Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

ddogflex posted:

Currently, the 64GB 6S is $99 down, then $26 a month with a $7 credit making it functionally $19/m. For the 7 it's going to be whatever they're charging at the time, most likely the $26 a month, unless they do another promo like they are now.

Huh. When I looked at the website, I didn't see anything about a $7 credit. Though ultimately, I'm more concerned with that up-front down payment, less the fancy deals they have going on. It changes the calculus on whether or not it's worth actually upgrading my phone each year.

If I have a phone on AT&T that's no longer on the subsidy contract, I should be able to bring it over to T-Mobile no problems, right? Or will I have to trade it in and buy a new phone from T-Mobile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Axiem posted:

If I have a phone on AT&T that's no longer on the subsidy contract, I should be able to bring it over to T-Mobile no problems, right? Or will I have to trade it in and buy a new phone from T-Mobile?

I just did this today! You'll need to unlock your phone, take it to T-Mobile, they'll run a quick credit check, then give them your AT&T account number and PIN to port your number. They'll pop your new sim into your phone and you're good to go, easy peasy.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!

Jedi425 posted:

What. Is this for real? Seriously, why would anyone not upgrade at that price?

There must be a catch, like you forfeit any trade-in value left on your old phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Axiem posted:

Huh. When I looked at the website, I didn't see anything about a $7 credit. Though ultimately, I'm more concerned with that up-front down payment, less the fancy deals they have going on. It changes the calculus on whether or not it's worth actually upgrading my phone each year.

Att.com/deviceunlock

Takes like, 2 hours for them to approve it normally, although it can take longer. Then you can pop in the T-Mobile SIM card and be good to go.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!

ryangs posted:

There must be a catch, like you forfeit any trade-in value left on your old phone.

That is indeed the catch. So it's not a good deal if you're trading in an iPhone 6, but it's a better deal if you're trading in a 5s or older. The really interesting part is "almost any other phone." Like I could bring in a real old clunker to trade in just to get the discount?

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Axiem posted:

Huh. When I looked at the website, I didn't see anything about a $7 credit.

It's in the FAQ section at the bottom of this page:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Question:

I currently have an iPhone 5S on AT&T, and I got it back with the grandfathered unlimited internet plan. My contract is up (I own my phone), and I'm just paying month-to-month at $90 / month (unlimited data, texts, some minutes that I don't care about).

I've been debating switching over to AT&T since ~MY FIANCEE~ is moving into the area soon and she will need a brand new phone contract (with or without a new phone, she also has a 5S and hasn't decided if she will upgrade). It would appear that we could get a family plan, both of us having unlimited data, for $140 ($80 and $60, respectively)?

Another thing is that she travels to Europe a few times a year, and it would appear that the countries listed are on the international data list. Does that mean that we would have unlimited data in those countries at no additional cost (albeit slower than normal speeds)? Is there some sort of price benefit for making regular calls from the US to Europe?

I'm not a disgruntled AT&T user (I've never had a problem with them), it just seems that T-Mobile is a bit more competitive now. I live in Portland, and I only really operate in major cities so I don't think coverage will be a problem, unless someone knows something I don't.

Also, question on this chart:

Does this mean that if I trade in an iPhone 5S, I can get an iPhone 6S for $10/mo (for 24 months), with a 2-year contract with T-Mobile?

edit: I went into a T-Mobile, they confirmed everything here. The answer is yes.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 24, 2015

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

PRADA SLUT posted:

Question:

I currently have an iPhone 5S on AT&T, and I got it back with the grandfathered unlimited internet plan. My contract is up (I own my phone), and I'm just paying month-to-month at $90 / month (unlimited data, texts, some minutes that I don't care about).

I've been debating switching over to AT&T since ~MY FIANCEE~ is moving into the area soon and she will need a brand new phone contract (with or without a new phone, she also has a 5S and hasn't decided if she will upgrade). It would appear that we could get a family plan, both of us having unlimited data, for $140 ($80 and $60, respectively)?

Another thing is that she travels to Europe a few times a year, and it would appear that the countries listed are on the international data list. Does that mean that we would have unlimited data in those countries at no additional cost (albeit slower than normal speeds)? Is there some sort of price benefit for making regular calls from the US to Europe?

I'm not a disgruntled AT&T user (I've never had a problem with them), it just seems that T-Mobile is a bit more competitive now. I live in Portland, and I only really operate in major cities so I don't think coverage will be a problem, unless someone knows something I don't.

Also, question on this chart:

Does this mean that if I trade in an iPhone 5S, I can get an iPhone 6S for $10/mo (for 24 months), with a 2-year contract with T-Mobile?

edit: I went into a T-Mobile, they confirmed everything here. The answer is yes.

I live in Portland and switched from AT&T to T-Mobile a year ago.

The coverage IS NOT as good. It's mostly just fine, but there are spots where I drop signal. Supposedly this will be better on the 6S due to it having band 12 support though. Apparently T-Mobile owns a whole shitload of band 12 in the PNW.

Either way though, T-Mobile is fine and definitely worth the price savings. I'm paying ~half as much with them.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'll be paying :10bux: less a month, plus I'll be able to add MY FINANCEE to a family plan for an extra $60, so we'll have two unlimited plans for $140 (with like free international data and poo poo which will get used).

This, as opposed to just getting her a different plan on (somewhere) and paying $80-$100 for her (on top of the $90 for me), and then the extra for international data roaming, tethering, etc.

It would seem like the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, but I've heard T-Mobile's network coverage just isn't close to competitive with ATT / Verizon.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ddogflex posted:

I live in Portland and switched from AT&T to T-Mobile a year ago.

The coverage IS NOT as good. It's mostly just fine, but there are spots where I drop signal. Supposedly this will be better on the 6S due to it having band 12 support though. Apparently T-Mobile owns a whole shitload of band 12 in the PNW.

Either way though, T-Mobile is fine and definitely worth the price savings. I'm paying ~half as much with them.

I find coverage especially frustrating on I-5 between the large metro areas, including up to the Canadian border. I can understand not as much coverage in rural areas, but this is the Northwest equivalent of the Beltway, I hate having iffy data coverage on a major highway.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

monster on a stick posted:

I find coverage especially frustrating on I-5 between the large metro areas, including up to the Canadian border. I can understand not as much coverage in rural areas, but this is the Northwest equivalent of the Beltway, I hate having iffy data coverage on a major highway.

Yeah I went to the Ducks game on Saturday (first time driving that far south since being on T-Mobile) and there were several spots where I had NO coverage. On loving I-5. Pretty frustrating because they were work calls. But that is exactly what the band 12 poo poo is supposed to help, so we shall see!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Did T-Mobile quietly remove their Test Drive signup page off of their website? I signed up for the waiting list a little over 2 weeks ago, came back to the website today on a whim and noticed that the page isn't there and any search engines redirect to the

T-Mobile Test Drive FAQ posted:

Important: Test Drive has ended and will be replaced with an upcoming program.

Welp, looks like I signed up exactly a week before the program ended. Any news on what it's going to be replaced with?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Someone on Reddit broke down the pricing for each phone and its trade in value

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/3m09z1/new_iphone_6splus_jump_on_demand_promo_charts/

Trying to figure out if I have this correct...

Wife has a 5s 16GB. Wants to trade it in for a 6s 64GB. The $750 MSRP gets reduced to $444, essentially giving her a trade in value of $306 since she paid $650 for it?

The highest bid I see right now for that model on eBay is $310. Does that mean this is actually a decent deal? I find this hard to believe.

Edit: To clarify, it seems like a great deal if you have an iPhone with the lowest storage size since they don't give you an added trade in value for having more storage. Paying $100 more for an old phone with the next tier up in storage doesn't get you a bigger trade in value.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 25, 2015

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What happens if, after 18 months is up, you don't want to trade in your phone for and upgrade? I know you can pay the purchase price (the difference between the retail price and how much you've paid monthly) and own the phone outright, but what happens if you don't want to purchase it, and don't want to trade it in? Can you continue to use it for the $X a month you were already paying (assuming the extra you pay goes toward lowering the purchase price), or are you forced to trade it in?

edit: Does Apple Music (radio) count toward your bandwidth?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 25, 2015

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

PRADA SLUT posted:

What happens if, after 18 months is up, you don't want to trade in your phone for and upgrade? I know you can pay the purchase price (the difference between the retail price and how much you've paid monthly) and own the phone outright, but what happens if you don't want to purchase it, and don't want to trade it in? Can you continue to use it for the $X a month you were already paying (assuming the extra you pay goes toward lowering the purchase price), or are you forced to trade it in?

From what I understand when the 18 month lease is up you have to turn it in and get another phone, or do the purchase option and pay off the remainder of the phone. You can't just pay the $5/mo indefinitely. They want you do trade in your phone at some point, after which you will lose the introductory pricing have to pay the full price of Jump on Demand.

The plus side is that these deals seem to lower the total cost of ownership for those that have some restraint and hold onto their phone for more than a year.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Apple Music is part of Music Freedom, so doesn't count.

The way the JOD agreement is written, you have to pay the purchase option price. However, T-M employees indicate they've been told that customers will be allowed to pay the purchase option price in installments too, even though that isn't listed in the contract. I'd assume the smallest installment price they'll let you pay is the monthly payment in your JOD agreement (the one without any credits.)

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Weird question - Is it possible to take advantage of the lower Jump On Demand pricing but pay all up front? I'm on a shared business plan and would like to take advantage of the pricing, but it can't be charged to the bill.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

clockworx posted:

Weird question - Is it possible to take advantage of the lower Jump On Demand pricing but pay all up front? I'm on a shared business plan and would like to take advantage of the pricing, but it can't be charged to the bill.

The lower price comes on the form of monthly credits. The complete discount isn’t observed until you’ve made 18 monthly payments. No way to get the JoD discount by paying the phone off early.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

ddogflex posted:

But that is exactly what the band 12 poo poo is supposed to help, so we shall see!

My LG G4 is compatible with band 12, and is in fact my first phone that is. I notice that my coverage strength/area has gotten noticeably better. The beach I visit with my fiancee and my work are two places I've never gotten coverage (gently caress knows why in the latter case), but with this phone I get an actually pretty strong signal.

edit: I applied to two T-Mobile stores and I really really wanna work for T-Mobile, if I get an interview does anybody have some tips on how to kill it :ohdear:

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 28, 2015

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Daily Forecast posted:

My LG G4 is compatible with band 12, and is in fact my first phone that is. I notice that my coverage strength/area has gotten noticeably better. The beach I visit with my fiancee and my work are two places I've never gotten coverage (gently caress knows why in the latter case), but with this phone I get an actually pretty strong signal.

edit: I applied to two T-Mobile stores and I really really wanna work for T-Mobile, if I get an interview does anybody have some tips on how to kill it :ohdear:

Just show that you're eager to sell you know the product. Not like in the weeds nerdshit just what makes you want to buy this expensive phone over this cheap phone.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

bobfather posted:

The lower price comes on the form of monthly credits. The complete discount isn’t observed until you’ve made 18 monthly payments. No way to get the JoD discount by paying the phone off early.

There's the catch... Was wondering what the deal was with that low total cost of ownership

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

LionYeti posted:

Just show that you're eager to sell you know the product. Not like in the weeds nerdshit just what makes you want to buy this expensive phone over this cheap phone.

So "This phone is good because big screen and stylus" and not "this phone is good because it doesn't use a snapdragon 810 which is for pleb idiots"

Got it.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Daily Forecast posted:

So "This phone is good because big screen and stylus" and not "this phone is good because it doesn't use a snapdragon 810 which is for pleb idiots"

Got it.

And like you can take a memo on the screen without unlocking it by just pulling the S Pen out and such features more then specs.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LionYeti posted:

I posted some advice a page or two back on applying. I forget if it was in response to you or someone else, but to make sure: you are aware that T-Mobile would be a sales job yes? So the best thing in the interview is to show sales and customer service abilities. And reminder that yo would have a quota to meet every month, which you are comfortable with?

If you haven't stopped by a store that you applied to to briefly introduce yourself, def do that (but for gods sake wear khakis and a polo, not Bermuda shorts).

How old are you, and how much experience do you have? Have you applied to just corporate, or to resellers as well? Corporate is better for sure, but sometimes if you don't have experience (and something like cashier at Krogers really doesn't count) you may have an easier time working for a reseller, then switching to corporate when you have more experience.

And finally: don't get me wrong, T-Mobile is fine, but why are you limiting yourself to just them? Apply to Verizon, ATT, Sprint, they all are pretty similar to start at.

Anyway, there's more, but it's probably a thread derail at this point. If you want further advice, feel free to message me, I've worked 6 years for every carrier but T-Mobile now, so I know what to do pretty well.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I'm so confused by the iPhone 6S pricing for Jump on Demand. Can anyone help clarify for me?

Here is the pricing:

https://explore.t-mobile.com/iphone-6s-and-iphone-6s-plus/why-t-mobile

I currently have Jump on Demand. I have an LG G4. Looking at that chart, in the fine print at the bottom, it says if you trade in an LG G4 you can get the same pricing as an iPhone 5s/ Note 4/ GS5 trade in. Does this count for me as well, since I have an LG G4 using JoD? Or is it for new people who are trading in a fully paid off LG G4 and just getting onto JoD?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Yeah I'm not sure I understand it either. I have Simple Choice ($50/mo) and an iPhone 6 64GB (~$27/mo).

If I trade in for a 6S 64GB, would I actually be paying less?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

I called care to clarify. That pricing is if you trade in a phone that you own outright, not one you are currently leasing or have through jump on demand.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

nickutz posted:

Yeah I'm not sure I understand it either. I have Simple Choice ($50/mo) and an iPhone 6 64GB (~$27/mo).

If I trade in for a 6S 64GB, would I actually be paying less?

You could do like me and my wife are doing. Sell the current phone you're paying for, you should get more than what you owe on it, then get a new one with JOD. You end up paying the $19/m, but you're not out anything. I'm actually just trading mine in to Amazon because I hate selling poo poo. I'm still coming out ahead, new phone and lower monthly payments. Just a bit of juggling to get things sorted.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I pre-ordered a 128 gray 6S the day preorders opened up and was told it was on back order, which is fine. Looking at their site now and it looks like they're immediately available but mine still hasn't shipped. We need a :maddowns: emot

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Duckman2008 posted:

If you want further advice, feel free to message me, I've worked 6 years for every carrier but T-Mobile now, so I know what to do pretty well.

I don't have PMs :downs:

I'm aware it would be sales and I'm comfortable with "do your job or get out". I find the idea of a commission job pretty cool because seeing some sort of reward for good performance is a totally alien concept to me in all my other jobs I've ever had, where hard work meant you lined the pockets of some fucker you would never meet or care about. I did introduce myself and they seemed very positive about the idea of getting me an interview at least (was today told to expect a call tomorrow), and the hiring manager and I laughed and joked about innocuous stuff the couple times I've met her, so she seems to like me. I wore slacks and a button-down shirt, which may have been too formal? Went for two corporate stores.

28, five years of experience in customer service, management and training, but it's all been in the food industry.

And would it not be weird to be on T-Mobile but apply for AT&T and Sprint and such? I dunno, I guess I didn't do it because I thought it might be a conflict of interest. Would they not care?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I don't see how it would be weird at all to apply for three different companies in the same industry, doing the same job, to see who hires you. That's like a completely standard thing to do.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I just recently switched to T-Mobile and while I was doing it the rep kept telling me stories about how "cool and insane" he is. Have I joined a service with a Cool CEO?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Mad Wack posted:

I just recently switched to T-Mobile and while I was doing it the rep kept telling me stories about how "cool and insane" he is. Have I joined a service with a Cool CEO?

He's like that hip uncle that shows up to family barbecues with a Hawaiian shirt and cargo shorts and uses lingo from the late 90's.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Mad Wack posted:

He loves to curse and say how loving lovely Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T are. Also he loves to gently caress around with the Sprint CEO and make him hella mad.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Daily Forecast posted:

I don't have PMs :downs:

I'm aware it would be sales and I'm comfortable with "do your job or get out". I find the idea of a commission job pretty cool because seeing some sort of reward for good performance is a totally alien concept to me in all my other jobs I've ever had, where hard work meant you lined the pockets of some fucker you would never meet or care about. I did introduce myself and they seemed very positive about the idea of getting me an interview at least (was today told to expect a call tomorrow), and the hiring manager and I laughed and joked about innocuous stuff the couple times I've met her, so she seems to like me. I wore slacks and a button-down shirt, which may have been too formal? Went for two corporate stores.

28, five years of experience in customer service, management and training, but it's all been in the food industry.

And would it not be weird to be on T-Mobile but apply for AT&T and Sprint and such? I dunno, I guess I didn't do it because I thought it might be a conflict of interest. Would they not care?

No they wouldn't care what carrier you have. The care is on if you are personable, open to learning and driven to make money (aka sales).

You dressed fine. I've had way too many people show up in shorts.

You're a good candidate, so keep pushing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Skeezy posted:

he loves to gently caress around with the Sprint CEO and make him hella mad.

this alone is dope as hell

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool
So, maybe you guys can set me straight as far as the JOD plans go.

I just switched from Sprint (gently caress you Sprint and your lovely coverage) over the weekend since TMo is paying up to $350 in ETFs (mine came out to $349.99 on Sprints site). I traded in my LG G3 for the 6s and signed up for the JOD plan where I pay $20/mo for the phone and TMo will still pay the ETF (supposedly I could have gotten the $15/mo option but they wouldn't pay my ETF). From what I'm reading once the 18 month lease is up I have to bring the phone back to TMo for a new lease or pay the $163.99 to keep it at the end correct?

I'm just wondering if I can go back to the store and get off the JOD plan to the regular plan, I realize that this would up my monthly phone payment but I wouldn't be forced to pay ~$160 or get a new phone (I typically keep my phones for 2 years at least) at the end of the 18 months. If I go back onto a regular plan would the payment term jump back up to 24 months? Or am I just overthinking this and I'm probably going to be saving money in the long term and not getting screwed over?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Label Facing Right posted:

So, maybe you guys can set me straight as far as the JOD plans go.

I just switched from Sprint (gently caress you Sprint and your lovely coverage) over the weekend since TMo is paying up to $350 in ETFs (mine came out to $349.99 on Sprints site). I traded in my LG G3 for the 6s and signed up for the JOD plan where I pay $20/mo for the phone and TMo will still pay the ETF (supposedly I could have gotten the $15/mo option but they wouldn't pay my ETF). From what I'm reading once the 18 month lease is up I have to bring the phone back to TMo for a new lease or pay the $163.99 to keep it at the end correct?

I'm just wondering if I can go back to the store and get off the JOD plan to the regular plan, I realize that this would up my monthly phone payment but I wouldn't be forced to pay ~$160 or get a new phone (I typically keep my phones for 2 years at least) at the end of the 18 months. If I go back onto a regular plan would the payment term jump back up to 24 months? Or am I just overthinking this and I'm probably going to be saving money in the long term and not getting screwed over?

Stay on JOD. It's cheaper in the long run. Also if you want when the iPhone 7 comes out you can just trade it on and start up a new JOD on that one. Even if you want to keep the phone you still save money in the end since you get the $7 credit every month.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

So I'm looking to upgrade my ancient ancient galaxy s2, and I'm on a simple choice plan. I understand that basically anything will be an upgrade. I'd been thinking about getting a nexus phone or one of the other "stock android" types, but t-mobile doesn't really seem to offer any of those, and it might not hurt to be paying monthly rather than in a lump sum right now. Does anyone have any suggestions? (smaller is better)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

They have the nexus 5 and 6