Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm disappointed; I can't find the NT News saying anything amusing about the recent spill motion. Five PMs in five years and the :allears: greatest :allears: newspaper has nothing snide to say? Come on, guys.
Once the spill started, on their Twitter:

The front page the next day:

EDIT: Beaten :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
what is a spill in this context

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

theflyingorc posted:

A boring, legal, political version of a coup within a party basically. Liberal agreed to sack Tony and bring in "Rich Dude".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WebDog posted:

The NT news did do this:

I feel the :classiclol: of the bottom half, is tempered by the :stonk: of the top half.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

theflyingorc posted:

In Australia you don't vote for your PM, you vote for a representative in your area. The party that is able to get enough seats to hold the votes is the one that forms government. Quite often this involves dealing with 3rd parties (or cross benchers). The party that forms government elects a leader internally who becomes PM.

Internal machinations of late have meant that we're now on our 5th prime minister in 5 years. Kevin Rudd was well liked by the people but loathed internally, Julia Gillard was slaughtered in the press because Rupert Murdoch has a boner for right wing men rather than capable women and so she got replaced before an election with Kevin Rudd again but too late.

Then we got the onion eater (Tony Abbott, look it up. Raw onion, skin and all) who, will not loving a dead pig yet, managed to let his own hard right ideology get in the way of looking like an idiot 24 / 7. For 2 years he promised great things and spectacularly managed to choose the thing that most Australians find abhorrent, daft, pointless, damaging or all of the above. Abbott survived one spill 6 odd months ago ~60/40 to literally no one. 40 people in his own team would rather have had no one in charge (not quite how it works but still) than have him.

After making himself look worse at every step the hard right in the party decided they'd make the socially liberal, fiscally conservative guy eat a bunch of crow on everything he stood for and most of what the people liked him for they knifed the onion eater and put Turnbull in charge.

tl:dr The spill in this case is when there is a contest for leadership in the party that controls the government at that point in time, which happens to get us a new prime minister fairly frequently these days.

ninja edit: That smarmy grin for an avatar some kind soul bought me is our current pm.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Birb Katter posted:

In Australia you don't vote for your PM, you vote for a representative in your area. The party that is able to get enough seats to hold the votes is the one that forms government. Quite often this involves dealing with 3rd parties (or cross benchers). The party that forms government elects a leader internally who becomes PM.

Internal machinations of late have meant that we're now on our 5th prime minister in 5 years. Kevin Rudd was well liked by the people but loathed internally, Julia Gillard was slaughtered in the press because Rupert Murdoch has a boner for right wing men rather than capable women and so she got replaced before an election with Kevin Rudd again but too late.

Then we got the onion eater (Tony Abbott, look it up. Raw onion, skin and all) who, will not loving a dead pig yet, managed to let his own hard right ideology get in the way of looking like an idiot 24 / 7. For 2 years he promised great things and spectacularly managed to choose the thing that most Australians find abhorrent, daft, pointless, damaging or all of the above. Abbott survived one spill 6 odd months ago ~60/40 to literally no one. 40 people in his own team would rather have had no one in charge (not quite how it works but still) than have him.

After making himself look worse at every step the hard right in the party decided they'd make the socially liberal, fiscally conservative guy eat a bunch of crow on everything he stood for and most of what the people liked him for they knifed the onion eater and put Turnbull in charge.

tl:dr The spill in this case is when there is a contest for leadership in the party that controls the government at that point in time, which happens to get us a new prime minister fairly frequently these days.

ninja edit: That smarmy grin for an avatar some kind soul bought me is our current pm.
Now explain Mitsubishi Diamond Days.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Wouldn't there still be George and Charlotte?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Baron von Eevl posted:

Wouldn't there still be George and Charlotte?

Yes but I think it's safe to say that he was too crazy to remember that, if he ever knew it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Meerkat-keeper guilty of assaulting monkey-keeper over love triangle with llama-keeper

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Sep 25, 2015

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

So much drama in zoos.

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.
Man shot in the groin for bag of chips

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
Once you get popped the fun does stop :(

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

This reads like one of those sentences constructed specifically to illustrate points about grammar like "eats shoots and leaves" or "the strippers JFK and Stalin".

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 02:28 on Sep 27, 2015

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

This reads like something out of the Ankh-Morpork Times.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Screaming Idiot posted:

This reads like something out of the Ankh-Morpork Times.

This is probably stretching the topic a bit but everyone needs to see it

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I take back everything I've ever said about vine. :allears:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

PYF Strange News and Headlines - The Cheese of Truth

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

PYF Strange News and Headlines - The Cheese of Truth

It goes great with the ham of truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Ka2nkIi2I

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Throw both of them in UCB'S Bucket of Truth and you have a Dennys breakfast

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.
White man trying to buy gun shoots self in penis — blames it on a black guy

What is it with guys being shot in the dick this month?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AlphaKretin posted:

This reads like one of those sentences constructed specifically to illustrate points about grammar like "eats shoots and leaves" or "the strippers JFK and Stalin".

It’s a garden path sentence.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

This is a lovely loving phone pic that I'm ashamed of but it caught me off guard because I was too busy laughing at the headline before it*.

"Prime Mimimster"

*"Ex-PM Abbot says he could have won the next election, yeah, sure. :rolleyes:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sailor DID NOT use raccoon to bypass breathalyzer[

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

I don't think so. There's no change in meaning anywhere, the subject is just not the expected one.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Dylan16807 posted:

I don't think so. There's no change in meaning anywhere, the subject is just not the expected one.

also known as "a joke"

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Woman Fulfills Lifelong Wish of Becoming Blind

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

quote:

she decided to blind herself - by having a sympathetic psychologist pour drain cleaner into her eyes.

gently caress

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Only in nc

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
How is that legal, not malpractice, etc

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

blugu64 posted:

How is that legal, not malpractice, etc

It's most definitely not, and it most certainly is.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage
It's like a surgeon curing cancer by just killing the patient.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

I'd like to think if there's a god, this is how he's keeping idiots from reproducing

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

CJacobs posted:

It's most definitely not, and it most certainly is.
It's also most certainly not true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If she really wanted to be blind why not just wear a blindfold 24/7? :confused: