Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Regnal names have to be simpler to implement, how the hell does the Papacy do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Would putting a list of male and female names into the title for k_france perhaps do it? I'm pretty sure that's how the Papacy does it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I named at least 6 sons "Baudoin" during my Latin Empire game and when they came to throne they always had a II or a VI after

Not out of order just they were always know as X the w/e number they were now.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's pretty retarded that there's no console command to change a character's name. You can change a character's culture, religion, nickname, traits, stats, give them titles or claims, move them, kill them, etc. etc. etc., but you can't change their name. Even though it's just a plain text string in the savefile and there are zero complications to editing the savefile yourself to change the name.

Is there an easy way to destroy titles or something with the console? Because I'd like to be able to mess around with alternate starts but it's such a pain trying to do it with just the give title command. I would love a custom kingdom thing like EU4 has.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
Are prepared invasions broken right now? Just started up a game as Haesteinn, declared an invasion on Italy and got exactly 0 dudes for it in the full 2 years.

edit: Tried again, and once again 0.

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 23, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Ugh I really like that Ironman totally takes away any temptation to console out of impossible situations but goddamn that every-6-month autosave starts dragging after about 100 years.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Tendai posted:

Ugh I really like that Ironman totally takes away any temptation to console out of impossible situations but goddamn that every-6-month autosave starts dragging after about 100 years.

I wonder if the latest optimizations in the patches managed to also fix this somewhat. Since you say '100 years' I presume you don't have the latest DLC and such yet.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No, I have it all, but a hundred years is about the point when I get irritated and go do something else.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm currently 110 years into a game on a midrange computer and it takes about 15 seconds to simulate a month on top speed. It's not too bad yet but the slowdown tends to snowball rather than just be linear over time. I usually give up (from a combination of slow pace and boredom) at around the 150-175 year mark.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
In my computer, midrange too, running linux mint 12, I felt that the performance actually is a little worse after the latest DLC and patch.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I don't know why, but if I let my game autosave, the graphics begin loving up. Each autosave makes it worse.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm currently 110 years into a game on a midrange computer and it takes about 15 seconds to simulate a month on top speed. It's not too bad yet but the slowdown tends to snowball rather than just be linear over time. I usually give up (from a combination of slow pace and boredom) at around the 150-175 year mark.
Yeah this is about the furthest I get as well for the same reason. A bit of boredom, mostly the snowballing effect of how long it takes time to pass/saves to happen.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Saves still aren't bad, if I don't compress them it usually takes about 5 seconds to save even 100+ years in. It took a lot longer before I switched to an SSD, though.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Yeah, the save slowdown is mainly the size of the save file creeping up over time to track changes across the entire map, so the only way to get a reprieve is by switching to an SSD really. I'm running RAID on a pair of mechanical drives and it's not too bad, but the slowdown is still pretty significant once I'm a couple hundred years in.

I imagine the size of the map growing with all the extra asian provinces/dynasties didn't help matter at all either, but I just picked the game up again after taking a year or so break from it so my frame of reference isn't very good.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Welp. I hosed up. So, my King's house is a cadet branch of an older House, House Dyfed. I've taken it upon myself to nuture the older house, and try to keep them around.

Then I made my heir Greek.

So, my spymaster tells me Count Dipshit, who had literally just gotten his loving Duchy, has decided to start plotting to take the Kingdom. I imprison him, and then, in fit of pique, I chop his balls off. I made him a eunuch, and then I gave him the Court Eunuch title because why not?
Then I looked at his family tree, and realized that I've literally just killed House Dyfed. Count Dipshit has no children, and oh, he's the last living male member. :cripes:

Maybe, if I take the Seduction option, I can impregnate his wife and the fact that he's got no testicles won't ever be relevant?

Edit: Ah gently caress, too late now. My ruler died and his wife will be too old. RIP House Dyfed, the last living member a castrated, blind, Duke.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 23, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

TheBlackRoija posted:

Are prepared invasions broken right now? Just started up a game as Haesteinn, declared an invasion on Italy and got exactly 0 dudes for it in the full 2 years.

I had a Haesteinn game a week or two ago and prepared invasion was working properly for me.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

TheBlackRoija posted:

You stop getting troops entirely if your armies are four times larger than your target's current armies. Maybe the Italian king didn't have access to much?

edit: Huh. Fascinating. That seems poorly considered. There are three monthly events that can be triggered when an invasion is being prepared: 15 weight for a small force, 15 weight for a significant force, and 2 weight for a hero and his retinue, plus an additional 15 weight for no event. There's additional weighting factors within the events, making them more likely if you have high diplomacy or martial skill, if you have a thousand prestige, or less likely if you have low prestige or low skill, or are not at least a duke.

But all of the events share the exact same weighting, which means their probability relative to one another can never change. A super-diplomatic, prestigious, military genius is more likely to get some troops coming as opposed to none, but is not more likely to get 'a hero and his retinue' as opposed to a small force, which seems a bit disappointing.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 23, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

A super-diplomatic prestigious military genius shouldn't need any heroes or their retinues :colbert:

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

This is the luckiest I've ever gotten in Ironman

:gizz:

I just hope it sticks

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

LemonAIDS posted:

I just hope it sticks

I saw the matrilineal marriage without noticing which character you were and was like "uh, I've got bad news..." But that's awesome, congratulations! Just hope that he doesn't die!

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

LemonAIDS posted:

I just hope it sticks

On my game for the Caliph strikes back I foolishly declared a subjugation war on some blobbing Sunni in Morocco who had taken over much of Africa and some of Mali. On the very first engagement of like 200 v 200 guys, I captured him and became the 2nd most powerful Muslim ruler. Then my intrigue 4 Caliph got the Spy On event to kidnap Seljuk making for an easy faction demand. I went from a mildly powerful Emir to basically winning on the spot in a month.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
So in a fit of insanity, over the past month or so I've been plodding away every so often at a mod that adds in the Orlanthi from King of Dragon Pass / Glorantha into vanilla CK2. I haven't gotten very far into adding all the traits/events/decisions I planned into the mod, but most of the graphics are done for the moment (the only one I'm iffy on is the Ernaldan/Earth icons, because the icon is a bit thin):

Mechanically, the Theyalan (lightbringer) religions are similar to Hinduism in that they don't have heresies (each religion represents what their tribe's "main" god of worship is) and can raid heathens, but each character has a patron deity that vary much more than the hindu sects do in vanilla. Some of these patrons, like Eurmal (tricksters) or Humakt (death-worshipping paladins), disbar the character from inheritance or forbid marriage, and so are more useful to have as courtiers.

Right now my plan is to just stick some Orlanthi into Iceland at the 768 start, since those characters aren't historical anyways. After adding in all the traits and events, I'm going to try and mod in an alternate tribal government type for Orlanthi pagans that tries to mimic the clan–> tribe–> kingdom tiers in KoDP, where all randomly generated characters share your dynasty (clan) and you're fixed into tanistry at the count (clan) level and can only have elective / tanistry at higher tiers. I'm not going to do something so insane as a full conversion mod for CK2, at least not by myself.

(Oh, and I haven't forgotten about my Manicheanism mod. It's just kind of blooming out of control in scope as well.)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Spiderfist Island posted:

So in a fit of insanity, over the past month or so I've been plodding away every so often at a mod that adds in the Orlanthi from King of Dragon Pass / Glorantha into vanilla CK2.
Have you added the option to take legal action against ghost characters yet.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

You stop getting troops entirely if your armies are four times larger than your target's current armies. Maybe the Italian king didn't have access to much?

I had ~5k available inculding mercs and he had ~4.5k iirc, I had more but very slightly and certainly nowhere near 4x. I was not a duke however so maybe that's what did me in.
Either way seems like a pretty massive nerf from what it used to be.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

TheBlackRoija posted:

I had ~5k available inculding mercs and he had ~4.5k iirc, I had more but very slightly and certainly nowhere near 4x. I was not a duke however so maybe that's what did me in.
Either way seems like a pretty massive nerf from what it used to be.
Not being a duke just slows it down by 25%, shouldn't result in getting no troops.

Not sure what to tell you, really, but it sounds like something went wrong.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

So in a fit of insanity, over the past month or so I've been plodding away every so often at a mod that adds in the Orlanthi from King of Dragon Pass / Glorantha into vanilla CK2. I haven't gotten very far into adding all the traits/events/decisions I planned into the mod, but most of the graphics are done for the moment (the only one I'm iffy on is the Ernaldan/Earth icons, because the icon is a bit thin):

Mechanically, the Theyalan (lightbringer) religions are similar to Hinduism in that they don't have heresies (each religion represents what their tribe's "main" god of worship is) and can raid heathens, but each character has a patron deity that vary much more than the hindu sects do in vanilla. Some of these patrons, like Eurmal (tricksters) or Humakt (death-worshipping paladins), disbar the character from inheritance or forbid marriage, and so are more useful to have as courtiers.

Right now my plan is to just stick some Orlanthi into Iceland at the 768 start, since those characters aren't historical anyways. After adding in all the traits and events, I'm going to try and mod in an alternate tribal government type for Orlanthi pagans that tries to mimic the clan–> tribe–> kingdom tiers in KoDP, where all randomly generated characters share your dynasty (clan) and you're fixed into tanistry at the count (clan) level and can only have elective / tanistry at higher tiers. I'm not going to do something so insane as a full conversion mod for CK2, at least not by myself.

(Oh, and I haven't forgotten about my Manicheanism mod. It's just kind of blooming out of control in scope as well.)

Ooh, this is very nice. But shouldn't darkfriend/argarn argari be one of them? After all, an entire tribe (the Torkani) were worshipers of troll gods alongside Orlanthi ones in Sartar alone, with worship of him being even more common down in Esrolia.

Edit: Also, being a humakti does not bar you from marriage. The divide between those who think it is wrong for those to have children and those who think it is fine is purely that of opinion and is best represented by the ability to gain the celibate trait.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 24, 2015

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nice - I've wanted to do a KoDP mod for ages but don't know enough about either the setting or CK2 modding to really get anywhere, so it's cool to see someone else give it a go.

One concept I had which I think would work now would be to have the game generate the gods as special immortal unlanded characters with decisions tied to them to represent sacrificing for blessings - it would probably require some fancy reworking of the religion screen, but it would be a cool mechanic and be a good way of representing how they commune with the gods directly.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just now really cracking into horse lords as that Mongol count at the CM start, and what's the deal with a minimum of 90% of manpower used in order to use the invasion CB? I don't like that at all.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Doesn't that CB reflect an armed migration? You need people to migrate.

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010
The manpower isn't used, just needed. You can declare as many simultaneous invasions as you want once you have the required manpower.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bamford Brownstone posted:

The manpower isn't used, just needed. You can declare as many simultaneous invasions as you want once you have the required manpower.

All I know is 40 years in I've never once met the requirements to invade, but I have over 2k prestige, so I could declare 4 invasions right now if I had any other form of government, since they only require 500 prestige. The prestige requirement as a nomad is only 100, which is cool, but with the manpower thing it's like "ok, well I guess I'll just do a county conquest then" since I can't invade.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Doesn't that CB reflect an armed migration? You need people to migrate.
I figured the 90% of max manpower requirement was to reflect that it's basically lebensraum; your tribe is too large for its current grazing-land, so you have to expand into other people's pastures. Kinda wish something similar was available for more settled rulers, where you can invade any county with fewer than max holdings or something.

ETA: Also, I think but haven't tested yet that you can game that manpower requirement by giving counties away to vassal khans to reduce your personal available manpower, until you can invade everybody between you and the Baltic.

ETA2: VV Confirmed, though it took a moment for the game to recognize that my max pop had dropped.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 24, 2015

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bear in mind you can give away territory to other clans if you want to meet the invasion requirements. It only counts your own clan's land, not the whole khanate.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Getting a little bored of Europe. I hope a game like this comes out with a Civ-style map randomizer. That's a pretty rational feature, I think.

With Total War style active battles :shepface:

And the game pays you for playing :shepicide:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Bear in mind you can give away territory to other clans if you want to meet the invasion requirements. It only counts your own clan's land, not the whole khanate.

Oh nice. I've got like 20 personally owned counties and there's only one other clan that controls a duchy, so that might be part of the problem. I've been waiting for another minor clan revolt thing to surrender to because I haven't seen any way to grant random couriers land, and it seems dumb to have one vassal that's super duke big.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

IIRC, right click on your character portrait and look for a button that says Split Clan. That allows you to create a new clan and give away territory.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

FutonForensic posted:

Getting a little bored of Europe. I hope a game like this comes out with a Civ-style map randomizer. That's a pretty rational feature, I think.

You'd love it till the first time or 10 you end up with nothing but islands.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Some of you may be interested in MP. Some of you may be interested in LPs. Porque no los dos.

We're planning another Multiplayer Lets Play game in the CK2 Multiplayer thread.

Currently planning to play as France from 1066 and thinking of starting in the second week of October.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Are republics broken? Twice I've formed them now since I started playing again, and it said I had no heir even though I had sons. Game over when I died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
You can designate an heir. Make sure you've done so?

• Locked thread