Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

lol PCI/HIPAA compliance
it's a sad life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Anyone actually use onedrive for business? Seems pretty janky.
I've been spoiled by the Dropbox client I guess.

Swink fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 23, 2015

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org
OneDrive for Business uses SharePoint as its backend, and the client itself using some different software from Personal.

And yeah, its pretty lovely our clients pretty much rebel if we try to move them to it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Another vote for OneDrive for business being lovely. Last I checked the basic OneDrive had more features than the business version. Dropbox for business has been simple enough to get users to use and they love it. Thats been the case for the small mom and pop side jobs at least for me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

OneDrive for Business is so bad that the backend that runs it is being ripped out and replaced by whatever runs the consumer version.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I hate to echo things but onedrive is pretty garbage. My users could use it, they would rather use ftp.

Which is some kinda bizarre poo poo.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a good free option for self service password resets?

EDIT: I'm ashamed of my posting ability and terrible skills in clarification. Active directory password resets to be more precise.

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 23, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

OneDrive for Business is so bad that the backend that runs it is being ripped out and replaced by whatever runs the consumer version.

Will it be worth a look then? Is the consumer version less poo poo?

I really like everything about it 'on paper' but I don't want to tout something that will cause me grief.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Swink posted:

I really like everything about it 'on paper' but I don't want to tout something that will cause me grief.

I run the consumer version because it's included in my personal office purchase.

I pay for Dropbox rather than use it for anything other than throwaway files that I don't want to count towards my Dropbox space. It's really not nearly as elegant and tends to be really laggy compared to Dropbox. Dropbox does differential updates, which OneDrive does not, which is also nice.

I mean, it's probably better than OneDrive for Business, but it's not impressing me either. Dropbox is way more solid IMO

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I'll delay until the new product is released. Dropbox is wonderful but we get a terabyte free with our O365 sub so it's orrery impossible to justify purchasing Dropbox as well as our on premise storage needs.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Swink posted:

The consumer version is surprisingly decent. The business version is utter, utter crap. We're using Office 365 for our schools and OneDrive is borderline malicious.

MS promised a revised OneDrive client this month which should solve most of the current problems, but I'm not holding my breath.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org
My boss has a strange obsession with Microsoft ever since o365 came out and he's pushed super hard to move clients to OneDrive. So like instead of using Mozy/Carbonite/whatever for workstation backups he'll just say "move to OneDrive and then its backed up" (regardless of how technically true or untrue this is, particularly if you needed an old version of a file).

So we'll move a client to it and just literally copy all of their Documents into OneDrive. And then watch as OneDrive proceeds to poo poo all over itself trying to sync files with "illegal" characters in their name like # and % (ok to be fair, they very recently fixed this, but seriously there isn't another cloud storage I know of that has issues like that). Another issue I've seen is files being locked for editing, as if they were opened by another user, forcing you to save to a different location and then copy over the original file.

I can't tell you how hard it is to pretend like I think OneDrive is a good solution. A little part of me dies when lying to our clients about it.

jmu fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 24, 2015

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I also work at a school that uses 365/OneDrive for everything. gently caress it to hell. I would never in a million years recommend it to anyone.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

jmu posted:

Another issue I've seen is files being locked for editing, as if they were opened by another user, forcing you to save to a different location and then copy over the original file.

Isn't this fixed with office 2016 and the multi-user editing feature? I haven't had a chance to play with 2016 but it should solve the other lovely software issue.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

If I recall there were file size limits with OneDrive for business as well that would've affected out engineering users had we stuck with it. On top of all the general errors it would spit out while trying to sync. Troubleshooting from Microsoft was to always delete everything and try a new sync from scratch.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Onedrive is a loving joke. As is typical of microsoft recently, everything they make is badly thought out and buggy as hell. Android is going to eat their loving lunch.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

redeyes posted:

Onedrive is a loving joke. As is typical of microsoft recently, everything they make is badly thought out and buggy as hell. Android is going to eat their loving lunch.
MS Gripes....

Problem with MS is it's all silos so you don't know what product is good or bad till you use it.

My biggest gripe is that cannot seem to unify their online identities, it's what keeps me going all in on MS products, it confuses the poo poo out of users to have 2 different MS accounts that can have different passwords, features changing all the time, different rates, etc. it's like there is a slap fight between the o365 team and the undying corpse of the Hotmail/Outlook team, animated by the user base of your high school email account. Google at least keeps it all within the same account.

The two accounts do not exists side by side on a workstations without causing mis-syncs between at least one product; pretty much unfixable short of "delete everything"

O365 - Exchange Online - pretty good

Onenote - Skype - Onedrive - Good but plagued by disparate versions, generally syncing buggyness

Windows 10 - Great by itself just as 8.1 was. DO NOT LET CLIENTS GO FROM 7 to 10 inplace unless you want to have a really lovely week.

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 28, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I'm going to be moving 160 machines from 7 to 10 early next year. What issues did you have with the in place upgrade?

Also thanks all for the unanimous derision of onedrive for business. :)

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Swink posted:

I'm going to be moving 160 machines from 7 to 10 early next year. What issues did you have with the in place upgrade?

Also thanks all for the unanimous derision of onedrive for business. :)

Make sure you do a sfc /scannow immediately after upgrading. But yeah it's best to avoid doing the upgrade. Clean install is best.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Halo14 posted:

Make sure you do a sfc /scannow immediately after upgrading. But yeah it's best to avoid doing the upgrade. Clean install is best.

People actually upgrade computers to a new OS rather than reinstall? (in a business). *shudder*

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
It works better than it ever has before, but yes fresh install is the preferred option. Don't know how that's going to go with all the oem licenses I'm dealing with.
Boss expects to upgrade everyone for free but I don't know what that means if all I hav have is a win7 key

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Swink posted:

It works better than it ever has before, but yes fresh install is the preferred option. Don't know how that's going to go with all the oem licenses I'm dealing with.
Boss expects to upgrade everyone for free but I don't know what that means if all I hav have is a win7 key

Here ya go.

2nd paragraph

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

hope you dont have a lot of users.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Swink posted:

How much is your time worth compared to buying new licenses... because I feel like doing clean image of win10 would take a fraction of the time compared to in place upgrade on 160 workstations

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks for the link. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to "punch my own face".

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Swink posted:

;-*

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Swink posted:

Well holy poo poo, for once I keep a thread on topic.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

How much is your time worth compared to buying new licenses... because I feel like doing clean image of win10 would take a fraction of the time compared to in place upgrade on 160 workstations

Depends how much it costs to buy 160 Win10 Pro licences. If it's more than the cost of upgrading ( $Nothing ) then my boss is not going to go for it.

I don't think it'll be too bad. Each machine will be upgraded, registered with microsoft, then freshly imaged and delivered to the user.

I'm probably breaking several OEM Licencing rules here but my mandate is to make poo poo work for the least amount of expense.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Swink posted:

Depends how much it costs to buy 160 Win10 Pro licences. If it's more than the cost of upgrading ( $Nothing ) then my boss is not going to go for it.

I don't think it'll be too bad. Each machine will be upgraded, registered with microsoft, then freshly imaged and delivered to the user.

I'm probably breaking several OEM Licencing rules here but my mandate is to make poo poo work for the least amount of expense.

It's going to suck when you need to manage 160 individual system images. Windows 10 doesn't really offer any "new" features anyway, the most cost effective way to deal with it just not upgrade.

I really hope they bow to pressure to do a key registration replacement/conversion. It kind of sucks now to do in place upgrades, it's going to suck way worse in 3 years when we are still flashing system this way. Alot of small jobs involve flashing that still need to take place that way will still be a massive pain in the rear end. It's going to make the consumer market even less serviceable.

Small shops are going to bear the brunt of this as every normal person goes and claims their free Windows 10 upgrade on their Costco/Bestbuy/Walmart tupperware special.

I think MS is overestimating the capabilities their user base by a long shot.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Swink posted:

but it's not really nothing. For the cost to be nothing you need to not do the work. Which brings me to

quote:

my mandate is to make poo poo work for the least amount of expense.

just don't upgrade at all. Windows 7 has five years left.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Oh shitballs. I figured it would just know based on the hardware profile. Ugh.

Sticking with Win7 is definitely something I plan to put forward. We have a growing fleet of Surface Pros that could do with the switch to 10 though.

but it's not really nothing. For the cost to be nothing you need to not do the work. Which brings me to

This kind of thinking is not factored in. My salary is already spent. Capex budget would need to be found somewhere. Lecturing management on where they are wasting money will get me a large middle finger in the face and a HR meeting on why I am blocking progress.

Swink fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 29, 2015

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

just don't upgrade at all. Windows 7 has five years left.
quoted for truth. We'll probably run 7 for 3 more years before beginning our migration.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

adorai posted:

quoted for truth. We'll probably run 7 for 3 more years before beginning our migration.

Same here. I think we are roughly planning to migrate in 2017.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Swink posted:

Oh shitballs. I figured it would just know based on the hardware profile. Ugh.

Sticking with Win7 is definitely something I plan to put forward. We have a growing fleet of Surface Pros that could do with the switch to 10 though.

Just had 2 surface pros come into my office yesterday with horked wifi stacks due to VPN clients installed. Had to roll back. Even after uninstall did not take the upgrade "clean"

Have fun in hardware debugging hell!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I know people recently were talking about One Drive in this thread. We have been abusing our webhost as an FTP apparently for the last few years and they aren't too happy. They have an "unlimited storage" policy and if you creep into the top 0.05% of usage they ask you to justify every file in relation to your website. My predecessor set this whole thing up, and now I'm scrambling to get a working solution before they delete all of our stuff (~50GB of product images, and psd files that should be in a shared drive instead).

We need some of this to go to outside companies so we need something. We have office 365, so we have one drive. The $75/month for dropbox is a bit much. I could probably get it paid for but it would be hard to argue in favor of it when we have One Drive already. How much trouble is this going to give me, and is that new version out yet? Is there a link to an article about the new version for business anywhere?

I'm not even sure the other companies are going to be okay with either solution but want to know what I'm getting myself into with One Drive.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

You could justify the expense as paying $75 for something that will actually work and wont cause you to spend a ton of man hours attempting to fix. Especially when the "fix" is to delete everything on OneDrive and try to re-sync and hope it works. There are plenty of alternatives to OneDrive and Dropbox too. Box comes to mind and has pretty good enterprise support and features from what I can remember.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

pixaal posted:

I know people recently were talking about One Drive in this thread. We have been abusing our webhost as an FTP apparently for the last few years and they aren't too happy. They have an "unlimited storage" policy and if you creep into the top 0.05% of usage they ask you to justify every file in relation to your website. My predecessor set this whole thing up, and now I'm scrambling to get a working solution before they delete all of our stuff (~50GB of product images, and psd files that should be in a shared drive instead).

We need some of this to go to outside companies so we need something. We have office 365, so we have one drive. The $75/month for dropbox is a bit much. I could probably get it paid for but it would be hard to argue in favor of it when we have One Drive already. How much trouble is this going to give me, and is that new version out yet? Is there a link to an article about the new version for business anywhere?

I'm not even sure the other companies are going to be okay with either solution but want to know what I'm getting myself into with One Drive.
If everyone is used to using FTP you could throw a server up really quick on AWS or a similiar cloud provider, it'd be pretty cheap with that amount of data. Also, if you're using the Exchange portion of o365, it has that large 'attachment' feature where it basically just uploads a file into one drive and sends the recipient a link for it, but that's better for one-off type stuff than assets people continually need access to.

wyoak fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 2, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

pixaal posted:

You'll need to sign up for the preview to get the sync tool, they're doing a staged rollout:

https://preview.onedrive.com/sync

Here's some info about what it does:

https://blog.onedrive.com/meet-the-new-onedrive-for-business/
https://www.thurrott.com/cloud/office-365/6412/microsoft-finally-ships-improved-onedrive-for-business-sync-client-for-windows-and-mac

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

wyoak posted:

If everyone is used to using FTP you could throw a server up really quick on AWS or a similiar cloud provider, it'd be pretty cheap with that amount of data. Also, if you're using the Exchange portion of o365, it has that large 'attachment' feature where it basically just uploads a file into one drive and sends the recipient a link for it, but that's better for one-off type stuff than assets people continually need access to.

Is Amazon really like $0.03/GB with pretty much no strings attached? I could probably sell that.

Looks like it doesn't support 8.1 until "future" we're on 8.1. The sole IT guy before me purchased new hardware about 2 months before he left with 8.1 to replace the windows XP. I'd prefer 7, but 8.1 is fine with me. It also looks like it's doing more syncing then uploading dropbox web style. We'd prefer to keep the files off of any computer and use it more of a share. Thinking about it could I use one drive on the server to throw a mapped drive into the cloud? This is probably a terrible idea but if we already have it might as well try and make it work before saying "Internet says this is bad let's not attempt it".

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

pixaal posted:

OneDrive for Business is going to give you problems such as
1. if the file has an illegal character it won't sync/upload
2. your external people won't be able to upload files easily unless it's one at a time (web interface).
3. nobody will be able to use their ftp client
4. file size limit 2gb per file. idk how big your files are but for example, an ISO of a DVD won't go.

solutions for you if FTP suits your needs:
1. throw a vm in your dmz and make it an ftp server if you want the free solution. this would keep everything exactly the way it is, with the added benefit of you can more easily back it up and maybe a little slower depending on your bandwidth.

2. the above but on aws like wyoak suggested

3. brickftp https://brickftp.com/pricing/ $50/mo for FTP. this is what we use. why I don't know, it Just Works I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

OneDrive for Business is going to give you problems such as
1. if the file has an illegal character it won't sync/upload
2. your external people won't be able to upload files easily unless it's one at a time (web interface).
3. nobody will be able to use their ftp client
4. file size limit 2gb per file. idk how big your files are but for example, an ISO of a DVD won't go.

solutions for you if FTP suits your needs:
1. throw a vm in your dmz and make it an ftp server if you want the free solution. this would keep everything exactly the way it is, with the added benefit of you can more easily back it up and maybe a little slower depending on your bandwidth.

2. the above but on aws like wyoak suggested

3. brickftp https://brickftp.com/pricing/ $50/mo for FTP. this is what we use. why I don't know, it Just Works I guess.

I'm leaning towards AWS, people keep trying to use it as the sole repository of files, and sadly the old stuff is named terribly and people want to be able to thumbnail the images. OneDrive seems like it could do this easily. I could probably rig up a script to sync a folder with the AWS site though so people are still able to work from it. Not that One Drive even does that since it refuses to use a network drive as the sync point and doesn't support server 2008 I don't have new hardware coming until Q2 next year.

Is Amazon AWS really $0.03 per gig used and $0.09 per gig of bandwidth? I'm pretty sure this is going to cost in the $2-3 range which is great.

Brickftp seems a bit pricey for what I need. I think dropbox would go over a bit better for around the same ball park. Free isn't needed, but when we were paying $5/month hiking that up to 10times the rate just isn't going to happen.