Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Someone Awful! posted:

I've only been lurking mafia games since like...... since I registered so I guess it's about time!!! plus sirsam would be disappointed and he's a cool dude.

Will look at eccogame tomorrow!

Good, now we'll get to play together in eccogame. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Someone Awful! posted:

I've only been lurking mafia games since like...... since I registered so I guess it's about time!!! plus sirsam would be disappointed and he's a cool dude.

Will look at eccogame tomorrow!

I lurked on the very first mafia games that kingcobweb ran in gbs before I had an account on here, no shame in that~

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I could run BroFia II or Wizard Mafia II, both of those games have straightforward setups, good flavor, and a little more going on than a basic F11. Both were originally closed-setup, but it's probably okay to recycle them if it's all new players (Both in general or to the setup)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

I could run BroFia II or Wizard Mafia II, both of those games have straightforward setups, good flavor, and a little more going on than a basic F11. Both were originally closed-setup, but it's probably okay to recycle them if it's all new players (Both in general or to the setup)

Ok i'm putting together Wizard Mafia II right now, stay tuned

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

Ok i'm putting together Wizard Mafia II right now, stay tuned

Wizards Mafia II, a game for 13, is now open! I'd like to invite newer players. This game is not complicated, but there is a little bit more going on than e.g. a C9. Come play!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
wow rude.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

if only there was a game queue or something

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Captain Foo posted:

if only there was a game queue or something

I mean yeah but come on I've been talking for a while about opening a game today.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

EccoRaven posted:

I mean yeah but come on I've been talking for a while about opening a game today.

:rip:

idk what to tell you i guess

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
People might still sign up for your game even if you don't manage to make it literally their only available choice at the time. Hard to imagine, I know.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Slack Mafia is more than half full and several really exciting ~Secret Mystery Players~ have signed up! Don't be intimidated, it is newbie-friendly and the format, while experimental, is expected to be more accessible, readable, and fun to use.

Come join us!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

EccoRaven posted:

You also almost always have a game running though right? I think the community can support a few games taking sign ups, even if it doesn't happen instantly.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
Welcome to ADD Mafia a mafia game for 11 players with shortened game days(catered to US timezones)
Please sign up

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Something I've been thinking lately is the always execute every day rule.

I know the math on it, but that doesn't take into account the actual reads you have on people. There's been a few times where I've been in games close to the deadline and people only have a few viable picks for votes and people vote somebody that don't really think is scum but instead vote because there needs to be an execution. This creates a really easy situation for scum to vote without responsibility. Additionally, if your read was worth a drat in the first place you're down a town you wouldn't be if you didn't just shrug and vote with the crowd.

What are the thoughts on this?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I know the math on it, but that doesn't take into account the actual reads you have on people. There's been a few times where I've been in games close to the deadline and people only have a few viable picks for votes and people vote somebody that don't really think is scum but instead vote because there needs to be an execution. This creates a really easy situation for scum to vote without responsibility. Additionally, if your read was worth a drat in the first place you're down a town you wouldn't be if you didn't just shrug and vote with the crowd.

I find the most mafia content (at least here) happens at deadline so this is a really interesting discussion. I agree that scum hide in it, in fact I'd say it's the most potent scum weapon. The beginning of Charnel in Charnaz had a big push on someone with basically no read on them at the end of D1 with basically no scum interaction and it totally hurt town for the entire rest of the game. So random pushes like that I think are deffo bad for town.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

you have, say, 13 players

seven votes to dunk

five players vote for, say, fan favourite capps. The remaining players don't agree with the case and no dunk.

capps isn't nked, obviously. someone innocuous is that won't reveal much about voting patterns. so you start the next day without knowing capps' alignment, five people still think he's scum, and you have no more information to be able to discern peoples' motivations for voting to dunk.

never no dunk.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

On the other hand voting for information is bad too.

At the start if the next day you know some people were so strongly convinced of Capps innocence that they wouldn't vote. Those people then have a need to explain why and who should be voted for instead. You can move on. Obviously it shouldn't be done frivolously but I disagree that there's never a place for it.

I guess one of the implied things I'm complaining about is late day pushes without much previous content to work with.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if there could be a postpone mechanic. If the majority of people don't feel confident enough to lynch anyone you could vote to postpone it to the next day, where now you have to lynch two people. Whether it'd be double plurality or just hammer, day continues until second hammer, I'm not sure. Also I'd probably limit it to just one per game. I dunno, just throwing ideas out.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Asiina posted:

I wonder if there could be a postpone mechanic. If the majority of people don't feel confident enough to lynch anyone you could vote to postpone it to the next day, where now you have to lynch two people. Whether it'd be double plurality or just hammer, day continues until second hammer, I'm not sure. Also I'd probably limit it to just one per game. I dunno, just throwing ideas out.

I feel like that's almost making lurking a pro-town move.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Asiina posted:

this is an interesting idea but i feel it will be unlikely to be used given our reliance on the (extremely excellent) votefinder

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

BottleKnight posted:

I feel like that's almost making lurking a pro-town move.

Yeah, since your options the next day will always be more informed I don't see why people wouldn't postpone D1 every time. There needs to be some penalty for it where you don't always want to use it, but it's still better than a completely blind lynch people don't really believe in.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I totally agree with this. If you're convinced that someone is town then don't vote to lynch them. It's better to no lynch than lynch town and at the end of the day you're not the only person who can drop the hammer so you're only responsible for what you do. Even though it sometimes bites me in the rear end I'm still willing to take a stand to protect someone.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rarity posted:

I totally agree with this. If you're convinced that someone is town then don't vote to lynch them. It's better to no lynch than lynch town and at the end of the day you're not the only person who can drop the hammer so you're only responsible for what you do. Even though it sometimes bites me in the rear end I'm still willing to take a stand to protect someone.

This is most commonly a problem on D1, imo, and it's very unlikely to be strongly convinced of anything D1 to make no-lynch the better option

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

The Nuns of Nolaisko have been attacked. Will you come to their rescue?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Asiina posted:

Here's another idea: a game where if there's a no lynch, everyone becomes Hated until there is a lynch. Option A: stack levels of Hated, not that you'd really need to. Option B: have only people who didn't vote, or who voted for the lynch leader, become Hated.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
If you're doing that you might as well be running plurality

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Gonna call a semi-hiatus on my hunger games thing for now. I'll pick at the items/flavor during the soldiers game and see if I'm happy with it after.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I have an idea for a game called Lover Mafia where everyone is lovers with someone else. At first I thought it would have to be same-alignment lovers but I think that balance swings pro-town, so it would all be unconfirmed.

Everyone would have their own individual roles but would then die if their partner dies, and vice versa.

Has this been done before? Are there any obvious pitfalls I'd have to balance against that I can't think of?

Thanks.

E: Oh isn't the term for unconfirmed lovers siblings? I could make it sibling mafia and that flavor would write itself. Cool.

George Kansas fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 2, 2015

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Does the town in a scum-town pair win if their scumbuddy wins at the end? What happens on the final day when there are 4 players left and someone has to vote to kill their lover?

How does the math work?
16 player game, 12 players at the beginning of D2, 8 on D3, 4 on D4?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Well first of all with even 14 people, that makes D2 LYLO.

If you make it true random and 2 scum are paired together, that drastically balances against scum, so you'd need to have a system where the 3 scum are randomly paired with 3 town and then remaining town is paired with each other. This balances pretty heavily towards scum since they can take out two town at night while town can only take out 1 scum per day. It feels like it would be hard to balance either way

I can see some interesting dynamics if say a cop was paired with a scum they could safely hold onto their results since they know they won't be nightkilled. You'd also need to figure out how doctors worked and who they saved.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Balance for everything being double. Consider each pair as a single entity as far as determining game length. That is, make it a 26 player game if you were going to make a standard 13 player game. Otherwise it'll be over quick. eg. 14 Day 1, 10 Day 2, 6 Day 3. Used 14 because of even-ness. Scum could win after 2 mis-executes, with a 3 person scum team.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

Does the town in a scum-town pair win if their scumbuddy wins at the end?

Nope.

Pinterest Mom posted:

What happens on the final day when there are 4 players left and someone has to vote to kill their lover?

If it were 3 town vs 1 scum they'd have to figure out which pair is more likely to have the scum. It'd be suicidal LYLO basically.

Pinterest Mom posted:

How does the math work?
16 player game, 12 players at the beginning of D2, 8 on D3, 4 on D4?

It'd have to be a big game. I'd probably have to do something with the NK's. Maybe make it a nightless game?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Asiina posted:

Well first of all with even 14 people, that makes D2 LYLO.

If you make it true random and 2 scum are paired together, that drastically balances against scum, so you'd need to have a system where the 3 scum are randomly paired with 3 town and then remaining town is paired with each other. This balances pretty heavily towards scum since they can take out two town at night while town can only take out 1 scum per day. It feels like it would be hard to balance either way

I can see some interesting dynamics if say a cop was paired with a scum they could safely hold onto their results since they know they won't be nightkilled. You'd also need to figure out how doctors worked and who they saved.

That is very true. I'd have to think pretty hard about just the person to person ratio.

Man this is immediately more complicated than I thought!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

No Victory Buddies Asiina.

Hmm,

4 no scum pairs, 3 1 scum pairs. If you mis-execute, you're 2/3. then if you do execute you're 1/2, then 0/1 and scum win. It's D1 LYLO with 14 players.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Maybe a temple game where both people die instead of just one? And with more pairings?

Temple: Sudden Death Mode?

In my head that'd be pretty cool.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

What's another informed minority/uninformed minority game that isn't mafia or resistance? Or a different win/loss mechanic to either. Cult games are technically different but not what i'm looking for.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Amoeba102 posted:

What's another informed minority/uninformed minority game that isn't mafia or resistance? Or a different win/loss mechanic to either. Cult games are technically different but not what i'm looking for.
Two Rooms and a Boom?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Amoeba102 posted:

No Victory Buddies Asiina.

Hmm,

4 no scum pairs, 3 1 scum pairs. If you mis-execute, you're 2/3. then if you do execute you're 1/2, then 0/1 and scum win. It's D1 LYLO with 14 players.

Yeah, not talking about victory buddies, but that if you are paired with a scum you're not getting NK'd. If I'm a cop the first person I'm investigating is my lover. If they are scum I know I can safely hold onto that result because I'm not ever getting NK'd. Then if I'm ever in danger of getting lynched or if I find a second scum, I can reveal all my results at once. Even if town doesn't believe me they can lynch me and kill my scum-lover anyway which proves me right.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

How do you work that for pbp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Asiina posted:

Yeah, not talking about victory buddies,

Yeah, meant PMom.