Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

look at this gnome proponent running KDE apps

the default pdf reader that comes with my UBUNTU GNOME for some reason doesnt load a lot of stuff. idk. also the print menu is all hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
well you should try evince again then it's pretty sw8

also you should stop using ubuntu and start using neckbeard

er i mean fedora

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pram posted:

as in, youll be unemployed

pram
Jun 10, 2001
agreed, aryan neet

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Listen folks if I had the budget to buy Macbooks Air/Pro for my staff and also myself and a sub to Office 365 and Adobe Creative Cloud to replace the frankly p. deece needsuiters I have currently rolled out I probably would. But hell,. I don't. Problem? Contact your local senator for increase arts funding. Not enough? I'm a registered 501 c3 and your donations are tax deductible. send me a PM.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

lol this is weird

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
haha i had forgotten it was antisemitic lol

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

b0red posted:

All linux desktop environments are trash for the most part. All you really need is some no frills window manager to throw up some terminals and poo poo. Xfce usually does it but I've been thinking of trying one of those tiling ones with free float mode to take it even further or maybe I'll throw xmonad on top of xfce.

Also do all the major desktop environments still have gradients, bubbles, and big fades?

so fluxbox or openbox then

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

gnome 3.18 coming out in a lil under a week yay

what new features/apps does it have

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

b0red posted:

All linux desktop environments are trash for the most part. All you really need is some no frills window manager to throw up some terminals and poo poo. Xfce usually does it but I've been thinking of trying one of those tiling ones with free float mode to take it even further or maybe I'll throw xmonad on top of xfce.

i need something to manage dbus and network-manager for me

kde and gnome have nicer tools than the standalone ones

b0red posted:

Also do all the major desktop environments still have gradients, bubbles, and big fades?

yes

fortunately kde lets you turn it off

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

focal ischemia posted:

probably the same reason they're wearing a skirt

i saw the 5 oclock shadow and assumed it was a utilikilt

i guess we could be looking at a former man transitioning to a woman

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
its alreight i thought they were 90s style hugely baggy pants like JNCOs or w/e

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
gnome update: a friend sent me an email that exploded chromium 2 times 1 time i was able to save gnome with ctrl alt f2 then killall chromiom-browser but the other time i couldnt save it. i did the gnome restart command pr w/e in console and also the killall on chromium but it could not be risen from the grave. i wont be clicking that email agian until i get home.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Smythe posted:

I don't have a CS degree so instead of working in cool programs I've read about on YOSPOS like Eclipse and Atom I get to use lovely fail ones like Gmail and Okular PDF reader.

don['t sell yourself short smythe, i don't have a cs degree either but i still have a cool tech job where i get paid to make computer go, we are living in an ag eof opportunity for all

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i saw the 5 oclock shadow and assumed it was a utilikilt

i guess we could be looking at a former man transitioning to a woman

i mean they could be transitioning or genderfluid but they could also just be a thirsty attention-seeking simp. i'm not sure where i'm really going with this.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
well its good to see more women getting involved in linux

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

focal ischemia posted:

i mean they could be transitioning or genderfluid but they could also just be a thirsty attention-seeking simp. i'm not sure where i'm really going with this.

utilikilt + desperation is still the simplest explanation

occam's razor etc

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Soricidus posted:

don['t sell yourself short smythe, i don't have a cs degree either but i still have a cool tech job where i get paid to make computer go, we are living in an ag eof opportunity for all

my autism doesnt work right. all i do is pound my own balls with a rubber mallet or slap my little peepee silly with a ruler. its not right. its not good money. people dont even pay me to cam anymore.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Smythe posted:

my autism doesnt work right. all i do is pound my own balls with a rubber mallet or slap my little peepee silly with a ruler. its not right. its not good money. people dont even pay me to cam anymore.

:jackbud:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Eventually everyone will get a Mac like they really wanted in the first place.

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

quote:

Ok. Back to the night he was born…

As I held him, I found myself thinking back on my own struggles in making my own source code… Free. Thinking on a world divided between freedom and restriction. Between openness of technology and a world of litigiously enforced software patents. Between total control over your personal data… and a complete lack of personal privacy.

That core struggle – between Free and Not Free – is a purely artificial one. It is a struggle that we, as humans, created for ourselves.

Source code is inherently "open"... until you close it.

Your personal information is inherently your own… until you grant others the right to take it away from you.

We are free. Until someone comes along and takes that freedom away. Or, perhaps even worse, we give it away. Willingly. In exchange for a shiny new app for our shiny new smartphone – or the illusion that we must give up that freedom for the sake of our current economic system and security.

It was at that moment, as I looked down at my sleeping son's face, that I realized something about myself.

In my mind there was no longer any excuse to keep things closed. To keep things locked down. To give away rights to our personal data. Not even a little bit. I simply would not allow a world that would treat my son and daughter in such a despicable, horrible way. A world that would force him to either give up his freedom or fight, tooth and nail, to try to reclaim freedoms that he should never have lost in the first place.

I had, somewhere along the line, become a Free Software extremist. Just like all those extremists that I'd spent so many years arguing and debating with. It just took two kids to get me there.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

this seems interesting
http://www.fwupd.org/

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

this is impressively dumb

"In my mind there was no longer any excuse to keep things closed. To keep things locked down. To give away rights to our personal data."

locking information down is the worst thing you can do. you should lock information down instead.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
linux tycoon, where you start an enterprise distro and see how much free labor you can scam out of dumbasses

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"I want to get off Mr. Shuttleworth's Wild Ride." :mad:

"Just looking at Unity makes me feel sick." :(

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

CPColin posted:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

CPColin posted:

"pulseaudio has crashed! 12 people died."

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

this is impressively dumb

"In my mind there was no longer any excuse to keep things closed. To keep things locked down. To give away rights to our personal data."

locking information down is the worst thing you can do. you should lock information down instead.

software should be free

data should be private

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

software should be free

data should be private

Wish ur posts were private

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

software should be free

data should be private

code is data

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Soricidus posted:

code is data

harvard architecture forever

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

carry on then posted:

2015 year of LISP on the microcontroller

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

carry on then posted:

even if you distinguish at runtime between machine code and data, the source code is still always data

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Soricidus posted:

even if you distinguish at runtime between machine code and data, the source code is still always data

thanks for the fishmech answer

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
my pleasure

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Mozilla still pushing out SeaMonkey and it still looks like Netscape,

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MrMoo posted:

Mozilla still pushing out SeaMonkey and it still looks like Netscape,

if it aint broke don't fix it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i use the seamonkey html wysiwyg html editor for some things lol

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
am I the only one who mixes up sysctl and systemctl?

I mean fuuuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Symbolic Butt posted:

am I the only one who mixes up sysctl and systemctl?

I mean fuuuck

Yes

But I have the luxury of not dealing with systemctl too much so maybe I'll do it in the future after people realize how much it sucks and start splitting it into independent modules with low coupling and clear separation of functions so that

.... hahahahahahah ok I'm done joking now