Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
namad
Nov 7, 2013
Worst case scenario 1: His main southern army moves north into your main army. It blocks your main armies movement. His eastern army moves west and you fight a 2on1 battle without the benefit of your minor reinforcements in the west joining up.

Worst case scenario 2: His main southern army moves northwest and blocks off your small army of reinforcements from moving, thus taking a battle against them without your main army present. Your main army moves south unopposed but your reinforcements never arrive. This is the most likely to actually happen because blocked movement has a random formula based partially in theory on armysize in some way (which makes attacking every turn with a scout who retreats slightly less of a dick move). However it's unlikely in my opinion that your opponent would want to make this maneuver it is the move which would result most likely in a movement phase confusion screw up for you.

I've personally never seen armies whiz past each other when attempting to move directly into each other and do not believe it to be possible. It might be though, because, dominions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Assuming your dude casting Legions of Steel is E3 (and I doubt you're casting Legions of Steel 5 times with gems), he's getting knocked out after the third cast. If you cast Summon Earthpower first, he's good for an extra cast and probably some more spells after that.

I'm pretty new at this, so probably I've missed something.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Assuming your dude casting Legions of Steel is E3 (and I doubt you're casting Legions of Steel 5 times with gems), he's getting knocked out after the third cast. If you cast Summon Earthpower first, he's good for an extra cast and probably some more spells after that.

I'm pretty new at this, so probably I've missed something.

I'm just that bad at dom4

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I only know it because I'm scripting 10+ Master Smiths each turn in the newbie game. Because I can't make up my mind. :v:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Yeah if you can summon epower you should almost always do that first.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Literally the only case in which you do not want to do this is if your dude is already E10 or something, or there's a t1 spell you need to get off. Otherwise, the pathboost+reinvig is the best choice

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

To explain for the uninitiated, Summon Earthpower is a spell that an Earth mage can cast to become better at Earth magic by one level for a battle and also gain some Reinvigoration, which restores Fatigue every turn. This actually improves their endurance in battle in two ways. The obvious is that spells cost Fatigue to cast, so anything that improves their ability to reduce Fatigue lets them cast longer. The slightly less obvious is that the Fatigue cost of spells decreases the higher your path level is relative to the requirement, so not only are you getting some of your Fatigue removed every turn, every Earth spell you cast for the rest of the battle is cheaper.

I'm pretty sure dom3 and therefore I'd assume dom4 can philosophically handle path levels above 10 as a result of things like boosts so even E10 has a decent reason to pop it up. Especially since by E10 I'm pretty sure Earthpower's fatigue cost is so low that it only cost you the turn and the scripting slot (honestly the latter is the important one, god only knows what idiocy the AI will do once you go off script).

Feinne fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 24, 2015

namad
Nov 7, 2013
The main reason I can think of not to cast summon earthpower is in an earthquake or rain of stones duel between human mages in which case you expect most/some/all of your army to be dead before turn 2 begins.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Having made the mistake of not casting earth power and losing all my mages to being passed out I concur. Cast it first.

Just a note: I'm out of the country for the next 10 or so days, and the game is mostly over as I write this. I leave it to the thread, do you want me to dump all the turns at once, or would you prefer to see them spaced out more evenly so you can digest them?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Spaced out is better.

Besides, that will give Neruz the opportunity to bring us the Jomon lore post that he promised us and hasn't delivered yet! :argh:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Feinne posted:

I'm pretty sure dom3 and therefore I'd assume dom4 can philosophically handle path levels above 10 as a result of things like boosts so even E10 has a decent reason to pop it up. Especially since by E10 I'm pretty sure Earthpower's fatigue cost is so low that it only cost you the turn and the scripting slot (honestly the latter is the important one, god only knows what idiocy the AI will do once you go off script).
At E11, Flying Shards has to be effective, right?

Right?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Right?

I've killed indie commanders on turn 1 with that spell before. With a solo mage that I sent out by accident. I'm not very good at this game, but I can be obscenely lucky!

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

jBrereton posted:

Right?

Well I think you get more and quantity is a sort of quality in some regards.

That said if you can cast E11 Flying Shards you can also E11 Blade Wind at the very minimum and one of these two things is much more effective.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Feinne posted:

Well I think you get more and quantity is a sort of quality in some regards.

That said if you can cast E11 Flying Shards you can also E11 Blade Wind at the very minimum and one of these two things is much more effective.

Not if you went Conj/Alt!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Updates at a moderate pace

Don't post like five in a day. But also don't post one a week. One every one or two days would be :coal:

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

Updates at a moderate pace

Don't post like five in a day. But also don't post one a week. One every one or two days would be :coal:

Ahem, perhaps my posting pace has been... lackadaisical. I'll try to post more often once I return. I'm on a connecting flight as I furiously swype this post out.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I mean if you are all are done and still have a Dom4 key reward key I will totes take one for winning the meme contest by virtue of being the last man standing.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I think Baudin is dead so Samog please come to the thread and determine what non-dom 4 player most deserves a steam key.

Absum
May 28, 2013

I think he forgot this existed.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Absum posted:

I think he forgot this existed.

I'm a terrible human being. Will post tonight.

Oops.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

what non-dom 4 player most deserves a steam key.

A fate worse than death

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Enjoy posted:

A fate worse than death

Witness me.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

tonight happened, no post, rip thread

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

tonight happened, no post, rip thread

He posted at 2:34am in the morning, maybe he has the same timezone as me and meant this night? :v:

Absum
May 28, 2013

he forgot again lmao

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Libluini posted:

He posted at 2:34am in the morning, maybe he has the same timezone as me and meant this night? :v:

Or I'm just very bad at posting, iiam!

Turn 24:
Regarding my difficulty recording combat:
(10:39:17 AM) Monkee: obviously, make a series of 10 second gifs and post them at once
(10:39:24 AM) Monkee: while breaking tables

Ok, I’m pretty nervous about this turn.

Looks like my fight went through and Morlokia proactively started raiding me. Lets see how this worked out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJnOR0QpTiQ

Crap, a loss. But wait, who’s this Grandfather Earth guy?

Looks like they lost a hero in the exchange, as well as a lot of regular troops and their longdead. Not a crushing loss, at least. Time for round two, where hopefully I don’t get completely mauled.

I’m also going to move to counter the raid - I’m not sure where they’ll end up next, but hopefully I can continue to clean up after them without too many losses.

As well I’m also continuing my quill production and started a few burgmeister guards. Finally I’m nearing completion of evocation 5 for earthquake - this means that everyone else will be able to easily evade any earthquake attempts I make (since they’ll all know I have it by then),

End Turn!

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

That was rather a lot of turns worth of longdead to slaughter, you've taken out a whole bunch of turns worth of effort.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
For a loss that one seemed to go pretty well. Although I guess losing does put you on the back foot positionally.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Baudin posted:

As well I’m also continuing my quill production and started a few burgmeister guards. Finally I’m nearing completion of evocation 5 for earthquake - this means that everyone else will be able to easily evade any earthquake attempts I make (since they’ll all know I have it by then),

You talk like that's easy to do, but earthquakes seem kind of tough to dodge, in concept. How's it done?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

foolofsound how did you determine the draft order?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

foolofsound how did you determine the draft order?

Rolled for it randomly, but ensuring that no given person had the same position in a 'round' more than once. So everyone had a first in round, second in round, third in round, ect.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

How did it end Baudin?
How are you all doing dom4 players?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

EDIT: Woops, wrong thread.

Also, what the guy above me said.

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
RIP Grandfather Earth. Glad you got good footage of that, because it's an awesome example of (my/bad) spell scripting in action :eng99:. In this case, I had him using his holy 4 (a big deal) to paralyze giants. However, once he'd done that 5 times, he took his ongoing orders to 'cast spells' and got started on the very important business of freeze touching giants, because I guess he thought it was awesome-er.

The correct scripting, in this case, would have been 'stay behind troops', I think. Though he probably would not have continued to cast 0 fatigue spells that completely neuter Baudin's giants, he probably wouldn't have gone and killed himself either. Researching some better magic would have also worked, maybe?

Along with the previous battle, I think most of Baudin's units got diseased by death weapons here. I kind of felt like that was helping as our war dragged on, but fire weapons just outright killing things seems better, if you don't need D9 for rituals.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Did you not have good evos researched? Mages survive all of the time with Cast Spells orders and I only REALLY remember seeing it with someone like Mictlan where the priest can only cast bless, casts it, and then runs in since he's got no other poo poo to do.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Turn 25:
IRC Quote of the Turn:
PM From Burlap (Burlap): hey, if you *really* don't want to die, you probably need to do something dramatic. 100% of my resources are going to be devoted to keeping your sacreds from reaching critical mass, and your territory from expanding.

Lets see how the attack on his castle worked out:

Just a few losses due to province defence, no big deal. I’ve noticed that a lot of my giants and other troops have various diseases due to his death weapons, which is pretty annoying.

Now to figure out what to do. I start by pulling back a few of my troops and moving others in to reinforce them. I will be done evocation 5 next turn, so I start on Thaumaturgy

Of note, thaumaturgy has a few cool spells later on, such as Wither Bones and Control Undead.

Here’s a quick shot of the world:

And here are a few images of Burlaps’ forces from my terrible non-scouts (which could be VERY off):

He also has that raiding force which I didn’t kill off. I’m not sure where he’s moved them off to.

I’ve also started recruiting healers, soon I’ll be transitioning to marshmasters to counter skeletons, since I’m trying to get an anti-skeleton spell or three online soon. This could be a long slog of a war.

End Turn!

Baudin fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 2, 2015

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

fool_of_sound posted:

im permabanned dom4 player kitfox88. i first started playing dominions when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "province defence" and tried to channel it constantly.

pages ago but i laugh every time i see this ty

also i forgot about this lp because this game went really bad for me and i ai'd really quick and sorry yall and :effort:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I imagine there are other anti-skeleton spells before you hit that level of thaumaturgy?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

What was your Thaumaturgy already at, Baudin? I'd have thought, given your mage selection, that pushing Evocation for Earthquake, Magma Eruption and Rain of Stones would have been more effective than trying to reach Wither Bones. Especially considering Master Smiths are much cheaper to spam than Marshmasters. And the single pair of boots most need are generally something you'll want a number of anyways. Unless he's really summoning the Roman undead, some of which have decent Prot values.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

What was your Thaumaturgy already at, Baudin? I'd have thought, given your mage selection, that pushing Evocation for Earthquake, Magma Eruption and Rain of Stones would have been more effective than trying to reach Wither Bones. Especially considering Master Smiths are much cheaper to spam than Marshmasters. And the single pair of boots most need are generally something you'll want a number of anyways. Unless he's really summoning the Roman undead, some of which have decent Prot values.

I am not a smart man. I cannot emphasize this enough. All of the critical thinking in this thread about "why didn't you do this better way" is entirely justified - in fact part of the point of why I started this LP is to get ideas from brighter people.

Basically at the time I thought I could supplement an army of giants with sauromancers casting cool spells at the same time and not worry about killing myself with earthquake or RoS. I'm afraid that was a poor decision.

Turn 26:

Looks like Morlockia decided to hit back in quite a few locations. lets see what kind of damage he did.

It looks like he just wanted to scout me, which is rather annoying considering he seems to have consolidated his army nearby.

Three raids, one with fiends of darkness. Not good.

Ok so after all that this is what my territory looks like:

I’ve renewed a non-aggression pact with Boing so all I have to worry about right now is Burlap (Morlockia).

While I’m busy trying to organize and sort out my various spells I notice that I don’t have Summon Earthpower, a very handy spell for earth magic.

I aim to fix that, immediately.

So I can cast that, then earthquake

Because undead chaff are a huge problem.

At this point I set up a few moves to take back raided provinces, and then sleep on what I’ve done (literally, I was double guessing myself over everything which can be kinda tiring).

And then I forgot to finish my turn. gently caress.

• Locked thread