Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

EP 52: Konev nooooooo!! Who will banter with Poplan now?! Who will banter with Poplan now... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The bottle :smith:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Is there any way, to watch this, but on my phone.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
All the episodes are on YouTube, I guess. HD Playlist here.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Iserlohn posted:

All the episodes are on YouTube, I guess. HD Playlist here.

Thanks! Wifi doesn't work on my laptop for some reason

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Only problem with watching it on youtube is several portions of music are muted to avoid getting wiped for copyright infringement. It's a drat shame too, the music is good.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I'm watching episode 8 and it says Iserlohn Fortress in the Iserlohn corridor is the only navigation route between the Empire and the Alliance. How the gently caress is possible in space. Why not go around it.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Happy Hedonist posted:

I'm watching episode 8 and it says Iserlohn Fortress in the Iserlohn corridor is the only navigation route between the Empire and the Alliance. How the gently caress is possible in space. Why not go around it.

The impression I got was that their drive systems had limited range before needing to refuel, and that and the neutral planet's corridor were the only two known routes where there was a suitable refueling spot in between the two.

That might just be me remembering playing Sword of the Stars while watching though.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 28, 2015

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
There's actually two. Phezzan is the other route between Imperial and Alliance territory. I don't think the show ever explicitly explains why this is the case. I assume it's an attempt by the author to create vital geographic chokepoints in space just like we have in Earth's history, i.e. Straits of Gibraltar. By the way I'm on episode 101 right now. I find the closer I get to the end, the slower I am watching the episodes, I just don't want it to end!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It's more like those are the only charted routes through a shitstorm of black holes (or something, there's one ep where some fleet runs into the "edge" of the corridor and it's some kind of magic wall of space energy that blows them up) and if you try and warp through somewhere that isn't the corridor you run into a supernova or something. Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Seems like a silly plot device to me, but whatever, I still love what I've watched so far.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
It's a convenient plot device, but it's actually reasonable given the technology in the series. There's a documentary episode that explains the founding of the Alliance that explains poo poo about the known regions of space the series takes place in.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Apparently they're the two points that you can travel from one Galactic arm to the next with the range of their warp technology

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't happen very often but every once in a while the show goes "here's how this works it's sci-fi lol" and you just have to roll with it. I always thought the Zephyr(?) Particles they use to prevent blaster fire was kind of analogous to gas warfare in WWI, sort of a mutually assured destruction option on a small scale.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

It doesn't happen very often but every once in a while the show goes "here's how this works it's sci-fi lol" and you just have to roll with it. I always thought the Zephyr(?) Particles they use to prevent blaster fire was kind of analogous to gas warfare in WWI, sort of a mutually assured destruction option on a small scale.

Its not exactly like, but awful drat close to, the shield and blaster tech in Dune. As "thats just how it works deal with it" sci fi concepts go, its not a bad lineage to draw from

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The Houshin Engi guy is going to be doing a LOGH manga in weekly Young Jump

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

The Houshin Engi guy is going to be doing a LOGH manga in weekly Young Jump

woah

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

This picture makes me realize if there's anything that this and the new anime can do, its add a little bit more visual flavor

I mean the uniforms from the classic anime are good in a sort of very utilitarian, plausible, but narratively functional way. But they don't look... cool.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

When I think of the op music for Arslan and then think of something similar for LoGH it makes me very very sad.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the new anime does, but I'm awful glad it's coming along after we have a full release of the original.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Mederlock posted:

Apparently they're the two points that you can travel from one Galactic arm to the next with the range of their warp technology

Don't they explain at one point that you need a good-size gravity well to make a warp jump? like, if there is no star or planet nearby, you're just boned and can't get any acceleration

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I thought so too

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm guessing it probably won't happen with this upcoming new series, but I'd be happy to see LOGH get a few characters' genders changed. I want to see some lady admirals, damnit!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Id like annerose to get a personality swap

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

DamnGlitch posted:

FTFY

A goon more clever than I once called her Annerosebud, a plot object that just sits there inertly and servers only to motivate another character.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I was literally waiting for a strikethru quote~

Annerose is such a vacuum of anything remotely interesting. Its a bummer considering the very few other female characters are almost all much more interesting and better illustrated (Hilde, Frederica, uhhhhh i forget the woman who poo poo talks gob and gets killed for political reasons)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

Annerose is such a vacuum of anything remotely interesting. Its a bummer considering the very few other female characters are almost all much more interesting and better illustrated (Hilde, Frederica, uhhhhh i forget the woman who poo poo talks gob and gets killed for political reasons)

Jessica, aka "Guards, this woman".

Honorable mention to Katerose too.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm guessing it probably won't happen with this upcoming new series, but I'd be happy to see LOGH get a few characters' genders changed. I want to see some lady admirals, damnit!

Pretty sure I've heard the manga did this, but I've never read it so I couldn't say who.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Wenli is a unisex name in Chinese :ssh:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
That said if the new series was more egalitarian about women officers and crew, I'd pray they keep the uniforms unisex and not do the godawful boobsuits that Yamato 2199 did.

please god remove boobsuits from your plan for space opera

Elotana posted:

Wenli is a unisex name in Chinese :ssh:

Nice!

DamnGlitch posted:

I'm also okay with this.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Don't forget about that big tits redhead. Actually I don't remember what she did, I think I was let down that she sort of just disappeared.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Don't forget about that big tits redhead. Actually I don't remember what she did, I think I was let down that she sort of just disappeared.

she called out rubinsky on his poo poo

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Pretty sure she gets whacked when Rubinsky murders his kid

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

skasion posted:

Pretty sure she gets whacked when Rubinsky murders his kid

Nope, she survives, though she remains in the background, occasionally popping out to nudge things one way or the other.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
I think near the end of the series she is questioned by Oberstein, but she is released and doesn't appear again.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

The actual intended name for them was "Seffle" particles, after the dude who discovered them, but Central Anime didn't find this out until they did the OVA which involved that, so they went with their best guess.
I think Zephyr Particles sounds much much cooler anyway.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

They should make Schenkopp a woman. That'd be amazing.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Hell yeah. That would give Reuental even more problems.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

The internet fallout would be something to behold if they keep most of Schenkopp's little sideplots with Poplan, etc. intact.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

Jessica, aka "Haman Khan". Man, I wanted that character to do more :saddowns:

Adding/swapping in some women side-characters/admirals would be a good idea. Female Admiral Lenin to back up Admiral Stalin or something :v:

On the other hand this is Japan we are talking about so uh, yeah. Minefield.

e: Female Yang, obviously the best swap. Reinhard stuttering/swooning like a goof.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pimpmust posted:

Jessica, aka "Haman Khan". Man, I wanted that character to do more :saddowns:

Adding/swapping in some women side-characters/admirals would be a good idea. Female Admiral Lenin to back up Admiral Stalin or something :v:

On the other hand this is Japan we are talking about so uh, yeah. Minefield.

e: Female Yang, obviously the best swap. Reinhard stuttering/swooning like a goof.

So the reason why one of the main characters should be female is so that the other (male) main character can have a romantic interest in them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Didn't say that. Just that Reinhard got... issues.

Not that Japan does gender-criticism (often/well), but female Yang and the whole sausage fest higher/older admirality could be an interesting aspect too. Would also be an even better foil for the empire crew / eye-opener for Reinhard.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 13, 2015