Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Hobohemian posted:

Wow, nobody kills themselves in Mexico.

Catholicism+even if they're poor, family support network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the whole language is basically a massive shibboleth

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

that's not even a real compound word like kumarreksituteskenteleentuvaisehkollaismaisekkuudellisenneskenteluttelemattomammuuksissansakaankopahan

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

etalian posted:

Tax records are also accessible by police, so they immediately can look up a rich person's yearly income and worked out the size of the speeding fine.

It's naturally caused lots of whining in right wing cowboy capitalism magazine the Wall Street Journal.

Tax and wage records are actually accessible to everyone, so if you want to know how much your dumb neighbour or favourite rockstar makes then knock yourself out.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

kikkelivelho posted:

Tax and wage records are actually accessible to everyone, so if you want to know how much your dumb neighbour or favourite rockstar makes then knock yourself out.

no they are not.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Spent the morning driving through endless forest listening to unintelligible Finnish hiphop, am now eating a worryingly tasty buffet lunch. Please send help.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I once had a boss whose name translated as Mr. Wolf, and as part of my training he made me fight a husky.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Free Market Mambo you seem to be enjoying yourself in Finland. That is illegal here. I'm informing the cops.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
There is a facebook group tracking the location of all 8 police in the region, they'll never take me.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Neurosis posted:

no they are not.

https://www.vero.fi/fi-FI/Tietoa_Verohallinnosta/Tiedotteet/Henkiloasiakkaat/Julkiset_verotiedot_nahtavilla_Verohalli%2834758%29
http://www.veronmaksajat.fi/Palkka-ja-elake/Julkiset-verotiedot/

Pretty sure they are.

You can't get an exact income figure but you can make a pretty good estimate based on these stats.

kikkelivelho fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 28, 2015

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Free Market Mambo posted:

There is a facebook group tracking the location of all 8 police in the region, they'll never take me.

You must live in some kind of high crime area to warrant that many cops.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

You must live in some kind of high crime area to warrant that many cops.

Only 4 of them are humans though

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
It's real rough, all kinds of trouble.

Yesterday my neighbor said hello to me in the elevator.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
what kind of overcrowded urban hell do you live in that you need elevators? :stonk:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Is the Finns=Mongolians thing a new meme because I'd honestly never heard it before this thread?

It's cool, though. I khan dig it.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Is the Finns=Mongolians thing a new meme because I'd honestly never heard it before this thread?

It's cool, though. I khan dig it.

its an almost 200 year old meme.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Iretep posted:

its an almost 200 year old meme.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Real solution for Ukrainian problem is wait for winter, then send piles of Finns into the country:

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010
Slighty nws for graphic finnish man-rear end

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cascade Failure posted:

Slighty nws for graphic finnish man-rear end

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
Didn't read the thread, but Finland is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd7VV7iLOuI

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
on one hand, i don't think any of these memes represent the viewpoint of anyone ever i've ever met

on the other hand, they're very dank, and truthbombs never lie

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
all the nordic countries seem v cool and i'd love to visit and it's cool they all speak english but would norwegian or swedish be the best to learn for mutual intelligibility

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

did you make this yourself

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

tetsuo posted:

all the nordic countries seem v cool and i'd love to visit and it's cool they all speak english but would norwegian or swedish be the best to learn for mutual intelligibility
Norwegian, without a doubt. The Danish and Swedish language are abominations whose speakers have a real hard time understanding each other, while Norwegians mostly have no issues being understood or understanding the others. Plus Sweden will of course be majority Arab speaking by 2030.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

tetsuo posted:

just speak english

we're good at english up here

The rest of europe is... less enlightened :smug:

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Zzulu posted:

just speak english

we're good at english up here

The rest of europe is... less enlightened :smug:
well drat. I'm still interested in learning one though, i'll go with norsk and a keyboard that can make your warlock letters.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

yes, it would make sense that the finnish lion is committing suicide

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
How did our countries up north get their names anyway? I live in Sweden and I have no idea where "Sverige" came from

quote:

In Sweden, the form Swerike is attested from the end of the 13th century, Svearike, from the 14th century, as well as the Icelandic Svíaríki and the Old Gutnish Suiariki.
In those days the meaning was restricted to the older Swedish region in Svealand and did not always include Götaland, the land of the Geats. The word rike translates to "realm" and also appears in the name of the legislature, Riksdag (c.f. Danish rigsdag, German Reichstag).

Towards the end of the 15th century, the form had changed to Swerighe both in Swedish and Danish, like bakare ("baker") to bagare and mik ("me") to mig. 17th-century spellings include Swerghe, Swirghe, Swirge.

Much is made about the difference between the medieval forms Svearike and Sverige. Although, medieval Swedes were unlikely to see it as anything else but a matter of pronunciation.

It kind of just appeared one day and no one knows where it came from before those records. Our ancestors loving sucked at writing poo poo down. Too busy raping and wrestling in the mud.

Meanwhile, in Finland;

quote:

The first known written appearance of the name Finland is thought to be on on three rune-stones. Two were found in the Swedish province of Uppland and have the inscription finlonti. The third was found in Gotland, in the Baltic Sea. It has the inscription finlandi and dates from the 13th century. The name can be assumed to be related to the tribe name Finns, which is mentioned first known time AD 98 (disputed meaning).

loving no one knows where "Suomi" comes from

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Zzulu posted:

loving no one knows where "Suomi" comes from

Possibly źemē , Proto-Balto-Slavic for "land", from Proto-Indo-European *dʰéǵʰōm.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Zzulu posted:

How did our countries up north get their names anyway? I live in Sweden and I have no idea where "Sverige" came from
Sverige comes from the words Svear and rike, that is, the realm of the Svears. The Svears being the northernmost of two major groups in Sweden, the other being the Götar, who did not get to name the country for some reason. A bit like the Angles and Saxons ending up with a country named England I suppose. Denmark is basically "The Borderland/Woodland of the Danes" , or possibly Dan, as in, some dude named Dan. Though the same source claimed England was named for his brother Angel, so that seems doubtful. Norway somehow manages to be easier to decipher in English than in Norwegian, literally meaning north(ern) way apparently.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

How do they reproduce

Do they just have really good dick aim or what

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

ElGroucho posted:

How do they reproduce

Alcohol

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

ElGroucho posted:

How do they reproduce

where do you live where bus stops are places where people reproduce?

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Norwegian, without a doubt. The Danish and Swedish language are abominations whose speakers have a real hard time understanding each other, while Norwegians mostly have no issues being understood or understanding the others. Plus Sweden will of course be majority Arab speaking by 2030.

Mashallah

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

LordArgh posted:

where do you live where bus stops are places where people reproduce?

Where do you live where you find the thought of social or physical contact with another human being repulsive enough to avoid all interaction, despite the frigid temperature and the instinctual human need for group comfort and warmth?

Is it Finland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

Where do you live where you find the thought of social or physical contact with another human being repulsive enough to avoid all interaction, despite the frigid temperature and the instinctual human need for group comfort and warmth?

Is it Finland?

When it is cold and dark out, the last thing you want is having to listen to some dimwit rattling on about his useless life while you patiently try to wait for the bus. Give me silence anytime.

...I just realized that was my instinctual reaction to the mere thought of random human contact. Being a Finn really is about misanthropy, isn't it?

• Locked thread