Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rivals of Aether is a new game by people I don't know and their other games look bad. I don't care. Sorry. This game is good though, and on Steam. Here's the important stuff:

• RoA is a game that plays very similar to Smash Bros - Characters take percent damage and fly further the higher their percent is, and you KO people by knocking them far enough off/above/under stage that they touch a blast zone and blow up.
  • Every character has a simple moveset, again like Smash, with one button handling jabs/tilts, another for strong (smash) attacks, and a third for specials (stuff like projectiles and movement tools). However, characters also have very versatile combo trees due to the fairly generous (but not at all frustrating) hitstun. Combos feel really nice.
  • Multiple cool stages that each feel different and let the character's fun movement options (wall jumps, special moves, other stuff) really shine.
  • Related to the above, moving around feels really really good. Movement is snappy and responsive, everyone's tools are a blast to use.
  • Good training mode with hitbox display options and other goodies.
  • Currently supports 1v1s online and 4 players (teams and FFA) offline.
  • No blocking (????). Instead, characters have a roll/airdodge and a parry. Successfully parrying a projectile reflects it, and parrying any other move results in the opponent being briefly stunned, letting you start your own offense. It's basically power shielding, but without the safety of the shield if you mess up.
  • Newly added tutorial which introduces you to a lot of Smash-like concepts (teching, wall-jumping) very cleanly, as well as some higher end techniques. Check it out!

Wow cool game, what characters you got?

RoA currently has 8 characters with a rumored 2-4 more in the (distant) future. This is them. Please note that I seriously don't care about lore or whatever so I won't be talking about that. Also click the name banners to get their full deets including moves and stuff:

Unique Mechanics: Burn Damage and Fire Amp

Zetterburn is a fire lion who likes to get in people's faces and kill them at low percents. He accomplishes this by lighting people on fire which serves two purposes: 1) It does damage over time, and perhaps more importantly, 2) his next Strong attack consumes the burning effect to double its knockback, allowing him to KO people with ease. He's otherwise a very well-rounded character with a good projectile, decent damage and recovery, and a very potent combo game. Play Zetterburn if you've always wanted to play P:M Wolf with none of his weaknesses.

Unique Mechanics: Puddles and Water Amp

Orcane is a weird ink oil whale? I don't know. He's really slippery though and plays like it; A good match for Orcane is spacing people with your amazing disjointed hitboxes and weird movement options then juggling them off the stage a few times until you win. He can also place puddles using his neutral- and down-special which he can then either teleport to from anywhere (including offstage) using his up-special or turn into a bubble trap with his down-special. Additionally, if you perform a Strong attack while standing on a puddle you'll absorb it to significantly increase the attack's range. It's difficult to get used to but once you get it the mobility and spacing is top tier. Play Orcane if you like teleports and disjointed hitboxes on rushdown characters.

Unique Mechanics: Multijumps and Aerial Strongs

Wrastor is a bird with ugly goggles that wants nothing more than to go fast and combo people until they cry. He can place a jet stream on stage in a horizontal line that greatly increases his speed while he's inside it, and this enables a lot of silly combos. He can also keep people off stage with ease, and recover just as easily, thanks to his multiple jumps and large aerial attacks. Weirder still, Wrastor has the unique privilege of being the only character who can perform Strong attack while airborne, and in fact can ONLY perform them while airborne. This makes his aerial combo tree very unique and has a lot of room for style if that's your thing. Play Wrastor if you think it sounds cool to give Metaknight Marth's aerials and smashes.

Unique Mechanics: Persistent Terrain and Armor

Kragg. My boy. Kragg is RoA's heavyweight character, able to KO people with Zetterburn's ease without any sort of setup. You pay for it with speed though, as Kragg is one of the slowest characters and this is true about both his movement speed and many of his attacks. Even his projectile needs primed. Still, his damage is insane and having Super Armor on his side-special allows him to plow through a lot of faster, wimpier attacks. A lot of his combos are more DI-dependent than some of the cast, but if you get some solid reads you can rack up damage safely and easily. He's also able to summon terrain which persists indefinitely, and can be used in a bunch of cool ways that I'll let people mess around with on their own. Play Kragg if you like getting kills off good reads at 50% and being the game's secret zoning character.

Unique Mechanics: Decoys and Smokescreen/Combust

Forsburn is like, a smoke gnoll? I think? Like Orcane, he's a very tricky type of character, but in a very different way. Instead of having disjointed attacks and weird movement, he instead can obscure his movement with clouds of smoke with his neutral-special move or forward-tilt. These clouds last for a bit but can be swatted away, but they fully conceal Forsburn's movement while leaving his opponents fully visible. Additionally, Forsburn can absorb these clouds with his down-special, and if you inhale three clouds you can then Combust with the same input, doing significant damage and knockback to anyone nearby. If that isn't enough, he can also clone himself with his Decoy ability and control the decoy. Like the smoke, simply attacking it will disperse the decoy, but it's still a fantastic offensive tool. His knockback power and damage isn't stellar, but he can easily turn the game into a single player experience if you let him. Play Forsburn if you're cool playing the second character with "burn" in his name, and also you love being fast and annoying.

Unique Mechanics: Hunter's Mark and Plants

Maypul is a big weasel with leaf katars on her arms. Usually a fast, ground-based character with some decent range, Maypul can mark enemies with several moves, and that's when the magic happens. A marked enemy is susceptible to other moves in Maypul's arsenal, such as her Slightshot which instantly tethers onto the marked target and pulls her to them lickity-split. Another option for making a marked foes hate their lives is wrapping them up - When an enemy is marked, her down-special and her Strongs will entangle the foe in vines, making for some pretty oppressive combo opportunities and stage denial. She can also place a plant to constrict people, and you can feed the plant seeds to refresh its duration. Play Maypul if you want to be Dudley mixed with Ivysaur and Squirtle, and also be a weasel.

Unique Mechanics: Lightning Cloud and Storm Control

Absa is a lisa frank goat with lightning powers. She can place a storm cloud on the screen that acts as a hitbox and has some unique properties, like the ability to do a big ol' lightning bolt between the cloud and herself, or to supercharge it and make it explode. She also has sweet spots on some of her moves and honestly just plays a whole lot like P:M Zelda mixed with Pikachu and Mewtwo. Her jumps travel far both vertically and horizontally allowing her to mix people up with her devastating aerials and catch recovering opponents in awkward positions. While RoA has no true pure zoning character Absa comes the closest. Don't play this character, because I'll hate you.

Unique Mechanics: Super Armor and Icy Terrain

Etalus is the most recent (and probably last for a long time) addition to the cast. Like Kragg he doesn't hit as much as other characters but he makes those individual hits count! Unlike Kragg he's actually quite comfortable in the air, having massive hitboxes and an armored forward-air. Several of his moves will coat the ground in a thick layer of ice which enables him to slip and slide around on it, extending combos and letting his dash attack (which can be jump- and up-strong-canceled) cover insane distance. Two of his attacks, neutral-special and down-special, also interact with ice in a special way - If you perform the former while standing on ice you'll gain super armor which lasts until you get hit or perform a Strong attack, and using the latter destroys all icy terrain but freezes any foe standing on it, allowing for tech-chases. This is my main so if you need match-up experience hit me up.

Any other game footage?

The trailer has lots of cool gameplay bits, check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zujDjI_tRBQ

Why would I care about this game if I already play [some version of] Smash?

Well, it's on PC and it seems to have really good netcode. That alone was a big deal for me.

But more importantly(?), it doesn't actually feel that much like any existing Smash title (though individual characters are certainly inspired by different games/smash brothers. I'm looking at you Zetterburn). The defensive changes and removals of throws keep the game moving very quickly and do a lot to separate it from any of the Smash titles. This video does a lot to showcase the differences between RoA and Smash proper including parrying and movement. I highly recommend watching.

Early Access?!

Yep. poo poo sucks. The game is fun though and everything feels real nice. Probably needs work in the sound department and some hit sparks and stuff but the core is really strong. Balance changes will definitely be happening too, though I can't say at what regularity.

Other Links and junk
- How to set up a Gamecube controller to work on RoA (note: this will almost definitely have native support eventually, but currently its just normal usb controllers afaik, I personally play on a 360 pad).
- Reddit FAQ on the game.
- Steam Group for people to find opponents and stuff
- Tutorial on how to add Custom Music, a lot of the music is good but sometimes you want to mix it up.
- Most recent patch notes (0.14.0)

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

the game owns and the whale is very powerful.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
orcane's fair is so good

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

This is one of the worst game titles I've ever heard of. However, I'll play it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

net cafe scandal posted:

This is one of the worst game titles I've ever heard of. However, I'll play it.

It's incredibly bad and the sound is also bad, but I like basically everything else. Moving around feels so good.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I made a steam group so people can actually fight each other. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/roagoons

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Does it feel like it has staying power and a decent sized community? It looks awesome, but multiplayer games on PC always die.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

quick note for people who want the controls to feel more like smash: if you hit the wrench button on your character portrait at the character select you can change the controls. there are options for turning tap jump on and one for turning strong attack on or off. turning strong attacks on means you can do a smash attack input with just the regular attack button to get the strong attack to come out

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Reason posted:

Does it feel like it has staying power and a decent sized community? It looks awesome, but multiplayer games on PC always die.

Well hopefully the early access stream of content will keep people interested over a long period

Frosburn is really cool but i havent had to play against him yet i wonder how annoying the smoke actually is to deal with

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Yo is shovel knight in this game

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Reason posted:

It's hard to say. A good deal of smash people have been streaming it and I know the big PM stream is talking about doing tournaments and such. I can't talk for the wider community but it's been really fun just playing with people here and friends, it's entirely possible it'll end up a small community but even games like Bloodline Champions have dedicated playerbases years later, even if they're small.

Gaffle posted:

Well hopefully the early access stream of content will keep people interested over a long period

Frosburn is really cool but i havent had to play against him yet i wonder how annoying the smoke actually is to deal with

The smoke is as annoying as you let it be. It forces your opponent to approach since the smoke just keeps building and it gives you a TON of cover if you get enough of it out, so your opponent is going to be throwing out hitboxes to try to clear it and that's a great way to bait and punish.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

The smoke also refreshes his recovery. If your up b ends in smoke you can use it again for free. Also activating the clone gives you roughly a marth side-b amount of horizontal momentum so combining smoke into your stage positioning will be pretty important I think. I really like that little gnoll.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

It might be a cool idea to compile a list of some of the more nuanced tricks that each character is capable of. I'm slowly discovering a bunch of things as I mess around.

Orcane: His fair has extreme DI, more than normal, you can really travel fast and far if you want. His back during the fair animation is a hitbox that appears to have knockback proportional to distance and/or speed. It can definitely kill very early if you are going fast. He can also seemingly cancel his jump into his up-b and vice versa. This only works when he doesnt have a puddle out, but produces a very insane super jump when done properly. Its too risky for me to bother with, but its a cool tech.

Forsburn: His clone is a positionally aware AI. You have no control over the movement, it will always try to seek out the enemy and approach it when it is not given a command. Every time you press side-b it will check where the opponent is compared to where it is, and try to use the move that will do the most damage from that position. You can use this to essentially choose what moves it will do. Just spamming side-b as soon as it comes out will make it repeatedly use the dash-attack (which combos into itself a few times, conveniently) however if you wait to press side-b until it is very close to the enemy, it will begin to spam up-tilts instead. It's cool and fun, mess with it.

I'll add some stuff for the other characters later but I'm gonna play now instead of typing more.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

It might be a cool idea to compile a list of some of the more nuanced tricks that each character is capable of. I'm slowly discovering a bunch of things as I mess around.

Orcane: His fair has extreme DI, more than normal, you can really travel fast and far if you want. His back during the fair animation is a hitbox that appears to have knockback proportional to distance and/or speed. It can definitely kill very early if you are going fast. He can also seemingly cancel his jump into his up-b and vice versa. This only works when he doesnt have a puddle out, but produces a very insane super jump when done properly. Its too risky for me to bother with, but its a cool tech.

Forsburn: His clone is a positionally aware AI. You have no control over the movement, it will always try to seek out the enemy and approach it when it is not given a command. Every time you press side-b it will check where the opponent is compared to where it is, and try to use the move that will do the most damage from that position. You can use this to essentially choose what moves it will do. Just spamming side-b as soon as it comes out will make it repeatedly use the dash-attack (which combos into itself a few times, conveniently) however if you wait to press side-b until it is very close to the enemy, it will begin to spam up-tilts instead. It's cool and fun, mess with it.

I'll add some stuff for the other characters later but I'm gonna play now instead of typing more.

The fire lion, Fiery Lion Man, can set people on fire and then hit them for bonus damage. Just a little hint for you.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
not quite the same thing, but Kragg can spike people with his rock if he throws it down. A lot safer than using his dair, though obviously more difficult to have ready. Also I just got back from playing irl for like 6 hours straight, good poo poo.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

messing around last night i realized you can double maypul's jump height by using her up-air the moment you press jump

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

The clone actually tries to do an attack any time you press b, which usually leads to me inadvertently making tons and tons of extra smoke, and i'm sure someday soon i will die horribly by accidentally doing an up-b off the edge while controlling it

I noticed that you can lose the charged down-b if you do his n-b or side-b, but then it only takes one more inhale to get it back? I guess they really don't want you to be able to have the threat of the explosion and the smoke screen at the same time since you get rid of all the smoke clouds once you get the last charge.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gaffle posted:

I noticed that you can lose the charged down-b if you do his n-b or side-b, but then it only takes one more inhale to get it back? I guess they really don't want you to be able to have the threat of the explosion and the smoke screen at the same time since you get rid of all the smoke clouds once you get the last charge.

Yeah I assume that's the reason. I should really go through the smashboards thread thats been going since 2014 and look at the changes. Apparently that's the real hotbed for game discussion right now, if people want to check it out http://smashboards.com/threads/rivals-of-aether-official-thread.360443/

Also someone play me, I have an hour to kill

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im guessing you basically need a controller for this right

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Eonwe posted:

im guessing you basically need a controller for this right

I'd certainly recommend it, but when I was playing irl today one guy was playing on keyboard since we only had 3 controllers and it only took him a few games to really get used to it. I'm sure he'd have done better on a controller but that might be because this game is basically smash controls and most people are used to that.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
drat I just have a USB 360 controller that is kind of hit or miss on picking up input

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
totally doable with a keyboard but its much more smoother with a 360/GC controller. The game natively supports 360 controllers so you'll probably be alright

Trying to get the hang of ORca whaledog but you know me i love being aggressive as hell and I don't really know how to approach because their freakin' fair makes me go backwards. Seems like a really vertical type of character

Also Lol at Kragg Up-B's and immediately up-smashing them to the blastzone

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The real Kragg meta is baiting your opponent's parry after the up-B and then destroying them with a charged dsmash

e: the meta-meta is them just nairing instead though

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i changed my mind kragg is the zoner of this game. i love his rock so much

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

bef posted:

Trying to get the hang of ORca whaledog but you know me i love being aggressive as hell and I don't really know how to approach because their freakin' fair makes me go backwards. Seems like a really vertical type of character

a puddle-charged side-b hits harder and goes further than non-charged, perfect for just teleporting in on someone turtling. also play some mind games, if you have a puddle out and you up-b on the ground, you'll teleport to the other puddle and leave one behind where you were. flip back and forth to gently caress with someone and surprise them with a puddle-charged smash.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

protip for orcane: neutral b on flat ground fires a shot exactly one roll distance away from orcane. you can steadily advance with neutral b -> roll forward -> neutral b -> roll forward and always be in a puddle.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
Orcane's a cutie patootie. Hit them with the weak falling hit of up air to up smash and their tears will make a puddle for you. What's everyone's favorite Orcane color? I like the sassy fuschia but an argument can be made for the actual orca color.

I am Reverend fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 26, 2015

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
This game looks cool. Needs work on the sound effects though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cabbagepots posted:

This game looks cool. Needs work on the sound effects though.

the sounds are definitely the weakest part, I hate pretty much all of them other than a few like Kragg's pillar and Wrastor's up-smash. Hopefully it'll get addressed going forward.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Preliminary cuteness tier:

S Tier: Orcane
A Tier: Maypul
B Tier: Fiery Lion Man, Kragg
C Tier: Wrastor
Z Tier: Skull Fire Man

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Also if you want games the #goonsmash IRC on synirc is a good place to look.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

this is basically a nearly perfect multiplayer gameplay experience that someone vomited vague poke-furries onto and then recorded someone like rifling through stacks of paper and tearing tissue boxes for the sound effects. even the music is pretty much extremely rote and mindless. its a marvel that it is so incredibly fun and addictive to play. Imagine what someone could accomplish if they simply emulated melee mechanics with a real budget and art direction and an actual composer.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

i will say that the terrible character designs did scale down nicely into sprites. though as many have noted, the quality difference between some of them is pretty major.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i like b eetle

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

can this game be played with a fight stick? i don't know anything about how smash controls.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

can this game be played with a fight stick? i don't know anything about how smash controls.

an analog stick is useful so you can walk/run/dash, but otherwise all the other controls are mappable to normal buttons including smashes.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

the eighth character was found in a sprite sheet, its an armored polar bear. here he is compared to the rest of the sprites, he is very large and i assume he will be strong and fun.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Good as a fan of heavy characters I'd rather play a bear than a bug.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIvm2Z0ZoPM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

You could play it with a fight stick but there's a considerable number of reasons you wouldn't want to, the main one being no analog control. It's very important in a game like Smash, as certain tactics require pixel-perfect precision.

• Locked thread