Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Pound_Coin posted:

I'vev not messed around with the animal taming yet, but is it possible to breed packs of boomrats to let loose on invaders? they're basically grenades with legs.

Yes, with the caveat it will be hard.

First you need to tame a male/female couple, which without a high animal skill will take for ever. Fortunately when you have them breeding they give birth to multiple young.

However they aren't too intelligent so whilst you can tame them and train release it could take ages, but once they have release you should be good. (Barring accidents like them dying of old age in your base and exploding, or being shot just before they are released during a firefight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Meskhenet posted:

I had a 2 day old chick pretty much single handedly save my entire colony.

Raiders came and tunneled straight for the ancient evil that i had stupidly constructed a sizable portion of my base around. This opened up a bunch of almost instantly dead humans and a centipede with a gattling gun.

The mechaniod absolutely destroyed everyone in the room and made its way into my base.

For some reason it was hell bent on killing this one chick that was slowly trying to escape.
It just couldnt shoot it.

I had 1 guy manage to snipe the mechaniod to death over what must have been a good 7-10 minutes while the rest of my colonists fled to bed before they all bled to death.

That one chick was a hero.

Minigun/charge blaster weapons are actually almost incapable of hitting the thing they're aiming at. They have a minimum dispersion stat which i think means they physically can't hit things directly on the tile they're targetting.

They will sometimes, but very rarely, so I assume it's something like they can 'miss' onto the thing they're aiming at, but if you send one lone person against a minigunner, they can plink away at them for a long time without being shot.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Yeah, the problem centipedes imo are the inferno cannon ones. Not because they do heaps of damage themselves, but because they force your guys to break cover and run all over the place in front of the miniguns, blasters and charge lances the other mechs have.

Nocor
Apr 13, 2013
Good god this game can get hard. I've been playing in the open land areas and it seems like the "dig into a mountainside" bases must be easier to defend. I'm getting attacks on all sides and it's hard to funnel the attackers down

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

It's not just that, but also the lack of resources, metal for crafting and stone for walls, that makes it harder compared to a mountain start.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Playing in anything less mountainous than large hills is basically hard mode.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Huh? There are shells right there in there own little shell stockpile. The door isn't locked and the shells aren't forbidden. Why is it saying there are no nearby shells available?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Shell stockpile included in the zone the pawn is allowed to go to?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

How do you get colonists to wake up and start putting out a huge raging fire? I had a battery bank explode in the middle of the night, and I woke everybody up and told them to prioritize putting out the fire, but as soon as they put out the fire on a single tile they run back to bed. This fire is in the home zone and firefighting is priority 1 for everybody.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm thinking that's a scheduling issue, but I don't know because I set it to anything at all times every game.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Taeke posted:

I'm thinking that's a scheduling issue, but I don't know because I set it to anything at all times every game.

Sounds right, I've had a similar problem and I fixed it by setting everyone to Work 24/7 until the fires were out.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!

Taeke posted:

But what about mandatory joy hour?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Rimworld: Mandatory Joy Hour

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

fart simpson posted:

How do you get colonists to wake up and start putting out a huge raging fire? I had a battery bank explode in the middle of the night, and I woke everybody up and told them to prioritize putting out the fire, but as soon as they put out the fire on a single tile they run back to bed. This fire is in the home zone and firefighting is priority 1 for everybody.

That shouldn't happen unless the source of the fire is outside the home zone and continuously spreading into it. Whenever there's a fire I immediately make sure to put a large home zone block around it to avoid this issue. If the fire is still in the home zone when your colonists are going back to bed, I'm not sure what the problem could be because firefighting is actually supposed to override their schedule, that is to say, they should continue to put out fires as long as there's one in the home zone regardless of what activity they've been set to.

A couple of other things I guess it might be:

Your colonists are in a restricted area

The remaining fires are inaccessible for some reason.

(Firefighting in this game is still dumb despite Tynan's improvements, and needs a lot of work)

edit: I just use the default anything/sleep settings on the schedule, so admittedly I don't know how joy/work settings would interfere with firefighting. But then again, this is apparently happening during bedtime, and in my experience firefighting will override (although you have to wake them up first) this until all fires in the HZ are put out.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 25, 2015

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Is there an actual advantage to using a set schedule over just setting everything to anything all the time? I got annoyed at colonists getting joy or sleep deprived whenever I overrode their schedule for a period because I needed something done. It seemed to take forever for them to get back in their rhythm so I just started doing the latter and never looked back.

I can kind of see it if you have, say, multiple cooks but only one kitchen so you have them alternating shifts, but I just build a second kitchen at that point.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Drunk in Space posted:

There are workarounds: colonists seem to avoid routes with traps in them if they can find another path. For example, if you have a perimeter wall with doors in it and an open corridor leading into it lined with traps, raiders usually go for the corridor, whereas colonists tend to use the doors.

I've had some success before making an open central area with lots of sandbags and turrets and other nasty things and one or two forbidden doors into the base, flanked by sections with thick walls and a ton of powered doors in a row in a hallway.

Your pawns zip in and out of the layered exits, while enemies usually go for the 'easy' way in and get slaughtered in the killzone.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
I haven't done this myself, but I think schedules could work well to force avoidance. Like if you had an abrasive colonist and wanted to keep him from interacting as much as possible you'd put him on a schedule where he's never around anyone.

This looks like a feature I wait of some mechanics. For example, you might in the future use sleep schedules to create a hot bunking arrangement if the game didn't always peg a bed to a specific colonist.

Do mortars just suck rear end?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mortars are inaccurate as hell, yes. But they do hurt when they hit something.

They're generally not worth using yourself but if the enemy preps for a while and they're a big army, you can sometimes land a lucky hit on them which can do wonders for softening up a big raid.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I've never had much success with mortars, even against groups that are prepping. Also, maybe it's just my imagination but it seems like these days there are far more groups that immediately attack than there used to be, including the new sappers, which reduces your opportunities for using mortars even further.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
If I let a Worg roam in an animal zone that includes wild critters, will it hunt and feed on it's own?

E: set up three mortars, toss shells down. It's a decent gamble, because one or two hits will really ruin the raiders' day.

Tias fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 27, 2015

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Welp, that was my shortest colony yet. My 3 guys crash landed, I equipped weapons, and then deconstructed a wall right beside the landing spot, thinking I could use that for temporary shelter. There were 3 scythers inside.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

fart simpson posted:

Welp, that was my shortest colony yet. My 3 guys crash landed, I equipped weapons, and then deconstructed a wall right beside the landing spot, thinking I could use that for temporary shelter. There were 3 scythers inside.

You get a little pop up saying the colonist feels an ancient evil when there are mechanoids inside a wall like that - maybe you missed it?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I got it but the only other time I saw that popup the room was just full of cryptosleep caskets so I thought I'd chance it. I assumed something bad might happen but I didn't think it would be that bad!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Tias posted:

If I let a Worg roam in an animal zone that includes wild critters, will it hunt and feed on it's own?

Nope. It's very frustrating. They'll only eat meat that your colonists have butchered.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
There is a mod that supposedly adds animal hunting behaviour, but I've not tried it myself yet:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16236.0

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Someone mentioned a mod here recently that let you smooth/beautify stone walls, but I can't find it. I hate having to build a second layer of walls just so my colonists won't hate my base. Anyone know what mod this is?

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bold Robot posted:

Someone mentioned a mod here recently that let you smooth/beautify stone walls, but I can't find it. I hate having to build a second layer of walls just so my colonists won't hate my base. Anyone know what mod this is?

yeah man, i haven't tried it, but this is what you're looking for-

get the community core library from this page: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14172.0

and the smooth walls mod here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16098.0

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh god this game

why did I just buy this game yesterday

I've gotten three hours of sleep in the past 48 hours

thanks, obama

Tias
May 25, 2008

Man, I love the prepare carefully mod <3

Now, with three young ascetic, hard working, cannibal colonists, I can finally live out my fantasies of being a hill-billy space backwater farmer.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Tias posted:

Now, with three young ascetic, hard working, cannibal colonists, I can finally live out my fantasies of being a hill-billy space backwater farmer.

I'm pretty sure that's a verbatim description of >0 cults

Tias
May 25, 2008

I was shooting for Deliverance, but any port in a storm!

There's a flaw in my plan, though, as others will join me eventually. Will colonists become accustomed to/like cannibalism if they do it often enough?

E: Whats is <0 cults? Googling it just turned up a bunch of articles warning of the dangers of Alcoholics Anonymous :confused:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Tias posted:

There's a flaw in my plan, though, as others will join me eventually. Will colonists become accustomed to/like cannibalism if they do it often enough?

If they don't like the food, they can become the food. :colbert:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Tias posted:

E: Whats is <0 cults? Googling it just turned up a bunch of articles warning of the dangers of Alcoholics Anonymous :confused:

It was >0 cults, and it's exactly as read - greater than zero cults, as in there are cults with that description.

You're basically the trope of the nice bunch of farmers you meet out in the boonies that seem very nice but also strange and backwards until they invite you in for dinner and you realize that it's you who is dinner.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Tias posted:

Turn on debug options, then you can add traits to people. Handwave it away as group pressure or being forced to enjoy it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Recently started out playing the game. Should I be tunneling into a mountain to build a base or make each room out in the open? I tried to redo all the bedrooms but I it seemed like I couldn't upgrade the walls.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Dunno-Lars posted:

Turn on debug options, then you can add traits to people. Handwave it away as group pressure or being forced to enjoy it.

I really think that colonists should have a chance to get the cannibal trait every time they eat human meat.

Tenzarin posted:

Recently started out playing the game. Should I be tunneling into a mountain to build a base or make each room out in the open? I tried to redo all the bedrooms but I it seemed like I couldn't upgrade the walls.

Making rooms in the open is faster, but tunneling can be more secure

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tenzarin posted:

whichever. tunneling is safer, but slower and it's more difficult to regulate temperature. building in the open gives you more freedom and is quicker, but you have to produce building materials and it opens you up to many more angles of attack. in the base game, you can't upgrade walls - you have to mine the space out then rebuild it. there are mods that let you smooth walls

i prefer building thick granite-walled farming colonies surrounded by acres of corn, but this can be hairy when 40 rabid tribals show up

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

ChickenWing posted:

I really think that colonists should have a chance to get the cannibal trait every time they eat human meat.

Agreed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHVXAMVC53M

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
corn town, currently sans turrets as i prepare to build the spaceship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Chickens are amazing. I'm 4 months into my new colony and I've had around 50 chicks born. About half of those are male, which I don't really need, so I sold them to a bulk trader for about 25 silver each. This is going to keep growing and getting better, too.