Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

It zooms though, I used to fly it quite a bit and just flipped a coin to see if it'd function long enough to make a flight on any given day. Here's a visual approach I did into Waco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQJuSOWTEt8

Nice flying. Smoooooothhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

gigButt posted:

Nice flying. Smoooooothhhh

Hey thanks. Of course, I don't normally record my lovely landings, but I assure you I've made plenty.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Hey thanks. Of course, I don't normally record my lovely landings, but I assure you I've made plenty.

Is the sound on that video representative of the actual product? because that engine noise would be un-bearable to me

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Jonny Nox posted:

Is the sound on that video representative of the actual product? because that engine noise would be un-bearable to me

It's a recording of an in-game FSX replay. FSX replays have jittery playback, sound stuttering, and glitchy animations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Booted up FSX for the first time in forever and did a short flight in the Jetstream. I kinda forgot how to use the autopilot (ie set the IAS to the ideal climb speed and let the plane sort it out) but I still managed to pull the most ridiculously smooth buttery landing in the wind and rain.

Then I loaded up air hauler, hacked my save and gave me 999,999,999 dolleryoos so I could buy and MD-11 and start hauling. :getin:

Welp time to boot up TOPCAT.

The Ferret King posted:

The best is that Il-2 landing you pulled that you have in your channel. :stare:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I bought the Citation X. Holy poo poo is it fast.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

EvilJoven posted:

I bought the Citation X. Holy poo poo is it fast.

Welcome to jets.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I just ordered a laptop with a GTX970M and a 3.5 Ghz Broadwell i7-5700 and a 17" IPS monitor. I do have a 240GB SSD I'm putting in, but I plan on doing the game installs on the 1TB 7200RPM drive.

That should be a decent enough rig for hotel siming if I want, shouldn't it?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

yes, almost as good as my desktop.

Devil's Canyon i7-4790K, Radeon R9 270X

I've found little difference in FSX performance between an SSD and a 7200RPM drive.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The best way to improve performance is to drop scenery complexity. I finally caved and did this because my updated CYWG combined with the Citation was a bit too much.

The frame rates I've achieved by sacrificing a few buildings :stare:

Also the Citation owns.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

The frame rates I've achieved by sacrificing a few buildings :stare:

:my Emerson:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

McDeth posted:

:my Emerson:

I'll admit when I dropped it to low mybfirst thought was 'holy poo poo framerate, but there's no buildings...' and then immediately bumped it up a few notches.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks. I am hoping I won't have to drop too much because I thought that was pretty beefy, so I guess we will see. It was an extra $650 to go with a 980M and I thought that was a little steep for 1080p gaming.

aksledhead
Dec 30, 2008
gently caress my memory... but wasn't a well known developer making Salt Lake City, KSLC?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

aksledhead posted:

gently caress my memory... but wasn't a well known developer making Salt Lake City, KSLC?

PacSim

http://www.airdailyx.net/fsnewsbreaker/2014/12/26/pacsim-kslc-production-has-begun

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, I've been told that I need to clean up some of the room my hobbies take... and to be fair I should. I am a pack-rat and keep tons of stuff and rarely dump old stuff, so I've been on a steady increase of "stuff" my entire adult life.

Hence, where I am now: I have boxed PC boxed copies of tons of games/sims (most mint) but I am hesitant on turfing them. Is there any value to them at all or should I just ruthlessly turf games/sims that I know are available digitally now?

I have tons of boxed games which I don't think I can even get digitally (B-17, Screaming Demons, various others from mid 90s+) but what have you guys done presumably you've been in a similar situation?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Get a hard drive and rip the cds as iso files then mount them to play if needed. Put the disks in a cd binder and books in a binder or on a shelf, further reduce by finding .pdfs of game boojs and store those digitally and pitch the hard copy ones maybe keeping just the key bindings handy.

You can get a 1tb HD for somewhere around 70bux

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I saved the optical media, copied the magnetic stuff to optical (:corsair:), saved the books, and trashed the boxes. My collection was pretty instantly one-third the size.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
I realised I would never play games from <1999 at least and threw them all away.
Get over it and just do it. It's terribly liberating.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Get rid of anything you'd need an emulator or dosbox or dualboot to run. Youll spend a ton of time trying to get it running only to find that it wasn't as good as you remembered.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

EvilJoven posted:

Get rid of anything you'd need an emulator or dosbox or dualboot to run. Youll spend a ton of time trying to get it running only to find that it wasn't as good as you remembered.

Unless the game is Aces of the Pacific where I can assert that that game is exactly as good as you remember it. Apart for it sending you on patrols without enough fuel.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Me and my wife took all old games, movies, albums and poo poo and trashed them in big boxes. We agreed to only use Steam, Spotify, iTunes, Netflix and Amazon. It was so insanely liberating to do and realistically that old stuff wasn't going to get used ever again.

You can also tale pictures of your set and list it up so that someone who brings you a box of takeout food can have it all with the condition that they take it all, thus moving the problem away but not destroying legacy media.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
So P3D v3 comes out on wednesday, and the only new feature for $60 is loving 3d walkaround.

Thanks LM.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

SybilVimes posted:

So P3D v3 comes out on wednesday, and the only new feature for $60 is loving 3d walkaround.

Thanks LM.

Does the back end offer improvements? Is it 64 bit?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

Does the back end offer improvements? Is it 64 bit?

Some bug fixes in the backend, and one other new feature, 18 speedtree trees, wooo

no 64bit
no DX12

here's the list of changes:

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/what_is_new/new_v30.html

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
And they want me to pay for this when I already have 2.5?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

Me and my wife took all old games, movies, albums and poo poo and trashed them in big boxes.

I did this a couple of years ago, except I listed them on craigslist as "mystery boxes". I got rid of all the trash in my house in about 30 minutes and didn't even have to make a trip to the landfill. I have a couple of SD cards and USB thumb drives for moving stuff around offline but I have to leave them plugged in to adapters/usb hubs so I don't lose them.

Everything else, including steam(!!*) lives on a 16 bay mirrored file server in the closet now. I'm only using three bays (3x2TB)right now and 4TB drives are under $200 so I expect to keep the chassis for a very long time. Modern haswell CPU means you don't have to worry about ventilating the closet.

*Steam allows you to install games to network drives now, provided you give them a mount point like S:\ ... I reccomend gig-e or bonded gig-e though.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 29, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Can you even buy DCS A-10 Warthog anymore? I had it on my Steam wishlist until they removed the store page so of course now it sits at #1 ahead of Arkham Knight (which unlike Warthog has no excuse for being unpurchaseable).

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Can you even buy DCS A-10 Warthog anymore? I had it on my Steam wishlist until they removed the store page so of course now it sits at #1 ahead of Arkham Knight (which unlike Warthog has no excuse for being unpurchaseable).

Of course you can, just now it's a DLC module for DCS World:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/245810/

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
They also just announced that DCS 1.5 WILL be released in September (at least the open beta, anyways...)

Half-Life 3 what?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

And they want me to pay for this when I already have 2.5?

Supposedly it also improved memory management to the point where it was extremely difficult for the testers to get it to OOM. We will see though.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

I know people throw these sorts of things in the trash all the time because it's hard to find much on eBay, but it's worse to actually see people talk about it :cry:

Did Jane's F-15 come with a good manual? I just got some kind of budget CD-only version of it.

Ichbinuber
Feb 3, 2014

Buttcoin purse posted:

Did Jane's F-15 come with a good manual? I just got some kind of budget CD-only version of it.

Yeh it did come with a good manual, I have it still somewhere. Almost makes me want to dig through packing boxes.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I love that LM have saved up every new feature they've been working on for two years to dump in a "new" product. Can't wait for v4.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Edit: I am dumb

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Daimo posted:

I love that LM have saved up every new feature they've been working on for two years to dump in a "new" product. Can't wait for v4.

I'd wager it'll be a yearly thing now, so expect v4 next september (which might make paying double for the developer license actually attractive).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Buttcoin purse posted:

I know people throw these sorts of things in the trash all the time because it's hard to find much on eBay, but it's worse to actually see people talk about it :cry:

I haven't thrown away anything yet. I might go through and actually inventory/decide this weekend.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Anyone decide to get P3d V3.0 yet?

:lol:

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

1.5 patch is out now too. its night and day, so much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Keep in mind that it is an actual open beta and not a free to play perpetual open beta bullshit. So there are plenty of bugs to go around.