Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Two things:

Sting's promo when he 'leaves' the company was great. Him turning his back on the hard camera (AKA The Company) and addressing the fans directly is such a good visual that would never get used today.

Secondly, Easy E does a promo in one of the January 97 Nitros that was fantastic. It's him reclining on a Harley and just being amazingly smug. It might not have been a stretch for him for it was so well delivered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Halloween Jack posted:

Did Bret manage to do this in WCW? There was so much twisted logic involved in his time there nothing he did made any sense. I don't think he knew.

He wasn't overtly hostile. He even saved Sting from Hogan a few times, one of those times costing Hogan a chance at the a World Title shot at Fall Brawl.
Then the pheromones got to him and you know the rest.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ChrisBTY posted:

He wasn't overtly hostile. He even saved Sting from Hogan a few times, one of those times costing Hogan a chance at the a World Title shot at Fall Brawl.
Then the pheromones got to him and you know the rest.

Pheromones?

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

stink secretes pheromones that make everyone near him wanna betray him

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

In case you live under a rock or for some reason only read this thread and nothing else, a list of WCW contract terms from May 2000 ended up on Scribd somehow.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/282738951/WCW-Talent-Contract-Database

Tank Abbott: The $650,000 Man.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

In case you live under a rock or for some reason only read this thread and nothing else, a list of WCW contract terms from May 2000 ended up on Scribd somehow.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/282738951/WCW-Talent-Contract-Database

Tank Abbott: The $650,000 Man.

This company was schedule to pay Roddy loving Piper 800,000 dollars in 2002. Jesus christ almighty.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

That's why people keep turning on Sting. They don't intend to at first, but Sting emits a unique pheromone that causes people to betray him.
That's why Bret turning on Sting made no sense. He didn't go down to the ring intending to betray Sting, he just got overwhelmed and then they had to run with it even though it made absolutely no sense and was the equivalent of burning down your house so you have an excuse to clog your neighbor's toilet.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Akileese posted:

This company was schedule to pay Roddy loving Piper 800,000 dollars in 2002. Jesus christ almighty.

$800,000 for 6 PPVs and 51 total dates. I just wish Hogan's contract details were on there.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i think my favorite is signing dustin runnels for $500,000 and the best idea they could come up with for such a price tag was 7even

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's fun to go through this list and look at all the people getting paid more than Ric Flair.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Swagger Dagger posted:

It's fun to go through this list and look at all the people getting paid more than Ric Flair.

In fairness, if he appeared on only 1 TV show a week & every PPV he'd have made $910,000. Pretty decent pay for working 1 or 2 days a week.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
David Flair 150,000 a year with a 1000 bonus for PPV

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

I'm shocked Jim Duggan was only making $175k a year.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The contract's effective 9/1/99, isn't that right when he came back from kidney cancer?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

SLUM KING posted:

I'm shocked Jim Duggan was only making $175k a year.

Being Hogan's friend only gets you so far, brother.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Yeah, it's post-cancer, but he was still wrestling and getting TV time. I figured friend of Hogan + 80's WWF star = getting a better contract than Ice Train, but no. Ice Train was set to make $250k in 2002! Amazing.

It's great to see that Disco was making more than Jarrett, Shane Douglas making more than Disco, and the Cat making more than any of them. $400,000 for Ernest Miller! I'm guessing he had a very attractive wife.

Was Ed Leslie gone in 2000 or did Hogan get him a contract with Turner.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

A little more context - this is AFTER one round of cost cutting in August '99. Notice all the contracts that got renegotiated around September except for the top big contracts like the Outsiders. There's another round of cost cutting in late 2000.

Leslie was gone in late '99. The Cat was one of Bischoff's best friends so of course he made shitloads.

I don't know what Paul paid Shane (he still complains to this day about Paul owing him $100,000) but Bischoff was throwing huge contracts at ECW guys to get them away when the ECW money faucet started drying up. I think Sandman and Mikey Whipwreck made $250,000 each and Shane was in theory worth a bit more than that.

Jeff Jarrett I think took a huge pay cut for WCW to take him back.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

DrVenkman posted:

Secondly, Easy E does a promo in one of the January 97 Nitros that was fantastic. It's him reclining on a Harley and just being amazingly smug. It might not have been a stretch for him for it was so well delivered.

Isn't that the promo WWE always uses when they go over the history of WCW and make fun of Bischoff for being too full of himself?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

dsriggs posted:

In fairness, if he appeared on only 1 TV show a week & every PPV he'd have made $910,000. Pretty decent pay for working 1 or 2 days a week.
It's true that Ric Flair wasn't used much and certainly wasn't used well in WCW. But he was making half a mil to be written off TV. If WCW had used Flair well and put him on TV more often, he certainly would have been involved in some memorable matches and segments, and his presence would have made for a very different, and likely much more successful, WCW. But on the other hand, more matches probably would have meant a shorter career; he probably would have been forced to wrap it up in the '00s and never would have wrestled in TNA and, uh, you know what, forget I said anything.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I wish I appreciated Flair more at the time, but I was younger and all I had to go off of was terrible WCW stuff.

It's the same with Terry Funk, now that I think about it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

reading this after Bischoff's interview on Flair's podcast is just awesome. That and almost running off the road laughing so hard at Bischoff acting like he didn't know who JJ Dillon was.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

triplexpac posted:

Isn't that the promo WWE always uses when they go over the history of WCW and make fun of Bischoff for being too full of himself?

It might be? It's his 'It feels good to be king' promo. Him being too full of himself is entirely the point, but he was great at it.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Please tell me Buffer's salary is in there somewhere

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Halloween Jack posted:

It's true that Ric Flair wasn't used much and certainly wasn't used well in WCW. But he was making half a mil to be written off TV. If WCW had used Flair well and put him on TV more often, he certainly would have been involved in some memorable matches and segments, and his presence would have made for a very different, and likely much more successful, WCW. But on the other hand, more matches probably would have meant a shorter career; he probably would have been forced to wrap it up in the '00s and never would have wrestled in TNA and, uh, you know what, forget I said anything.

That would not stop him from owing everyone money.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

haljordan posted:

Please tell me Buffer's salary is in there somewhere

Did he have a salary? I assumed he was paid per appearance.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

We established he was paid $3858603758 per syllable.

I think in reality it was $25,000 per appearance.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, I don't think this captures what they were paying Buffer or Master P. (And it's missing some guys like Swoll, who I'm pretty sure only had a fat contract in WCW because he was friends with P.)

I love that this comes from the era of Lieutenant Loco, Corporal Cajun, and General Hugh G. Rection. Not to mention Berlyn and the KISS Demon.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 29, 2015

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Super Dan posted:

Did he have a salary? I assumed he was paid per appearance.

He was getting around half a million per year, about 50 appearances per year.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 29, 2015

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I bet Chucky was pulling down at least $200,000

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I want to know Robocop's appearance fee.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the nitro girls got hosed on paydays considering they had to be at every show

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I want to know Robocop's appearance fee.

I wonder if they had to fork over a bunch of money to whoever owned the rights to the character (movie studio that released the movies or w/e)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

haljordan posted:

I wonder if they had to fork over a bunch of money to whoever owned the rights to the character (movie studio that released the movies or w/e)

It was foisted upon them by Turner who bought the distribution rights to Robocop 1 and 2 for TBS.

Reminder that (Jim Cornette claims) it was Peter loving Weller in the suit at the PPV.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Orion Pictures was under the Warner umbrella.

Reminder that (Jim Cornette claims) it was Peter loving Weller in the suit at the PPV.

Because Peter Weller would otherwise have had a packed schedule?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

haljordan posted:

it was cross promotion with robocop 2, which came out a month after the ppv

I'd think that very little money actually changed hands

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Ahhh ok I didn't realize Turner had the rights.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Even if they did pay up for it, it's loving Robocop. There are much worse ways WCW spent it's money.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

It was foisted upon them by Turner who bought the distribution rights to Robocop 1 and 2 for TBS.

Ehhhhhh. Robocop 2 wasn't out, and Robocop 1 had already been out for 3 years, so that doesn't really pass the smell test

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ayn rand hand job posted:

Ehhhhhh. Robocop 2 wasn't out, and Robocop 1 had already been out for 3 years, so that doesn't really pass the smell test

There was a story that went with it, let me see if I can dig up the mailbag where he talked about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
lol@ the marks who believe Ric Flair's "Jim Herd wanted me to be Spartacus" story when that movie was 30 years old and Spartacus 2 wasn't out