Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I read Persuasion today, and it's clear that out of all of Jane Austen's novels, O'Brian was most influenced by this one. The exact moment in history is important to the plot of this more than any other Austen novel, as most of the principle male characters are prize-rich naval officers returning to shore in the peace of 1814. I could almost recognize Jack Aubrey in the minor character of Admiral Croft, a bluff, genial warrior who allows himself to be steered by his wife in all matters on land. It's fairly short and well worth a read to any A-M fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
My books are in a box at the moment, and to make it worse I don't even remember which specific book this is from, but does anyone have the quote where Jack's at some dinner and doesn't think the girls there are attractive so he says something about thinking those small-busted girls were "exploded long ago"?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I read that as a joke.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Yes, and?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

InediblePenguin posted:

My books are in a box at the moment, and to make it worse I don't even remember which specific book this is from, but does anyone have the quote where Jack's at some dinner and doesn't think the girls there are attractive so he says something about thinking those small-busted girls were "exploded long ago"?

It's from H.M.S. Surprise, but I couldn't tell you the exact page. It's in last third, after Stephen comes back from his marriage proposal to Diana, but before he gets a response in Calcutta. Jack is telling him about a dinner he attended. It's before/during/after the dinner on board of the Lushington, after they get rid of the embassy and have the cabin to themselves again.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Thanks! That's super helpful, I can go find that book and look it up for myself now.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The reverse of the medal spoiler. Lol at Wray mocking Maturin for being cuckolded when Wray is actually the one being given horns (by Aubrey's protege Babbington).

e: VVV I thought that was just Wray further mocking Maturin, just to his face?

Murgos fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 23, 2015

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Murgos posted:

The reverse of the medal spoiler. Lol at Wray mocking Maturin for being cuckolded when Wray is actually the one being given horns (by Aubrey's protege Babbington).

Ah, he does in fact know of his own troubles in that direction (Maturin sees him being carried home drunk, and Wray makes reference to them) but Wray is such a scrub that he doesn't know/care/reflect on the fact.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I've read the first three books and I used an audible credit on book #4. People aren't kidding about Patrick Tull. He sounds like a 90 year old British sailor recounting a story that happened to him decades ago, it's great.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

I'm trying to branch out some and read other books for a little while, since it's not reasonable to immediately re-read the whole thing. Definately looking forward to some Austen, which is a feeling I never considered I might be feeling.
However, I just got the cook book! I think I'll mainly try the various drinks and desserts initially.

VendoViper posted:

I will have to try making one of the shrubs soon, but I just put a drowned baby in the pot. Excited to pull it out in a few hours and see what the rage is all about. I mean it's basically a desert where the whole thing is made out of pie crust, so i am not sure how it could go wrong.
How did it turn out?

CarterUSM posted:

If you're going to use a Papin's digester, for God's sake don't put a smoothing iron on the safety valve to make it cook faster.

Hmm, this actually sounds like it will save me some time...

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

ovenboy posted:

How did it turn out?

They haven't posted since. RIP.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

at the date posted:

I read Persuasion today, and it's clear that out of all of Jane Austen's novels, O'Brian was most influenced by this one. The exact moment in history is important to the plot of this more than any other Austen novel, as most of the principle male characters are prize-rich naval officers returning to shore in the peace of 1814. I could almost recognize Jack Aubrey in the minor character of Admiral Croft, a bluff, genial warrior who allows himself to be steered by his wife in all matters on land. It's fairly short and well worth a read to any A-M fan.

I checked out this audiobook from the library, so far I am liking it but all the main characters (we haven't gotten to Captain Fredrick yet) are pretty much all reprehensible, the petty small mindedness and concern with preference and breeding really reads like satire. Is it attempting to be accurate? I know Jane Austen was of that class of people but I don't know if shes being honest.

e: Her brother, Francis Austen, was an accomplished navy officer who would have been a very senior post-captain around the time the novel was written (flag captain of the channel fleet) and was knighted in 1815. Although he didn't make rear-admiral until 1830 he later climbed as high as Admiral of the Fleet.

e2: She also had another brother, Charles Austin, who also was a post-captain in the royal navy around the time the novel was written. So, I would guess that her naval characters are pretty well grounded in reality and are probably based on people she met socially.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 24, 2015

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Murgos posted:

I checked out this audiobook from the library, so far I am liking it but all the main characters (we haven't gotten to Captain Fredrick yet) are pretty much all reprehensible, the petty small mindedness and concern with preference and breeding really reads like satire. Is it attempting to be accurate? I know Jane Austen was of that class of people but I don't know if shes being honest.

e: Her brother, Francis Austen, was an accomplished navy officer who would have been a very senior post-captain around the time the novel was written (flag captain of the channel fleet) and was knighted in 1815. Although he didn't make rear-admiral until 1830 he later climbed as high as Admiral of the Fleet.

e2: She also had another brother, Charles Austin, who also was a post-captain in the royal navy around the time the novel was written. So, I would guess that her naval characters are pretty well grounded in reality and are probably based on people she met socially.

Jane Austen is good because she is 100% making fun of the vast majority of the people in her books.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

ovenboy posted:

I'm trying to branch out some and read other books for a little while, since it's not reasonable to immediately re-read the whole thing. Definately looking forward to some Austen, which is a feeling I never considered I might be feeling.
However, I just got the cook book! I think I'll mainly try the various drinks and desserts initially.

How did it turn out?

Hmm, this actually sounds like it will save me some time...

I recently finished a book that was recommended in this thread, Richard Henry Dana's Two Years Before the Mast, about his time on a merchant ship from Boston to California for two years in 1834. It was very good, very readable, and worth your time. It really helped being familiar with the nautical jargon from the O'Brien novels and gives a good look at life of a regular sailor.

Also it's free! http://www.amazon.com/Years-Before-Mast-Richard-Henry-ebook/dp/B0082XP72S

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

builds character posted:

Jane Austen is good because she is 100% making fun of the vast majority of the people in her books.

Yeah, Austen wrote her characters with multiple levels of irony. It isn't unusual for the character speaking, the one hearing, the narrator's voice, and the author's voice to each be working on a separate level of irony.

That said there usually is at least one character in her novels who is relatively sympathetic. Look for the young, unmarried, intelligent female.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, Austen wrote her characters with multiple levels of irony. It isn't unusual for the character speaking, the one hearing, the narrator's voice, and the author's voice to each be working on a separate level of irony.

That said there usually is at least one character in her novels who is relatively sympathetic. Look for the young, unmarried, intelligent female.

Agreed, but she does makes fun of them too. From two of her better known works, you've got Emma being pretty and rich and spoiled and lazy and entitled and just awful at matchmaking. Or Elizabeth who's smart, witty, generally pretty nice but totally unrealistic about her prospects (good thing it works out for her) and makes stupid, stupid decisions because of her (are you ready?) pride and (seriously, though, wait for it...) prejudices. I do think those tend to be much more on the level of the author to the reader only rather than working on six different levels like all of her making fun of everyone else. But anyone who doesn't like Austen is a bad person and should feel bad and also be a bit more careful about their reading because they're pretty light books if you just skim through them but they're hilarious if you take a bit more time/care.

edit: only a little related, I just finished six frigates. I'd bought it maybe a year ago thinking it was a book I would very much enjoy having read and not a book I was looking forward to reading and then I actually picked it up and it was great! So if you haven't read it yet and liked Patrick O'Brian then I recommend it as well.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I second that. Six Frigates is great.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Mr. Midshipman Easy is a good book too.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Molybdenum posted:

Mr. Midshipman Easy is a good book too.

I didn't care for it. It's a novice effort and his later books are much better.

e: One thing that I really miss about the series with O'Brian's passing is that we never got to see the Duke of Clarence give Aubrey his step (KB, Baronetcy?) after ascending to the throne as William IV (and after some suitable service of course). I feel that with all the setup there that O'Brian had to have had their relationship in mind for a natural conclusion to the series.

Also, Maturin as the King's Physician. Having to dress for court and attend, hah, he would have hated it.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Sep 28, 2015

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

ovenboy posted:

How did it turn out?

Pretty good all things considered. Ive tried it twice and it was definitely better the second time. Go to a fabric store and buy un-dyed muslin for the cloth. You want one way way bigger than you think, and boil the cloth on its own for a minute. Then rub a shitload of flour into it in a large area. This becomes a sticky paste, but you need it to cover the surface area of the dough. Still haven't gotten a line on actual suet, and butter is not really a sufficient substitute. Also seriously make sure you have a tea kettle going with backup water to add constantly. Never let it drop below a boil at all, and I think it needs closer to 3.5 hours than 2.

Basically it comes out like a plain raisin bread. The recommended brandy custard sauce was super good though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ha so David Cameron is descended from William IV.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
Reading Wine-Dark Sea and Stephen's rant about Bosville cracked me up.

quote:

'So I am. It is a retrospective passion, sure, but I feel it still. Thinking of that ill-looking flabby ornamented conceited self-complacent ignorant shallow mean-spirited cowardly young shite with absolute power over fifteen hundred blacks makes me fairly tremble even now - it moves me to grossness. I should have kicked him if ladies had not been present.'

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

VendoViper posted:

Still haven't gotten a line on actual suet, and butter is not really a sufficient substitute.

I used suet for the stuffed grape leaves. Got it from my grocery store, although I had to ask the butcher for it special. They seem to have some behind the counter or something. Try there. If you have a proper butcher in your area, I can almost guarantee they have some too.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I was going to ask about the recipe for Boiled Fowl with Oyster Sauce but I googled it and there are lots of recipes available and it's as simple as it sounds.

Boil fowl. Get oysters in their liquor and make a sauce by cooking them with some butter and wine, maybe use some flour to thicken, if you want. Pour sauce over fowl.

I'd probably roast the chicken in stead but, yeah. Seems easy enough.

e: Been working my way through an audiobook of Moby Dick checked out from the library. Did a good job of scratching that nautical itch. I couldn't get into it in written form but read aloud by a competent narrator it's really great.

Also, American whalers hunting sperm whales don't use a crow's nest. That's a lazy English invention for hunting the right whale and no upright Nantucketer would deign to consider it.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 26, 2015

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Murgos posted:

I was going to ask about the recipe for Boiled Fowl with Oyster Sauce but I googled it and there are lots of recipes available and it's as simple as it sounds.

Boil fowl. Get oysters in their liquor and make a sauce by cooking them with some butter and wine, maybe use some flour to thicken, if you want. Pour sauce over fowl.

I'd probably roast the chicken in stead but, yeah. Seems easy enough.

e: Been working my way through an audiobook of Moby Dick checked out from the library. Did a good job of scratching that nautical itch. I couldn't get into it in written form but read aloud by a competent narrator it's really great.

Also, American whalers hunting sperm whales don't use a crow's nest. That's a lazy English invention for hunting the right whale and no upright Nantucketer would deign to consider it.

No other book has been as arduous for me to read as that one. It's a good book and worth the effort, but it requires a shitload of work.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
In The Commodore, Jack and Stephen ride into Portsmouth and leave their horses at The Keppel's Head, Jack's favorite Inn when he was a midshipman. Turns out that my wife and I stayed there on our honeymoon earlier this year! I specifically wanted to tour the Victory (we did and it is amazing) but I had no idea of this connection to the books when we booked this place.

We stayed in The Victory Suite, furnishings probably unchanged since Jack's time:

View from the window:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I visited Constitution last month; I was surprised to discover it is as long as Victory. Also the rails are high, like 5 feet high. I had no idea. Standing on the deck even without netting you would be well protected.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I noticed that David Cordingly's Cochrane: The Real Master and Commander ebook is on sale on the US Amazon for $2, http://www.amazon.com/Cochrane-Master-Commander-David-Cordingly-ebook/dp/B00422LERA

I read it a couple years ago and it was very good, and interesting to see just how much of an influence the real life of Cochrane has in O'Brian's novels of events and the character of Jack Aubrey. The ebook is under Amazon's holiday deals so no idea how long it would last, I wouldn't wait to pick it up.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Just finished Homage to Catalonia read by Patrick Tull, and at times I was expecting Captain Aubrey to jump behind the next corner brandishing a sword.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So recently I became interested in this series and I thought to ask my dad who was a load master in the airforce in the late 70s/early 80s if he had any of these books, since he used to buy tons of books to kill time on his frequent ocean-crossing flights and remembered Age-of-Sail books as one of the genres he'd buy (alongside trashy fantasy novels). Digging through his boxes he wasn't able to find any Aubrey-Maturin novels (yet?), but he did end up finding a stack of at least a dozen Bolitho novels by Alexander Kent. Are these books any good?

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
I stopped reading after the fifth or sixth Bolitho. Maybe it's just because I'm an Aubrey/Maturin fanboy, but I wasn't impressed. They weren't bad, not really, but something about them just bugged me. Maybe it was how Bolitho seemed to not really have many (any?) flaws, maybe it was that I was never really surprised by the plot at any point, but I felt they really paled next to O'Brian. Decent beach reads, but not much more.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I gave up on Hornblower, although it owes more to the dude reading the audiobook than anything else.

In other news, Naval Action is starting Early Access soon, and it looks like Goons are forming a clan.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So recently I became interested in this series and I thought to ask my dad who was a load master in the airforce in the late 70s/early 80s if he had any of these books, since he used to buy tons of books to kill time on his frequent ocean-crossing flights and remembered Age-of-Sail books as one of the genres he'd buy (alongside trashy fantasy novels). Digging through his boxes he wasn't able to find any Aubrey-Maturin novels (yet?), but he did end up finding a stack of at least a dozen Bolitho novels by Alexander Kent. Are these books any good?

I think you would be fine if you read them before Aubrey/Maturin or even Hornblower but Bolitho is really in third place.

I know I read all the Hornblower stuff first and loved it (20 years ago) but I can't go back now and every time I've picked up a Bolitho novel I have bailed and gone back to reread Aubrey/Maturin.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Colonial Air Force posted:

I gave up on Hornblower, although it owes more to the dude reading the audiobook than anything else.

In other news, Naval Action is starting Early Access soon, and it looks like Goons are forming a clan.

Wow... I had not heard about this game at all, and it sounds like exactly what I've been wanting for years. Thanks for the heads-up!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'll admit that this game is the reason for my sudden interest in age-of-sail fiction and why I asked about the Bolitho novels. :yarr: And thanks for the words about them, I'll ask my dad to pack em up and send them to me. I might just go to the library/book store and get Master and Commander first though.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 20, 2016

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'll admit that this game is the reason for my sudden interest in age-of-sail fiction and why I asked about the Bolitho novels. :yarr: And thanks for the words about them, I'll ask my dad to pack em up and send them to me. I might just go to the library/book store and get Master and Commander first though.

If ebooks are your thing, Amazon has had the Master and Commander ebook for $1 for awhile now: http://www.amazon.com/Master-Commander-Aubrey-Maturin-Novels-ebook/dp/B006C3Q6GG

The best advice for the novels I got in this thread was not to get bogged down in the nautical jargon if you don't understand it, it's alright not to understand it all, because anything the author believes you really should know will get explained to a character (mostly the doctor Maturin) who knows nothing about sailing.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

PlushCow posted:

The best advice for the novels I got in this thread was not to get bogged down in the nautical jargon if you don't understand it, it's alright not to understand it all, because anything the author believes you really should know will get explained to a character (mostly the doctor Maturin) who knows nothing about sailing.

I think a lot of the nautical jargon and cant is really just there because it's fun to say. If it's important to the story or an interesting bit of trivia it will get explained otherwise it's set dressing.

I like the interludes where some phrase that's common today gets outed as having been 19th century nautical jargon.

The bitter end.

By and large.

Etc...

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
We trice 'em athwart the starboard gumbrils, when sailing by and large.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Because it's cur-tailed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fire Safety Doug posted:

We trice 'em athwart the starboard gumbrils, when sailing by and large.

I fear someone has been practicing upon you.