Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lum posted:

When I click a link that would open a new tab, tree style tab used to open it as a child tab, now it opens it right at the bottom of the tab list. Any idea how I get the old behaviour back?

Double check your settings because it still works normally for me now that it's working at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Firefox used to have some extensions which turned multiple pages into a single, easily scrollable, one. They were called AutoPager Fixed and AutoPagerize. Neither work anymore.

Does anyone know of some good alternatives?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

Double check your settings because it still works normally for me now that it's working at all.

Have been through them. Can't find whatever setting is causing this.

I'm using the latest TST nightly from 25th September, but this was an issue in previous versions too.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
browser.search.showOneOffButtons set to false no longer brings back the old Search box behaviour in Firefox 43. Anyone know if there's a different switch I can throw? I've tried to get used to the new behaviour but it's messing with over a decade of muscle memory.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
The beta version of CTR seems to address this, try checking it out if you haven't.

Classic Theme Restorer v1.4.1beta1
[new option > General UI (1)] Fx43+: Old Search (experimental)
--> http://i.imgur.com/FxuFPtg.png
-- old 'search manager window' does not get restored by this (use search configuration in about :preferences#search area)

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Firefox used to have some extensions which turned multiple pages into a single, easily scrollable, one. They were called AutoPager Fixed and AutoPagerize. Neither work anymore.
Does anyone know of some good alternatives?

I use Clearly, and don't know how I'd get along without it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

browser.search.showOneOffButtons set to false no longer brings back the old Search box behaviour in Firefox 43. Anyone know if there's a different switch I can throw? I've tried to get used to the new behaviour but it's messing with over a decade of muscle memory.

Wow, that's a bummer. Back when I tried it, the newer search UI seemed very hurried and incomplete, so I disabled it with that preference. Looking at its original tracking bug now, I understand why - it was hurried and incomplete. :)

I hope they've improved it since then.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Im_Special posted:

The beta version of CTR seems to address this, try checking it out if you haven't.

Classic Theme Restorer v1.4.1beta1
[new option > General UI (1)] Fx43+: Old Search (experimental)
--> http://i.imgur.com/FxuFPtg.png
-- old 'search manager window' does not get restored by this (use search configuration in about :preferences#search area)

Thanks, it brings back the old Search behaviour but it adds about 10 seconds onto the startup time for Firefox.

Ah well.

Bokito
Jul 25, 2007
Going Ape
41.0.1 is out

quote:

Fixed

Startup crash in mozilla::layers::CompositorD3D11::GetTextureFactoryIdentifier()
Changing properties of a new bookmark while adding it acts on the last bookmark in the current container
Firefox hangs with flash plugins
Startup crash in nsStyleSet::GatherRuleProcessors(nsStyleSet::sheetType) possibly related to Yandex toolbar and Adblock Plus
Crash in mozilla::gl::GLBlitHelper::BlitImageToTexture

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

So every so often the hamburger menu button (yeah I know, I'm a casual user) quits working. I click on it and nothing happens; the menu doesn't pop up. I can still access the menu via the alt key, but the hamburger button doesn't return to normal until after a browser restart. Anyone happen to know what's up with that?

I want to say this started happening with Firefox 41. It was pretty recent.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So apparently the Waterfox guy is planning to keep XUL and XPCOM.

Thank gently caress for that. Really didn't want to mess with Pale Moon in order to keep Tree Style Tab. Also means that the project will remain relevant once official x64 Firefox finally drops.

https://www.reddit.com/r/waterfox/comments/3n53aa/will_waterfox_drop_xul_and_xpcom/

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Lum posted:

So apparently the Waterfox guy is planning to keep XUL and XPCOM.

Thank gently caress for that. Really didn't want to mess with Pale Moon in order to keep Tree Style Tab. Also means that the project will remain relevant once official x64 Firefox finally drops.

https://www.reddit.com/r/waterfox/comments/3n53aa/will_waterfox_drop_xul_and_xpcom/

This is a great example of a moron spouting random poo poo to trick people into thinking his product is relevant. Not only is there no indication that Tree Style Tab will be impossible to implement with WebExtensions, support for it is literally in the design document.

XUL will also be supported to some degree for years, most likely. However, bits will gradually be moving to HTML (I think the New Tab page is changing soon). It's not like the browser is going to switch overnight and force all the add-on devs to play catchup.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 4, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I think at the last update to the stable channel, Firefox no longer opens PDFs in a tab; instead, it automatically downloads them. What do I need to look into to change this back?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

hooah posted:

I think at the last update to the stable channel, Firefox no longer opens PDFs in a tab; instead, it automatically downloads them. What do I need to look into to change this back?

Are you sure this happens with all PDFs? Some sites set Content-Disposition to "attachment" for PDFs, which tells Firefox that it should always try to download the file.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
You can change it by going to Options > Applications and then finding where the PDF line is and setting it what you want.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Gorilla Salad posted:

You can change it by going to Options > Applications and then finding where the PDF line is and setting it what you want.

Somehow this got set to save. I must have changed that at some point, but I don't remember. I noticed because PDFs from my class websites started saving whereas before they would preview in FF. Thanks!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

EDIT: Never mind, Ubuntu officially deprecated the thing I was using to make HTML5 H.264 work.

Sigh.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 7, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I am also having a pdf issue with FF.

I have it setup as my default viewer, but whenever I open a file, FF opens up with endless tabs in some sort of loop... presumably keeps trying to open and reopen the pdf in the viewer and I have to exit firefox to stop it.

This happens whether I double click a PDF or open it from within FF.

Ideas on what's happening?

Running 41.0.1

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

slidebite posted:

I am also having a pdf issue with FF.

If you're lucky you may be able to fix it by going to your Firefox profile folder and renaming/deleting mimeTypes.rdf. It'll create a new one that'll reset all those settings to default and maybe fix your problem if it got corrupted somehow. (If you rename it, you can always just restore the file if it didn't work.)

That was how I fixed my Firefox always wanting to download SWF files, at least.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
So did non-Origin version of uBlock just stop? It hasn't been updated in a few months.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Looks like the guy who owns it wandered off to make his own thing for IOS.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

GrizzlyCow posted:

So did non-Origin version of uBlock just stop? It hasn't been updated in a few months.

It recently updated, but it was a really sparse update. I figured it was time to switch to Origin after all.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Geemer posted:

It recently updated, but it was a really sparse update. I figured it was time to switch to Origin after all.

Last commit was in August.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Huh weird. AMO's review process must be really behind then, because it pushed version 0.9.3.5 to me on September 30th. But then when I look at the site, it says its date is April 19th...
:psyduck:

Whatever, at least Origin isn't being left to die.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Geemer posted:

If you're lucky you may be able to fix it by going to your Firefox profile folder and renaming/deleting mimeTypes.rdf. It'll create a new one that'll reset all those settings to default and maybe fix your problem if it got corrupted somehow. (If you rename it, you can always just restore the file if it didn't work.)

That was how I fixed my Firefox always wanting to download SWF files, at least.

So, uh, where is the FF profiles kept as default? I can't find it anywhere.. and a search of that file doesn't turn up anything :(

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Geemer posted:

Huh weird. AMO's review process must be really behind then, because it pushed version 0.9.3.5 to me on September 30th. But then when I look at the site, it says its date is April 19th...

Yeah, AMO isn't even remotely equipped to handle their new signing policy.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

slidebite posted:

So, uh, where is the FF profiles kept as default? I can't find it anywhere.. and a search of that file doesn't turn up anything :(

If you go to about :support (no space), there's an entry Profile Folder, with a Show Folder button, clicking on that brings up an explorer window with your profile folder.

Alternately: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<some string>.default for Windows 7.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

slidebite posted:

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\mozilla\firefox\Profiles

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks guys, found it, deleted it, still does it. :(

I'll try a fresh install of it tonight and see if that does it.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, AMO isn't even remotely equipped to handle their new signing policy.

The new signing policy didn't change the review process at all, as far as I know. It just makes it so you have to get a review, even if you offer your add-on off-site. In fact, part of the goal (not sure how far along it is) is to increase the automation for reviews so that the reviewers have less work to do. I have a fair amount of experience submitting add-ons for review (granted, for Thunderbird), and I haven't seen an increase in the length of the queues recently. That's not to say that the queues are great, but it doesn't take anywhere near six months for a review, especially not if it's a relatively small set of changes. My experience is more like a week or two.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Geemer posted:

Well, the only reason I was using uBlock was because it offered Palemoon support, but uBlock Origin does that now too, so . . .

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GrizzlyCow posted:

Well, the only reason I was using uBlock was because it offered Palemoon support, but uBlock Origin does that now too, so . . .

What did Pale Moon break such that it needs specialty support now? All the other big forks run regular addons fine.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
It mostly has to do with the fact that Palemoon doesn't use Australis. Some addons simply don't work without Firefox's new interface. For Adblock Plus/Edge, that meant that the icon didn't work, but the rest of the addon worked fine. uBlock used to have the same problem.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

dis astranagant posted:

Last commit was in August.

And that one doesn't even really count. The last time he committed something that was actually significant was May.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

FWIW, I did a full uninstall and deleted that userapp data, and seemed to be fine on the reinstall.

Thanks for the info on the hidden folder.

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006

Fangs404 posted:

And that one doesn't even really count. The last time he committed something that was actually significant was May.

He set up a web site! (asking for donations).

e: Become a uBlock Gold supporter for $499 a month!

Implied Consent fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 18, 2015

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

Implied Consent posted:

e: Become a uBlock Gold supporter for $499 a month!

*not a typo

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Well worth it for your name on the site, a framed certificate and a t-shirt imo.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Dead Goon posted:

Well worth it for your name on the site, a framed certificate and a t-shirt imo.
At this point, wouldn't that be equal to getting your heartfelt testimony as to his totally honest intentions in a Nigerian-prince email?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Is there something you need to enable to get Netflix running native under Firefox on Windows? I've read a bunch of articles saying that it was coming earlier in the year, but Firefox still wants me to install Silverlight. I'm on 41.0.2 and would love to fully ditch Chrome here.