Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

SS2, I think, is kind of in the same bucket as Thief 2: the best parts are really good, some of LGS's best work, and it's scary as gently caress, but it's also quite variable in quality and the bad parts are really bad. And (again, like TMA) a lot of the bad parts are back-loaded, so you're more likely to be leaving with a bad impression. SS1 is more consistently good and this, I think, makes it a better game overall.

To bring things back to roguelikes, I've actually idly toyed with the idea of making a System Shock roguelike. Unlike Doom/DoomRL, Shock has a lot more scope for cool toys and abilities built in without the necessity of grafting on a class/level system and weapon crafting, for example. On the flip side, introducing stuff like that might encourage more variation in gameplay across runs. It could also be kind of fun to load up the original SS1 levels and see how well they work top-down (my guess is "not well").

Not happening any time soon, though. TTYmor is a big enough project, and ShockRL would be even bigger.

ShockRL would be pretty great. And you could practically port the character system over wholesale. Now i'm imagining a roguelike where character creation takes place on a map you actually walk around on, in-game, making choices that directly determine your character build.

Even better if it's scenarios you have to play out instead of "Pick one of these three doors" (although maybe leave that as an option).

A basketball has to be hidden on the map.

Edit: ASCIIShock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Just don't forget the most important part of a System Shock game: SHODAN dialing me up every 20 minutes to tell me I suck, I'm useless, I'm her bitch, she's going to punish me, etc. System Shock: bringing out the inner Sub in all of us.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

RickVoid posted:

ShockRL would be pretty great. And you could practically port the character system over wholesale. Now i'm imagining a roguelike where character creation takes place on a map you actually walk around on, in-game, making choices that directly determine your character build.

Even better if it's scenarios you have to play out instead of "Pick one of these three doors" (although maybe leave that as an option).

A basketball has to be hidden on the map.

Edit: ASCIIShock.

:science: That's all SS2; for this I was thinking more SS1, although there's no reason elements from SS2 couldn't be incorporated as well to great effect.

In SS1, there's no skillpoint system and no real "RPG Elements™" at all. You can use any gear you find immediately, although there's a limit to how many weapons you can carry. New abilities are gained or upgraded by finding implants and plugging them into your skull (and there's no limit on how many you can have online at once, unlike SS2). These abilities range from things like a flashlight (which eventually gets upgraded into a room-illuminating floodlight) to force shields, omnidirectional vision, rocket skates, and flight. Cyberspace (which is consists of separate wireframe levels with 6DOF -- the SS2 version in the last level is a sad imitation) has its own set of upgrades and consumables. For all that SS2 has you filled with "military-grade cybergoodies", the hacker at the end of SS1 is a lot scarier than Goggles ever gets in SS2.

I'm not sure how well most of this would translate into a roguelike, but it's cool as hell. Once the ttymor engine is up and running I'd be kind of tempted to just prototype some of it in a simple arena mode to play around with.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Well hey looks like tower climb is out on steam now!

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Apart from the exhausting controlol scheme, i thought System Shock 1 was cooler looking and more fun to play than part dos. Some sort of AsciiShock sounds very interesting imo.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Harminoff posted:

Holy poo poo.

Hey you guys should play Tower Climb because it's incredible.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Wow, I bought Tower Climb 3 years ago, never thought it'd actually be finished and be on Steam. It's a lot of fun though, I'd highly recommend it if you like climbing gigantic procedurally generated towers.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Harminoff posted:

Do you get a key if you bought this $ages ago from his site?

e: Yes? I think? https://twitter.com/Davioware/status/646418600753020929
e2: 15€ is not going to go over well.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 22, 2015

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

haha he removed all of the text that showed up when you picked up items and it doesn't even include a manual like the beta so tower climb is even more obtuse now. It's so good though

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Towerclimb is one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played and I love it, but it's hard to see it ever making it as a break out success in a market absolutely saturated with indie roguelike crap. I wish it all the best, though.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fuligin posted:

Towerclimb is one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played and I love it, but it's hard to see it ever making it as a break out success in a market absolutely saturated with indie roguelike crap. I wish it all the best, though.

Heck at this point a release is already a success. I agree with you that it's unlikely to stand out among its crappier brethren, though.

Waiting for an email from the dude with a Steam key or a DRM-free build... bought in a couple years back.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I bought it as well a few years back on an old isp email address I no longer have access to. Hopefully he adds the keys to the site as well.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Harminoff posted:

I bought it as well a few years back on an old isp email address I no longer have access to. Hopefully he adds the keys to the site as well.

You should probably tweet at them or find an address to email

apparently davioware@davioware.com

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 23, 2015

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

lets hang out posted:

haha he removed all of the text that showed up when you picked up items and it doesn't even include a manual like the beta so tower climb is even more obtuse now. It's so good though

Speaking of which, what are the controls?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Fayez Butts posted:

Speaking of which, what are the controls?

I figured out that in the controls menu if you click outside the box it tells you to click on to rebind the button it'll tell you what it's currently assigned to.

Uh but by default I think X is jump, Shift is run/hold, C stores what you're holding in inventory or pulls something out if you're not holding anything, A is jump potion, S is corrosive potion, D is teleport potion, W shows your inventory, and umm I can't actually remember what the default keys are to cycle through inventory slots because I changed them immediately, sorry.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo tower climb.

Time to dig out my receipt and take another kick at it. I really liked what time I spent on that game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ExiledTinkerer posted:

The 2015 ARRP festivities, such as they are, have been unleashed upon the world!

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=2015_ARRP

Said unleashment thus far constitutes Rng clrc, which does seem/sound spiffy as a mix of traditional and not-so-traditional doings:

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Rng_clrc

Cross your fingers for the rest on the list alongside any surprise releases out of nowhere folks---it may not be the 7DRL myriad buffet, but these at least tend to stand a chance at Going Places ultimately~

RNG clrc seems like a cool game so far, but it's pretty obtuse and I have no idea what I'm doing. I died in the starting town by fireballing a tree and then stepping into the resulting fire. (Not on my first character, but on my third!)

I also have no idea what Wit does. Maybe it has to do with writing scrolls, although I haven't seen any yet.

e: Okay apparently stepping on any burning object hurts you. Killed a goblin with a torch, stepped over to pick up the torch, oh hey my inventory's on fire.

e2: The game seems to sometimes crash when things get lit on fire, which is a pretty big problem in a game where fire is a central mechanic.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 23, 2015

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

oh nevermind Towerclimb's manual is in Steam http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/396640/manuals/TowerClimb_Manual.pdf?t=1442936282

also I was watching a guy stream it the other day and he figured out that if you're holding run and press jump + left or right at the same time you can do a high jump at running speed, which wasn't possible in the betas. A dev was in the chat and he said it was a bug that he left in intentionally because it's cool.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 23, 2015

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Roguelike dev general interest. This was a surprisingly tricky problem. I wanted to take a set of regions like this and find the biggest rectangle in each of them. (In this particular case as a way to generate a tent city layout for Caves of Qud)

I went in thinking "Ok just find the biggest rectangle.." and a few minutes later coming out scratching my head, realizing it was a way less trivial problem to solve in a reasonable amount of time than I thought.

So after a little digging, an O(n) solution turned up, which was to rip the thing to individual row histograms in an O(n) pass, and then do this stack-based dynamic programming solution to solve each one O(n): http://tech-queries.blogspot.com/2011/03/maximum-area-rectangle-in-histogram.html

Input Grid, per row histograms (basically saying how many 0s from that cell up) and area for that bar of the histogram (basically building up one row at a time top to bottom)

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
No one's posted the release trailer for Towerclimb yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXtAmFDZT_U

gently caress this game is pretty. I finally got my steam key in the mail from my beta purchase - can't wait to dive climb back in.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Alehkhs posted:

Because they already posted that it's released. On this page.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

coyo7e posted:

Because they already posted that it's released. On this page.

I'm aware...

Alehkhs posted:

*Look ma, one of them newfangled moving pictures!*

gently caress this game is pretty.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Alehkhs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXtAmFDZT_U

gently caress this game is pretty. I finally got my steam key in the mail from my beta purchase - can't wait to dive climb back in.

I admit that I was too lazy to look it up when people were talking about it but now I'm definitely going to grab this. Thanks :effort:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I dunno why they recorded that trailer with the butt ugly smoothing filter on. Game looks really nice without it.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
No doubt everyone in this thread has two copies already, buuuut Dungeonmans is 33% off for the next 7 days to celebrate the Fightamin D update!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/288120

Patch Notes: http://steamcommunity.com/games/288120/announcements/detail/799743768674683418

If you didn't know already, Dungeonmans is the perfect refresher for when you're tired of being hated by robot birds for boofing them with salt dildos, or whatever other far-future character flaw Hand of Luke has been accusing you of.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Is porting Dungeonmans to mac at all in your list of things you'll consider?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

nutranurse posted:

It is, but the cost->benefit ratio is terrible. It would have to be a weekend project and I have a few other more entertaining weekend projects. I got an offer to have it ported to Mac for me by an outside team, which would then put the game in a bundle and recoup bundle sales until they were paid for the work they did porting it. I passed, since it wasn't really bundle time for Dungeonmans yet.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

madjackmcmad posted:

It is, but the cost->benefit ratio is terrible. It would have to be a weekend project and I have a few other more entertaining weekend projects. I got an offer to have it ported to Mac for me by an outside team, which would then put the game in a bundle and recoup bundle sales until they were paid for the work they did porting it. I passed, since it wasn't really bundle time for Dungeonmans yet.

Your game is too good to go in poo poo bundles. Not sure how all that works, but hold out for a quality bundle if you can.

In other news, holy poo poo Towerclimb's control scheme is as bad as I remember. That is a game that really needs the ability to map to a gamepad. I want to couch play.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Jordan7hm posted:

Your game is too good to go in poo poo bundles. Not sure how all that works, but hold out for a quality bundle if you can.

In other news, holy poo poo Towerclimb's control scheme is as bad as I remember. That is a game that really needs the ability to map to a gamepad. I want to couch play.

I just mapped to my wired 360 controller in the settings just fine.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

But you can map to a gamepad? Just tap the gamepad keys at the config screen.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

transitioning from the side of a block to hanging underneath it seems even trickier than usual with a gamepad. I guess that isn't essential but it's sure nice sometimes

e: well maybe it's not so hard. feels weird to use an analog stick for this but i can't get dpad to work really at all

korora
Sep 3, 2011

nutranurse posted:

It's a bit of extra effort but Dungeonmans runs pretty well in wine. I posted my steps to get it running somewhere in the Dungeonmans thread.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Post poste posted:

But you can map to a gamepad? Just tap the gamepad keys at the config screen.

weird, it wasn't detecting my pad. I'll try again.

e: it works, but the controls are not good, because it detects diagonals via the combined input. gamepad seems basically unusable. Am I doing something wrong here?

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 26, 2015

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Jordan7hm posted:

weird, it wasn't detecting my pad. I'll try again.

e: it works, but the controls are not good, because it detects diagonals via the combined input. gamepad seems basically unusable. Am I doing something wrong here?

Nope. Maybe they'll patch it.

You can use xpadder or something like it and bind the diagonals to hit both directions at once, like this

Or you can use an analog stick. When you do there's a funny thing where if you're on the side of a wall and you hold the stick toward the wall you'll grip it instead of sliding down, like you would if you were holding the jump button. Which uh is really nice and makes the game a lot easier to control, but I can't figure out any way to get it working with digital controls.

maybe some other program could mirror the analog stick to the dpad, that would do it. I can't figure out how to make xpadder do that.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 26, 2015

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Unormal posted:

Roguelike dev general interest.

I'm not a roguelike dev, but this kind of post is great. Sounds like programming in a nutshell.

"Oh this shouldn't be so bad..."
"Well, poo poo."

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

honestly after trying like 10 different ways to control towerclimb i think just plugging in a 360 controller and using the analog stick works best

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Piggybacking on the development talk, I'll crosspost this from the Makin' Games thread. I took a break from gameplay stuff this week to rewrite Roggle's map generator. Maps used to be giant squares of confusion; now they're looking a lot more directed / dungeonlike.

You can play with it yourself here if you'd like. Press space to re-roll the map.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Deacon of Delicious posted:

I'm not a roguelike dev, but this kind of post is great. Sounds like programming in a nutshell.

"Oh this shouldn't be so bad..."
"Well, poo poo."

FYI here's my final O(n) solver: https://pastebin.com/jBqyd0Kb (e: fixed a bug)

Largest rect marked with #

Unormal fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 27, 2015

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

lets hang out posted:

honestly after trying like 10 different ways to control towerclimb i think just plugging in a 360 controller and using the analog stick works best

Personally I like the default keyboard controls. Your hands get all cramped and sweaty, just as if you were actually gripping onto a sheer rock wall!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I am very angry that you write
code:
}
else
{
instead of
code: