Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

My Man Shran posted:

You should probably check alignment if you're digging up that much paper fiber.

...or stop writing on kindergarten handwriting-practice paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Speaking of paper, amazon has HP 32lb laser paper for $10.50 a ream for prime members. It's like a thicker, ever-so-slightly less smooth Rhodia.

Edit: Isellpens (pbuh) has an active 10% off everything coupon code ("FPN") in addition to closing out his stock of Sheaffer products and most paper. He's still in the process of closing out his Noodler's stock, it seems, making this a great time to get that $9 bottle of Noodler's Whatever you've always wanted.

Rudeboy Detective fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 24, 2015

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

atholbrose posted:

...or stop writing on kindergarten handwriting-practice paper.

I think that's what happened, I normally use Rhodia or Clairefontaine but I think I probably wrote on it in a research notebook (one of those carbon-copy thin-paper ones).

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I saw this thread and went "Who cares about pens, I'm perfectly happy with my Sharpie pen."

Read the OP and now I'm just waiting for my Friday paycheck. :fap:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I also discovered you can clean a pilot metro by cutting part of the end off a disposable pipette (like they use in chemistry class), it'll fit right in there.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

PRADA SLUT posted:

I also discovered you can clean a pilot metro by cutting part of the end off a disposable pipette (like they use in chemistry class), it'll fit right in there.

Bulb syringes, the kind you use to get mucous out of an infants nose, work awesome. One of the cool things about Metro's is that the nib and feed just slide right out, making cleaning the whole thing a breeze and eliminated the need for some sort of creative forced water solution.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

Bulb syringes, the kind you use to get mucous out of an infants nose, work awesome. One of the cool things about Metro's is that the nib and feed just slide right out, making cleaning the whole thing a breeze and eliminated the need for some sort of creative forced water solution.

excretiating. :holy:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

NeurosisHead posted:

Thank you for this post, it came in useful when my pilot metro did not suck up any ink when trying to refill the converter:

Not sure if I should complain to the seller or try something else. The pen itself was a dream to write with but I have so many other pens I want to try out... And the inks (not pictured)

Don't send help, send me a pen.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
That is a standard international converter. Pilot only uses a proprietary converter size. They're smaller than a standard international, which is probably why you bought that.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

That is a standard international converter. Pilot only uses a proprietary converter size. They're smaller than a standard international, which is probably why you bought that.

That is weird, I am certain I paid for a pilot converter. Let's check the order history...

No, paid for a standard one. Which didnt fit well when I put it in, glad I didnt gently caress up the pen.

"Ask me about fountain pens: The answer is always to get a pilot metro (which uses a proprietary cartridge and converter)"

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Keetron posted:

Not sure if I should complain to the seller or try something else. The pen itself was a dream to write with but I have so many other pens I want to try out... And the inks (not pictured)

Don't send help, send me a pen.

There's no such thing as too much pens and inks

The Wolfen
Apr 12, 2007
Wanted Ghost Coon. Cannot be treed or trapped. Reward Ghost Coon Skin Cap!
Fun Shoe
Finally pulled the trigger and bought a Pilot Metro for myself the other day. Seeing all these collections of pens makes me not feel so bad about already wanting to pick up a second (and possibly a third) so I can have one for a blue-black, one for a standard black, and one for fun experimental colors at all times.

Also it's amazing how many compliments I've gotten about a $15 pen. I can't imagine what would happen if I manage to ever convince myself to get a Lamy 2000.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Show and tell is a dangerous game in this thread.

I wish I had a pretty box like that to put all my snorkels in. :saddowns:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

My Man Shran posted:

Show and tell is a dangerous game in this thread.

I wish I had a pretty box like that to put all my snorkels in. :saddowns:

My girlfriend surprised me with it one day, I was infinitely pleased. Then her kitten cracked the glass in the lid. God drat cats, man.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Wolfen posted:

So I can have one for a blue-black, one for a standard black, and one for fun experimental colors at all times.

Then you're going to be, "I need one pen for reds, one for blues, one for greens..."

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
The european version of the Metro, the Pilot MR, does take int. standard converters and cartridges.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

pienipple posted:

The european version of the Metro, the Pilot MR, does take int. standard converters and cartridges.

It does, but he said Metro not MR. Judging by the capillary stem on the back of that feed it might be an MR though, in which case there's something other than "the wrong converter" at play in it not drawing ink.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

NeurosisHead posted:

It does, but he said Metro not MR. Judging by the capillary stem on the back of that feed it might be an MR though, in which case there's something other than "the wrong converter" at play in it not drawing ink.

The one in the picture is definitely an MR. (Source: I own both a Metro and an MR and I've cleaned them several time so I can tell the difference between feeds.)

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

NeurosisHead posted:

The cracked nipple on the converter probably isn't helping. Even just being out of round tends to cause issues — a split like that'll probably prevent it from making vacuum enough to pull up ink.

Probably would work if you put the converter alone in a bottle, but then it'd just leak ink into the barrel instead. Probably — I don't know offhand exactly how the feed fits into the c/c.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Zenostein posted:

The cracked nipple on the converter probably isn't helping. Even just being out of round tends to cause issues — a split like that'll probably prevent it from making vacuum enough to pull up ink.

Probably would work if you put the converter alone in a bottle, but then it'd just leak ink into the barrel instead. Probably — I don't know offhand exactly how the feed fits into the c/c.

I didn't even see the crack, good catch. New standard int'l converters are like $5; while it's a third of the cost of the pen it's a pretty minimal cost in the grand scheme of things.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

You can get a perfectly good S.I. converter for less than 5$. The only problem is that it will just happen to come with a Chinese pen.

Behemuff
Sep 23, 2010

but the eyes - never!
How on earth do you use Pilot's proprietary cartridges! I'm probably being stupid, but I just exploded one all over myself trying to put one into my new Pilot Metro.... :(
I don't normally use cartridges, but when I have before they have been the international standard short ones, not this weird long thing with a lip. Sadly the pen didn't come with a convertor?!
These things...

I'm not sure I love this Metro btw.... Maybe it's just the cartridge issue, but it feels quite....light and plasticky? Definitely compared to my recent Monteverde and old Parker. I suppose it has quite a smooth nib for a cheap(ish) pen. Still, all of your praise feels like a eulogy to me, thread :colbert:

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I totally agree with you! My $12 metro definitely feels like a cheaper pen than my PFM.

The metro should have come with a perfectly serviceable "cleaning" converter. What exactly were you doing to explode a cartridge?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Behemuff posted:

How on earth do you use Pilot's proprietary cartridges! I'm probably being stupid, but I just exploded one all over myself trying to put one into my new Pilot Metro.... :(
I don't normally use cartridges, but when I have before they have been the international standard short ones, not this weird long thing with a lip. Sadly the pen didn't come with a convertor?!
These things...

I'm not sure I love this Metro btw.... Maybe it's just the cartridge issue, but it feels quite....light and plasticky? Definitely compared to my recent Monteverde and old Parker. I suppose it has quite a smooth nib for a cheap(ish) pen. Still, all of your praise feels like a eulogy to me, thread :colbert:

Wide end goes towards nip, not narrow end.

Behemuff
Sep 23, 2010

but the eyes - never!
It didn't have a converter at all! I assume that perhaps it should have though? I got it from Cult Pens (UK).

Yeah, I guessed it was fat end first, but the nipple on the pen doesn't seem to want to break the plastic of the cartridge :( The standard cartridges that I've used just popped onto the pen nipple very easily and stayed attached.
I was pushing pretty hard and the sidewall popped haha. Blue ink pretty much everywhere :downs:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Behemuff posted:

It didn't have a converter at all! I assume that perhaps it should have though? I got it from Cult Pens (UK).

Yeah, I guessed it was fat end first, but the nipple on the pen doesn't seem to want to break the plastic of the cartridge :( The standard cartridges that I've used just popped onto the pen nipple very easily and stayed attached.
I was pushing pretty hard and the sidewall popped haha. Blue ink pretty much everywhere :downs:

Pilot cartridges have a small disk in the throat as a stopper. It doesn't break, the post on the pen just rotates it in place and that allows ink to flow. It feels quite different compared to cartridges from other companies/standards. If the cartridge is fully seated in the pen it's properly installed.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Behemuff posted:

If you bought the pen from a UK retailer then it is almost assuredly a Pilot MR, not a metropolitan. I actually just checked Cult Pen's inventory and they only carry the MR.

The MR only takes S.I. cartridges/converters. Just to make sure, when you reference trying standard cartridges, you mean on a different pen, right?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

grack posted:

Pilot cartridges have a small disk in the throat as a stopper. It doesn't break, the post on the pen just rotates it in place and that allows ink to flow. It feels quite different compared to cartridges from other companies/standards. If the cartridge is fully seated in the pen it's properly installed.

you can also refill the cartridges. After gently squeezing the plastic disc out I use a chopstick or something long and cylindrical and push it in over the ink I would put in with a syringe.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

It gets really strange here, I bought it as a Pilot MR Metropolitain and the site indeed says I need a standard international converter meaning that the pilot converter I ordered yesterday will be around unused for now. However, when I wanted to put in the converter I had (the pelican one, they cost a like 2,95 I had to push really hard, unreal hard to the point where I was wondering what was going to break first. Well, the converter did luckily because it is still a :20bucks: pen.
Now I got myself quite a few chinese pens with converters so I can take one from that and see if it works, the pilot converter will be here in a few days and I could even use some of the SI cartridges I have. But still, why all that strength needed?

This is the site btw:
http://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webstore/main/pilot-metropolitan-silver-python-fountain-p-5811.html

You guys should check out the prices on the Diamine inks just to make you jealous I only pay $5 shipping per order and free over 40.

edit: I received a FPR pen and it is the worst made pen I have and the worst spend money.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 26, 2015

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Keetron posted:

It gets really strange here, I bought it as a Pilot MR Metropolitain and the site indeed says I need a standard international converter meaning that the pilot converter I ordered yesterday will be around unused for now. However, when I wanted to put in the converter I had (the pelican one, they cost a like 2,95 I had to push really hard, unreal hard to the point where I was wondering what was going to break first. Well, the converter did luckily because it is still a :20bucks: pen.
Now I got myself quite a few chinese pens with converters so I can take one from that and see if it works, the pilot converter will be here in a few days and I could even use some of the SI cartridges I have. But still, why all that strength needed?

This is the site btw:
http://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webstore/main/pilot-metropolitan-silver-python-fountain-p-5811.html

You guys should check out the prices on the Diamine inks just to make you jealous I only pay $5 shipping per order and free over 40.

edit: I received a FPR pen and it is the worst made pen I have and the worst spend money.

Which FPR pen?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

Which FPR pen?

Dilli, it was a deal of the day a while back and I was under the impression I would receive three so I figured it would not hurt to get three pens for very little money.

http://www.fountainpenrevolution.com/fpr_collection.html#dilli

Disclaimer, I did not write with it but the look and feel are super cheap as well as the finish. I like smooth, well rounded stuff and this pen just breaths "cheap". For full price plus shipping there are many, many better looking and feeling pens for much less.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Well, I pulled the moths form my wallet and picked up a new re-fill for my Namiki/Pilot Vanishing Point. It wasn't cheap - a good proportion of the cost of the pen - but it's so much better than the old (dropped, bent) nib that I was struggling with. It's a medium, as the broad I'd dropped was too thick, and now it writes very well. I'm using a refilled cartridge, with some nice Japanese ink, and it's back to being my favourite pen again. (Nib turned out to be black, rather than gold or chrome, but whatever.)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

No dickbutt, voted 1

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Soricidus posted:

No dickbutt, voted 1

TWSBI Vac 580, broad nib, Parker Quink red, Conquerer office stationary paper.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Thank you

I think I'm going to get a vanishing point soon, they look pretty sweet

e: how much do they rely on being the right way up to not leak?

Soricidus fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 29, 2015

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Soricidus posted:

Thank you

I think I'm going to get a vanishing point soon, they look pretty sweet

e: how much do they rely on being the right way up to not leak?

You're welcome! I like my VP - it's been reliable, although it's heavy - that might have contributed to the fact that I've dropped it and bent the nib twice (and never dropped another pen.) And in my experience, it doesn't leak, nib up or down. The clip is set up so that it's nib up if you use it, but I drop it nib down into my trouser pocket all the time, and I've never had a leak. There's actually a little retractable cover for the nib when it's back in the body of the pen, so that it's not exposed to air/doesn't dry up.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Teach posted:

TWSBI Vac 580, broad nib, Parker Quink red, Conquerer office stationary paper.

That is a pretty good dickbutt.

In other news, the new Lamy Safari that was send had the same issue that when she would keep it in her schoolbag for a day, the cap would be filled with ink. Either she is extremely rough with it or those pens cannot handle being upside down or something. I will give her a jinhao 599 and see if that has the same issues or try a different brand. She wants to write with a fountain pen so she will, dammit!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Keetron posted:

In other news, the new Lamy Safari that was send had the same issue that when she would keep it in her schoolbag for a day, the cap would be filled with ink. Either she is extremely rough with it or those pens cannot handle being upside down or something. I will give her a jinhao 599 and see if that has the same issues or try a different brand. She wants to write with a fountain pen so she will, dammit!

I think abused/old Lamy Safaris can have their in-grip feed fill up like a cheap rollerball pen and start to drip. Maybe flushing and completely drying out the pen could help, or try yet another one to be sure?

note: Pelikan anything will never, ever drip unless you have a habit of mounting pens in centrifuges.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Keetron posted:

Try the Jinhao 800. They look pretty classy, and have a hooded nib.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Teach posted:

You're welcome! I like my VP - it's been reliable, although it's heavy - that might have contributed to the fact that I've dropped it and bent the nib twice (and never dropped another pen.) And in my experience, it doesn't leak, nib up or down. The clip is set up so that it's nib up if you use it, but I drop it nib down into my trouser pocket all the time, and I've never had a leak. There's actually a little retractable cover for the nib when it's back in the body of the pen, so that it's not exposed to air/doesn't dry up.

yeah the trap door is pretty good at sealing so you can bring it on an airplane and not have it leak (due to pressure changes during flight) from what I hear. It's a good writer and I use a stub at work. Smooth nib too. Only have used M and stub. Hear the EF and F are pretty good as well.