Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
So the goofy gauges in the ST aren't accurate enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax
Jul 23, 2004

I'm the Goon in the OP. Dispatch your messenger forthwith.
I didn't add a oil temp gauge to my ST but I tend to base it off oil pressure. Once the oil pressure has come down at idle I figure the oil has warmed up and thinned out.

Edit: Derp. Has a oil temp gauge too. For some reason I tend to watch the pressure drop more than the temp come up. An odd bird, I am. Probably habit from the 350z that only had a pressure gauge.

Hyrax fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 19, 2015

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Ferret King posted:

So the goofy gauges in the ST aren't accurate enough?

the fiesta doesn't have them

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

I'm amazed at how fast my new R warms up. Coolant is at full temp before I leave my neighborhood.

Does "warmed up" meant ~130 degrees when the display first shows it, or later at a higher number?

What I'm asking is, how long should I wait until I give my GTI the beans?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I just wait til oil pressure is down and temp is off the peg to start doing anything requiring a lot of boost. But I do warm my car up in the winter months. Mostly just so I have heat though.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Anyone happen to know the EXACT tag requirements for Myford Touch to recognize album art.

I swear, myford touch is cause enough for me to never recommend Ford to anyone ever again (though I may personally buy Ford in the future).

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

veedubfreak posted:

I'm amazed at how fast my new R warms up. Coolant is at full temp before I leave my neighborhood.

Coolant temp != oil temp

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

well if you all lived in the sun blasted hellscape i call home where the temperature never drops below a million degrees your god damned oil temp is ready to get at turnover.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

MetaJew posted:

Coolant temp != oil temp

Did you just reply to the post without reading a couple of days of replies that said the same thing in a much less dickish way?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

fyodor posted:

the fiesta doesn't have them

The Fiesta's gauge is useless. When the gauge reads "At temp" is coolant at around 130, oil at around 96. It takes another 5 minutes of driving at 70 degrees ambient for the car to reach operating temperature.

EDIT: For awful phoneposting autocorrects.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 21, 2015

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

The interior looks really nice. Just check underneath for rust. You guys get road salt over there, right?
Yep, lots. I'll be checking that out but honestly if the lady gives me the go-ahead there'd have to be daylight showing through the floor pans to get me to say "no" to this.

Trans Ferdinand posted:

You should absolutely do this, that GTI is amazing and you should buy it. The MK2s are one of the "good GTIs", which the MK4....isn't.
If my job interview goes well today, it's probably gonna happen. I don't even have a GTI, I have the base model 2.0L and it's super pokey.

Electric Pigeon posted:

Could emptyquote a hundred times.

They are wonderful and mechanical feeling, if you're not familiar with them. Definitely one of the "good GTIs" and some people prefer them to the originals. They're one of the cars that achieved German Car Superiority and live up to their billing, imo. If memory serves, this version has zany short gearing (3500rpm@70mph in fifth). They also feel like actual reasonably modern cars, which Mk1s don't (albeit in a good way).
Hell, that's the same gearing as I've got in mine now, so that wouldn't bug me in the least.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

GutBomb posted:

Did you just reply to the post without reading a couple of days of replies that said the same thing in a much less dickish way?

I... sure did. Thanks for notifying me in a dickish way.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

MetaJew posted:

Coolant temp != oil temp

At no point did I say that oil temp was the same as coolant temp. In fact, I stated that my coolant temp was at running temp before I'm out of my neighborhood. My previous cars took much longer to do so, and coolant temp CAN actually be an indicator of how warm the engine is.

Seeing as my car does actually tell me the oil temp, I'll keep an eye on it tomorrow morning and see how quickly it gets up to 200.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I wonder if letting it run on a dyno first would give a more favorable oil temp.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yet another MK2 GTI has surfaced on the local CL. What a beaut this one is, even compared to the one I linked last page.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I need to bring this up. What the gently caress is the point of those nubs that stick out at the top of a car bra?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Probably to change how air flows over the front of the car to help protect the windshield/hood.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
They are the cars eyebrows. It keeps stuff out of their eyes.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Backov posted:

They are the cars eyebrows. It keeps stuff out of their eyes.

It's for bugs. I had a bug deflector on my suburban and it ruled, never had to deal with squashed bugs on the windshield.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Keeps it from flapping around too.

Those ugly leather bras are so 80s though, I don't understand why people keep them around. They are a good idea in theory, but in reality if you don't wash/wax under it every week it just scratches the hell out of the paint underneath and after a few years the color doesn't match the rest of the car. Clear bras are a good thing.

nuclear_cheetos
Apr 22, 2005

mmmmmmmm......cheesy!
So after a couple months I've got the 1-2 shift down and figured out how to get 37-40 mpg (35ish if I drive like a hooligan). All in all I'm incredibly impressed with what you get with the Fist and like it so much I'm considering another Ford in the near future. Pretty sure my wife will be happy but I'm cursing the salesman at the Ford dealership for putting the bug in my ear on just how cheap you can get a 15 EB Stang for (went in to look at a Miata for myself and instead found what could be a fun car for the woman so she's not always hauling the Sienna around).

We'll see how January goes.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

nuclear_cheetos posted:

So after a couple months I've got the 1-2 shift down and figured out how to get 37-40 mpg (35ish if I drive like a hooligan). All in all I'm incredibly impressed with what you get with the Fist and like it so much I'm considering another Ford in the near future. Pretty sure my wife will be happy but I'm cursing the salesman at the Ford dealership for putting the bug in my ear on just how cheap you can get a 15 EB Stang for (went in to look at a Miata for myself and instead found what could be a fun car for the woman so she's not always hauling the Sienna around).

There is a real possibility now that I'm going to join you and others in Ford ownership. I was fantasy considering the RS before but what with VW doing their wacky software tricks I'm almost certain I'll be trading in my R for the RS. Principles, you know? Also that blue and 345 horses.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

nuclear_cheetos posted:

By 1-2 shift you mean the shift from 1st to 2nd or what?

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

The Ferret King posted:

By 1-2 shift you mean the shift from 1st to 2nd or what?

I would assume so. The 1 - 2 shift on both of the STs is odd due to the rev hang feature.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah, it's consistently my worst shift in the Focus ST. The weight shift and deceleration is so quick and prominent.

Smoothing out my shifting (for passenger comfort) seems to be somewhat of an art.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Yeah, it's consistently my worst shift in the Focus ST. The weight shift and deceleration is so quick and prominent.

Smoothing out my shifting (for passenger comfort) seems to be somewhat of an art.
What smoothed out my shifts the most is waiting a short beat after letting off the gas before engaging the clutch.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

scuz posted:

What smoothed out my shifts the most is waiting a short beat after letting off the gas before engaging the clutch.

Just working this out in my head here, but you can do that smoothly enough before the engine braking of 1st gear significantly slows you down?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Just working this out in my head here, but you can do that smoothly enough before the engine braking of 1st gear significantly slows you down?
It's kind of like using the engine braking as a sort of parachute before engaging the clutch. There's a very short window where the engine IS braking, but it's used a bit to smooth out the transition between the clutch being engaged and disengaged.

Full disclosure: I drive a 5-speed 2002 VW Golf which might not have as many bells and whistles as your FiST.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KakerMix posted:

There is a real possibility now that I'm going to join you and others in Ford ownership. I was fantasy considering the RS before but what with VW doing their wacky software tricks I'm almost certain I'll be trading in my R for the RS. Principles, you know? Also that blue and 345 horses.

You really think Ford isn't doing their own shady stuff too? VW just happens to be the first company that got caught.

I'm actually going to pull 400 miles out of this tank on the R.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

It would surprise me if there are 11 million of any other engine out there emitting 40 times the pollution level than they are legally obligated to.

The scale of what they did, is a bit staggering.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

40x is that confirmed? The reporting I read didn't give me much confidence we have the true severity of the crime. I think I read "10 to 40" times which, while being egregious either way, is quite a big difference.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 24, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

veedubfreak posted:

You really think Ford isn't doing their own shady stuff too? VW just happens to be the first company that got caught.

I'm actually going to pull 400 miles out of this tank on the R.

I'm sure they have skeletons yes, but like you said VW was caught. Think about the damage that VW has wrought, not just on the environment or their stock, but on people. You've got thousands of customers screwed in one way or another because a few people at VW decided to lie on purpose. Think of the dealerships and all the people that work there who have had the floor fall out from under them. Think of the embarrassment that is felt by people that work at VW worldwide and the discussions and defending they have to do about something they had no control over.

I bought my R because it was the best car I had in front of me at the time and now I know they have wrecked havoc on so many things and so many people. That bothers me a whole lot and I'm going to capitalist it up and not buy their products anymore since that's the only thing I can do.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

fyodor posted:

40x is that confirmed? The reporting I read didn't give me much confidence we have the true severity of the crime. I think I read "10 to 40" times which, while being egregious either way, is quite a big difference.

In the tests, conducted over five pre-defined routes categorized based on their predominant driving conditions (highway, urban/suburban, and rural-up/downhill driving), real-world nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions from the Jetta exceeded the US-EPA Tier2-Bin5 (at full useful life) standard by 15 to 35 times. For the Passat, real-world NOx emissions were 5 to 20 times the standard. The BMW vehicle was generally at or below the standard, and only exceeded it during rural uphill operating conditions. 

The pollution level is not static; it depends on engine load. The "10 to 40 times" range comes from CARB's test which the EPA quoted in their notice of violation to VW

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

wow. hosed up.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

I'm right now in the market for a new GTI with the Autobahn trim, moving up from my tryst 2005 Mazda 3. An old friend of mine works at the dealership, so I can get it pretty much at invoice cost. Does anyone have any input on if the Adaptive Lighting and Driver Assistance Packages are going to be worth the extra money? I'm definitely getting the DCC, but I don't know how much more I want to add on as I'm already a little over what I was looking at paying.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

KakerMix posted:

That bothers me a whole lot and I'm going to capitalist it up and not buy their products anymore since that's the only thing I can do.

Yup. Sucks. I wanted to do an R but I couldn't live with myself.

scuz posted:

Yet another MK2 GTI has surfaced on the local CL. What a beaut this one is, even compared to the one I linked last page.

gently caress, Montana Green though...

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of the VW debacle... If this makes VW sales numbers drop, it may be a good time to pick up a GTI or R for cheap pretty soon.

The resale value may not hold for this generation though. Even if its on cars that aren't affected, I could see consumers not trusting the brand for a while.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Petite Dinklage posted:

I'm right now in the market for a new GTI with the Autobahn trim, moving up from my tryst 2005 Mazda 3. An old friend of mine works at the dealership, so I can get it pretty much at invoice cost. Does anyone have any input on if the Adaptive Lighting and Driver Assistance Packages are going to be worth the extra money? I'm definitely getting the DCC, but I don't know how much more I want to add on as I'm already a little over what I was looking at paying.

The lighting package is excellent.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

who cares about resale if you plan to daily drive a car for 15 years/into the ground? The GTI outlook has never been better! (says a guy who just bought a FoST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
My 16 yr old, high mileage Peugeot GTi has been a little too unreliable for something I'm now using for work, so I've been after something newer.

I test drove a Fiesta ST which was an awesome car, the only thing I could fault was it felt the accelerator was too far recessed to heel-toe properly.
I decided I wasn't quite done with high-revving French silliness so now I'm waiting on delivery of this little guy:

Renault Sport Clio 200 Cup Trophee
I've had my eye on these for a while and I'm having to go off reputation as the one I was going to test drive sold while I was on my way to check it out (this ones coming from the opposite side of the country). This is the previous generation, and probably last of the old school naturally aspirated hot hatches - the new ones have gone to a 4-door, turbo, dual-clutch-auto setup to take on VW's market.