in general, that would make me play MGSV less.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Pharnakes posted:

In the EU at least there's 4-6 every night, mosly 48 but with usually atleast 1 64. In the day time even there's normally at least one of the 48s populated. I play pretty much nothing else, unless there's a goon who's too much of a bitch to handle classic I'm playing with. No idea about the US.

That poo poo stings man.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Tasoth posted:

No, it was absolutely as bad as you remember. Caspian Border was particularly bad; if the enemy had the better pilots, then you lost, period. Of course, both jets and gunships were a lot stronger then...

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Backhand posted:

No, it was absolutely as bad as you remember. Caspian Border was particularly bad; if the enemy had the better pilots, then you lost, period. Of course, both jets and gunships were a lot stronger then...

Below Radar was a decent tradeoff, though. By forcing helis to fly low to avoid locks they risked a tank shell or RPG, but they not only couldn't get locked, but they could more reliably hit ground targets on strafing runs. The problem in BF3 was more that the little bird's guns fired so fast and accurately and could kill tanks by default, causing the 2011 Little Bird Sperg epidemic. I'm all for bringing back Below Radar if it also stops stinger/igla locks because it will do wonders for my tank-to-chopper kill habit.

Also worth noting that 360 goons in BF3 had two insane pilot/vehicle people who make chrono and his AA look like a child trying to put a square block through a round hole.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What carbines are good?

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

What carbines are good?

AK5C, AK12U, uh... If you can find one that fits your playstyle, it'll work out for you.

DocImpossible
Dec 25, 2010
BF4 worth buying now? Seems you guys are enjoying it, and I always like Battlefield over CoD. The only thing that kept me from buying it was the poo poo launch, and that's well and over with.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

What carbines are good?

Recently PDWs were buffed and carbines were nerfed. They're still okay, but a lot of the time you'll be surprisingly better off with an SMG nowadays. I'd recommend the MX4 if you want high ROF, and the UMP-9 if you want longer range. That being said, if carbines are really truly the way you want to go, nothing beats the handling on the AK5C, and nothing beats the ROF and hipfire of the MTAR.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 20, 2015

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Anyone know if there is still a decent server population on PS4? I've got that ineradicable itch.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Fuligin posted:

Anyone know if there is still a decent server population on PS4? I've got that ineradicable itch.

If you have a gander at http://bf4stats.com/ you'll find that not only are people still playing it on PS4, it's actually the most popular platform, so I would say yes

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Backhand posted:

nothing beats the handling on the AK5C, and nothing beats the ROF and hipfire of the MTAR.
The AKU-12 is also very stable in automatic fire for longer range shooting, but the low rate of fire makes it lose out close up. I'm also a big fan of the ACE 52 with its higher damage.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012
Great rounds this weekend good to see some of the BF3 and Bf4 guys in there. So yeah still worth the buy and get your asses in mumble and play more. Hell we even had enough on to get a few good(no really I mean it) games of hardline.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Tasoth posted:

AK5C, AK12U, uh... If you can find one that fits your playstyle, it'll work out for you.

MTAR

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

What carbines are good?

SG553 and A91 are both solid, just tool around with them on the range and find one that shoots how you like it.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, it is a good gun, but it's not as good as launch. But if you can handle the recoil (I 5 starred it before the nerf), it's a pretty good gun.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

I don't remember if I'm thinking of BF3 or BF4 but as I recall mines and SLAMs can indeed be stuck on friendly vehicles (with mines you need to put them on the hood of a jeep or something) but they will explode the instant you get out of the vehicle, or if you pass close to an enemy vehicle.

I'd just place AT mines on the front of the jeep and then drive into tanks as fast as I could. Sometimes I'd bounce off and detonate, or detonate early, but most of the time it'd destroy us both. I didn't try bailing out of the jeep much but it seemed extremely unreliable when I did.

I wish I'd played when SLAMs were good, I can never find much of a reason to go for them over AT mines nowadays.

Fuligin posted:

I jumped on a few days ago and it was still fairly active, even if a lot of them are 24/7 Shanghai :negative:

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

PTizzle posted:

I'd just place AT mines on the front of the jeep and then drive into tanks as fast as I could. Sometimes I'd bounce off and detonate, or detonate early, but most of the time it'd destroy us both. I didn't try bailing out of the jeep much but it seemed extremely unreliable when I did.

I wish I'd played when SLAMs were good, I can never find much of a reason to go for them over AT mines nowadays.

I jumped on a few days ago and it was still fairly active, even if a lot of them are 24/7 Shanghai :negative:

Better against light vehicles, dicking around antics and the don't blink at night.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Really great games tonight, we had a pile of guys on and it was good times despite a couple rounds with two really sketchy players. Remember to get in mumble; the night started with three guys who were all in the same server but not on voice.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I recently picked this up again cause bordem. Any Aus Goons still playing?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

DocImpossible posted:

BF4 worth buying now? Seems you guys are enjoying it, and I always like Battlefield over CoD. The only thing that kept me from buying it was the poo poo launch, and that's well and over with.

Yea dude it's fun as hell, especially with a squad full of your bros on VOIP

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012
With more of us playing again and a few new people I figure it is time for a small(ish) sperg post about attachments to clear up some confusion and help new players.

Accuracy is a combination of initial spread, spread per shot and horizontal recoil, vertical recoil is almost 100% controllable with practice and does not factor into this.
Recoil works like this for horizontal recoil it is a randomly determined value between the left and right this makes it impossible to counter. Vertical recoil is a fixed max with a variation of up to -10%(averaging to 95%ish of the max).
Initial spread and spread per shot are fixed values that are only modified by attachments, time to spread decrease is a fixed value only modified by attachments.

All grip attachments have a minor 1-2 frames at 60FPS increase to the spread reset time. The angled is all but useless on non DMR's because it only decreases vertical recoil. Stubby reduces max ads spread(very minor decrease) and spread increase per shot. The ergo provides a sizable decrease(50%) to MOVING ads and hip fire spread but has no effect on standing/crouch/prone fire.

Barrel attachments are more interesting. The flash hider has ZERO positives save removing muzzle flash but does increase spread per shot. The muzzle brake unsurprisingly lowers vertical recoil by 10% and increases spread per shot. These two are effectively useless and should really never be used. The suppressors remove muzzle flash, removes showing up on the minimap while shooting, reduces muzzle velocity(to about 300m/s) and increases Nonmoving hip fire initial spread(does not change moving hip fire or any ads spread). Heavy barrel less initial spread, less spread increase per shot, less moving spread(minor) increases vertical recoil. The Compensator gives less horizontal recoil with a increase to spread per shot.

lasers give hipfire bonuses no downsides besides being viable to the everyone. Bipods are a 75+ % bonus to pretty much everything but you can't move(LMG's get the most out of this). These attachments have no negatives and will only positively change the guns performance.

Ok basics being out of the way, some minor "rule of thumb" type things. On 800+rpm weapons and most PDW's a compinsator will actually provide better results on the first 6 shots or so making it a better choice than a heavy barrel. On sub 700 rpm guns the heavy barrel will out perform the compensator. Between these RPM ranges it will depend on the horizontal recoil to determine what is going to work the best(usually the Hbar wins).

Grips depend on playstyle, run and gun = ergo, stop and pop = stubby.

Guns that break the rules, M4, M16A4 and the AN-94 due to the first shot recoil modifier only being applied to the last shot of the burst these weapons will perform better with the angled grip and the muzzle brake causing the shot patterns to be more focused and allowing for easier hits with the full burst at longer ranges. With the low number of shots in the burst plus the rapid spread decrease these are very accurate when set up like this.

At no point and on ZERO guns is running a "naked" gun better no matter what any youtubers say. The 1-2 frame hit on barrels is not going to get you killed in any situation that you would not have died in anyhow. So if you took you attachments off after the summer patch put them the gently caress back on, your only hurting your performance by running the naked guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I would argue that some of those things are statistically verifiable but have upsides or downsides outside of combat. Lasers have no downside whatsoever EXCEPT for the fact that they increase player visibility, and can sometimes give you away if you are attempting to stay still and keep a low profile; it's not something that can be easily quantified, and it may or may not matter in any individual case, but it is there. It's also worth noting that laser lights is scattered and defused by smoke, massively increasing its visibility. Running through a smoke grenade with a laser sight on waves a giant 'shoot here' sign to any enemies watching it.

I would also argue that decreasing vertical recoil is not entirely useless. A player can endlessly compensate for vertical recoil by means of skill in theory - but in practice this isn't always the case. A good example would be the desert eagle, which suffers from extreme recoil that makes followup shots very problematic. Even if you're compensating for it, it's heavy enough that it's going to give you trouble.

• Locked thread