Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

LordArgh posted:

swedes never sailed to canada what are you talking about
Well, Norsemen, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Leif Erikson was from Iceland. You guys really weren't joking about that Swedish inferiority complex, goddamn.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
and the icelandics where basically norwegians at the time, so therefore we have the claim to canada. please hand it over

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

if we're going by first come, first claim scandinavia belongs to the saami

swedes & norwegians pls go back to germania, finns go back to central asia

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

LordArgh posted:

and the icelandics where basically norwegians at the time, so therefore we have the claim to canada. please hand it over

Not true! Native Icelanders tend to have a Celtic matrilineal heritage and Norse patrilineal.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

BexGu posted:

They have a straight up championship for it in America if you want to join in.

http://sundayriver.com/events-and-activities/events-calendar/north-american-wife-carrying-championship

The winning couple takes home the wife's weight in beer, five times her weight in cash, and an entry into the World Championship, which takes place in Finland the following summer. Each year, the field includes 50 couples with pre-qualification given to the winners of state or regional events.

imagine having to explain to your wife the real reason why you came in last place

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

i wonder what the ideal balance/ratio is. yeah, you could enter with your 80 pound Asian wife, but the prize is pathetic. but, obviously, there's no hope of winning with a massive elephant of a wife. what is the "sweet spot" of decent prize money but also not having a cow for a wife?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Bear punching a wolf, Finland:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Tuxedo Gin posted:

i wonder what the ideal balance/ratio is. yeah, you could enter with your 80 pound Asian wife, but the prize is pathetic. but, obviously, there's no hope of winning with a massive elephant of a wife. what is the "sweet spot" of decent prize money but also not having a cow for a wife?

Depends on how much a given person knee's can handle. You get a nice 6'6 Fin (as in the video etalian linked) and maybe get away with a 130/120 pound wife.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Reindeer With Reflective Safety Paint Applied To Antlers:

"On, Dasher! On, Dancer! On, Bladerunner!"

Lapland, Finland:

Generic Forest, Finland:

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Frostwerks posted:

would have sex with all these white countries

If you did tap those lands, you'd probably end up with 1 blue mana, 2 green mana, and a black mana! Hahahaha! Yeah!!! It's me! The guy who made a MtG joke about a shitpost from two pages ago!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Finland issues all new mothers a, "maternity box," containing snow suits, a sleeping bag, mittens, hat, condoms (never too early), a towel, various bits of clothing and some other odds and ends in addition to the box itself being usable as a kind of crib/baby storage.

FILEPHOTO:

This isn't helping my desire to emigrate.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao a whole country that has less people than NYC

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Skeesix posted:

Not true! Native Icelanders tend to have a Celtic matrilineal heritage and Norse patrilineal.

Leif Ericsson was working for Olav Tryggvason at the time. Not even you inbreds can claim that he was icelandic.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

well good thing finns stayed in their bogs and let the real Scandinavian people such as spreads spread their genetics all over europe.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Accretionist posted:

Finland issues all new mothers a, "maternity box," containing snow suits, a sleeping bag, mittens, hat, condoms (never too early), a towel, various bits of clothing and some other odds and ends in addition to the box itself being usable as a kind of crib/baby storage.

FILEPHOTO:

I like the American way where they roll you to the front of the hospital and then dump you out with your baby onto the street before closing the door behind them.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

etalian posted:

lmao a whole country that has less people than NYC

"A snowy wasteland fill with stolid taciturn drunks," sounds pretty awesome, though.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to post more pictures to compensate for not being able to travel there:

(Still-frozen snow in the water)

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

What's so special ab-

Oh.

Oh......

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Ekster posted:

What's so special ab-

Oh.

Oh......

Maybe if it's zoomed out a little...

FUN FACT: A land bridge is forming between Finland and Sweden due to isotonic post-glacial rebound, or, the land springing back after having been pushed down by glaciers.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 28, 2015

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Accretionist posted:

FILEPHOTO:

Not only is this free from the government, but to qualify for it you have to visit the doctor for a checkup, thus causing Finland to have the lowest infant mortality rate in the world.

Accretionist posted:

"A snowy wasteland fill with stolid taciturn drunks," sounds pretty awesome, though.

gently caress I can't wait for winter. This is what a lot of Alberta looks like, and it's beautiful.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fashionable Jorts posted:

gently caress I can't wait for winter. This is what a lot of Alberta looks like, and it's beautiful.

please don't compare them, at least the finnish wasteland has beautiful women.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

etalian posted:

please don't compare them, at least the finnish wasteland has beautiful women.

Oh don't get me wrong, Alberta is a festering shithole, no denying that. But it has pretty scenery (as long as you are far from the oil)

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, Alberta is a festering shithole, no denying that. But it has pretty scenery (as long as you are far from the oil)

also the oil camps are basically glory holes

its just a big gay orgy in there

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

Top City Homo posted:

also the oil camps are basically glory holes

its just a big gay orgy in there

dude we are talking about a place where outside a given radius from the cities people still think cowboy hats are ok to wear.

it's not just the oil camps.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
P. sure most of those photos are from the Narnia movie. It's more like bike stuck in snow, less like dog walking on ice crystals.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Another thing that owns about finland is they levy income based fines for things like speeding:
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/03/finland-home-of-the-103000-speeding-ticket/387484/

One millionaire rear end in a top hat got fined 103k for speeding

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Accretionist posted:

Maybe if it's zoomed out a little...

FUN FACT: A land bridge is forming between Finland and Sweden due to isotonic rebound, or, the land springing back after having been pushed down by glaciers.

ive never heard it called isotonic rebound are you sure you dont mean post glacial rebound?

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

etalian posted:

Another thing that owns about finland is they levy income based fines for things like speeding:
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/03/finland-home-of-the-103000-speeding-ticket/387484/

One millionaire rear end in a top hat got fined 103k for speeding

That is loving awesome.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hobohemian posted:

That is loving awesome.

Tax records are also accessible by police, so they immediately can look up a rich person's yearly income and worked out the size of the speeding fine.

It's naturally caused lots of whining in right wing cowboy capitalism magazine the Wall Street Journal.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

etalian posted:

Tax records are also accessible by police, so they immediately can look up a rich person's yearly income and worked out the size of the speeding fine.

It's naturally caused lots of whining in right wing cowboy capitalism magazine the Wall Street Journal.

good

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

Whoa hey, hey now. Even Finland doesn't deserve Humon. She's one of the big reasons we don't talk about the webcomics in gb no more.

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

Frostwerks posted:

ive never heard it called isotonic rebound are you sure you dont mean post glacial rebound?

It's called isostatic rebound

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Ah, my old hometown never disappoints. :finland: I'm surprised I don't recognize any of these guys, although for all I know that's some old classmate of mine in the Klan garb.

The "fine" "city" of Lahti is also apparently the drug capital of Finland, as well as the most likely place in this country to create headlines such as "Man drives tractor through store's window and steals 12-pack of beer"

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Frostwerks posted:

:eng99:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

quote:

Lapland, Finland:

intradasting note: lapland is also part of sweden

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu