Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Because Atlantis putting his mask on the line is their biggest draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
They've mortgaged their future for short-term gain. Building for the future vs. profiting here and now is always a complex calculus in wrestling, and it's not necessarily a bad decision if they can get a few more huge gates out of Atlantis's mask, but after Rush vs. Atlantis hair vs. mask, which I assume will be next year's Aniversario main event, there's not really another strong hair or mask to go against him. At the same time it's not like Sombra is the only guy they have who could be a future masked técnico Ace for them - Titán, Dragon Lee, Máscara Dorada all have potential, although Sombra was wayyy farther along than all of them and thus the closest thing to a can't-miss prospect. This is what years of apathetic booking have wrought.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 21, 2015

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yeah, Dave was saying that they were desperate for a main even that would draw. Apparently the original plan was UG vs Thunder, which :lol:

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I mean I'm sure Sombra will do just fine but I'm with Dave in the sense that with the mask he's like an El Santo with the suit where he looks like a total badass. Like I said I'm sure Sombra will still be able to carry himself as a superstar, it's just a bummer since it's obviously only for something in the short-term.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

I mean I'm sure Sombra will do just fine but I'm with Dave in the sense that with the mask he's like an El Santo with the suit where he looks like a total badass. Like I said I'm sure Sombra will still be able to carry himself as a superstar, it's just a bummer since it's obviously only for something in the short-term.

Yeah Dave said the same thing. He looked fantastic and bad rear end with the mask and even without it, he still has a good look...It's just not the same. I thought the show overall was great. That said, I've never been a fan of mortgaging the future for a short term game like that so it just came off as poor to me.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
Yeah I think he had maybe the coolest looking mask in current CMLL and the dynamic of him and Rush with one masked and one unmasked guy was cool too.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I just posted this in the MOTYC thread, but here's a pretty fun CMLL match from July: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d50FXqyrF0s.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

LOS INGOBERNABLES shirts are now for sale at Masked Republic and they look pretty drat cool for wrestling t-shirts.

You can even get a Nai[h]to one. Unfortunately the best design for the individual guys is Sombra's and it's now out of date.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I think they look awful and I wish they would just sell the original design.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nice

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

booyaka booyaka

t-shirt time

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Spermgod posted:

They've mortgaged their future for short-term gain. Building for the future vs. profiting here and now is always a complex calculus in wrestling, and it's not necessarily a bad decision if they can get a few more huge gates out of Atlantis's mask, but after Rush vs. Atlantis hair vs. mask, which I assume will be next year's Aniversario main event, there's not really another strong hair or mask to go against him. At the same time it's not like Sombra is the only guy they have who could be a future masked técnico Ace for them - Titán, Dragon Lee, Máscara Dorada all have potential, although Sombra was wayyy farther along than all of them and thus the closest thing to a can't-miss prospect. This is what years of apathetic booking have wrought.

Sombra without the mask is still charismatic and enjoyable. He can still draw for the promotion.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

coconono posted:

Sombra without the mask is still charismatic and enjoyable. He can still draw for the promotion.

Yea, but now you'll never have another match with his mask on the line.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

Yea, but now you'll never have another match with his mask on the line.

True the obvious route is out. But with some actual booking, you can get a high profile, high stakes match going having to resort to masks.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Plus you can still put his hair on the line.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Drop the La from Sombra and claim it's a new character so he gets to put his mask back on.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Drop the La from Sombra and claim it's a new character so he gets to put his mask back on.

Le Sombra, he carries a baguette to the ring

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Not a bad idea, La Parka used to be Principe Island, lost his hood, then got re-gimmicked.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
la sombra is super handsome imo

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

coconono posted:

True the obvious route is out. But with some actual booking
yeah, uh, that's gonna be a problem in cmll

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Reminder that this is on in 5 hours and streaming live on http://clarosports.com

Looks like a pretty good card, looking forward the minis and obviously the main event especially.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Spermgod posted:

Reminder that this is on in 5 hours and streaming live on http://clarosports.com

Looks like a pretty good card, looking forward the minis and obviously the main event especially.

Volador looks like the Winter Soldier holy poo poo. This looks like a really great card and I hope it will be uploaded by Cubsfan or someone else. Also umm.. is Mark Jindrak mostly a trios guy at this point?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
aaand we're live http://www.clarosports.com/en-vivo/

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Konnan told me to eat a dick over twitter. I'm international now.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I'm the guy going neck-deep in a torta when the camera zooms in on me

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
That minis match was super fun. Shockercito and Demus have great chemistry.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Spermgod posted:

That minis match was super fun. Shockercito and Demus have great chemistry.

Yeah they were amazing together. Not as amazing as the crowd cam, but, hey. And Ultimo Dragoncito is rad, hot drat.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

Konnan told me to eat a dick over twitter. I'm international now.

I'll bite, was it regarding MSL?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Three for three in good matches tonight

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Spermgod posted:

Three for three in good matches tonight

Yeah, hope this show gets uploaded because it's good as hell so far

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Thunder replaced in this match! I don't want to jinx it but this show may be blessed.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
That dive train 💯

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Spermgod posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=177
Thunder replaced in this match! I don't want to jinx it but this show may be blessed.

yeah I'm starting to get nervous.

And also I take it that Thunder never managed to move like he belonged anywhere near a lucha ring.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Guess I made it for the semi main

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
That was a fantastic performance from Sombra

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
WHY

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
LAME but at least it was an entertaining gently caress finish

even if most of my entertainment was "why are they taking off his pants"

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I can understand not wanting to give that match away, but they could've given us a little more than that. Reminds me of RAW in the 90s when they'd claim they were going to give you PPV main event for free and it would go 30 seconds before a run in DQ. At least it was still a really good show overall.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Spermgod posted:

I can understand not wanting to give that match away, but they could've given us a little more than that. Reminds me of RAW in the 90s when they'd claim they were going to give you PPV main event for free and it would go 30 seconds before a run in DQ. At least it was still a really good show overall.

yeah I mean this was really drat good overall and even the lovely gently caress finish on the main was well done as far as "lovely gently caress finishes" go. I love that the entire first fall goes by without the entrance gear having a chance to come off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
cubsfan thinks they might have made the call to go home early after seeing Rush cut open since the CMLL office doesn't like having blood. Which raises the question of why they would cut to an extended shot showing the huge gash in his shoulder, but that's CMLLogic for ya I guess