Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Limitless, starring Bradley Cooper, is a sequel to the eponymous 2011 movie Limitless, starring Bradley Cooper. However, that movie is not this tv show. No, it has at least two different actors and possibly, a different plot.

Synopsis: Limitless, the tv show, is about a drug called Enzyte, or NZT for short. It is a performance-enhancing drug that allows the common man to “supposedly” unlock his potential. Naturally, unextraordinary men from all over New York are willing to kill for this drug, erecting a major FBI investigation on the manufacturer behind NZT. However, due to the unextraordinary nature of FBI agents, as is a common theme in most media, the FBI turns to someone they believe is extraordinary, someone who takes NZT, yet is immune to the effects of dysfunction. Someone who is Limitless.

Watch the pilot for free on CBS: http://www.cbs.com/shows/limitless/video/cpNGLYv_V_klTcDJt2VTtID_E_Sz4QVH/limitless-pilot/

Characters (more characters to be added as show progresses):

Jake McDorman as Brian Finch, a seemingly unextraordinary man who takes an enzyte after his friend gives it to him, after which he becomes the most wanted man in New York.

Jennifer Carpenter as FBI agent Rebecca Harris. She works directly with Brian on various cases and may have a personality.

Bradley Cooper as Eddie Morra, the original main character from the film, Limitless, not this TV show. Future president, current senator. Also, he is the producer of this tv show.

Michael Shaw and Tom Degnan as Mike and Ike, the agents who govern Brian's NZT consumption. Mike is the one with the hairy chest.

Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio as Nasreen "Naz" Pouran, previously a monster hunter known as a Grimm, now the head of the FBI.

Reviews:

Enzyte Hero and Sales Rep posted:

I enjoyed the pilot of LIMITLESS. It does repeat the plot of the movie a tad bit more than I’d like, but it offers a more sympathetic hero than the film; Brian wants to help others, not himself, and it takes us back into the conspiracy presented. Source: http://www.seat42f.com/limitless-review.html

Unextraordinary Review Critic posted:

Limitless has something of a confounding pilot to review. It’s a swift, nimble hour of television that moves almost effortlessly through miles of set-up. The episode is quite fun in the way that it takes generic procedural tropes and sticks them to a central character solving a crime revolving around himself. There’s more than a little style present throughout, especially in the drug-fueled chase scenes. But then the denouement hits, and you can see where this is going. Another FBI case-of-the-week grind, with rare hints of a larger mythology… Grade: B Source: http://www.cutprintfilm.com/tv/limitless-has-an-energetic-beginning-but-promises-a-generic-future/

:engleft::siren::siren::allears:

Ravane fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I enjoyed this television program. Solid thumbs up, will watch again.

EDIT: Change thread tag to Drugs because, duh.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

X-O posted:

I enjoyed this television program. Solid thumbs up, will watch again.

EDIT: Change thread tag to Drugs because, duh.

It was very good! I couldn't find the drugs tag :saddowns:. Silly me.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
The movie was fun but shallow; smartest man in the world and basically all he did was try to get rich. I hope the series delves more into how NZT changes the person.

Somewhere an innocent person died after their desperately needed liver transplant was unexpectedly rescheduled for no apparent reason...

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Piriwi posted:

I hope the series delves more into how NZT changes the person.

Somewhere an innocent person died after their desperately needed liver transplant was unexpectedly rescheduled for no apparent reason...

I do too.

The sad thing about Liver transplants is that 20,000 people need them, but they don't always need a full liver. Many just need pieces and the thing about livers is that they're the only organ that can regenerate itself (besides our skin), so you can actually donate a part of your liver every three months. If even a few thousand people did this once or twice in five years, they'd save nearly five thousand lives and cut down the list of transplants for people who really need it. Unfortunately, nobody knows that you can donate part of your liver. Another unfortunate problem is nepotism in transplants. When chronic alcoholics, who demonstrate no resolve to change, get ahead on the transplant list, the system needs to be rethought.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Not really sure why that warranted the spoiler tag. :confused:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
The only thing that isn't limitless is Jennifer Carpenter's colourful vocabulary.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sober posted:

The only thing that isn't limitless is Jennifer Carpenter's colourful vocabulary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13DId1aNtW0

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

It's almost like she's Australian.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Xoidanor posted:

Not really sure why that warranted the spoiler tag. :confused:

I'm not sure either. Oh well. :frogbon:

Ravane fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 25, 2015

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?
This show was fairly decent for the first 35 minutes, but the last 10 felt like they just had to tie everything up with a nice bow to segue into crime-of-the-week or whatever that starts next week.

They know he's taking drugs every day, right? If they are so concerned about this problem, why aren't they trying to go after his supplier through him? Maybe this will show up next week. And the whole holding up the bank to get the cops to open up Honeycutt's safe deposit box was just... weird. That has to have problems with the permissibility of evidence. And, oops, let's just kinda shove all that under the carpet because he just seems like such a nice guy.

That being said, the main guy is engaging and goes from semi-deadbeat to genius fairly effortlessly, and I'm a sucker for sci-fi shows and will continue to watch.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dryb posted:

This show was fairly decent for the first 35 minutes, but the last 10 felt like they just had to tie everything up with a nice bow to segue into crime-of-the-week or whatever that starts next week.

They know he's taking drugs every day, right? If they are so concerned about this problem, why aren't they trying to go after his supplier through him? Maybe this will show up next week. And the whole holding up the bank to get the cops to open up Honeycutt's safe deposit box was just... weird. That has to have problems with the permissibility of evidence. And, oops, let's just kinda shove all that under the carpet because he just seems like such a nice guy.

That being said, the main guy is engaging and goes from semi-deadbeat to genius fairly effortlessly, and I'm a sucker for sci-fi shows and will continue to watch.

No need for spoiler tags, the FBI is in fact going to be his supplier not Morra. Morra is going to be giving him shots so he can continue taking it but the FBI will be supplying the pills because they believe his physiology is naturally able to overcome the side effects. Remember they've been giving pills to agents but none of them could take more than a few doses without brain rot.

You are a nerd
Apr 9, 2003

See?

Ravane posted:

The sad thing about Liver transplants is that 20,000 people need them, but they don't always need a full liver. Many just need pieces and the thing about livers is that they're the only organ that can regenerate itself (besides our skin), so you can actually donate a part of your liver every three months.

Whoever told you this is wrong. Your liver is composed of two conjoined lobes and when you donate a partial liver, they take one of these. The remaining half fills some of the space left behind, but it can't be further bisected so no, you can't donate your liver over and over.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

You are a nerd posted:

Whoever told you this is wrong. Your liver is composed of two conjoined lobes and when you donate a partial liver, they take one of these. The remaining half fills some of the space left behind, but it can't be further bisected so no, you can't donate your liver over and over.

https://www.med.nyu.edu/surgery/transplant/liver/donors/after-surgery

I just read this. I assumed that because it could grow back to full size, you could eventually donate again.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

You are a nerd posted:

I am a professional liver donator.

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?

X-O posted:

No need for spoiler tags, the FBI is in fact going to be his supplier not Morra. Morra is going to be giving him shots so he can continue taking it but the FBI will be supplying the pills because they believe his physiology is naturally able to overcome the side effects. Remember they've been giving pills to agents but none of them could take more than a few doses without brain rot.

Ah, must have missed that. I thought he was also getting the pills from Bradley Cooper, that must have just been the shot that was preventing the side-effects.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought the beginning was kind of goofy with the almost scene for scene remake of the movie but once they got past that it was good. Not really a fan of the female lead yet though, she seemed kind of bland.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

After watching ep 2 I'm definitely gonna stick with this show. I don't know if it will turn out to be actual quality television but its entertaining and I actually laughed quite a few times which I wasnt expecting. Lead actor really carries this one.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dubar posted:

After watching ep 2 I'm definitely gonna stick with this show. I don't know if it will turn out to be actual quality television but its entertaining and I actually laughed quite a few times which I wasnt expecting. Lead actor really carries this one.

Wait isn't it on right now? I see the record light on my tuner. Does it air earlier in Canadia or something?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So far it has a really snappy energy. Really laughed at how he made Mike and Ike puppets and made them kiss.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah this has a fun energy to it that I don't usually associate with a CBS show. Jake McDorman makes a really great lead.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
I'm impressed with this - I thought it'd be a procedural guy-with-awesome-brain-powers cop thing, but they're making their own way around. People are talking to each other, they meet the elephants in the room head on, and there's a bucketload of character development.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Pikehead posted:

I'm impressed with this - I thought it'd be a procedural guy-with-awesome-brain-powers cop thing, but they're making their own way around. People are talking to each other, they meet the elephants in the room head on, and there's a bucketload of character development.

I agree, I was worried after the pilot, but this second episode was solid.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I mentioned this in the chat thread but I liked how they solved the case this week. A lot of times when shows do the whole evil CEO thing they ignore the fact that hey, maybe the people actually working for the company might not be too thrilled with their boss committing (or commissioning) murder.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
NinjaVsBear@ReAbsorbedTwin.com

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I am really surprised with how much I am enjoying this show. I think the tone is a lot different than what I expected, he takes the drug and everything is sort of happy and wonderful. He spends a few hours organizing sexual harassment files and it's treated like someone seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time. They might eventually try to contrast the highs and lows when he is off the drug but I am kind of enjoying that it's so upbeat. Too many shows with just horrible people upset at how horrible society is.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Agreeing with the others in that the lead actor is doing a great job. He really seems :smug: but not too much when he is on NZT.

I'm curious too see if other people outside the FBI learn about him and what could arise from that.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Nice use of a Fight Like Apes song when he was walking back into the office.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Holy poo poo am I ever tired of quirky white guy in his late twenties or early thirties solves problems with the help of his female and/or minority sidekick(s). Also, everything doesn't need to be a goddamn procedural.

That said, I'm watching and enjoying so far... Sigh.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

odiv posted:

Holy poo poo am I ever tired of quirky white guy in his late twenties or early thirties solves problems with the help of his female and/or minority sidekick(s). Also, everything doesn't need to be a goddamn procedural.

Unlike a lot of procedurals this looks like they're having fun with stuff.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I liked the "Rebecca's awesome take-down" scene, was p funny.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

buddhanc posted:

I liked the "Rebecca's awesome take-down" scene, was p funny.

"You ran like a rabbit but now you're gonna die like a snake."

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
And now we're starting to see why Senator Morra is helping Brian.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

Unlike a lot of procedurals this looks like they're having fun with stuff.

The sniper tower tableau made from post-it notes was hilarious.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
How much more are they going to milk the Bradley Cooper scene since he probably isn't showing up again any time soon?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

odiv posted:

...never realized how many shows like these are out there until you posted this, but gently caress...I can think of like six without trying. This one is pretty good though.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
http://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2015/08/27/435171532/television-2015-five-shows-they-will-never-stop-making

quote:

1. The Adventures Of Mr. Superabilities And Detective Ladyskeptic. This is a drama series in which a sometimes mysterious, often super-confident but emotionally messy man who is oddly gifted in some way teams up with a more intellectual, buttoned-up, unconvinced woman who has had to prove her toughness and competence and is not prepared to take any guff from this guy or be impressed by his derring-do. She is not always a detective. She is very good at what she does also, but what she does is way more boring. "This isn't a game, Superabilities!" she says at some point, right before he pulls a rose out from behind her ear. She tears up and says, "My dad used to do that." Eventually, they will become allies. They may or may not kiss. At some point, they will have to go undercover and she will have to wear a fancy dress.

basically.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

This show would have been a million times more interesting if it wasn't a procedural.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

DarkCrawler posted:

...never realized how many shows like these are out there until you posted this, but gently caress...I can think of like six without trying. This one is pretty good though.

Tons of these, which is why I was worried when I made the OP that this show would also head this route. It absolutely did, but the main character is incredibly entertaining , he overshadows everyone else anyway.

I recently started watching X-files on netflix for the first time, and I thought that the same thing would happen there, but the pilot convinced me that Scully is actually insanely qualified. Even if she isn't as experienced as Mulder in "weird stuff", she's certainly intelligent enough to be a quick-study. I really liked the pairing there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

odiv posted:

Its sad that this is the type of a show they create when the movie about a loser becoming stupid smart was pretty good.

Why are they going with a monster of the week type of deal? Ill try to hang on but limitless intelligence attempting to solve crimes each week over an hour is pretty boring.

• Locked thread