Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Sure does! ME^3 more heavily relies on Minechem, too.

Where do you get the official version of ^3 anyway? Curse doesn't seem to have it, do I need to go download the FTB launcher too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
How the hell do you unlock the Thaumcraft research to build an essentia drive? I've got all the requirements on the Thaumic Energistics page and have no idea what prereqs I'm missing and it's driving me nuts

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Magres posted:

How the hell do you unlock the Thaumcraft research to build an essentia drive? I've got all the requirements on the Thaumic Energistics page and have no idea what prereqs I'm missing and it's driving me nuts

Warded glass

You need it as an ingredient for building stuff in thaumic energistics

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Ugh, I just found it on the github for thaumic energistics.

Not listing cross-page research dependencies is awful

Magres fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 26, 2015

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

So I've just recently started playing Minecraft, and so far I've been having a blast. So far I'm still in my initial Survival run and I've created a unique player skin for myself, but I'm wanting to change up the look of the rest of the world. What are some suggestions for good resource packs? I'm running version 1.8, and I'm wanting a fantasy/RPG/Castlevania kind of look. There's a million different packs so I'm kind of lost on what a good one would be. I'm not running any mods right now, but I probably will at some point.

Edit: Also, is there any way to hide equipped armor in the game? I spent a while getting my player skin looking good and I don't want it to be covered up 90% of the time.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Wolpertinger posted:

Where do you get the official version of ^3 anyway? Curse doesn't seem to have it, do I need to go download the FTB launcher too?

If you want to do blightfall-style modpacks you probably want the FTB launcher, because that's where they all seem to be.

Seconding the recommendation of ME^3, although I will warn you not to put any of your minechem stuff in the same chunk as anything valuable, because it has a few chunk-corrupting bugs in it. Ask me about losing my entire AE system...

Regrowth is also quite fun, although it's very easy. More a laid back base building game with some quests thrown in.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Wolfsbane posted:

Regrowth is also quite fun, although it's very easy. More a laid back base building game with some quests thrown in.

Seconding this.

I preferred the more hand-holdy aspect of Regrowth's quests to AS2/Blightfall quests tbh.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Started trying Regrowth - it seems real neat already. The somewhat different recipes and methods for doing things, the large variety of unusual and more dangerous monsters, and the surprisingly cool looking new plants and saplings i found when I used mutandis added up to make things surprisingly novel real fast.
It has bees, though, which the completely unanimous hate for has prevented me from ever touching, but maybe I should give it a try here for once.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Bees aren't as bad as they used to be, there are all sorts of genetic machines that let you bypass the whole breeding thing. I quite like bees, although I never bothered to get the really obscure ones.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
And it has nothing on Mariculture fish breeding. gently caress that in particular.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

And it has nothing on Mariculture fish breeding. gently caress that in particular.

:agreed:

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
What's a good mod? Like, for me?

I keep trying to jump into mods like Tekkit and Blightfall but they're just so overwhelming.

The appeal of Tekkit is the same appeal as Cookie Clicker, right? Like, it's about getting materials to make machines that are more efficient at getting materials for making more efficient machines. Right? That sounds appealing to me, but I'd prefer something more user-friendly.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i wonder if forestry will ever get to a point where butterflies are worth doing anything with. i haven't checked in on it in a while, so i have no idea.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

mr sad posted:

What's a good mod? Like, for me?

I keep trying to jump into mods like Tekkit and Blightfall but they're just so overwhelming.

The appeal of Tekkit is the same appeal as Cookie Clicker, right? Like, it's about getting materials to make machines that are more efficient at getting materials for making more efficient machines. Right? That sounds appealing to me, but I'd prefer something more user-friendly.

The usual answer to this kind of request is Baby's First Space Race since it has a questbook that teaches you a lot of the tech mod crap in an afternoon while handing out resources generously the entire way.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

chairface posted:

The usual answer to this kind of request is Baby's First Space Race since it has a questbook that teaches you a lot of the tech mod crap in an afternoon while handing out resources generously the entire way.

I'll give it a look. Thanks.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Hi guys, I've just got PC Minecraft and was hoping for a bit of newb help.
I have installed Forge and that makes sense, then I got Optifine which I really like, then I finally got a Xbox One joypad mod which again is awesome.
I can't seem to find a way to load the game with both Optifine and the Joypad mod running at the same time, can anyone help?
Thanks!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

peter gabriel posted:

I have installed Forge and that makes sense, then I got Optifine which I really like, then I finally got a Xbox One joypad mod which again is awesome.
I can't seem to find a way to load the game with both Optifine and the Joypad mod running at the same time, can anyone help?
Thanks!

Optifine is hot garbage, uninstall immediately

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

peter gabriel posted:

Thanks!

That is because Optifine rarely gets along with anything.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
OK, thanks :)
Like I say I am a new comer to all this, I liked what Optifine did though, what is better?
Also, the initial issue of making it run as well as the joypad mod is still a concern.
Again, thanks.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

OK, thanks :)
Like I say I am a new comer to all this, I liked what Optifine did though, what is better?
Also, the initial issue of making it run as well as the joypad mod is still a concern.
Again, thanks.

Fastcraft would be a better mod as it speeds things up.

and just get a hd texture pack Sphax is one.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

President Ark posted:

Time is a flat circle square. Everything we have ever done or will do, we are going to do over and over and over again.

Imagine 4 cubes on a cliff.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

:greencube::greencube::greencube::greencube:

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!
What's the current kitchen sink pack of choice? I'm burned out on Blightfall, and want something to screw around in with weird amalgamations of mods.

Not OMP-i, though, I can't get it to work on my computer for some reason. (It crashes during loading every time, and yes I've allocated more ram to java.) :( Which sucks, because I liked OMP-i.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

What versions of Java do you have installed?

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

Ego Trip posted:

What versions of Java do you have installed?

Still Java 7, 64-bit version, update 71 it looks like. It also looks like they're not even supporting Java 7 on the site anymore. Do I have to upgrade to 8?

Edit: Was about to say no, it keeps still crashing to Technic even after updating to Java 8, but leaving it as the active window made it work. When it used to be it'd freeze if it wasn't minimized.

:shrug: Fukin minecraft sorcery. Thanks!

Ayana fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 29, 2015

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

You should, yes.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Ayana posted:

Do I have to upgrade [java]?

Just want to add, that minecraft or no, the answer to this question is always yes.

Also the java installer won't uninstall old versions, so you might need to blow away the old one.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I've been out of Minecraft for a couple years now and I want to get back into it, but I don't know anything about the modding scene anymore.

Can anyone recommend me a Minecraft mod with some sort of goal like going to another planet? I'm also interested into those Cookie Clicker like mods where your goal is to spend resources to produce better machines to make more resources, etc. Back when I played Minecraft I was a big fan of the Equivalent Exchange mod and I'm wondering if it has a replacement.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

DoubleCakes posted:

I've been out of Minecraft for a couple years now and I want to get back into it, but I don't know anything about the modding scene anymore.

Can anyone recommend me a Minecraft mod with some sort of goal like going to another planet? I'm also interested into those Cookie Clicker like mods where your goal is to spend resources to produce better machines to make more resources, etc. Back when I played Minecraft I was a big fan of the Equivalent Exchange mod and I'm wondering if it has a replacement.

Babby's First Space Race is a good modpack with the goal of going to another planet. Also Project E is the new equivalent exchange.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I would like a fun mod for my son who is 5, he loves watching The Diamond Minecart and guys like that and anything to do with Lucky Blocks, any good recommendations?

I installed a TDM mod through Technic Launcher but it doesn't seem to work.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

I would like a fun mod for my son who is 5, he loves watching The Diamond Minecart and guys like that and anything to do with Lucky Blocks, any good recommendations?

I installed a TDM mod through Technic Launcher but it doesn't seem to work.

Here's some things my kids like. They're girls though. The modpacks in this list I put together myself with only the things they wanted, feel free to use them:

Fun Land - An amusement park map you can download. Roller coasters and games and stuff. They saw it in a DanTDM video. You download the file and put it into your vanilla Minecraft saves folder, and it'll show up in the list of worlds.

Lucky Block Pack - This just has Lucky Blocks.

CandyCraft + Any Dimensions - Build a portal to the candy world (sugar blocks & lava). Also has the any dimensions mod (diamond dimension, gold dimension, emerald dimension, etc.). That one is pretty unstable, don't log off while in one of those dimensions.

Frozen Craft + Mr. Crayfish Furniture - You can kill Elsa & Anna. Furniture mod lets you add furnishings to a house. Like a toilet. Sit on it and press F to fart, all kids love it.

They also like Tekkit just to fly a rocket to mars/the moon. Use the pre-fueled one in creative mode, put it on a 3x3 launch pad, get in and press space to blast off.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

VegasShirtGuy posted:

Here's some things my kids like. They're girls though. The modpacks in this list I put together myself with only the things they wanted, feel free to use them:

Fun Land - An amusement park map you can download. Roller coasters and games and stuff. They saw it in a DanTDM video. You download the file and put it into your vanilla Minecraft saves folder, and it'll show up in the list of worlds.

Lucky Block Pack - This just has Lucky Blocks.

CandyCraft + Any Dimensions - Build a portal to the candy world (sugar blocks & lava). Also has the any dimensions mod (diamond dimension, gold dimension, emerald dimension, etc.). That one is pretty unstable, don't log off while in one of those dimensions.

Frozen Craft + Mr. Crayfish Furniture - You can kill Elsa & Anna. Furniture mod lets you add furnishings to a house. Like a toilet. Sit on it and press F to fart, all kids love it.

They also like Tekkit just to fly a rocket to mars/the moon. Use the pre-fueled one in creative mode, put it on a 3x3 launch pad, get in and press space to blast off.

This is brilliant thank you so much, I'll check them out tomorrow

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I've never actually messed with a modpack before, only ran them as is - Regrowth is really neat but no minimap is really, really unpleasant and Bibliocraft atlases are terrible without real waypoints or death markers and confusing disjointed maps. Is it possible to add a minimap mod to a modpack world in progress? The lack of a minimap has pretty much made it so it's completely unsafe for me to leave my walled in obsessively lit compound, because the few times I try to explore further and end up getting killed I can't find my grave again without creative mode and digging in logs which isn't exactly how I'd like to be doing things.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

I've never actually messed with a modpack before, only ran them as is - Regrowth is really neat but no minimap is really, really unpleasant and Bibliocraft atlases are terrible without real waypoints or death markers and confusing disjointed maps. Is it possible to add a minimap mod to a modpack world in progress? The lack of a minimap has pretty much made it so it's completely unsafe for me to leave my walled in obsessively lit compound, because the few times I try to explore further and end up getting killed I can't find my grave again without creative mode and digging in logs which isn't exactly how I'd like to be doing things.

minimaps are usually client only so go ahead and add the map of choice

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
If you're going to be playing modded minecraft with you're kids, I cant recommend Babby's First Space Race enough. The oregen is plentiful and the hqm book is detailed on how to build the various contraptions. Its great for teaching anyone how to play, but if they get bored theirs still rocket ships and ores to mine and all the rest of that good stuff. :3:

Wheres "Babby's First Eldritch Horror" Rocko?

Actually on that note: Shukaro, are you still working on that "Better than HQM" mod?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Thyrork posted:

Wheres "Babby's First Eldritch Horror" Rocko?
I have to know how to do all that stuff before I make quest books about it. I'm very slowly crawling through Blightfall, for one thing. Very slowly.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
So, how long before everyone starts adding this to their packs?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Serifina posted:

So, how long before everyone starts adding this to their packs?

Can't you do everything this mod does by just cheating in a creative Thaumonomicon and then setting your warp to 0 with the console?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Mzbundifund posted:

Can't you do everything this mod does by just cheating in a creative Thaumonomicon and then setting your warp to 0 with the console?

You can - but that's a pain in the rear end when you're doing it on a server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mzbundifund posted:

some person posted:

/thaum research @a all
/thaum warp set @a 0 perm

:\ why would i need this mod?
also, removing warp from crafting items can be tweaked in modtweaker

the mod creator posted:

Maybe some people don't like having to type a bunch of console commands every time they start a new game? Maybe some people want an entire server to not have to type in console commands? Maybe you're a special little snowflake who's just too smart and clever for this mod? Who knows?