Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

EccoRaven posted:

Generally I try to keep alignment-changes some variation of:
- In addition to your original win condition (e.g. someone becomes an original-alignment survivor);
- One that is not inherently exclusive to your original condition (e.g. a vanilla town becoming an SK);
- A result of the player's actions in-game;
- Can "wear off" after a time or event (e.g. a player dying returns to their original alignment);
- If recruited, severely limited in focus (e.g., recruitments on power roles are just a normal nightkill, certain vanillas are protected, etc.)

I know many people take a hard-line stance against alignment-changers and it's very understandable why. But if there is a way to "do" them that most people can enjoy, I would like to figure it out.

What have been your experiences with alignment-changers?!

My only experience with alignment-changers has been the traditional set-up, which I loathe. Though I haven't' seen it implemented, I have always wanted to see a "Suicide Cult" style role converter, where targets retain their original alignment but die if the recruiter or an unaffiliated third party is killed.

Of course, the town might be tempted to reveal the cult leader to remove the third party early on. I haven't figured out how to remove that risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I have some role ideas that I think are cool but I'm probably never going to get around to running a game. It's too drat time consuming to do it right, you know?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

I have some role ideas that I think are cool but I'm probably never going to get around to running a game. It's too drat time consuming to do it right, you know?

You should co-mod with someone then.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Asiina posted:

You should co-mod with someone then.

Seems like back in the day every game had at least two mods, why did this change?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Look Under The Rock posted:

Seems like back in the day every game had at least two mods, why did this change?

I would assume it had some correlation with the destruction of the big game queue.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Reading old games, I assumed this was so people could share the burden of manual vote tracking responsibilities pre-votefinder?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kashuno posted:

This came up in a recent game, and I'm kinda curious about the thought behind it as no one seemed to feel it was weird but me. What is the point of claiming, but not full claiming, in some contexts? We had a player claim they knew, undoubtedly, that a player was scum but they would not reveal their actual role. Claiming you know someone will for sure flip scum seems like a great way to get yourself targeted for the NK, so why not fullclaim then and there?

Expanding from this when claiming why are not allowed to explicitly copy paste our mod given role? Everyone just types it or says it directly enough even when para-phrasing.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Expanding from this when claiming why are not allowed to explicitly copy paste our mod given role? Everyone just types it or says it directly enough even when para-phrasing.

It's thoroughly unfun and frustrating to argue against flavor or details of your role PM. In one of the first games I played on SA two masons considered themselves confirmed town because they shared details about their role PMs simultaneously over AIM (this was a long time ago) and shouted down anyone who questioned it. Surprise surprise, the mod gave the scum vanilla town role PMs and scum got a complete free pass off of that with no town counterplay possible.

In both of my games I've always written out full fakeclaim fake role PMs for any non-town players to avoid this beyond the no copying + pasting role PM rule.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I'd be interested to see a mechanic based on petitioning gods, who would be players outside of the game with boons to grant and alignments/win conditions but no knowledge of who has which role and no ability to post within the thread. They can only influence the outcome of the game by privately granting boons that they are asked for publicly; for instance, one god might get to decide what the order of operations for night actions will be, one might grant a one-shot ability to beg a boon privately instead of needing to ask it in thread, one might give a token that empowers or complicates existing role abilities.

Any thoughts on this?

Something similar was done in Chili's Hunger Games Mafia. The game began with vanilla players but spectators could grant roles and abilities to players by donating to charity. The game played out very nicely and it raised a good amount of money.

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

:hfive:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

QuoProQuid posted:

Something similar was done in Chili's Hunger Games Mafia. The game began with vanilla players but spectators could grant roles and abilities to players by donating to charity. The game played out very nicely and it raised a good amount of money.

:hfive:

I was debating running another one of these, but I really do need a book keeper/master of coin type of person.

We raised something like a thousand dollars for charity last time. If anyone would be so bold as to volunteer for such a role I would happily donate 50 bucks to the charity of their choosing.

Edit; poo poo now I really want to run this thing again and am going to be begin writing some stuff. Someone volunteer yo! I'm a swell guy to chat with.

Chili fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 26, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Podima posted:

Reading old games, I assumed this was so people could share the burden of manual vote tracking responsibilities pre-votefinder?

I think it also had something to do with having someone available at all hours to make mod announcements (e.g. "shut the gently caress up, the hammer is down") when players and mods were in very different timezones. People are better at policing themselves these days, or at least listening to very simple instructions.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Chili posted:

I was debating running another one of these, but I really do need a book keeper/master of coin type of person.

We raised something like a thousand dollars for charity last time. If anyone would be so bold as to volunteer for such a role I would happily donate 50 bucks to the charity of their choosing.

Edit; poo poo now I really want to run this thing again and am going to be begin writing some stuff. Someone volunteer yo! I'm a swell guy to chat with.

its Chili!!! If you run any games I'm down to join.

Also guys my game is "full" but if you want to participate its just sort of a running participation sort of Mystery game so just catch yourself up and hang out

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Chili posted:

What does a master of coin need? A PayPal account and a good sense of organization?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Ernie. posted:

What does a master of coin need? A PayPal account and a good sense of organization?

Mostly the latter.

It's pretty straightforward, but yeah there's a fair bit to keep track of.

You wouldn't actually handle any money. Donations are tracked by people forwarding along receipts, people can donate to any charity they like. Once a person shows proof of donation they earn that many dollars to spend in the item shop.

Where it all gets tricky is that people make requests for items to be delivered at strategic times. Honestly, I just need coverage, another person to keep an eye out and someone else to get receipts forwarded to them so there's no confusion. I'd also really like for someone else to set up the spread sheet to optimize it for efficiency cause I doubt I'm very good at that.

Savvy?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

EccoRaven posted:

Meanwhile, anarchy and jailbreak has led to A Charnel in Charnaz. Will you help fight the chaos and return the land to peace? Newer players super encouraged to sign up!

The Charnel has been cleared with a cleansing fire (scum victory). Congrats to the winners!

I am definitely opening a thread on Monday so get hype.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'd be interested to see a mechanic based on petitioning gods, who would be players outside of the game with boons to grant and alignments/win conditions but no knowledge of who has which role and no ability to post within the thread. They can only influence the outcome of the game by privately granting boons that they are asked for publicly; for instance, one god might get to decide what the order of operations for night actions will be, one might grant a one-shot ability to beg a boon privately instead of needing to ask it in thread, one might give a token that empowers or complicates existing role abilities.

Any thoughts on this?

On a phone but I was in a busb/highwire ultima themed game w something like this

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Chili, can you presign me for this please? I was always bummed I joined after the last one was finished.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Rarity posted:

Chili, can you presign me for this please? I was always bummed I joined after the last one was finished.

same

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Chili posted:

Mostly the latter.

It's pretty straightforward, but yeah there's a fair bit to keep track of.

You wouldn't actually handle any money. Donations are tracked by people forwarding along receipts, people can donate to any charity they like. Once a person shows proof of donation they earn that many dollars to spend in the item shop.

Where it all gets tricky is that people make requests for items to be delivered at strategic times. Honestly, I just need coverage, another person to keep an eye out and someone else to get receipts forwarded to them so there's no confusion. I'd also really like for someone else to set up the spread sheet to optimize it for efficiency cause I doubt I'm very good at that.

Savvy?

Savvy. I'll keep my phone notifications on for however long the game takes.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Awesome. Looks like I got myself a copilot! Game will be for thirteen people and I'll get it off the ground as soon as possible. Everyone, spectators and players alike will have the opportunity to donate/attain powers.

I'll also need three judges, probably the most fun role. Your job as judge is simple, you wait until there's a full player list and then you write a small tidbit on each players survivability in the games and assign them a score 1-12.

If you judge, you can also donate and spectate with everyone else. Judges spots go fast, if you're interested, do not post, please pm me. Judges identities are anonymous for the duration of the game.

If you want to play or judge, shoot me a pm!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Would anyone be interested in examining a setup for World of Warcraft mafia?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Hm, well I've had 3 folks sign up to be judges (if you're one of them, you got the spot), but no one else sign to play. May not be able to pull this off.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
People typically sign up once there's a thread - I know when I read your post yesterday, I only saw the bit about signing up to judge and not to play. Maybe that's what's happening?

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
I need to PM you to sign up for the game???

should probably make a thread for it cause I've never had to PM someone to sign up

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

He pierced the tendons of both feet behind from heel to ankle,
And through them threaded ox-hide thongs,
Tying them to his chariot,
Leaving the corpse’s head to trail along the ground.

Then lifting the glorious armour aboard,
He mounted and touched the horses with his whip,
And they eagerly leapt forward.
Dragged behind, Hector’s corpse raised a cloud of dust,
While his outspread hair flowed, black, on either side.

That head, once so fine,
Trailed in the dirt,
Now Zeus allowed his enemies to mutilate his corpse
On his own native soil.

SOLDIERS OF THE WASTELAND: THE TROJAN WAR

hosted by busb and Highwire

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
What Homer said ^

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

A question: How much of a time commitment is it to run a game? If a moderator has already assembled relevant role flavor, flip templates, and other relevant documents, it shouldn't take much time, right?

A second question: If/when I find the time to run a game (and I would like to run a standard game before this even), I would like to mod a game of Mutually Assured Destruction. I've been thinking about it for sometime. Though I have a rough set-up in an Excel document that I would rather not share, the basic details would be as follows:

- Sixteen (16) player game;
- All players have at least one dayvig;
- All dayvigs are processed on a time delay of twenty-four hours, during which time the deadline is pushed back and the game continues normally, giving players the opportunity to retaliate;
- There is a hidden ceiling on how many dayvigs can be used during the game. If this number is surpassed, the game enters "nuclear winter" in which all players lose;
- Possibly some sort of ceiling on how many vigs a single player can use at a time. Without some sort of restriction, I foresee a scum player punching the big red button the moment he realizes he is about to be lynched.

Is there any interest for such a game?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Actually running a game shouldn't take much time at all, really. However long it takes you to build it, then putting the thread together and getting the PMs out should be the longest parts. Nights should take you like 10 minutes to process unless you're running a CYOR or something

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That sounds like an amazingly fun mafialike.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It depends on how much flavour you write. I find writing flavour to be the most time consuming process, but I like to write complex night action flavour that goes along with the story of the game from the point of view of the person doing the action. Like I've had trackers who have been repeatedly roleblocked slowly go insane over not being able to figure out why their equipment isn't working, flavourcops have vague visions that give them their information, scum teams all go somewhere together and then diverge to do their tasks before meeting up again. Then the day flavour will match the actions of the night flavour without giving away what actually happened. I really enjoy doing this, but it can be time consuming and creatively taxing since you can't really plan it in advance if you want it to follow the game, so I find that takes a lot of effort once the game gets going. If you just resolve actions as "success" or "so and so is town" and then flips are some jerk, jerk-aligned jerk was lynched D1 then obviously that only takes a couple of seconds.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Since my F11 ended so quickly, I'm sure there is room for another small newbie friendly game. I don't really have the time to run another one right now (I probably shouldn't have done that one, so it's a blessing it ended in record time), but the only two games in signups right now are Lumpen's Slack game which is experimental and the giant soldiers game, so I'm sure there's interest for something more standard.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Asiina posted:

Since my F11 ended so quickly, I'm sure there is room for another small newbie friendly game. I don't really have the time to run another one right now (I probably shouldn't have done that one, so it's a blessing it ended in record time), but the only two games in signups right now are Lumpen's Slack game which is experimental and the giant soldiers game, so I'm sure there's interest for something more standard.

I'd be down for it.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I'll make a small newbie game. Unless Ecco's game is planning on being that? Ecco how many players is your game?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I would play another small newbie game.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

BottleKnight posted:

I'll make a small newbie game. Unless Ecco's game is planning on being that? Ecco how many players is your game?

it was gonna be a 50 players soldiers game if busb hadn't finally gotten his up

:vapes:

it'll be a 15 player game, "newbie friendly"

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Mine is a similar player count so I'll wait till I'm fully ready. Gnomefia 2: coming soon.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Podima posted:

I would play another small newbie game.

Sameeeeeeee

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

All of you should join Ecco's game tomorrow for sure! Glad you guys have stuck around.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Mafia is addictive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I've only been lurking mafia games since like...... since I registered so I guess it's about time!!! plus sirsam would be disappointed and he's a cool dude.

Will look at eccogame tomorrow!