Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mycot posted:

How does not copying what's popular make it more forced?

It's not that, it's just that the show has yet to really develop any sense of identity. It tries to be wacky with a bunch of bears and some other occasional talking animals doing nonsense on a backdrop of a normal world, it also tries to be deep with a few emotional episodes here and there dealing with the various issues the different bears face.

In practice, it just ends up being largely dull with three caricatures that you know extremely well already (outgoing leader, wimpy geek, and the quiet, competent guy) that you could just replace with three humans and get essentially the same show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The only episode that was emotional so far (not counting the recent one since I haven't gotten a chance to see it) was Burrito, other than that, there really hasn't been many emotional ones.

I guess you could count My Clique though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

raditts posted:

Yeah, it looks like what a parody of Scooby Doo would look like on some other, better cartoon.
I miss Mystery Inc, if only came out a little bit later, it would probably be as well regarded as stuff like Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, Regular Show, etc. :smith:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like We Bare Bears is just a bunch of twee millenial stuff. All the hip, cool stuff that the kids young adults are doing these days, and no real depth or character of its own so far.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I don't think it's a bad show or anything but it also hasn't impressed me at all. In an odd way It kind of feels like Ed Edd and Eddy filtered through a marketing department.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

mycot posted:

How does not copying what's popular make it more forced?

Mostly what everyone else said, it doesn't have a focus and what little I've seen several times over at this point haven't shown me WBB's true colors yet. It could get there and hopefully it will sometime soon depending on if they want to finally show more new episodes. But until then, its a okay show surrounded by giants. Weak by comparison.

And speaking of weak shows, holy hell am I lost in what the crap is going on in Robots in Disguise. Dead air shows never have it good and that usually means anything transformers on CN.

achillesforever6 posted:

I miss Mystery Inc, if only came out a little bit later, it would probably be as well regarded as stuff like Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, Regular Show, etc. :smith:

It's easier to think that its sacrifice was necessary so focused themes could come to pass and have the fair chance to compete without being poo poo on to have more room for Johnny Test. At least I hope there could be some reason in why Mystery Inc was murdered.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Sep 26, 2015

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Do you guys work for AVclub?

quote:

Kevin Johnson of The A.V. Club gave "Everyday Bears" a B. He thought the show was charming enough to enjoy, but not "must-watch". He praised the voice actors, but was disappointed that the show didn't thoroughly explore the discrimination humans have towards the bears and ended by calling it a "very good 'just okay' kind of show" until the discrimination is explored.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why are AV Club adults giving serious reviews to children's cartoons?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jack Gladney posted:

Their demographic wants it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Jack Gladney posted:

It's not a children's cartoon, Dad, it's ANIME.

e. But seriously, mostly I'm just tired of everyone wanting everything to be a knock off of Steven Universe in order to be good. That AV club review was pretty much the only thing I could think of when this conversation started.

mycot fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 26, 2015

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

Do you guys work for AVclub?

Man, that is also really dumb. Like I have no problem with it just being a silly little cartoon and I don't think it needs to be that deep. I don't think the show needs more depth I just think it's a little too low key to be all that interesting. Nothing about it grabs me and will make me go out of my way to any degree to watch it. It's just sort of good at somethings and not offensive in any way but also not terribly remarkable. I guess I sort of want the opposite of what the AV club dude wants in that I just want it to be a little more out there or just a little more funny. Hell, I didn't even think the random emotional punch in a burrito episode even worked very well.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Jack Gladney posted:

Because if they don't, we will end up with children's cartoons that are all garbage? And everybody deserves better than that, even children!

And thanks/sorry to the poster below.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 26, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

X_Toad posted:

Because then you end up with children's cartoons that are all garbage?

If the reviews are creating bad cartoons they should stop then. :colbert:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think it works quite well because it's low-key. A lot of it's competitors feature deep emotional scenes or fantastic settings, while WBB is just in California (San Fransisco? I can't remember if they've said). I'd say it's most obvious "twin" is Regular Show, a show that also features anthropomorphic animals hanging out inexplicably with humans in a modern setting, although that show veers into the strange constantly and a lot of its humor is based on how its modern setting seems to be some weird time warp where the 80s never really left despite everyone having smartphones. WBB is basically a sitcom, only starring bears. It mines a lot of humor from day to day life, and yes, the concept of giant cartoon bears doing these things. I guess you could argue that it's preying on a young demographic by having the bears watch viral videos and stuff, but I mean, it's made by a young guy basing it on his webcomic, so it doesn't feel disingenuous to me.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Ramos posted:

In practice, it just ends up being largely dull with three caricatures that you know extremely well already (outgoing leader, wimpy geek, and the quiet, competent guy) that you could just replace with three humans and get essentially the same show.
Yeah, but Clarkson and crew already signed on with Amazon.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
http://collider.com/nickelodeon-90s-shows-return-rugrats-hey-arnold-the-splat

I've looked through the last few pages of this thread and didn't see this posted anywhere yet, so forgive me if I've overlooked something:

quote:

Gird your nostalgia loins, folks—90s Nickelodeon is coming back. Our ranking of the 15 best 90s kids game shows earlier today appears to have been a bit prescient, as the network announced this afternoon that a new weekly programming block called “The Splat” on TeenNick will feature reruns of all your favorite 90s Nickelodeon shows, from Rugrats to All That to Legends of the Hidden Temple. It all kicks off on Monday, October 5th at 10pm ET/PT on TeenNick, running until 6am.

But this isn’t just a random series of reruns. Nickelodeon is pulling out all the stops by creating a genuine retro experience, reviving programming stunts like Nick or Treat, U-Pick, and Super Toy Run, as well as the recreation of specific days of programming as they aired in the 90s complete with original promos and interstitials (remember the Doo-wop Dinosaurs?).

An eight-hour rotating TV lineup will air daily on TeenNick from 10pm-6am, and the initial lineup of series includes All That, Angry Beavers, Are You Afraid of the Dark, CatDog, Clarissa Explains It All, Hey Arnold!, Hey Dude, Kenan & Kel, Ren & Stimpy, Legends of the Hidden Temple, Rocko’s Modern Life, Rugrats, Salute Your Shorts and The Wild Thornberrys, with more to come.

I guess in some weird way, Nickelodeon scheduling an overnight block of 1990s Nickelodeon shows kinda makes sense as the next logical evolutionary stage of the old Nick@Nite "here's all the crap you used to watch 20 years ago" block.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

Why not? They're super popular while also being some of the most well crafted media on TV right now. Even WBBs, arguably the weakest of the new crop of cartoons, seems to have way more love and effort put into it than almost anything on NBC/CBS/Etc these days.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

readingatwork posted:

Why not? They're super popular while also being some of the most well crafted media on TV right now. Even WBBs, arguably the weakest of the new crop of cartoons, seems to have way more love and effort put into it than almost anything on NBC/CBS/Etc these days.

It's really silly that it's going "this cartoon for kids is too childish because it doesn't have enough BEAR RACISM."

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I think its good that adults are paying more attention to cartoons now. Animation shouldn't be shackled to only young demographics and "nerds". It is a legitimate form of entertainment that anyone can enjoy. I watch nearly every animated show that I come across, because I am fascinated by animation, so I can relate to the idea of reviewing cartoons, regardless of demographics.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
At an average of 10 minutes an episode, cartoons are clearly the most efficient form of entertainment, and thus superior to all others.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Something can be fun and rewarding to watch without being subjected to same level of scrutiny you'd reserve for an hourlong show. Adventure Time has suffered from all the ponderous thinkpieces lobbed at it by NPR and the Atlantic a few years ago, imo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

esselfortium posted:

I've looked through the last few pages of this thread and didn't see this posted anywhere yet, so forgive me if I've overlooked something:

I guess in some weird way, Nickelodeon scheduling an overnight block of 1990s Nickelodeon shows kinda makes sense as the next logical evolutionary stage of the old Nick@Nite "here's all the crap you used to watch 20 years ago" block.

Where's my 80s night with You Cant Do That On Television and Mr. Wizard? Show the kids poo poo they've REALLY never seen before. David the Gnome dies at the end, you little shits.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's great that there's some deep and emotive cartoons going on right now, but there's nothing wrong with cartoons that are just slapstick or low-key jokes based on the current american society. The immense variety animation can deliver is one of its better aspects.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

mycot posted:

e. But seriously, mostly I'm just tired of everyone wanting everything to be a knock off of Steven Universe in order to be good. That AV club review was pretty much the only thing I could think of when this conversation started.

They're trying to be the next pretentious, twee, TV-snob show in the mold of Adventure Time

Jack Gladney posted:

Something can be fun and rewarding to watch without being subjected to same level of scrutiny you'd reserve for an hourlong show. Adventure Time has suffered from all the ponderous thinkpieces lobbed at it by NPR and the Atlantic a few years ago, imo.

This, but also AT explicitly set out to attract that kind of audience and analysis by constantly throwing them red meat in pretending to be the second coming of david foster wallace and having its head shoved completely up its own rear end, etc etc

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 27, 2015

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

icantfindaname posted:

This, but also AT explicitly set out to attract that kind of audience and analysis by constantly throwing them red meat in pretending to be the second coming of david foster wallace and having its head shoved completely up its own rear end, etc etc

This is only true of the most recent seasons, really. The first few years weren't really trying to be deep as much as they were trying to be funny/entertaining at all costs (and for the most part they succeeded). The more think-y episodes weren't really common until several seasons in and even those were handled fairly well until Pen left the show. At which point the show stopped trying to be "fun" and started trying to be "important", which imo was a mistake since the show's core strength was never in it's ability to be super artistic.

That said, modern AT isn't really a BAD show. I don't really get some of the gate it seems to generate.

EDIT: Also: In the media's defense, if there's one cartoon that warrants that kind of deeper analysis it's AT.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 27, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

readingatwork posted:

This is only true of the most recent seasons, really. The first few years weren't really trying to be deep as much as they were trying to be funny/entertaining at all costs (and for the most part they succeeded). The more think-y episodes weren't really common until several seasons in and even those were handled fairly well until Pen left the show. At which point the show stopped trying to be "fun" and started trying to be "important", which imo was a mistake since the show's core strength was never in it's ability to be super artistic.

That said, modern AT isn't really a BAD show. I don't really get some of the gate it seems to generate.

EDIT: Also: In the media's defense, if there's one cartoon that warrants that kind of deeper analysis it's AT.

Yeah it's not a bad show, and maybe I'm talking more about the show's fanbase than the show itself. But I do think it was always high on its own farts to a degree, at least after the second season or so. Remember we're on season 7 at this point, and seasons 5 and 6 were double length, so it's not like this is some recent development

Jack Gladney posted:

I don't know: they seem to just do whatever weird thing they want. They just go deep metaphor when it's fun for them. Remember that the last two big story arcs they ginned up had really dumb resolutions that came out of nowhere. I think they're familiar enough with weird superfans (because they were weird superfans) to know that they should ignore and humiliate them.

That's literally every single season finale story arc they've had in 7 seasons. And the thing is, they keep doing it. It's like they physically can't restrain themselves from doing the huge narrative buildup only to poo poo themselves, over and over and over and over again. They really need to just focus on individual episodes or episode arcs, that's always where the show's strength was.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 27, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don't know: they seem to just do whatever weird thing they want. They just go deep metaphor when it's fun for them. Remember that the last two big story arcs they ginned up had really dumb resolutions that came out of nowhere. I think they're familiar enough with weird superfans (because they were weird superfans) to know that they should ignore and humiliate them.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

readingatwork posted:

Pen never left and AT is still good, imo. I'd say the main reason why it doesn't get the massive hype it used to get is because of Rebecca Sugar leaving. She provided a lot of the quirky "feelsy" emotional style of writing that made the show explode with the tumblr crowd and when she moved onto her own show that crowd followed her. In her absence, I'd say that AT isn't a worse show, just a way different show that's changed in ways that are really (imo) rewarding but polarizing. I think the main thing that pisses a lot of people off about modern AT compared to SU is how obtuse the show is nowadays.

Steven Universe is really upfront; it wears its heart on its sleeve, is super consistent tonally, and the plot progresses in a really straightforward manner that makes the show conducive to all sorts of tumblr speculation. Adventure Time feels more like a clearinghouse for all sorts of avant-garde ideas rather than a tightly planned story, and as a result the show's themes and plot progression are couched in all sorts of strange metaphors, with actual plot developments being an afterthought to convey those themes. I don't think either approach is better or worse, and I like how AT and SU have a strange yin-yang relationship with each other.

I guess what I'm saying is that I enjoy the average episode of SU more in the moment, but I find myself more interested in AT in the longterm.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

HorseRenoir posted:

Adventure Time feels more like a clearinghouse for all sorts of avant-garde ideas rather than a tightly planned story

this is why I like AT, there's really nothing else quite like it and every episode is like a different show, there is no "average" episode and it really just does whatever the gently caress it wants

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Adventure Time doesn't seem like it was ever really meant to have lore, continuity, and backstory. It just sort of mutated into it over time as things kept building up. At its core, it's supposed to be just a bunch of short, wacky, adventures, not a grand dramatic epic quest. The writers have been using all these tricks to try to downgrade the drama of the narrative even when they have the entire galaxy under threat from the most ancient of evils. People who want to see a dramatic story are bound to be frustrated, because the writers are directly snubbing them.

Of course, nobody's really forcing the writers to grow this big ol' bramble patch of drama, lore, and backstory that they're fighting against. They're just actively writing these overarching stories that they refuse to meaningfully conclude, which is confusing. I prefer the standalone episodes more and more these days.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Adventure Time doesn't seem like it was ever really meant to have lore, continuity, and backstory. It just sort of mutated into it over time as things kept building up. At its core, it's supposed to be just a bunch of short, wacky, adventures, not a grand dramatic epic quest. The writers have been using all these tricks to try to downgrade the drama of the narrative even when they have the entire galaxy under threat from the most ancient of evils. People who want to see a dramatic story are bound to be frustrated, because the writers are directly snubbing them.

Of course, nobody's really forcing the writers to grow this big ol' bramble patch of drama, lore, and backstory that they're fighting against. They're just actively writing these overarching stories that they refuse to meaningfully conclude, which is confusing. I prefer the standalone episodes more and more these days.

Yeah, this was basically my stance. I got annoyed by the show playing at change but always pulling back immediately, and that along with the increasing number of episodes that were just completely opaque and indecipherable made it really hard to stay invested.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

esselfortium posted:

If it means finally being able to pull together the third season of Pete & Pete I'm all for it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Bit of on the ground reporting from MCM ComicCon glasgow, Maile Flanagan (Naruto) stated she auditioned for PPG in her hotel room closet.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

AThey're just actively writing these overarching stories that they refuse to meaningfully conclude, which is confusing.

They also refuse to let the show evolve in any meaningful way. Jakes kids are probably the most egregious example but the one that pissed me off the most was them giving Fin his arm back. It was an awesome chance to explore Fin's character dealing with a dissability that they wasted because they were afraid to keep his character design changed for too long. Which is BS because people would have been stoked to see him running around with a robot arm.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

achillesforever6 posted:

Also, if they put it in prime time instead of burning it off at 2pm weekday afternoons where nobody might accidentally see it. I wouldn't even have known it existed if not for this forum.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

mycot posted:

For whatever it's worth, I feel the same way about Stephen Universe. It's okay, but it's missing something for me that takes it to the point where I would actively want to watch it. At least the bear show has bears, and I like bears.

esselfortium posted:

You mean that "90's are All That" block they had a year or two ago? I'm not sure how this is any different, it looks like they just took the same thing and threw in a few shows they used to have on Nick GAS.

MrAristocrates posted:

Yeah, this was basically my stance. I got annoyed by the show playing at change but always pulling back immediately, and that along with the increasing number of episodes that were just completely opaque and indecipherable made it really hard to stay invested.

Yeah, it seems like a couple of years ago it vanished up its own rear end with all the backstory poo poo, none of which was interesting or fit together at all, and I don't think I've seen any episodes in the last year or so because it just became so difficult to continue giving a poo poo. Seems like CN feels the same way since I don't ever see reruns for it anymore.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 27, 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

achillesforever6 posted:

Would've been great if it got more recognition, but it did get its 52 episodes where it told a full narrative, so I'm calling that a win.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Applewhite posted:

The season finale of Star Vs. The Force of Evil would have been a lot better had it been animated by Mercury Filmworks, rather than Toon City. I could tell there was something epic trying to break out, but it was held back by the low framerate, lackluster effects and poor "acting" (for lack of a better word) from the characters.
The drop in quality between Party Bus and Mewberty was really jarring and something I picked up on right away. I've been consistently disappointed with the second half of the season. If they don't change studios for season 2 (will there even be a season 2?) I don't think I'll be back.

I had such high hopes for this show :(

All the old Star animators were conscripted to help work on the new Lion King show Disney's working on (which visually looks AMAZING, by the way, due to the huge budget and staff.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2toXxKBg-kk

Corek fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 27, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

readingatwork posted:

They also refuse to let the show evolve in any meaningful way. Jakes kids are probably the most egregious example but the one that pissed me off the most was them giving Fin his arm back. It was an awesome chance to explore Fin's character dealing with a dissability that they wasted because they were afraid to keep his character design changed for too long. Which is BS because people would have been stoked to see him running around with a robot arm.

They've been doing this crap since season 3 when they returned PB to being an adult as soon as possible(this episode soured me on Lemongrab for a long time as a result, I eventually came to like him as well, although I still think Too Young is a very mediocre episode) starting a trend of the show crapping on Finn whenever possible(heck I can't even remember the last time Finn won a fight by himself without a Deus Ex Machina being needed)

Also found it ridiculous that when Lemongrab went full North Korea that PB went with such a convoluted plan to defeat him when she could have had Finn kick his rear end, or just have Rattleballs assassinate the jerk(kinda weird that we haven't seen him since despite the end of his episode showing that he works for PB now), cause as seen with how PB handles the Fire Kingdom, it's definitely the sort of thing she'd do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
It's a horrible shame they don't make movies with animation like that re: Lion King clip