Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

VikingSkull posted:

I don't understand how inbred idiots have done double file restarts with no issues for decades across this country at various dirt tracks

By not being super anal about it. Also, they're capable of passing under green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's KENSES Time. :suicide:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Denny seemed to be taking his time with the 4, but Matt appears to be not loving around.

quote:

Ricky Craven ‏@RickyCravenESPN 6m6 minutes ago
These teams have competed for 28 weeks and you're going to Black flag a Chase driver for gaining nothing ?

Ray Dunlap ‏@XRayDunlap 2m2 minutes ago
The unwritten rule has always been, give the spot back in 1/2 lap and no foul. @keselowski did JUST that. Inconsistency not acceptable.

e- Rick Allen completely forgot Keselowski's penalty. :downsbravo:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 27, 2015

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
I miss Hendrick domination.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Harvick running out drops him 23 off the Bubble. Junyer is now 1 to the good over Kyle and Menard. Kurt falls to 7th.

e- "It's an entertainment sport, not a fairness sport."

:vince: :thurman:

I think Brad's gonna make a trip to the bank this week.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 27, 2015

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

End my stupid life imo

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Per Jim Utter (I know, I know):

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/tony-stewart-to-end-nascar-driving-career-after-2016-season

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

It'll happen. This is one of those situations where parties say "Bullshit, who said we were doing that? Don't make things up." only to say "Ok yeah, it's a thing." later.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Sucks :(

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

The comments. Why do I always read the comments?:downswords:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jack Roush is selling his team transport Boeing 727s:

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/BOEING-727-212/1979-BOEING-727-212/1391835.htm

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/BOEING-727-227F/1973-BOEING-727-227F/1393763.htm

...who wants to go in on at least one of these with me? I know there are some avgeeks in SASCAR.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
trijets are so :fap:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

What is wrong with these? There are cessna citations of the same year going for more than that...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

SHR press conference Wednesday. Word is, as it was before, Bowyer to the 51 next year, then the 14 in 2017.

Uncle Jam posted:

What is wrong with these? There are cessna citations of the same year going for more than that...

727s (and anything running JT8-D engines, like DC-9s, 737-200s, MD-80s) are notorious gas guzzlers. Northwest (Delta post-merger) only kept their DC-9s into 2014 because they were paid for.

e- I don't even think there's a secondhand market for 727s anymore. FedEx retired their last in the last couple years

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 28, 2015

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007
well, i've got a little experience with JT8D's. I'm in!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

trijets are so :fap:

what was Ricky Hendrick flying

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ayn rand hand job posted:

what was Ricky Hendrick flying

a Beechcraft Super King, of course

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Press conference scheduled for Wednesday with Smoke and Haas. Looks like it's happening. :smith:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Is it just me, or does a NASCAR without an even relatively irrelevant Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart sound lackluster? I'm skewed because they're my two favorite drivers, but there doesn't seem to be anybody I can get excited about pulling for. At least the way I see it, I look at the other Chasers and I can lump the drivers into a couple groups:

-Interesting- Kurt, Brad (though these two definitely have their detractors), Truex
-Meh- Harvick, Junior, McMurray
-Boring but not irritating- Denny, Kenseth, Menard, Newman
-Annoying- Jimmie, Kyle (hell of a racecar driver but still prone to pouting), Carl, Logano, Bowyer

...and of those, Harvick, Jr, Jimmie, and Kenseth (and Greg Biffle) are all over 40 and trending toward the end of their own careers.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
you know those old guys that moan about the days of Petty and Pearson?

that's all of us in 5 years

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

The good news is, I'll watch races for the good racing... If there is any.... And not be bothered about having a favorite driver. Blancpain endurance, I have a few teams I root but not Gordon levels while I can be excited for lots of racing instead. With where the cars could go next year, I could watch more of next year than this year because of the racing.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

There'll be interesting drivers coming along- Elliott, the Dillons, Bubba Wallace, Blaney, Erik Jones, etc...

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
that moment when a Facebook group posts a picture of France Sr. and people lay praise at the altar....

:suicide:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Boomer The Cannon posted:

There'll be interesting drivers coming along- Elliott, the Dillons, Bubba Wallace, Blaney, Erik Jones, etc...

I like most of those so hopefully I think the future is decent for the most part.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

lol even people on Nascar's facebook that hate Brad are on his side right now.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I don't see Matt retiring until a couple of years after Ross makes it to Sprint Cup. NASCAR is going to want at least one father/son story with a happy ending.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Heathen posted:

I don't see Matt retiring until a couple of years after Ross makes it to Sprint Cup. NASCAR is going to want at least one father/son story with a happy ending.

Hell, it didn't have a happy beginning for sure.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Race Weened Update

I just got back from Loudon and figured some of you would be interested.

First and foremost, New Hampshire and Vermont have beautiful country to drive through. I've been to Bennington and Burlington before, but I had never ventured much to the east of Bennington. Great drive, pretty colors, good roads (mostly), and relatively little traffic for a race weekend. Seriously, I could have spent a week just exploring the area and hitting some of the hikes and towns. If you live in the Northeast it's a pretty cool area to check out.

Scanners and Intercom Systems

This was my 3rd race and, holy poo poo, you guys were 100% right about renting the scanners. It made the race so much better to have someone in our ear keeping us up to date on the status of the race. I went ahead and splurged and got the intercom system as well so that dad and I could talk to one another like we were crew chiefs. Would buy again.

Actual Race Thoughts

Everything was pretty fun for awhile. We had seats at the extreme end of the front stretch as the cars come out of turn 4. Kenseth was pitting almost directly in front of me and his team was just loving rocking it all day long. Kahne was in front of him and we got a great view of his team absolutely blowing one of his stops, he must have been over the line and half the crew started working while the other half stood around, and one guy tried to tell everyone that there was a problem.

And remember when I mentioned being crew chiefs? Well, I'm pretty sure I could make better decisions than either Harvick's or Junior's crew chiefs. H-O-L-Y S-H-I-T, when the caution came out with 60 (?) laps to go and Harvick and Junior didn't pit, I radioed my dad and went on a tirade about how much that was going to screw the two of them. There was no upside compared to the gigantic downside. Sure enough both guys ran out of gas. I don't think either guy should lose their jobs over it, but I do think both should be taken out back and waterboarded for a few minutes. It was such a monstrously stupid decision by both crew chiefs.

The only thing dumber than that was all of the people that started to file out early. Hundreds and hundreds of people started to file out with literally 30 laps to go, and that number grew even though there was a race for the lead and everyone knew there were fuel mileage concerns. I don't understand why you would spend the money on a ticket and leave before the race is decided. Just seems really stupid to me to do something like that. I also couldn't believe how many people, fully dressed in racing gear, seemed more interested in hanging out and being shady under the grand stands than watching the actual race.

Leaving the Track

Holy gently caress. How do you New Englanders not all kill yourselves while driving? Also, is New Hampshire just a lawless land? Daytona and Dover were pretty well organized, yea there was traffic but things kinda made sense. (Though, funny story, we got out of Daytona faster than you can get out of the parking lot at your local Target. I'm not joking, from the time we got in the car to the time we hit the paved roads of Daytona Beach was MAYBE 3 minutes.) Loudon? It was complete chaos. First of all, the track must hire everyone from the area to work the weekend- but 80% of these "workers" were too busy picking their nose and talking to one another than actually directing traffic or doing anything of any discernible value. Then, once you finally get to the main road it's every man for himself. The good thing was that they converted a north/south road into only a road that only allowed for traffic to flow south. But that was the end of the good idea, from there it was just chaos as people tried to create as many lanes as possible, including flying down the narrow right shoulder. I understand that it was "legal", but who the gently caress thinks it's a good idea to drive 30-50 mph down the shoulder of the road when everyone is already bumper to bumper? From what I hear the conversion of the shoulder of the road into a travel lane is a thing in the Boston area- and its absolutely insane. I appreciate the effort to increase capacity for the race traffic, but it really did feel like chaos. Something like that would never have flown in New York State, not without some serious police presence to guide traffic.

Final Thoughts

It was a great weekend. I'm not sure what you guys thought of the race on TV, but in person it was pretty good. I didn't get a good look at why NASCAR black flagged BK, but I did get a great view of Kyle Bush hitting the wall. I probably won't go to the race again, but I'm glad I did make the trip once. The big take away for the weekend was that the scanners were awesome, and that the people of New Hampshire didn't seem to be as friendly as I expected.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Jimmy "Smut" Means' hauler caught fire on the way back from the XFINITY Series race in Kentucky. The crew lost a lot of their equipment, including their pit box, and one of their crewmen burned his hand. They started a GoFundMe this evening and they've already collected $670 in two hours.

The good news - if there is any - is that both Joey Gase's #52 and the "start-and-park" #79 that were aboard appear to be in good shape, just need to be cleaned. It's frightening, though, because this is the latest in a series of NASCAR-related fires. JD Motorsports had a hauler go up last year and the Leavine Family Racing team shop just recently re-opened after a fire in May. Haven't heard news on the causes behind any of them.

SpitztheGreat posted:

Race Weekend Update

Sounds like you had a great weekend, Spitz! I am a bit surprised at all the fans leaving early - the broadcasters crow constantly about how dedicated the fans are up there. Then again, I suppose they say that everywhere.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

LASTCAR posted:

I am a bit surprised at all the fans leaving early - the broadcasters crow constantly about how dedicated the fans are up there. Then again, I suppose they say that everywhere.

Having been there several times: it's people trying to beat the traffic. It's as bad as he said it was and everyone there knows it. The last few times I stayed at a campground a few miles from the track and left on Monday morning.

Another option is to grill dinner in the parking lot. That'll kill a few hours while traffic calms down a little.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

People do that at Bristol too, fwiw though Bristol can be a super pain to get out of, but if you wait around at your car for an hour after the race you can usually get away without dying or killing anyone.

Then again Bristol has a history of lovely finishes after a good race, So maybe I'm the dumb one here.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Getting out of Loudon has always been a nightmare, it's a small town that triples in size on race weekends.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2015/09/29/nascar-presents-new-franchise-concepts-to-owners/

:allears: and :suicide:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

quote:

NASCAR continues to struggle in the first year of its new television deal. NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from New Hampshire drew a 1.7 overnight rating on NBCSN Sunday, down 23% from both last year and 2013, when the race aired on ESPN (2.2). The 1.7 is tied as the second-lowest for any NASCAR race this season, matching Richmond two weeks earlier and ahead of only Kansas on Fox Sports 1 in May (1.5). So far this season, five Sprint Cup races have failed to hit a 2.0 overnight rating - compared to zero such races last year

Looks like the TV viewers left early too. Or never showed up.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

SpitztheGreat posted:

Leaving the Track

... Also, is New Hampshire just a lawless land? .... From what I hear the conversion of the shoulder of the road into a travel lane is a thing in the Boston area- and its absolutely insane. I appreciate the effort to increase capacity for the race traffic, but it really did feel like chaos. Something like that would never have flown in New York State, not without some serious police presence to guide traffic.

Well New Hampshire's state motto is Live Free or Die so yeah, it is basically a lawless land. I spent a little over a year and a half living in New Hampshire and did all kinds of hick nonsense up there that probably would have gotten me jailed in Massachusetts, where I'm from.

And yes there are sections of Route 3 in MA that go towards and away from Boston that temporarily allow for breakdown lane travel to help ease traffic. It doesn't actually cover that much mileage and it is only during specific hours. I think 7am-10am and 3pm-7pm. I like it, most people stay away from the breakdown lane because, like you said, its narrow and there are big portions that also have guardrails on the edge of the road making it feel even narrower. I don't know if they allow for it anywhere else but Route 3 is the only place I've seen it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Nice write-up Spitz. Glad you enjoyed the race.

It's pretty counter-intuitive when you think about how easily traffic flows after races at Daytona. I'm not sure where you parked (seeing you talk about getting onto paved roads implies the free lot (Lot 7) in my mind), but even International Speedway Boulevard is not packed. The only hold up there is the pedestrian traffic.

What exactly does this mean? They're going to find ways to give current owners more bang for their buck while making it harder for new teams to get in?

I can't wait to see how badly NASCAR mangles their effort to build "future qualification" standards.

e- vvv If you can wait a few hours or so after a race, they post the races on YouTube in their entirety. Been doing it a couple years. vvv

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 29, 2015

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
My household cancelled our cable subscription this summer when we moved and we got Sling for a few months while I wasn't around to watch races.

Now that I'm home I am looking into getting service again, but I am having a hard time justifying a DirectTV subscription (the only option here in rural NH) for just races. Is there any other service out there where I can watch races that I just haven't found yet? NASCAR hasn't launched their own version of the WWE channel yet? Being able to watch it on my TV without hooking up a PC to it is important.

Boy I'd love to just pay $10/month for live races and 24/7 broadcasts of old races in the mean time.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Stuntman-director-driver Stanton Barrett's promoting his magnum opus this weekend

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bigbillystyle posted:

Well New Hampshire's state motto is Live Free or Die so yeah, it is basically a lawless land. I spent a little over a year and a half living in New Hampshire and did all kinds of hick nonsense up there that probably would have gotten me jailed in Massachusetts, where I'm from.

And yes there are sections of Route 3 in MA that go towards and away from Boston that temporarily allow for breakdown lane travel to help ease traffic. It doesn't actually cover that much mileage and it is only during specific hours. I think 7am-10am and 3pm-7pm. I like it, most people stay away from the breakdown lane because, like you said, its narrow and there are big portions that also have guardrails on the edge of the road making it feel even narrower. I don't know if they allow for it anywhere else but Route 3 is the only place I've seen it.

I've seen it on I-93, not Route 3.

I also live off of Route 3 near the Mass-NH border, so I'm on it quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Clint Bowyer wasn't Smoke's first choice for the 14:

quote:

Tony Stewart desperately wanted Kyle Larson for the job [the #14 ride]. Larson is available in 2017, but the particulars of his current contract didn't fall into place with the timetable Stewart needed to execute his plan. Then Clint Bowyer became available and Stewart had his man. Bowyer will spend 2016 making laps with another team as he waits for Stewart to complete his retirement tour.

Another retiring driver who wanted Kyle Larson to replace him but won't get to, which is a shame because Larson in the 24 or 14: :fap:

Dover Chase scenarios from Jayski:

quote:

#11-Denny Hamlin and #20-Matt Kenseth have already clinched a spot in the Contender Round.
#19-Carl Edwards needs 12 points. (32nd and no laps, 33rd and at least one lap, 34th and most laps led).
#22-Joey Logano needs 13 points. (31st and no laps, 32nd and at least one lap, 33rd and most laps led)
#48-Jimmie Johnson needs 19 points. (25th and no laps, 26th and at least one lap, 27th and most laps led)
#31-Ryan Newman needs 28 points. (16th and no laps, 17th and at least one lap, 18th and most laps led)
#41-Kurt Busch needs 29 points. (15th and no laps, 16th and at least one lap, 17th and most laps led)
#2-Brad Keselowski needs 30 points. (14th and no laps, 15th and at least one lap, 16th and most laps led)
#78-Martin Truex Jr. needs 31 points. (13th and no laps, 14th and at least one lap, 15th and most laps led)
#24-Jeff Gordon needs 34 points. (10th and no laps, 11th and at least one lap, 12th and most laps led)
#1-Jamie McMurray, #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr., #18-Kyle Busch, #27-Paul Menard, #4-Kevin Harvick and #15-Clint Bowyer only control their own destinies with a victory.

• Locked thread