Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Is http://cdda-trunk.estilofusion.com out of date or not updating anymore? I'm looking at it now, it claims Light Survivor Suit should have Bash 20 and Cut 36, but the latest experimental build (3720) has Light Survivor Suit at 11/19 even after reinforcing.

Also I can't figure out the version number they claim to be working off of, 0.C-6309-g227b754. The experimentals are still down in the 3700s, and I tried finding a matching commit, but https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/commits/g227b754 gives a 404. I can use the same trick to find the current experimental's commit, https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/commits/aab4b7c. I'm not seeing any date on the page or in the HTML source either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It has less to do with your treads and more to do with the stuff on the front of your vehicle. Try to yoink some armor plating from a wrecked armored car, humvee, or APC.
I have that. It still accumulates damage, it's just damage to the armor most of the time. That's not really much better.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Seriously, gently caress shrubs.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/commit/a379b9f3ea14d437aadab29ed6a8ab2a1b501fc0

So helmet netting has no more storage. What exactly is the point of helmet netting now? I guess it still gives a tiny amount of bash/cut protection on the head/strapped layer, but the real reason for helmet netting was to get storage space. :sigh:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

buttcoinbrony posted:

Is http://cdda-trunk.estilofusion.com out of date or not updating anymore? I'm looking at it now, it claims Light Survivor Suit should have Bash 20 and Cut 36, but the latest experimental build (3720) has Light Survivor Suit at 11/19 even after reinforcing.

Also I can't figure out the version number they claim to be working off of, 0.C-6309-g227b754. The experimentals are still down in the 3700s, and I tried finding a matching commit, but https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/commits/g227b754 gives a 404. I can use the same trick to find the current experimental's commit, https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/commits/aab4b7c. I'm not seeing any date on the page or in the HTML source either.

It looks like CDDA calculates armor values based on the armor's materials and thickness rather than hardcoding them, but the site is still using the formula from 2014 rather than a more recent one. So apparently estilofusion.com has been wrong for a very long time, but you're somehow the first one to notice.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

buttcoinbrony posted:

https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/commit/a379b9f3ea14d437aadab29ed6a8ab2a1b501fc0

So helmet netting has no more storage. What exactly is the point of helmet netting now? I guess it still gives a tiny amount of bash/cut protection on the head/strapped layer, but the real reason for helmet netting was to get storage space. :sigh:

Yeah I don't know what kind of game balance kevingranade is after. It's especially odd because in the middle of arguing for zero storage at https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/13589 he gives a pretty good argument ("a cigarette pack or so") for keeping a couple storage per.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I'd like it if some items worked like holsters but you could stick other poo poo in them, like maybe you could stick a flashlight or a cig pack or something in your helmet netting that way.

Or a vest that activates all explosives you store in it when you die :jihad:

I wanna make a Rick scenario that starts you out randomly with a scientist outfit, a hipflask, alcohol addiction and rickdiculous intelligence.

Oh man, theres- theres zombies Morty! I really messed up this time *uurrrp* Morty.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 24, 2015

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

palamedes posted:

Yeah I don't know what kind of game balance kevingranade is after.

I'd be surprised if even he knew that, or how balance actually works.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

I don't even know why you would try to balance a roguelike, like have you played any of them

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean Crawl tries to be balanced but being a game with many varied strategies/starts obviously some are easier than others, and that's on purpose. There shouldn't be things in RPG games that are so absurdly good that you want to do them no matter what kind of character you have, but that doesn't mean easy options can't exist too.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

I mean Crawl tries to be balanced but being a game with many varied strategies/starts obviously some are easier than others, and that's on purpose. There shouldn't be things in RPG games that are so absurdly good that you want to do them no matter what kind of character you have, but that doesn't mean easy options can't exist too.

That's kinda related to my Light/(Medium)/Heavy Survivor Suit thing above. The estilofusion version of all 3 actually had a bit of thought involved, I could go lower encumbrance for most of the protection or go higher encumbrance for all of it. But with the way its actually laid out in game, I'm gonna end up doing the same old heavy suit/helmet/mask/boots with light gloves for archery thing I did last time.

E: I saw Crawl mentioned above, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is a pretty drat good game in that vein, plus you can play online via web browser so you don't even have to install to give it a shot or five.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 24, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Larry Parrish posted:

There shouldn't be things in RPG games that are so absurdly good that you want to do them no matter what kind of character you have

That's not necessarily true, as long as they're relatively simple/available and don't lock you out of other options. Teleportation scrolls in crawl are good for everyone except characters that literally can't use them (formicids), but they're fairly common and carrying them doesn't prevent you from using other scrolls or otherwise limit your options.

Likewise, flashlights are good for every character in CDDA. They're less of a "build option" and more of a milestone, since every character will eventually get one (or die) and they open up new possisbilities.

On the other hand, diamond katanas and the Book of Five Rings are less cool. Using that means you aren't using any other melee weapons or martial arts styles, so there's less variety in late-game characters in CDDA. Anyone who has the RNG luck to find the book should be using a katana, no questions asked.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

On the other hand, diamond katanas and the Book of Five Rings are less cool. Using that means you aren't using any other melee weapons or martial arts styles, so there's less variety in late-game characters in CDDA. Anyone who has the RNG luck to find the book should be using a katana, no questions asked.

Not necessarily true, a survivor machete or Muay Thai with unarmed skill 2+ have the advantage of quicker attacks with built in stuns. I'd prefer either one against a hulk or multiple brutes. Endgame melee could stand to be as diverse as endgame ranged but Five Rings katana isn't the flat-out best. It's just the most hilariously damaging.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what's new with C:DDA

In the last 6 months I mean, I'm not really good at parsing the master list.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 25, 2015

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Turtlicious posted:

https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/commits/master :grin:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Turtlicious posted:

In the last 6 months I mean, I'm not really good at parsing the master list.

New feature: Going deaf from loud noises.
Second new feature: Buildings being smashed by zombie brutes are loud as gently caress, so you will be permanently deaf inside of cities.

That'll probably get rebalanced, hopefully soon.

Oh yeah, and they added zombie upgrading. Now as lots of time passes zombies have a chance to change themselves into something better (like what zombie masters do). So if you wander into a new town 1 year into a game it'll actually be a potential threat instead of a sea of pathetic chumps.

I think there are now zombie grenadiers inside of labs which can throw explosive manhacks at you.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So how do you recruit NPC's off of a bulletin board after you send them there? Because I see no option to get them to follow me.

Actually, for that matter, how finished is the NPC stuff in relation to bulletin boards? Looks like someone on the forums was working on getting a working player faction going recently.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
There should be a sanity check for the physics based on relative weight. If you're a big heavy truck, shrubs shouldn't be that big of an issue. Likewise, a tank should just crunch a lot of things. Also, it should work for low speeds, so rather than repeated ramming a bush if you hit one at a slow speed it'd just get crunched under your tires/treads.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
It's actually kind of intriguing that collisions work the way they do in Cataclysm; the system makes a great deal of fuss and noise about aerodynamics, mass, and drag in vehicles, but seems to focus primarily on speed in dealing with impacts, using health of the affected parts as a shorthand for their mass and durability. It also seems like you could clearly delineate parts that are floor-level, wall-level, or roof-level, categorically, but seems to show little or no preference for damaging lower parts first when you, say, run over a bush, which would at least help alleviate some of the headache of smashed headlights, cameras, windshields, and solar panels.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

If you meet a certain level of road clearance you should be able to go over shrubs / zombies / smaller vehicles with most parts save your tires.

Also hitting shrubs and vegetation with certain parts shouldn't be a problem, like your wheels probably won't be hurt by shrubs but you still can't run over trees without a loving steamroller wheel.

Also farms need to spawn combine harvesters so I can cover my vehicles in rotary blades.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 25, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Pop Tarts, music, vibrators and cocaine: the secret to a happy life :v:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Jesus christ, how many poptarts do you have to eat for that morale bonus?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I know there's already way too much mostly-pointless simulationist junk in this game but it would be funny if you got medical problems from only eating hideous non-foods. I always make my characters junk food intolerant just because I bizarrely care more about my imaginary zombie punching person having a good diet than forcing them to do all sorts of other awful things :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You do! You have a higher chance of getting colds/flu when you're eating more junk food than good food. However because of the environmental protection of masks once you're wearing one you can never catch it. :v:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The invisible "health" stat does a little more than that. It also increases the speed at which you regenerate HP, and if your health is completely in the shitter you might not regenerate at all. But you're not very likely to get to that point since it slowly moves back towards "normal".

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Not only that but if you really want to be sure about your junk food diet and even possibly end up net-positive on health you can just make sure to eat a handful of gummy bear vitamins every day. Diabetes? What's that?

Galm
Oct 31, 2009
Health? You mean you don't save yourself from near death by slapping a bunch of torn up clothes onto your skin?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

There should be a sanity check for the physics based on relative weight. If you're a big heavy truck, shrubs shouldn't be that big of an issue. Likewise, a tank should just crunch a lot of things. Also, it should work for low speeds, so rather than repeated ramming a bush if you hit one at a slow speed it'd just get crunched under your tires/treads.
From looking at the code, there is - kinda. The overall damage of the collision is divided up between the two sides, starting at 50% each, with a material factor based on density and a mass factor, each of which can shift it up to 25%.

However, the distribution is capped at 90/10.

I'm also unfortunately not good enough at reading code to figure out what mass/density/etc are used for shrubs.

edit: Okay, it's based on the bashing max_str of the terrain (whatever that normally refers to), which for shrubs is apparently 60. The effective mass of the object for the collision is 10 + (the max str minus 30), minimum 10, so it's 40. The effective density is 10 + max_str * 70/300, or 24.

(I'm not reading that wrong, am I? The actual line is

code:
part_dens = 10 + int(float(g->m.bash_strength( p, bash_floor ) ) / 300 * 70)
which I assume would make it divide before multiplying, and be equivalent to my paraphrase)

Mass for the vehicle side appears to be the total mass of the vehicle, which should be much greater than 40 for any case we care about - just having a passenger apparently adds 81.5. Density depends on the component materials of the part in question, and ranges from...huh. That seems a bit odd. Part density appears to be calculated by taking the average of the densities of the materials the part is defined to use. Military composite armor is defined to be made of hard steel and ceramic, which have densities of 40 and 8 respectively, so the effective density of military composite armor also appears to be 24, the same as a shrub. Hard plating is made from hard steel and "null," which has a density of 1, which would make its effective density only 20.5, less than that of a shrub.

That being so, if that is so, the material factor will be something along the lines of (24 - 20.5)*.5 ~= 2, and the weight factor will be -25 * (1 - log(40)/log(>>40)) which is hell not actually simple. drat. Since it uses logs, even if your truck weighs ten thousand times as much, this term doesn't actually vanish or anything. Let's call it around -15, -20, something like that. Making the damage distribution not even anywhere close to the cap. The k factor is just 50 + material factor + weight factor, which is here optimistically around 32.

That density thing is crazy. I wonder if I'm interpreting it wrong. Trees have a str_max of 180, which would give them a density of 52, more than twice that of military composite armor.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 25, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
"Military composite armour takes damage from shrubs because it's half steel and half toilet" is somehow one of the less insane things I've seen come out of this game.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Jesus christ, how many poptarts do you have to eat for that morale bonus?

Like, four... if you have Gourmand :haw: I also combined plain and strawberry poptarts since different foods all contribute separate morale bonuses. I've been hoarding drugs, booze, and junk food, and I'm thinking I should be able to clear 1000 morale with a little fiddling around.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
What about hard plating being half steel and half nothing?

I mean, it'll take damage regardless, this just jiggles the numbers a little. But it's still odd.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 25, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Some of the one-material objects in the game have the second material as "null", and some just don't have a second material defined at all. It's weirdly inconsistent.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Like, four... if you have Gourmand :haw: I also combined plain and strawberry poptarts since different foods all contribute separate morale bonuses. I've been hoarding drugs, booze, and junk food, and I'm thinking I should be able to clear 1000 morale with a little fiddling around.

One way to insanely boost Morale is to hoard twenty different kinds of booze and have the Blood Filter bionic. Get krunk on whisky, activate filter, take half a dozen shots of vodka, activate filter, guzzle a bottle of cabernet sauvignon, activate filter...

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

The Lone Badger posted:

One way to insanely boost Morale is to hoard twenty different kinds of booze and have the Blood Filter bionic. Get krunk on whisky, activate filter, take half a dozen shots of vodka, activate filter, guzzle a bottle of cabernet sauvignon, activate filter...

Best combined with the ethanol reactor.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I never get much use out of the ethanol reactors, battery systems, metabolic interchanges, etc. I always find a joint torsion ratchet or solar panel CBM before I really have a way to spend a ton of power, and when you have one or both of those you pretty much have no reason to use the other power CBMs. Actually, solar panels seem pretty slow and acceptable, but joint torsion ratchets seem really OP in terms of effort in to power out.

Internal furnace is pretty cool, though. You can chop down and eat a tree for thousands of points of bionic power.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Punch ATM. Meet robot. Punch robot. Eat robot. 12k energy.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

silentsnack posted:

Punch ATM. Meet robot. Punch robot. Eat robot. 12k energy.

I love this game.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
metabolic interchange is clearly the best power one, but battery is fine to start with for a lot of professions.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The battery one would feel less useless if you could drain the batteries of vehicles.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Anticheese posted:

The battery one would feel less useless if you could drain the batteries of vehicles.

Am I wrong, or does it also give you a really pitiful return of something around 5-20 power for every 100 batteries? It should at least be a one-to-one ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Am I wrong, or does it also give you a really pitiful return of something around 5-20 power for every 100 batteries? It should at least be a one-to-one ratio.

About that, yeah.