Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

A good general needs to figure out the strengths and weaknesses of his subordinates in order to wisely determine their disposition in battle. Glory hound aggressive commanders like them are similar to Admiral Halsey, Patton, etc; Generals who wanna meet the enemy and punch them in the face the sooner the better. They're good assets, guaranteed to give battle and give it their all. More cautious generals on the flip side may allow and enemy to escape or pass by them rather than engage when they need to engage.

Although on the flipside, cautious commanders give you people like the Roman General and Politician for whom "Fabian Tactics" owes its name; people certain to not foolishly guide their army to catastrophe.

For Arslan they'd be good generals when you wanna race to the enemy and be certain you have generals who are motivated enough to drive their troops to give it their all. Not so good as we see when the enemy has the terrain advantage and you lack sufficient intel.

In short, it wouldn't be wise for Arslan whose position is still uncertain to start chopping off peoples heads for insubordination if they show clear contrition and remorse (which they did). Arslan and Narsus need them when the time comes and I think this set back served a valuable purpose in instilling a sense of personal loyalty and unity to his otherwise quarreling forces. His troops now know he wont foolishly throw their lives away and will go the extra mile to preserve them when he can; that's Hannibal territory right there. It's a powerful sort of morale advantage.

Also read the intro prelude chapter to Art of War; "If at first they don't follow my orders then the fault is mine, for I was unclear." They need to gently caress up a bit more before Arslan is clearly justified.

Good on Gieve though, he's taking his role on like a champ; hopefully he's officially allowed to be let back in when they win.
Wise words from a notable general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Eh, Arslan can't really afford to execute or isolate those guys, but charging heedlessly forward is a good way to gently caress up the army's formation and getting people impetuously killed. I feel like he should have reprimanded them at the very least, but that isn't the style of Arlsan the Moe.

This show may be a fantasy adventure, but Tanaka still takes time to bash aristocracy. Love it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dogsicle posted:

yeah Etoile had super obvious eyelashes that seemed to suggest "he" is female. it did seem like she had breasts, the flashback seemed like a "you're a girl, you can't go to war" deal, and then to seal the deal she wore "drag" to infiltrate Peshawar.

she seems great for Arslan, Daryun be damned

Even if she is actually a boy, I doubt Parsian law has anything about homosexual relationships, especially if the king is in one

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Xelkelvos posted:

Even if she is actually a boy, I doubt Parsian law has anything about homosexual relationships, especially if the king is in one
On the side/down low is probably one thing, but the king always needs to provide an heir.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if it weren't for that endcard, I wouldn't cadre if this episode just didn't exist. nothing happened

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dogsicle posted:

if it weren't for that endcard, I wouldn't cadre if this episode just didn't exist. nothing happened

It was basically a set-up episode before the climactic fight. A number of scenes weren't unessential, but a few of them could have been slotted elsewhere with no ill effect. I am curious as to this prophecy that Andragoras is talking about and how it relates to Arslan and Hermes. It may be the main reason Arslan was adopted and his presence tolerated, even though he wasn't of royal blood and that a legitimate heir

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Newest episode up and the first of two inevitable confrontations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Reading the manga as the anime goes along, Arakawa puts a lot more effort into characterizing everybody than the anime staff did. Which I guess is fair, since her deadline is "once a month" and not "finish it in 24 episodes", but still, even though everyone looks the same and the major plot points are all the same, the comic crackles with so much more energy...

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Now THAT was a good episode. Everything is finally coming to a head at last and Arlsan is finally stepping into his role as king. Can't wait till next week.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Finally, the moment the entire series has been leading up to is happening next episode: Arslan and Etoile kissing

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Adelheid posted:

Finally, the moment the entire series has been leading up to is happening next episode: Arslan and Etoile kissing

You better not be lying to me! :mad:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Adelheid posted:

I doubt Etoile is about to kiss some filthy heathen. Even if he is cute.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
This show is so consistently good, gonna be sad when it's over next week.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Adelheid posted:

Please. The show will only tease them maybe kissing if you go read the manga for five more years.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Well, I guess I understand why the last couple episodes have seemed low-budget, given that they were obviously working on this one for several weeks with all their money devoted to it. God, what a good episode. I can't believe how many frames of animation went into Arslan and Etoile's passionate embrace

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Adelheid posted:

Well, I guess I understand why the last couple episodes have seemed low-budget, given that they were obviously working on this one for several weeks with all their money devoted to it. God, what a good episode. I can't believe how many frames of animation went into Arslan and Etoile's passionate embrace

Even still, there were a few scene that had terrible quality like Alfreed first getting to the top of the wall.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Are we going to get more Arslan? :ohdear:

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010
Think this might be a 26 episode course, there was definitely a preview for next episode this time so one or two more.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Are we going to get more Arslan? :ohdear:

I'm sure we'll probably get some in a year or two after Arakawa does more of the manga

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

etoille is such a fanatic idiot

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Farangis using the power of righteous baps to throw off the enemy archers' aim was my favorite part of the episode. I am glad there are at least one or two more episodes. I thought this was going to be the final episode. I was waiting for a "second season production confirmed" blurb after the ED and was surprised by the preview.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Holy poo poo that got intense. That ending scene with the Lusitanian ladies makes me think of the time I had to read the Mainz Anonymous in high school. Hit me pretty hard. :stonk:

grrarg posted:

Farangis using the power of righteous baps to throw off the enemy archers' aim was my favorite part of the episode. I am glad there are at least one or two more episodes. I thought this was going to be the final episode. I was waiting for a "second season production confirmed" blurb after the ED and was surprised by the preview.

Actually, this was the only bad part of the episode in my opinion. Maybe it would have worked better if she had visibly used magic, but as it was it seemed she had +5 Plot Armor. It made me think of a completely different historical document--the point in the Baburnamah where Babur mocks a noble who believed some sycophantic imams and believed he was blessed with invulnerability. The guy died pretty quickly.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Getting pretty tired of this stupid black magic horseshit, and the cliche'd *shows up just in time to see mentor figure "killed" by protagonist to cause misunderstanding* reared it's head, otherwise a good enough episode.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Viola the Mad posted:

Holy poo poo that got intense. That ending scene with the Lusitanian ladies makes me think of the time I had to read the Mainz Anonymous in high school. Hit me pretty hard. :stonk:

Actually, this was the only bad part of the episode in my opinion. Maybe it would have worked better if she had visibly used magic, but as it was it seemed she had +5 Plot Armor. It made me think of a completely different historical document--the point in the Baburnamah where Babur mocks a noble who believed some sycophantic imams and believed he was blessed with invulnerability. The guy died pretty quickly.

She never does so though, her magic is always the very subtle sort and is never meant to be flash or visible. She communicates with Wind Djinn's and they do stuff for her.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Raenir Salazar posted:

She never does so though, her magic is always the very subtle sort and is never meant to be flash or visible. She communicates with Wind Djinn's and they do stuff for her.

I don't think it worked very well, the way they framed it just made it look like the enemy soldiers were all graduates from Stormtrooper Archery School.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

I don't think it worked very well, the way they framed it just made it look like the enemy soldiers were all graduates from Stormtrooper Archery School.

The least they could've done was put in some wind effects

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

RabidWeasel posted:

But she says she's protected by the Djinn and we see the arrows miss. In a ancient epic like this, this is normal.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The whole thing just comes over as surreal because the Lusitanian archers are laying down this withering hail of arrow fire which nobody in Arslan's group seems to be even vaguely concerned about other than in the framing shot at the start of the scene, the archers themselves don't seem to think that it's strange that they fired a few hundred arrows into a small group of people at close range and none of them are visibly hurt and just keep on wordlessly shooting even when Farangis starts to leisurely jam arrows through their necks.

They could have done the exact same scene but had the Lusitanians rout or be visibly shaken by their inability to do any damage and it would have worked fine but in a show with a lot of obviously impossible swordplay etc this is the first time I've felt like it broke my suspension of disbelief (though the BAD GUY HAS EVIL MAGIC HELPERS BECAUSE HE'S BAD trope makes me roll my eyes pretty hard every time it pops up).

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 21, 2015

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

The least they could've done was put in some wind effects

This, in a nutshell. There needs to be something to show that this is supernatural, though it doesn't have to be flashy.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it was a weak scene, something this show suffers from relatively often. there was just no impact

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Farangis' tiddies have always been a bit silly.

A good episode. The nuns on the tower scene at the end was really uncomfortable. And also realistic, this thing has has happened before. And it goes to show that even when fighting with the best of intentions, in a just war, people who don't deserve it will suffer.

Also I liked Hermes' fight with Daryun. But I've always liked Hermes and how he starts screeching and raging and making gutteral growls in the middle of combat.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm hoping that the manga version will have a better justification for the guy with the gray bangs and the side he took than the anime. "I'm sure that once Prince Hermes is done selling out his people to a foreign power, letting them institute a state religion, committing a purge of Parsian culture, stepping on the necks of it's citizens AND satisfies his rampant, insane bloodlust against Andragoras and all affiliated parties AND fulfills whatever dark bargain he has made with the spooky shadow wizards he'll be a really great king, honestly"

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm hoping that the manga version will have a better justification for the guy with the gray bangs and the side he took than the anime. "I'm sure that once Prince Hermes is done selling out his people to a foreign power, letting them institute a state religion, committing a purge of Parsian culture, stepping on the necks of it's citizens AND satisfies his rampant, insane bloodlust against Andragoras and all affiliated parties AND fulfills whatever dark bargain he has made with the spooky shadow wizards he'll be a really great king, honestly"

lmao seriously. I wished Kubard/Kishward would just slap the poo poo out of him and wake him up to reality.

Also yeah the nuns + barcacion scenes had a lot of impact

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

OnimaruXLR posted:

Hermes is almost certainly the legitimate successor, though, and Arslan almost certainly isn't. That means that Arslan's hold on the throne will always be contested, which can cause serious problems.

Most of the harshness of rules of inheritance and succession in the ancient and medieval worlds can be chalked up to an awareness that a power vacuum caused by unclear lines of succession and multiple claimants is a Very Bad Thing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Paracelsus posted:

Hermes is almost certainly the legitimate successor, though, and Arslan almost certainly isn't. That means that Arslan's hold on the throne will always be contested, which can cause serious problems.

Most of the harshness of rules of inheritance and succession in the ancient and medieval worlds can be chalked up to an awareness that a power vacuum caused by unclear lines of succession and multiple claimants is a Very Bad Thing.

On the other hand, Bigger Army Diplomacy which Arslan has in spades.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Paracelsus posted:

Everyone knows that supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses. :colbert:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
A demo for the Arslan game was supposed to hit Japanese PSN today. Anyone try it yet?

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!
I have a gripe about the character designs. Mostly it's due to me having a raging fan-boner for Yoshitaki Amano's artwork, but the one that specifically grinds my gears is Farangese, who in the original OVA's looked like a badass Paladin, but in the 2015 series just looks like ridiculous cheesecake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I assume Arakawa didn't appreciate having so few sexy ladies along the manly men so she had to concentrate all the sexiness into one character.

• Locked thread