Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

redbackground posted:

There was some kind of specialized radiation background needed, and he fit the bill. Morbius was brought in too for his mad blood skillz.

Aww man... I forgot about Morbius.

So does everyone else. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I could never forget how many episodes that Spiderman cartoon in the 90s forced me to sit through him, while leaving so little time for the Green Goblin I was honestly surprised in 2001 when everyone was talking about how the Green Goblin was always Spidey's enemy #1.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mind the walrus posted:

I could never forget how many episodes that Spiderman cartoon in the 90s forced me to sit through him, while leaving so little time for the Green Goblin I was honestly surprised in 2001 when everyone was talking about how the Green Goblin was always Spidey's enemy #1.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

mind the walrus posted:

I blame the movies; the Goblin wasn't that omnipresent before. (Unless I'm misremembering, which is entirely possible. :corsair:)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

prefect posted:

I blame the movies; the Goblin wasn't that omnipresent before. (Unless I'm misremembering, which is entirely possible. :corsair:)

He did kill the love of Spider-Man's life, kidnapped Aunt May and replaced her with a doppelganger, and it was implied that he caused Mary Jane to miscarry or faked the miscarriage then kidnapped the baby.

He was also dead for a good chunk of the 80's/90's, so it's not that surprising he didn't feature as heavily in the cartoon. I can't remember the timing so I don't know if they brought him back in the comic before or after the first movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

His legacy was always a big deal, especially with Harry going Goblin on and off, but he wasn't really Spider-man's ULTIMATE NEMESIS until they brought Norman back to life in the late 90s. If you asked someone in 91, they'd be far more likely to say Dr. Octopus or Kraven were Spider-man's greatest foe. Hell, maybe even Hobgoblin.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Spider-Man's deadliest foe was clearly Mysterio

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The deadliest foe for Spider Hyphen Man has always been... bricks.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

The deadliest foe for Spider Hyphen Man has always been... bricks.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

So... no Spidey-SenseTM because plot (such as it is)?

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AnonSpore posted:

Spider-Man's deadliest foe was clearly Mysterio

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Didn't Mephisto also use a brick to undo his marriage in One More Day? :tinfoil:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Shocker is Spider-Man's ultimate villain. Because dude refuses to ever hang it up regardless of how many times he jobs out.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Shocker is Spider-Man's ultimate villain. Because dude refuses to ever hang it up regardless of how many times he jobs out.

Counter-argument from Superior Foes of Spider-Man 17

ETA: Don't mock the Shocker, and also don't break tables.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
What is the reasoning behind the Shocker's name, again? It's all vibrational, isn't it? It's not actually electrical at no point, if I'm remembering correctly.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The Spocker and The Show Stopper were already taken

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

What is the reasoning behind the Shocker's name, again? It's all vibrational, isn't it? It's not actually electrical at no point, if I'm remembering correctly.

He's the shocker because otherwise he'd be "The vibrator"......... :]

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

I could never forget how many episodes that Spiderman cartoon in the 90s forced me to sit through him,

And he looked and sounded sort of like Tommy Wiseau.

"YOU ARE TEARING ME AP-AHT feLICIA!"

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Shockwaves, if I had to guess.

Ashcans posted:

I guess there are probably special doctors who make crazy superhero biology their area of study. It's probably a lot of insane frontier-style guesswork. "Well you're mostly made of rocks so basically we're going to fill this up with spackle and hope for the best'.

The most qualified candidate also happens to be Ben's best friend and roommate. Though I think Reed spent a chunk of that time "dead" or something, didn't he?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Ashcans posted:

Does Colossus turn to metal inside, or is it just his skin? I know Garokk tried to burn him alive and he didn't seem to worried about having his organs baked.

I think he's metal all the way through, although that might be a recent development. He got his arm broken by Nimrod Sentinels a few X-events back and the inside was just metal. Couldn't revert back to human form until Beast fixed it with a hydraulic press.

Also that time in Exiles when Mimic beat alternate universe Namor to death inside an inferno his skin got heated up and he couldn't go back to human form until he cooled down, but no damage otherwise.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Wheat Loaf posted:

I enjoy DeFalco/Ryan Fantastic Four. :shobon: (:downs:)

Yeah, I really enjoy Ryan's artwork, even if that Sue costume is real dumb.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

You know how they have the hand buzzers where you go to shake somebody's hand and it spins around and vibrates really fast so it feels like it's shocking you? That. Shocker is called "Shocker" because The Joy Buzzer is even lamer.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Network Pesci posted:

You know how they have the hand buzzers where you go to shake somebody's hand and it spins around and vibrates really fast so it feels like it's shocking you? That. Shocker is called "Shocker" because The Joy Buzzer is even lamer.

I feel really dumb now because I didn't know that's actually how those worked.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I believe Max Landis made this joke in his Shocker fanfic from 10-15 years ago.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

You reminded me that this existed, why

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

This joke is old enough to start thinking seriously about social security.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'm always a few months behind, because I get my comics via marvel unlimited, but I just got to this great Loki: Agent of Asgard cover, and it seemed to be begging to be animated, so I did.

Also avatar sized, in case someone wants it:

As long as no one's taken in by the time I finish the next page, I thank you for my new avatar.

edit: gently caress, preview showed lil loki all on it's own line. I knew I should have used a line break.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 24, 2015

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh god, WHAT HAVE I BECOME!?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

mind the walrus posted:

This joke is old enough to start thinking seriously about social security.

Yeah huh? Well you're like.....old enough to.....s-shut up...... jokes aren't my forte. :]

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AnonSpore posted:

You reminded me that this existed, why

You don't want to be reminded of the story where Shocker uses his gauntlets to explode Bullseye's testicles?!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
As usual I am forced to ask, why would you tease this poo poo and not post it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You can read the whole thing here, if you feel so inclined.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Soonmot posted:

As long as no one's taken in by the time I finish the next page, I thank you for my new avatar.

edit: gently caress, preview showed lil loki all on it's own line. I knew I should have used a line break.

Ask a Mod or Admin to fix it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I think he's metal all the way through, although that might be a recent development. He got his arm broken by Nimrod Sentinels a few X-events back and the inside was just metal. Couldn't revert back to human form until Beast fixed it with a hydraulic press.

Also that time in Exiles when Mimic beat alternate universe Namor to death inside an inferno his skin got heated up and he couldn't go back to human form until he cooled down, but no damage otherwise.

Hulk bent Colossus' arms out of shape. I think Strong Guy helped straighten them.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

That happens with a bunch of glowy sentinels in Second Coming too. Dr. Nemesis has a custom built bicep-shaped hydraulic press just for fixing his arms.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

wiegieman posted:

That happens with a bunch of glowy sentinels in Second Coming too. Dr. Nemesis has a custom built bicep-shaped hydraulic press just for fixing his arms.

In World War Hulk they fix it with heat and strong guy I think. Except IIRC it's really stupid since I'm pretty sure it's Scott applying the heat with his concussive blasts.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

PoptartsNinja posted:

In World War Hulk they fix it with heat and strong guy I think. Except IIRC it's really stupid since I'm pretty sure it's Scott applying the heat with his concussive blasts.

Fer God's sake. The dude's had the SAME POWER for 52 years! How hard is that to get right? :doh:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

wiegieman posted:

It's good that his mutant ability lets him fix them quick 'n easy, but you know, if you're getting your arms broken so often that someone has time to actually design and build a special machine specifically to fix your arms, maybe you should consider taking some time off from the X-Men.

jng2058 posted:

Fer God's sake. The dude's had the SAME POWER for 52 years! How hard is that to get right? :doh:

Nearly every other hero/villain in comics that shoots red poo poo from their eyes is slinging fire, I can see how a comic writer (especially when some are caught up doing multiple books) can forget that this one guy shoots punches instead.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 25, 2015

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Soonmot posted:

Great. I really miss the gifs for geeks thread sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

jng2058 posted:

If it's any consulation, the time Cyclops fixed Colossus head after it got dented inwards so bad he couldn't turn back to human form was in the 90's. And to fix him Moria McTagart, Beast and Charles Xavier fixed him with Surgery. Cyclops was using his Optic Blast into a machine to create the laser, so you could argue that the beam was only powering the machine.

Oh and I'm sure that in some comic they said that Colossus bleeds crackling Kirkby style energy.