Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

WhyteRyce posted:

So the 6p will be ugly as sin and have an 810 in it? Fantastic

This is what worries me. I mean I have a N6 already, so I'll probably not upgrade until 2016, but from what we've seen of the 810... that's not good. Though apparently there's a v2.1 of the chipset that solves the overheating issues...?

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

No mention of Qi on the 5X....it has quick charge, but those aren't compatible right?

What? Plenty of phones have Qi and Quick Charge 2.0, such as last year's Nexus 6. Don't see any reason QC 3.0 wouldn't be compatible with Qi or Quick Charge Qi either.

bull3964 posted:

I doubt it. Notification LEDs seem to be replaced by ambient display.

Thankfully, though I can't imagine adding a notification LED is particularly costly, difficult, or hard to find space for, for those that still want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DemonMage posted:

Though apparently there's a v2.1 of the chipset that solves the overheating issues...?

Nope!

Turns out Oneplus was blowing smoke up everyone's rear end (surprise!) and pretty much all devices since launch were using v2.1.

Also, Nexus phones only having ambient notifications is one of the reasons why I couldn't truly consider one right now. I need to be able to tell at a glance if a new notification came through since the last time I looked at my phone. A one time only flash doesn't really do it for me there.

Motorola has pretty much ruined me for notifications on any other device. Active display or bust.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 23, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Nope!

Turns out Oneplus was blowing smoke up everyone's rear end (surprise!) and pretty much all devices since launch were using v2.1.

Also, Nexus phones only having ambient notifications is one of the reasons why I couldn't truly consider one right now. I need to be able to tell at a glance if a new notification came through since the last time I looked at my phone. I one time only flash doesn't really do it for me there.

Motorola has pretty much ruined me for notifications on any other device. Active display or bust.

Wasn't it HTC saying that there was a version 2.1 of the 810?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Skeezy posted:

Wasn't it HTC saying that there was a version 2.1 of the 810?

No, HTC is who called OnePlus on their bullshit and said that theirs was 2.1 as well.

Here's what oneplus said

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/oneplus-2-cpu-qualcomm-snapdragon-810-v2-1.316786/

quote:

Although there have been reports that the 810 runs warmer than its predecessors, we assure you that we have taken all the necessary precautions and beyond to prevent this from occurring in the 2. We worked very closely with Qualcomm’s engineers to integrate an improved version of the chipset (v2.1) in the OnePlus 2, and fine-tuned both hardware and software. The 2 will be “cooler than ever”.

So, the implication here is they have a special snowflake v2.1 that they worked with Qualcomm with when pretty much every shipping 810 device was v2.1 from the start.

Here was HTC's response.

https://twitter.com/urbanstrata/status/621378098198507521?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

quote:

The truth, according to what Qualcomm tells me, is virtually all OEMs who've announced devices with Snapdragon 810 are currently using v2.1.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Whelp, took less than a week.

The Turbo is a quaint toy phone now. X reigns supreme. Viva la big phone!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

bull3964 posted:

No, HTC is who called OnePlus on their bullshit and said that theirs was 2.1 as well.

Here's what oneplus said

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/oneplus-2-cpu-qualcomm-snapdragon-810-v2-1.316786/

So, the implication here is they have a special snowflake v2.1 that they worked with Qualcomm with when pretty much every shipping 810 device was v2.1 from the start.

Actually what OnePlus did was underclock the poo poo out of the chip and add more heat dispersion stuff to the phone. So technically they're not lying and for them that's pretty good.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Everyone's underclocking the hell out of the chip and thermal throttling it to poo poo, that's what makes it "2.1"

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
A couple of time in the last day or so, I've noticed that my phone's on cellular data instead of wifi when I wake it up. It'll switch back to wifi after a few seconds, but I've got the "always on" option checked, so I don't k of why it would be falling back to cell data. This has happened both at home and at school. I've got a 2014 Moto X running 5.1.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hooah posted:

A couple of time in the last day or so, I've noticed that my phone's on cellular data instead of wifi when I wake it up. It'll switch back to wifi after a few seconds, but I've got the "always on" option checked, so I don't k of why it would be falling back to cell data. This has happened both at home and at school. I've got a 2014 Moto X running 5.1.

It seems to be a bug in the 2014 X. However, it seems like it might still be connected to WiFi and just not showing it as connected.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

That new nexus is ugly as all gently caress. Decision to get the Note 5 further justified.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

bull3964 posted:

Whelp, took less than a week.

The Turbo is a quaint toy phone now. X reigns supreme. Viva la big phone!

I can't decide if I want an X or a 5X Ugggghhhh

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

hooah posted:

I've been having a similar issue for the last few days with my Nexus 6 but assumed it was just my ancient router finally giving up.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is Smart Network Switch on? It automatically switches to data if the wifi connection is poo poo.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

TraderStav posted:

I'm in the same boat. As much as I like the Moto G I am having some serious tech lust at the moment and want to upgrade already. There is nothing WRONG with the G, but feel like I want more. How is the battery on the Note? Very interested to see how the 5x plays out. OIS camera may tip me over to that.

How is the battery going for you on the S6? If the Nexus 5x/6p are losers I may pick one of these two up.

I have had no issues. Screen is great and battery life lasts me the day. No slowdowns or anything yet.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
What's the deal with ambient display stuff on the new Moto phones? They have LCD screens right? Is it still like last generation's Moto Display? Does it kill the battery?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Ragingsheep posted:

Is Smart Network Switch on? It automatically switches to data if the wifi connection is poo poo.

I don't see that option, but I have "avoid bad wifi connections" unchecked.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mogomra posted:

What's the deal with ambient display stuff on the new Moto phones? They have LCD screens right? Is it still like last generation's Moto Display? Does it kill the battery?

In order.

Yes, yes, no noticeable impact.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Ragingsheep posted:

Hey neat, never knew about this! Thanks.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Just got an update on my Moto X 2014, description says it is the stagefright fix.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Red Warrior posted:

Just got an update on my Moto X 2014, description says it is the stagefright fix.

Got mine too. Not exactly thrilled with how long that took

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

Got mine too. Not exactly thrilled with how long that took

im pretty sure my Droid Turbo will never get another update again

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Ragingsheep posted:

I also found my 2013 X would drop WiFi in favor of data in parts of my house because it only wanted to use 5ghz channels. Once I told the phone to only use 2.4ghz, the problem went away.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like the Blackberry Venice has it's real name now.

http://phandroid.com/2015/09/24/blackberry-priv-venice-wallpaper-download/

Blackberry Priv. That's...unfortunate.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Yick, would have been much better to just stick with Venice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My mind keeps changing Priv to Perv for some reason.

Nexus 5x benches have shown up.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3527681

Confirms 2gb ram (at least in that config).

The Geekbench scores are a bit behind the Moto X Pure which is a little odd since they use the same chipset and the Pure has a higher resolution screen. Possibly a side effect of Marshmallow not working well with the benchmark program.

Nexus 5x did 1000 single and 2919 multicore where the Moto X Pure has been benchmarked around 1200 single and 3500 multicore. The LG G4 with the some chipset is around 1100/3100 so there certainly seems to be some variance here.

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

bull3964 posted:

It's because it likes to be touched.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

bull3964 posted:

Come check out the new Blackberry Stillborntm

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The name should be the new Blackberry "Phone We Should Have Made 4 years Ago".

It's only marginally longer than some android phone names.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Is this some backwards way for people to say "Yeah, I use a Blackberry" instead of the model name? Because holy poo poo that is genius.

Yes, I know I'm grasping at straws.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

bull3964 posted:

What does "Priv" mean?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm gonna guess they are going for "Privacy." Trying to ride the whole "Blackberrys are better for security" wave.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Nexus 5x benches have shown up.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3527681

Confirms 2gb ram (at least in that config).

The Geekbench scores are a bit behind the Moto X Pure which is a little odd since they use the same chipset and the Pure has a higher resolution screen. Possibly a side effect of Marshmallow not working well with the benchmark program.

Nexus 5x did 1000 single and 2919 multicore where the Moto X Pure has been benchmarked around 1200 single and 3500 multicore. The LG G4 with the some chipset is around 1100/3100 so there certainly seems to be some variance here.

The battery life should be very good in the 5x, right? Or at least better than the Pure since it's a smaller 1080p screen? Although the Pure has a bigger battery.

The only reason I'm considering dropping my 2014 X is because the battery life is pissing me off and I want something with Band 12. I'm tempted just to get a Nexus 6 as it has those two things and I don't care about the finger print reader since I use Smart Unlock with my Pebble.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

I'm gonna guess they are going for "Privacy." Trying to ride the whole "Blackberrys are better for security" wave.

Plus "privilege." Marketers love these multiple-meaning non-words. Like how the Nexus 6 is simply P, you figure out what the P is.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Priv is pretty close to privy, a common name for an outhouse. Maybe they're hinting that it will be poo poo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WhyteRyce posted:

The battery life should be very good in the 5x, right? Or at least better than the Pure since it's a smaller 1080p screen? Although the Pure has a bigger battery.

The only reason I'm considering dropping my 2014 X is because the battery life is pissing me off and I want something with Band 12. I'm tempted just to get a Nexus 6 as it has those two things and I don't care about the finger print reader since I use Smart Unlock with my Pebble.

Hard to say. Marshmallow also tosses any preconceived notions out the window.

Will the smaller and lower res screen offset the 300mAh loss in battery size? Maybe. Depends on other aspects of the display as well.

The Pure, with all other things being equal, should have longer standby times, but Marshmallow also introduces the deep sleep mode.

I would guess they would be pretty similar.

I'm honestly ending my day with the 2015 Pure with approximately the same amount of battery life I would have on the Turbo despite the much larger battery on the turbo. But that's MY daily use pattern with SoT typically under an hour with the phone sitting on my desk all day. The turbo absolutely will get longer battery life with sustained screen on since screen on time overrides most other considerations.

One of the reasons why I moved away from the Turbo is I found I didn't need huge battery numbers for my use cases and Quick Charge will be enough to fill in the times I do need more life than normal.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I know this isn't the rooting thread. Is there going to be root for the new Nexus5X?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Hard to say. Marshmallow also tosses any preconceived notions out the window.

Will the smaller and lower res screen offset the 300mAh loss in battery size? Maybe. Depends on other aspects of the display as well.

The Pure, with all other things being equal, should have longer standby times, but Marshmallow also introduces the deep sleep mode.

I would guess they would be pretty similar.

I'm honestly ending my day with the 2015 Pure with approximately the same amount of battery life I would have on the Turbo despite the much larger battery on the turbo. But that's MY daily use pattern with SoT typically under an hour with the phone sitting on my desk all day. The turbo absolutely will get longer battery life with sustained screen on since screen on time overrides most other considerations.

One of the reasons why I moved away from the Turbo is I found I didn't need huge battery numbers for my use cases and Quick Charge will be enough to fill in the times I do need more life than normal.

I'm really happy with the Pure's battery life. In a usual day I was coming home with about 20% left on the battery and a SoT of less than 90 minutes. I'm sitting at 85% right now and I've been at work since 9. Huge improvement from my Galaxy S4.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

r0ck0 posted:

I know this isn't the rooting thread. Is there going to be root for the new Nexus5X?

Almost certainly yes, and it'll be the same method as all other nexi.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

axeil posted:

I'm really happy with the Pure's battery life. In a usual day I was coming home with about 20% left on the battery and a SoT of less than 90 minutes. I'm sitting at 85% right now and I've been at work since 9. Huge improvement from my Galaxy S4.

90 minutes of SOT is pretty terrible actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

So, up in Canada, the Moto X Pure isn't an option, but the Moto X Play is. And it seems a bit scaled down compared to the Pure:
5.5" instead of 5.7"
SD 615 instead of the SD 808
2 GB RAM instead of 3 GB RAM (not as thrilled about this)
3630 mAh battery instead of 3000 mAh (this I like)
No Smartboost speakers, but front facing at least.

I had my eye on the Pure, but since it's not available, would the Play be just as good?