Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Anyone running iOS 9.1 beta on their 6S yet? Wondering how it runs. It works ok on my iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Haha, my 6s' touch screen is becoming periodically unresponsive. (I'm obviously going to look into all possible solutions online) but it figures that I would finally buy a phone and have it turn out to be a lemon when I also decide to immediately sell my old phone. Nice going me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

GenericGirlName posted:

Haha, my 6s' touch screen is becoming periodically unresponsive. (I'm obviously going to look into all possible solutions online) but it figures that I would finally buy a phone and have it turn out to be a lemon when I also decide to immediately sell my old phone. Nice going me.

My 5S has had a couple of instances that required a hard reset, it sounds like it's unlikely that it's your phone.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I had a few of the slowdowns and microfreezes before. Weird thing is they seem to be gone now, I wonder if it was indexing or something like that because it has been smooth sailing all day.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

tuyop posted:

My 5S has had a couple of instances that required a hard reset, it sounds like it's unlikely that it's your phone.

Yep! Came back to report that hard resetting it totally solved the problem. I'm a little upset that Lock+Home Button restarting is a different kind of restarting than Lock+Swipe! If I had known that I never would have even made that post since Lock+Swipe was what I tried first. I assumed the two were the same haha.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Riven posted:

And it's happening just when the phone comes on? Because it's supposed to happen the first time you make a purchase after every power cycle, but not just when you turn the phone on.

I had the iTunes login thing happen repeatedly, something like 40-50 times, during the setup wizard after I restored my encrypted iTunes backup. It forced me to restart the fingerprint training like 3 times. This was before I was able to update it to 9.0.1.

Each time I tried my rather long password, it reported a failure. Apparently, my problem was to be fixed by logging out of the App Store and logging back in again.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm here to definitively report for as much as I love this phone, Live Photos are basically dog poo poo. Just such a worthless and not even cool looking feature.
Like, I'm not mad about it or anything, but honestly, this is the first time in a LONG time I've felt like what Apple showed on stage/ on website promos and what exists in reality on my phone was borderline misleading.

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie
Has anyone noticed the drop in battery life? My 6s+ is so much worse than my 6+, both running 9.1. I think it has to do with the Hey Siri always on feature... going to try it with it turned off.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
Yeah, I'm usually guilty of drinking a lot of the Apple kool aid but the Live Photos are a goofy gimmick.

However- 3D Touch was something I didn't care about when they showed it at the keynote and MAN I'm using that a ton! I've barely had this thing 24 hours and it feels like I've used that forever.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Mahoning posted:

Anyone running iOS 9.1 beta on their 6S yet? Wondering how it runs. It works ok on my iPad.

Been running 9.1 since I got the phone. Haven't noticed anything weird yet. I did have to restart my phone earlier today because dictation/voice recognition was being weird. But other than that, everything is smooth.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Hate to tell you all but Live Photos aren't for nerds who stay inside all day. They're for normal people who like to have fun little tricks to do with their phones to entertain themselves or their friends and loved ones. My mother in law thinks Live Photos are just about the greatest thing ever and can't stop taking them.

I'm really beginning to regret telling her about them.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Feenix posted:

I'm here to definitively report for as much as I love this phone, Live Photos are basically dog poo poo. Just such a worthless and not even cool looking feature.
Like, I'm not mad about it or anything, but honestly, this is the first time in a LONG time I've felt like what Apple showed on stage/ on website promos and what exists in reality on my phone was borderline misleading.

Why is it different or misleading? It does exactly what they showed it doing. The quality is identical to what was shown, and duration, sound volume and everything else I can imagine is the same.

Honestly, looking through photos of my kids has been really great as unexpectedly funny or whimsical live photos. It's clearly not for every picture, and there are obviously apps for making .gifs or adding moving elements to still photos. Where this is kind of cool are the unexpected moments. I read an article recently called "why I don't delete any photos anymore" or some such about a guy who, looking back at seemingly bad photos, saw people now passed away. Had he considered the quality of the photo (orientation, lighting, centering etc.) he would have deleted them, and lost those only remaining images forever. Similarly, I can imagine not too long from now, i'll be reading stories of a mom whose kid went into combat and she snapped a photo of him loading up on the bus to head out for service and, in live photo mode, waved and said he loved her. Things like that.

So in short, my view of the function is that it can create interesting planned events, if you set up a shot to be a Live Photo, but it is more interesting in what it unexpectedly captures.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 27, 2015

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

So for anyone who went with the iPhone Upgrade Plan through the store, what was your out the door cost? I've been debating just doing the carrier monthly plan, but the added AppleCare+, if its indeed included in the monthly $45, might be worth going for. What made you choose the Apple plan?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Rage posted:

So for anyone who went with the iPhone Upgrade Plan through the store, what was your out the door cost? I've been debating just doing the carrier monthly plan, but the added AppleCare+, if its indeed included in the monthly $45, might be worth going for. What made you choose the Apple plan?

It will be the cost of one month plus the sales tax for the full price of the phone.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
As a sex haver and house leaver, Live Photos own.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
The most condescending iphone poster. Can you export Live Photos as gifs or does it only exist within APPLE?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Why is it different or misleading? It does exactly what they showed it doing. The quality is identical to what was shown, and duration, sound volume and everything else I can imagine is the same.

Honestly, looking through photos of my kids has been really great as unexpectedly funny or whimsical live photos. It's clearly not for every picture, and there are obviously apps for making .gifs or adding moving elements to still photos. Where this is kind of cool are the unexpected moments. I read an article recently called "why I don't delete any photos anymore" or some such about a guy who, looking back at seemingly bad photos, saw people now passed away. Had he considered the quality of the photo (orientation, lighting, centering etc.) he would have deleted them, and lost those only remaining images forever. Similarly, I can imagine not too long from now, i'll be reading stories of a mom whose kid went into combat and she snapped a photo of him loading up on the bus to head out for service and, in live photo mode, waved and said he loved her. Things like that.

So in short, my view of the function is that it can create interesting planned events, if you set up a shot to be a Live Photo, but it is more interesting in what it unexpectedly captures.

I feel like what I saw with the ripples of water and the little girl, was smooth and really high quality.

What I see when I take one looks more like a low bitrate animated gif.

Like, I'm sure if you go back and analyze what they showed it could probably be explained and an argument could be made for parity. But, really, what we saw back then 2 weeks ago and what my S+ is capturing feel WORLDS different.

I was at a toddler bday party today. I did my best to sit still in really well lit areas and capture stuff. Feels like anything not moving a a slow pace is gonna just show huge gaps in movement. Everything I tested looked jerky and fuzzy and bad.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Well, I feel like it depends on how stable you have the camera during the shots. For the waterfall shot, it's certain that they were using a tripod, but they also show pictures of a little girl and pet that showed the shakiness you get with a handheld photo.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Well, I feel like it depends on how stable you have the camera during the shots. For the waterfall shot, it's certain that they were using a tripod, but they also show pictures of a little girl and pet that showed the shakiness you get with a handheld photo.

The shakiness I am referring to are the giant gaps in movement between frames. Not sure what the pro term is for that. But like let's say you were running down a football field. Instead of being a smooth path of continuously animated motion, you only kinda show up on the 5 yard line then the 30, the 60 and so on.

[Ed] based on some of the replies, in case it's not clear, I'm not hating on Live Photos because they are silly and don't have a point. I'm usually all about silly cool poo poo. I'm just saying the quality is pretty poor.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 27, 2015

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Live photos get my approval for one reason. My friend tried to avoid me taking a picture of him and now I just live photo him trying to clumsily dive for cover.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

I've noticed that in iOS 9 I need to unlock my phone to access any quick action other than quick replying to a text message. For example archiving an email from the lock screen requires me to unlock the phone. I could have sworn this wasn't the case in iOS 8. Is the a setting I'm missing that turns this off or am I just not remembering how iOS 8 behaved?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Archiving a message in the Gmail app from the lockscreen definitely still required passcode/TouchID in iOS 8 for me.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Live Photos are actually just a JPG + a MOV so you can export them as GIFs if you want. Use Image Capture on OS X to get them off the phone. Also apparently in 9.1 the shakiness thing is a little fixed - currently you take a photo but after you take it you usually move the phone from your stable position, so the Live Photo looks like rear end. It'll use the accelerometer to detect and not to record that part if you move the phone after.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If they could've had LivePhotos as a thing on the 6 as well, it would've been huge. Even more so if it was in a 5S. I'm guessing it's a combination of it needing the extra grunt as well as needing exclusive features, but it's possibly stopped it from being something that everyone would be using already.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Riven posted:

And it's happening just when the phone comes on? Because it's supposed to happen the first time you make a purchase after every power cycle, but not just when you turn the phone on.
I think if you have auto updates enabled with touchID, you will need to auth into the app store on a reboot.
Can't test this on my handset at the moment but you might want to try disabling the auto updates and seeing if it's that.

Also re-stating that there's almost no reason to reboot an iPhone in 2015. Just toggle airplane+DND if you want it "off" - uses almost no battery, still does it's M8/M9 stuff and you can still use it to tell time / light up dark corners of your basement.

Feenix posted:

The shakiness I am referring to are the giant gaps in movement between frames. Not sure what the pro term is for that. But like let's say you were running down a football field. Instead of being a smooth path of continuously animated motion, you only kinda show up on the 5 yard line then the 30, the 60 and so on.

[Ed] based on some of the replies, in case it's not clear, I'm not hating on Live Photos because they are silly and don't have a point. I'm usually all about silly cool poo poo. I'm just saying the quality is pretty poor.
Were you in a situation with enough light to capture video? Loads of times I'm taking stills and swap to video and find it's basically impossible to shoot even 60fps in the situation I'm in.

If you find the quality lacking outdoors in semi-decent light then perhaps you have a legitimate issue, but it sounds like you're just having an argument with physics.

EL BROMANCE posted:

If they could've had LivePhotos as a thing on the 6 as well, it would've been huge. Even more so if it was in a 5S. I'm guessing it's a combination of it needing the extra grunt as well as needing exclusive features, but it's possibly stopped it from being something that everyone would be using already.
It's blatantly a hard-sell as there's no way the 6 can't manage to, effectively, just shoot video.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Khablam posted:

It's blatantly a hard-sell as there's no way the 6 can't manage to, effectively, just shoot video.

Maybe, but there may be a technical limitation. It has to keep the last 1.5 seconds of video constantly in a rotating buffer, then immediately take a full-resolution still image, then record up to 1.5 seconds more of video, all seamless without dropping a frame. Perhaps there is a reason that can't be done on the 6; perhaps switching the camera from video to still to video took too long or something like that. Apple *does* usually backport new features when it's feasible (although I'm sure you can come up with counter-examples).

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Pivo posted:

Maybe, but there may be a technical limitation. It has to keep the last 1.5 seconds of video constantly in a rotating buffer, then immediately take a full-resolution still image, then record up to 1.5 seconds more of video, all seamless without dropping a frame. Perhaps there is a reason that can't be done on the 6; perhaps switching the camera from video to still to video took too long or something like that. Apple *does* usually backport new features when it's feasible (although I'm sure you can come up with counter-examples).

Battery percentage in the 3GS. It was easily enabled by a jailbreak tweak on the 3G and had no ill effects but from the very beginning it was held only to the 3GS and future devices as aimed at an Apple iPhone event.

Also I don't think the camera needs to switch modes for this. All a phone photo is is isolating one frame of video and saving the frame as a picture file. It's obviously capable of doing both photo and video at the same time because what you're watching on the screen as you take a photo is live video.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 27, 2015

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Pivo posted:

Nah. Within a week of the 9.1 jailbreak there will be free tweaks to enable all of the missing software features in all devices, and it’s almost guaranteed it will work in all devices but the oldest.

It’s market segmentation at its finest.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Also I don't think the camera needs to switch modes for this. All a phone photo is is isolating one frame of video and saving the frame as a picture file. It's obviously capable of doing both photo and video at the same time because what you're watching on the screen as you take a photo is live video.

It's not true. The video for Live Photos is 720p or 1080p IIRC, the still image is the full 12MP. It is not isolating one frame of video.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Coming from the 6 to 6S I really cannot believe how fast this drat thing is. I don't even know if it's CPU but more the 2GB of RAM. apps never have to reload and safari tabs are never refreshing. It's just so great being able to go from one app to another and back immediately without any reloading.

Also Touch ID is lol fast.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Kinda miffed I went from a jailbroken 5s to a 6s+, and on the 5s I was running Tage which is pretty much the 3D Touch app switching gesture, only way better, faster and more reliable than 3D Touch, and usable with any device on 8.4 or lower.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Pivo posted:

Everything you're describing is really, really trivial. Phones, tablets and computers have been able to hold 1.5seconds of video in memory for a long, long rear end time.
Layman's explanations of things like this can make anything seem complicated. "Oh, it's incredibly hard, it has to advance the entire time state of the device forwards by one second, all the while keeping a log in memory of the previous time states so that it knows where it is on a predetermined linear model. It has to do this 600,000 times in a week, perfectly, to be fairly considered as accurate. Oh and lets not forget multiple timezones, locations, local time anomalies, all needing to be calculated in real time!"
That mass of nonsense describes a phone-clock from like 2004.

Dealing with 1.5 seconds of video on a device that's as quick as macbooks from a couple of years ago isn't hard.
I don't begrudge them making it a feature, but many 'S' features in the past have seemed completely arbitrary in being locked to the refreshed device, and there's several examples of jailbreaking enabling them just fine.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Khablam posted:

Dealing with 1.5 seconds of video on a device that's as quick as macbooks from a couple of years ago isn't hard.
I don't begrudge them making it a feature, but many 'S' features in the past have seemed completely arbitrary in being locked to the refreshed device, and there's several examples of jailbreaking enabling them just fine.

The tech crunch review made it seem that the concept itself is trivial enough but due to the high resolution it requires a ton of CPU to work well which was not available until the A9.

It is tech crunch though so who knows.

idempodunk
May 12, 2001
Toilet Rascal
Here's an actually useful 3D touch thing that works anywhere there's editable text. Try this:

1) edit an email or note or something
2) lightly force touch the keyboard. The keyboard changes into a trackpad that lets you reposition the cursor.
3) press down even more. Now you're in select mode! Move the cursor again to change what you're selecting.

This is a lovely description, but try it out!

idempodunk
May 12, 2001
Toilet Rascal

ShoogaSlim posted:

It's kind of dumb that "peeking" into a text, then swiping up and selecting a "custom" reply doesn't actually open the text input field. It just opens the text.

Unfortunately, it'll probably work like this for a while. On the developer side of things, the system is built such that swiping a peek up can only provide a selection of buttons that "deep link" into particular actions or screens in an app. A developer can't currently provide a custom view/widget that appears after a swipe up on a peek.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Khablam posted:

Everything you're describing is really, really trivial. Phones, tablets and computers have been able to hold 1.5seconds of video in memory for a long, long rear end time.

I'm not claiming that a buffer for 1.5s of HD video is difficult for any modern phone, I'm wondering if the switch from video recording to taking a still photo back to recording video took longer than 1/framerate seconds. Shutter lag is a thing. It seems to me that this would be a reasonable explanation as to why it's not possible on older devices, but it's just a theory.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

FLOOR_MASTER posted:

Here's an actually useful 3D touch thing that works anywhere there's editable text. Try this:

1) edit an email or note or something
2) lightly force touch the keyboard. The keyboard changes into a trackpad that lets you reposition the cursor.
3) press down even more. Now you're in select mode! Move the cursor again to change what you're selecting.

This is a lovely description, but try it out!

Just to clarify if folks have trouble with it... The above was not working for me... What does is press, then press harder to make your keyboard a cursor pad. Then *lighten* your press but do not lift your finger off the screen. Then press harder again to highlight.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Feenix posted:

Just to clarify if folks have trouble with it... The above was not working for me... What does is press, then press harder to make your keyboard a cursor pad. Then *lighten* your press but do not lift your finger off the screen. Then press harder again to highlight.

Just noticed you can even press harder and softer on a word to highlight it, or a sentence, or the entire text. Pretty rad actual new use for 3D Touch imo!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

The Rage posted:

1 month + sales tax on whole phone purchase, but they also told me they'd put a hold for 3 months of payments on the card that'd drop off after the loan was fully approved in a day or two, but might be an issue for debit card users or people hard against their credit limits. Not 100% sure on the hold cause/release since it didn't really impact me so didn't pay full attention.

I went with Apple because of the 1 year upgrade option and I trust Apple more than the carriers, who in the post-contract world I may change a lot more frequently. Plus Apple always has phones on release, carriers usually end up with slipping ship dates on big launches with limited supplies of phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Feenix posted:

Thanks for this. I couldn't get it working before.

Holy poo poo THIS is how you edit text on a phone. It's incredibly natural.