Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

BigFactory posted:

It's good but after one listen I like Friend of a Friend better. The Weekend is pretty strong and I like Pilgrim. The middle kinda drags. Candy's one of those songs that's fine in concert but doesn't really need a studio version.

Not sure why they didn't try to put Knuckleball Catcher on this one. It would have fit perfectly into the back half and pulled the whole thing together. I think that's a good tune, but maybe they're saving it for Gill's next record, who knows.

But overall I like all the strings, kinda gives it an early Elton John vibe. Dave probably sings it as well as he can, the mix is ok but not what I'm used to with them.

This was my complaint, too. It seems like a collection of good songs rather than an album with anything to tie it together. Also feels really short, even though there is a 10 minute song and some other longer tunes. Maybe I was just expecting less on the technical genius side and more on the get friends together to play fun tunes side like I feel the last record was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

El Jebus posted:

This was my complaint, too. It seems like a collection of good songs rather than an album with anything to tie it together. Also feels really short, even though there is a 10 minute song and some other longer tunes. Maybe I was just expecting less on the technical genius side and more on the get friends together to play fun tunes side like I feel the last record was.

Yeah, it might grow on me. I wasn't over the moon for Harrow & Harvest at first either, but it picked up after a few listens.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Somehow I've missed out on the Turnpike Troubadours all these years and am making up for it by listening to all the albums twice today.

That's my story, hope you liked it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

BigFactory posted:

It's good but after one listen I like Friend of a Friend better. The Weekend is pretty strong and I like Pilgrim. The middle kinda drags. Candy's one of those songs that's fine in concert but doesn't really need a studio version.

Not sure why they didn't try to put Knuckleball Catcher on this one. It would have fit perfectly into the back half and pulled the whole thing together. I think that's a good tune, but maybe they're saving it for Gill's next record, who knows.

But overall I like all the strings, kinda gives it an early Elton John vibe. Dave probably sings it as well as he can, the mix is ok but not what I'm used to with them.

Can anyone speak about how they (Dave Rawlings Machine) are live? I am on the verge of picking up tickets for their November show in Knoxville.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

nate fisher posted:

Can anyone speak about how they (Dave Rawlings Machine) are live? I am on the verge of picking up tickets for their November show in Knoxville.

Real loving awesome.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

nate fisher posted:

Amazing. If you have a chance to go, go. I'm considering trying to see them in Santa Barbera next month and again in LA in January. Both over 2 hours away from me,

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Ok just got 4 tickets to Dave Rawlings Machine.

In relation to the Avett Brothers discussion on the previous page, they are doing their annual charity concert this year in Knoxville at the beautiful Tennessee Theatre. It is a smaller venue (same place I am seeing Dave Rawling Machine), and it should be a better show than if it was at the Civic Coliseum (which is where I saw them last time). After saying seeing them once was enough, I tried to get tickets during the pre-sale but they was gone within minutes. I will try again when they go on sale to the general public.

Also I found myself in a discussion with the guy who runs one of my favorite bar/venues in Knoxville, The Preservation Pub. He told me that the Avett Brothers did a show at the Pub back in 2005, and it was so insane they broke through the floor of the stage (they had to replace the whole flooring of the stage). Shame they are not that type of band anymore.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
So here's my take on Nashville Obsolete after a few more listens:

The Weekend and Pilgrim are both real solid songs, so at least it's got a good start and finish. Short Haired Women Blues is pretty good too. Not amazing, but pretty good.

The Trip is almost a great song. I think it could have been great if it was Gillian's song. The spoken word stuff seems forced and almost a parody, and even though the lines where he starts out talking and finishes singing work, it would have been better just to have Gill sing lead on the whole thing. And by the time they're singing everything towards the end it's really just a slightly downtempo Desolation Row with different (not as good) lyrics. But it's still one of the highlights of the record. I guess if you're going to rip off a song, Desolation Row is as good as any.

Bodysnatchers and Last Pharaoh are forgettable. Candy doesn't have any of the punch or timing that makes it fun in concert. Needs an audience.

And that's it. If they put Knuckleball Catcher in after Last Pharaoh (and maybe instead of Candy) it might have fixed some of the problems. I give it a B.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Somehow I've missed out on the Turnpike Troubadours all these years and am making up for it by listening to all the albums twice today.

That's my story, hope you liked it.
Aw yeah! The new album is pretty good, but whoever engineered it smashed the poo poo out of it with a compressor - the other albums sound way better imo.

Definitely go see them live if you get a chance. They're one of, if not the best concert I've been to.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

For someone whose two favorite country artists right now are Sturgill Simpson and Caitlin Rose, where would I get started exploring older country music I might like? I heard Sturgill shares similarities with artists like Waylon Jennings, but when it's a guy whose career spans decades with plenty of ups and downs it's hard to figure out where to start. Any new stuff I should be on the lookout for?

Green Mind
Aug 5, 2007

Said it's ok...

Clevermuldoon posted:

For someone whose two favorite country artists right now are Sturgill Simpson and Caitlin Rose, where would I get started exploring older country music I might like? I heard Sturgill shares similarities with artists like Waylon Jennings, but when it's a guy whose career spans decades with plenty of ups and downs it's hard to figure out where to start. Any new stuff I should be on the lookout for?

Honky Tonk Heroes is by far my favorite Waylon album. I like all of his hits but this album is solid as gently caress. The production is simple and it has an outlaw feel without being campy or forced. Most, if not all the songs were written by Billy Joe Shaver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRJhsYf-jok

If you're a George Jones fan and want to get into some deep poo poo check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWW_FRm6tto
This record is great if you're into the reverb-y, more psych country. The definitive Jones record to get stoned to. I love everything about this from the cover art to the haunting background vocals.

Here's one to get you going on a gilded trip of sin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCqxq6xqoXI
I kind of forced myself to like Gram and the rest just because of the cult status but he does have the chops as a musician. This song is probably the only Burrito Brothers one I listen to regularly but you can check out the others.

Last one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB_2CUj3y6Y
I couldn't begin to tell you how good this song is. Blaze Foley is a loving legend.

If you want more recommendations I've got plenty. I just spent two years driving a semi and I think I listened to almost every country album from 1940-1993.

On another note, I went to see Daniel Romano in Atlanta and Athens. Dude is awesome. The show was great and the leather wrapped Tele he has made me super envious.

This guy opened http://dylanearl.bandcamp.com/releases and I was very impressed. He did a great cover of "Clay Pigeons".

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Buck Owens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvacEhdoGHg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYKVb7T1n2I

That steel guitar solo is considered THE song to play among slide players.

Buck pretty much invented the Bakersfield Sound and also was a one of the only successful country artists that didn't live or record in Nashville. Yes he's the guy from Hee Haw and his career tanked a little after that. More so when Don Rich (the tele player) died in 1974.

Buck also used the same band on the road as he did in the studio and they were tight as hell. Merle Haggard played bass for him briefly and came up with the Buckaroos name.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Don Henly thinks that the state of modern country music is indicative as our cultural decline as a nation.

I didn't even realize he had a country album out, but I'm listening to it now. Better than loving Desparado, so far.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Paper With Lines posted:

Don Henly thinks that the state of modern country music is indicative as our cultural decline as a nation.

I didn't even realize he had a country album out, but I'm listening to it now. Better than loving Desparado, so far.

I know it is wrong, but I still prefer to listen to Frank Ocean's American Wedding (his song over the master track of Hotel California) to Hotel California. I think both songs have great lyrics, and I do understand while mixtapes have always used unauthorized samples, you don't use what is pretty much the master track of a song. Still Frank Ocean never made money off American Wedding, it was on a mixtape. I guess I'm just mad I will never get to see American Wedding performed live.

Also while he is right about the state of modern country music, but it has been that way for quite awhile.

Edit:

To add something the Guy Marshall Band might of released my album of the year with their release of The Depression Blues. I saw them live earlier this year without knowing a thing about them, and was blown away by an amazing live performance. I have a found a lot of bands that I like live, but their music don't translate to me listening to them in car or at home. Well I've had this album pretty much on repeat over the last couple of weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV5RBfZJFVI

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 2, 2015

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

nate fisher posted:

Also while he is right about the state of modern country music, but it has been that way for quite awhile.

Alan Jackson released 'Chattahoochee' in 1992 for gently caress's sake. What a piece of poo poo song that was and it was 23 years ago. Same year as Achy Breaky Heart. Was 1992 the roping on the neck for modern country? Has it taken Don Henley 23 years to notice modern country has been on a long steady decline?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

me your dad posted:

Alan Jackson released 'Chattahoochee' in 1992 for gently caress's sake. What a piece of poo poo song that was and it was 23 years ago. Same year as Achy Breaky Heart. Was 1992 the roping on the neck for modern country? Has it taken Don Henley 23 years to notice modern country has been on a long steady decline?

I wonder what Don Henley was doing in 1992?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga6cStFO8F4

Country music was in an odd state back then. Most of your big stars like Cash, George Jones, Loretta Lynn, etc. were putting out albums but got zero airplay. They had some luck showing up on various TNN shows but that was about it.

Then in 1995 Shania Twain 2nd album drops and that was the end of that.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hey look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZOn-6Rq1Rg

They are good.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

me your dad posted:

Country was in decline for a long time before that. The 80s weren't exactly full of solid music on country radio. There's still occasional sparks of brilliance in occasion through the years, but it's been on a downward trajectory for decades.

Truth be told, there were plenty of terrible songs on the radio in any decade. Nobody really remembers that poo poo though, only the good stuff.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Bonzo posted:

Country music was in an odd state back then. Most of your big stars like Cash, George Jones, Loretta Lynn, etc. were putting out albums but got zero airplay. They had some luck showing up on various TNN shows but that was about it.

Then in 1995 Shania Twain 2nd album drops and that was the end of that.

Joshua Judges Ruth came out in 92. There was interesting stuff going on then.

Green Mind
Aug 5, 2007

Said it's ok...
Chattahoochee is a good song, also Don't Rock the Jukebox.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The 90s were full of great country. And lots of lovely country, too. But come on, George Straight? Travis Tritt, Tim McGraw, Brooks and Dunn, Chris LeDoux? Garth Fuckin Brooks?

Solid loving gold and I won't hear otherwise.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

The 90s were full of great country. And lots of lovely country, too. But come on, George Straight? Travis Tritt, Tim McGraw, Brooks and Dunn, Chris LeDoux? Garth Fuckin Brooks?

Solid loving gold and I won't hear otherwise.

I guess I don't like country all, because I'm not a fan of any of these. I've always hated what I call radio country and the 90's is not an exception. Maybe it is because I was a metal head at the time or being from Tennessee I was sick of hearing country.

Thinking back as a kid/teenager the only country I ever could stand was Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, and Hank Jr. (that was before I understood his backwards politics). It wasn't until Steve Earle released Train a Comin that I actually fell in love with a country album. Despite now loving Cash, Jennings, Bluegrass, Americana, and alt-country I still can't stand to listen to most of the artist you mentioned.

Green Mind posted:

Chattahoochee is a good song, also Don't Rock the Jukebox.

Subjective, but this song is a perfect example of why I hated country at the time (I guess I still hate most country).

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I agree that Tim McGraw was always terrible. Garth Brooks and Books and Dunn have a few good songs but became pop artists.

If you have never heard it, go listen to Faith Hill sing Piece of My Heart. The first time I heard that I knew Country was over.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
To be fair, what we're doing here is like comparing Katy Perry to Led Zeppelin and bitching that rock is poo poo these days.

It's not really fair that "Country" is a monolithic genre in the public consciousness, when there are tons of different sounds, many of which are at the top of their game right now.

The stuff on the radio is always crap, no matter what the genre, except for very rare moments when "is good" and "is popular" match up. Radio's job is to be as catchy/inoffensive to as many people as possible so that they will leave it on long enough to listen to ads. Its very success hinges on it being as bland as possible.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The Corb Lund album coming out this Friday is available to stream here:

http://exclaim.ca/music/article/corb_lund-things_that_cant_be_undone_album_stream

Thoughts on my first listen: Production is slick as grease. There aren't enough beers to cry in for S lazy H. I love place songs and Goodbye Colorado is no exception, brings me right to my motorcycle ride home from Texas in '13 back to the PNW through Colorado, Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Bonzo posted:

I agree that Tim McGraw was always terrible.

Bull. "Live Like You Were Dying" is gold from start to finish and one of the best pop country albums of all time. Of all time.

I feel like "radio music is bad" is this decade's "I like all music except rap and country." Still I can't help but feel like the explosion of bro country is way worse than anything that happened in the 90s or 00s.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

Bull. "Live Like You Were Dying" is gold from start to finish and one of the best pop country albums of all time. Of all time.

I feel like "radio music is bad" is this decade's "I like all music except rap and country." Still I can't help but feel like the explosion of bro country is way worse than anything that happened in the 90s or 00s.

This is truth. I like a lot of that radio country from the 90s because it was the music of my childhood and because it's objectively far better than today's radio country. The musicianship was decent, lyrics were mostly pretty good, some even clever and funny, or at the very least original. How many modern radio country songs actually tell a coherent story? Compare today's songs, which are mostly ballads about date rape, to The Night The Lights Went Down in Georgia, Friends in Low Places, Modern Day Bonnie and Clyde, and Callin Baton Rouge. Even into the early 2000s, radio country was more acceptable than what gets played today. Then Deeurks Bently, Kenny Chesney, Montgomery Gentry, and Toby Keith started the descent into the cesspool that produced Luke Bryan and the like.

Green Mind
Aug 5, 2007

Said it's ok...
I guess nostalgia is my main thing with 90's country. I grew up in Georgia, it was the ONLY thing we listened to. My parents kept it on the mainstream station and my grandparents listened to old Patsy Cline albums. My first concert was Diamond Rio and my first CD was George Strait.

But I will say "Pure Country" is a piece of poo poo movie and can't even be watched ironically.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

New Turnpike is pretty good but seems like a drop from Evan's old stuff. Here's the single

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nebDECpbcso

If you like Turnpike you will probably like Cody Johnson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqblX83AwD4

And if you hate all that that you might still like Uncle Lucius:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXy_hNMNFfQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYdvxBxHX2U

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm in love with The Goddamn Gallows and the fact that they've covered a Venom song.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Oh, thanks for reminding me that I missed seeing them last Wednesday :negative:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I wish they'd come through my area. I haven't been to a show where I've been worried about getting in a fight for a while.

edit:

I'm lucky enough to be working from home today, so I'm playing all their albums at high volume while trudging through spreadsheets in my underwear.

They sound like Hank III and Lemmy teamed up.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 14, 2015

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The Goddamn Gallows led me to Jayke Orvis. I'm sure he's been mentioned in this thread, but here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aHD44CHidQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0bLJYtGTzo

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
New Supersuckers album out today, "Holding the Bag". It's the follow up to their 1997 country-y record "Must've Been High".

http://open.spotify.com/album/1LVju7ivxZOf0okuMPxcZE

Their front man Eddie is currently fighting throat cancer. I hope he can sing again at some point.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

clutchpuck posted:

New Supersuckers album out today, "Holding the Bag". It's the follow up to their 1997 country-y record "Must've Been High".

Their front man Eddie is currently fighting throat cancer. I hope he can sing again at some point.

Noice. Love me some Devil's Food and Motherfuckers Be Trippin.

Eddie Spaghetti once heckled me from the stage while he and Jordan Shapiro were opening for the Supersuckers.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

If your local PBS station carries Austin City Limits, Sturgill Simpson and Asleep at the Wheel will be on tomorrow night.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

clutchpuck posted:

Must've Been High is a classic, IMHO, so I'm thrilled to have a sequel.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

clutchpuck posted:

I've been following it via his Facebook page. It sounds like they are hopeful. There's not a lot of health coverage in independent rock and roll, though, so his treatment has been funded via donations, if anyone wants to kick in a few bucks for a genuinely good guy.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I've been really into the .357 String Band lately, can anyone reccomend some similar stuff? I'm not sure how to describe it..."outlaw" bluegrass maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Kvlt! posted:

I've been really into the .357 String Band lately, can anyone reccomend some similar stuff? I'm not sure how to describe it..."outlaw" bluegrass maybe?

Jayke Orvis, The Woodbox Gang, Pine Box Boys, Mountain Sprout, Split Lip Rayfield