Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
all of mafia:

Tremendous Taste posted:

I feel like frank grimes in the Simpsons where he looks at a blithering idiot just doing nonsensical and ridiculous things and at the end of the day I'm the one getting fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Haha I couldn't remember the context for that but yes

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The idea of right reasons and wrong reasons is very self-centered and undeservedly superior. Some cases are more supported than others, and some people are more persuasive than others, but if you believe that certain actions are indicative of a scum mindset then that's valid. Moreso if a majority of people also believe that this is a scummy thing and you are scum for it.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

No, that's the opinion of people who aren't able to self correct for whatever reason. Most people realize that what Ecco said is right.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
If you are scum and a majority of people are voting for you and you are sitting there thinking :smuggo: "they don't deserve this lynch, they aren't even voting me for the right reasons" then you need to get over yourself.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

If you think 2+2=5 so scum, that's not a legitimate reason. Even if you bag a scum by accident.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
holy poo poo... meinberg is paul walhburg

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
we are the sociopaths making fun of him for his sanity

it all adds up

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Here are two things that are objectively wrong in mafia:

I'm voting for X because I don't like them

I'm voting for myself because X

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

You're being too result-oriented, Asii. If I roll a D12 to decide who I'm vigging and hit scum, that doesn't mean that rolling a D12 was a good idea.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Tremendous Taste posted:

If you think 2+2=5 so scum, that's not a legitimate reason. Even if you bag a scum by accident.

If the majority of people believe 2+2=5 so scum, it's a legitimate reason because mafia is a social game and not a math problem.

There is no objective truth.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

You're being too result-oriented, Asii. If I roll a D12 to decide who I'm vigging and hit scum, that doesn't mean that rolling a D12 was a good idea.

I'm talking about being lynched by a majority of players.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

No, that isn't so. Sorry.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I do have to agree with Ecco to an extent. I have the belief that keeping yourself from being lynched is one of the most important skills a mafia player needs (whether town or scum) and there's a reason some players have meta for being constantly lynched D1 despite playing with different people. It's very rare for me to be lynched in games these days, when it happens it's normally because I've gone for one of my big plays and it's all gone horribly wrong. But in general I'm good at getting out of heat and I think it's been the biggest improvement to my game. If you let yourself get lynched then you've cost your team a player, if you're town then you've cost them the only player you know is town and you've also prevented yourself from applying the rest of your mafia abilities to the rest of the game.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I was super frustrated in my first scum game where Jake picked me off absolutely nothing and i melted down which obviously didn't help.

but since then I've had the balancing experiences of towns moving their cases from me for no reason when I should have been dead to rights.

balungo baluño

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Asiina posted:

I'm talking about being lynched by a majority of players.

What if the players decide who to dunk by rolling all their dice at once, and repeating until someone has a majority. If you hit scum, does that make it a good idea?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Pinterest Mom posted:

What if the players decide who to dunk by rolling all their dice at once, and repeating until someone has a majority. If you hit scum, does that make it a good idea?

good idea.

Lets start doing this, I have SO MANY DICE.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rarity posted:

I do have to agree with Ecco to an extent. I have the belief that keeping yourself from being lynched is one of the most important skills a mafia player needs (whether town or scum) and there's a reason some players have meta for being constantly lynched D1 despite playing with different people. It's very rare for me to be lynched in games these days, when it happens it's normally because I've gone for one of my big plays and it's all gone horribly wrong. But in general I'm good at getting out of heat and I think it's been the biggest improvement to my game. If you let yourself get lynched then you've cost your team a player, if you're town then you've cost them the only player you know is town and you've also prevented yourself from applying the rest of your mafia abilities to the rest of the game.
I agree. Ecco is bad at Mafia.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Asiina posted:

If the majority of people believe 2+2=5 so scum, it's a legitimate reason because mafia is a social game and not a math problem.

There is no objective truth.

If 5 out of 9 people want to smear poo poo on themselves, that's their right, but it just means the majority is stupid

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Whoah. Did ecco...just get owned?!?!?!?!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

To expand on this, if I make a case on the fact that I rolled a D12 and this person came up as scum, I'm not going to get a majority of people to agree with me based on that logic.

There has to be something to my case that other people can see as not arbitrary or random in order to get people to agree with me. Your dice rolling example doesn't have that.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

No, there doesn't. People are often incredibly lazy and sometimes a veneer of logic is enough. That's all.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Tremendous Taste posted:

If 5 out of 9 people want to smear poo poo on themselves, that's their right, but it just means the majority is stupid

And if you can't manage to convince them that smearing poo poo on themselves is a bad idea, that has nothing to do with you and your ability to be persuasive?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Tremendous Taste posted:

so there aren't right reasons? Or there are but they're totally unquantifiable game to game?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Asiina posted:

And if you can't manage to convince them that smearing poo poo on themselves is a bad idea, that has nothing to do with you and your ability to be persuasive?

Do you think you were dunked for the right reason on the final day of Wild and Crazy Kids?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Asiina posted:

not necessarily. some people could see god in front of them and stay atheist

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

Do you think you were dunked for the right reason on the final day of Wild and Crazy Kids?

I think I failed at being persuasive.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
the right reasons
a genuine connection
Welcome to the Bachelor Mansion
you did not receive a rose

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
this is why i left you guys for so long
it was like living in a broken home

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's just funny to me that this "your logic is bad" only comes up when it's the arguer that's getting voted for.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'd hope that no town player would pursue a case knowingly relying on terrible logic

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
If I could selfhammer to end this discussion I would.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i just want us to stop fighting anymore and for someone to tell me i did a good job in the school play

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

It's just funny to me that this "your logic is bad" only comes up when it's the arguer that's getting voted for.

That's not so. I tell people their logic is bad all the time from a neutral position :P

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I think everybody should just do whatever they think would be funniest and things will probably work out okay.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

mr.capps posted:

i just want us to stop fighting anymore and for someone to tell me i did a good job in the school play

You did so good, you were the best tree I've ever seen stand still in a forest

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
Just so everybody knows, nobody in this thread is mafia, nobody is trying fool anyone into believing something that's wrong. You're trying to convince people of something, not trying to show why they're wrong/lying and you're right

Be nice :)

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

mr.capps posted:

You did amazing. Amazing.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

mr.capps posted:

I'm proud of you and all the accomplishments your sixth grade teacher tells us about during parent teacher conferences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

mr.capps posted:

Capps, you always do a great job in the school play. You don't need any of us to tell you that because you know you are a superior actor of the highest caliber.