Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

kdrudy posted:

Well, they jumped the shark real fast here.

Eh, lets be real. That shark was jumped when they greenlit this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Please tell me that was a wrecked 2008 Nissan Versa in Noah's old parking space... :allears:

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

So he's more Daredevil than Batman. And he's Tubman too.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

So they're going to give everyone powers probably.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I didn't hate it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
You know. This actually wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be. Video game sections are the dumbest parts and even that I can deal with that.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I didn't hate it.

Same.

I came in expecting the worst. It's a lot more toned down and less stylistic than the old show.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
I think it went alot better than I feared.

It has the multiple moving pieces all coming together for a moment of destiny feel that the original season one did. I like the Pennyman. I like Luchabatman. I like bringing Molly back.

Yeah, as everyone has said, the video game thing is really left field and strange, but a handful of things about it keep me from completely writing it off.

1. Not sure but that looked like it could be future Tokyo.
2. She appeared to be controlling her music with powers when he first entered so her powers might be akin to Micah, only instead of being able remotely override and control tech she can actually possess it (and somehow the sword unlocked her limiters and allowed her to enter tech physically as well as mentally.)
3. The fact that she was able to travel through the video game world and exit in a different real life location that corresponds to it. It reminds me of King/Straub's The Talisman or The Faerie world in The Dresden Files. Anything that reminds me of either of those gets some points in my head :p

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

If this show can somehow salvage Mohinder then I'll fully allow myself to open up to it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When she pulled that sword and went into the video game I said Holy poo poo but I could not bring myself to dislike it.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.
I wanted to dislike this because I was a Heroes truther during the original run (I defended plot points no sane man should ever defend) and I didn't want to be burned like I was so many times before. Then they go and throw in Molly Walker back into it. drat this series for being my taste kryptonite.

Some quick thoughts:

-Some of the special effects (flying chinese guy and hair spray fire in particular) were looking pretty rough.
-They seriously brought back the Haitian just to kill him?
-I'm surprised they were able to sneak in yet another Isaac reference in the scene with the mom trying to enter Canada. If he drew a comic about how this was all going to happen I quit.
-I cannot believe that I got excited for a Mohinder voiceover. What is wrong with me?

Illuen fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 25, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Halfway trough the first episode (dang west coast) and I like it but I'm scared to love again.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Halfway trough the first episode (dang west coast) and I like it but I'm scared to love again.

Enjoy the payoff for the Japanese storyline in the first episode.

Other than that, I liked what I saw enough to keep watching. Noah and his sidekick's story was the strongest.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I'm also halfway through and strangely enjoying this. Is it just me? Am I broken and dumb?

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
I felt it was pretty middling. It was having a rough time getting going because it jumped around to too many characters without effectively establishing what it is I should give a poo poo about.

Levi and lady seem like super stupid characters that point out that the scope of the show is hosed up and inconsistent. So, there are so few Evos that these two idiots believe they can travel around and kill all of them? Yet we get a character set in Japan to remind us this is a global phenomenon that is not exactly new.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Neon Knight posted:

I felt it was pretty middling. It was having a rough time getting going because it jumped around to too many characters without effectively establishing what it is I should give a poo poo about.

Levi and lady seem like super stupid characters that point out that the scope of the show is hosed up and inconsistent. So, there are so few Evos that these two idiots believe they can travel around and kill all of them? Yet we get a character set in Japan to remind us this is a global phenomenon that is not exactly new.

Making those two seems like big threats right away killing that first group was probably a mistake. They shouldn't be a big threat, just a deadly nuisance.

The Japan stuff was strange, the power there doesn't make much sense and story there made even less sense. I get it was there to be more lighthearted and fun like i the original first season, but it seemed silly.

Overall I'm interested to see more, but I'm not confident yet it's not going to go completely off the rails.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Illuen posted:

-They seriously brought back the Haitian just to kill him?

Just like Adam Monroe.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
This honestly feels exactly like the old show with mostly new characters.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I've only watched the first two seasons as they aired; after forty minutes I don't see why NBC brought this show back and not Law and Order.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The problem with the Japan segments is that I don't see any way they can be integrated with the rest of the show. The tone is completely different and the video game power is gimmicky. It just feels like a separate story, whereas everything else at least feels like it can connect.

Molly got an upgrade though :heysexy:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I guess Tim Kring and crew didn't learn anything in the intervening years since Heroes ended and this show got rebooted.

Because drat if the show was just cryptic as hell most of the time for 90 minutes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sober posted:

I guess Tim Kring and crew didn't learn anything in the intervening years since Heroes ended and this show got rebooted.

Because drat if the show was just cryptic as hell most of the time for 90 minutes.

So was True Detective, but it was all planned out in advance. Since this is 1-off I'm sure they wrote the entire series in advance and workshopped it to perfection.

Right?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rarity posted:

The problem with the Japan segments is that I don't see any way they can be integrated with the rest of the show. The tone is completely different and the video game power is gimmicky. It just feels like a separate story, whereas everything else at least feels like it can connect.

The only way I can see it tying in is if there's time-travel going on and her father is Hiro or Ando.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Did anyone else check the screen from Primatech to see if they recognized any names? I saw Micah on there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Neon Knight posted:

Having to shoot out the lights to notice the big, obvious wall length observation window doesn't do a lot to make them look competent either.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Rarity posted:

Molly got an upgrade though :heysexy:

Oh, is THAT who the blond girl at the end with the Aurora Borealis was?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

No, she was the one with the telekinetic and his girlfriend. After she wakes up handcuffed the guy picks up his phone and says "We have Molly Walker."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

DrBouvenstein posted:

No.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It was alright apart from the really embarrassing video game stuff, maybe a little bit dry and corny (I can't believe they busted out a "we all wear masks" line), but it was decently entertaining for what will amount to a short season. It was definitely on par with season 1 Heroes which means it still isn't great, but very watchable in that airport pageturner kind of way.

How many episodes is it supposed to be?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I quite liked those 2 episodes but we'll see how things go.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Aphrodite posted:

No, she was the one with the telekinetic and his girlfriend. After she wakes up handcuffed the guy picks up his phone and says "We have Molly Walker."

Oh...I was distracted by my dog and GF at the very end of the episode, must have missed that part. :saddowns:

One thing I didn't understand was what was going on at Primatech.

When they first went there, it felt like it was 100% abandoned. But then we see there are still people working there...uhhh, ok? How did they get there? Is there some super-secret underground parking garage? Do they not have ANY security measures whatsoever that let them know someone is snooping around in the upper level? Or that a couple of people are shooting guns ONE loving HALLWAY OVER?!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well I would think if they did have security Noah Bennett is one of the people on the pass list.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Beside the video game parts, the show was fine. It's too easy to hop on the hate bandwagon based on old memories, but the show wasn't a shitstorm.

Glad they kept the guy from the shorts. I like him and Bennet together.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
While the videogame part was the dumbest for some reason I really enjoyed it. I have no idea why.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I think they are telegraphing video game girl being Hiro's daughter pretty hard. When she came out of the game into the real world from the tower where her father was held, she was at Yamagato Industries which was Hiro's dad's company. Plus that is his sword. So she is probably Sylar and Tommy is actually Peter petrelli.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I knew that conspiracy guy looked familiar!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Neon Knight posted:

I think that's actually the only reason it seems to work at all so far. As soon as they focus on anything it'll go downhill really fast.

Bruceski posted:

The only way I can see it tying in is if there's time-travel going on and her father is Hiro or Ando.
As soon as we found out the Japanese girl had to rescue her father, my first thought was "Well, that'll be Hiro or Ando." It's so obvious that it would actually be a shocking twist if it doesn't turn out that way.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Do I need to watch the 6 part mini series or can I skip that?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Those episodes were actually just fine. The Pennyman is kinda creepy, kinda cool. Feels like he should have been played by Ricky Jay, RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Glad to see Zachary levi getting some work. He was pretty good in Chuck.

• Locked thread