Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

DrVenkman posted:

I actually agree with Foley in what he says about Eva Marie. She isn't good enough, but if she puts in the work then it at least shows she wants to be there. I don't by any means think she'll be able to lead a match, just that she'll be in one. She's in a weird lovely sub-Reigns situation in that she's about to get pushed too early and is getting resistance at every turn. If she was just a 'featured player' in NXT and not someone they're trying to get to the main roster as soon as possible then she would do a lot better. But then all I've actually seen of her is this recent run, so I don't have that white hot hatred for her.

Regardless, until they cool off on her she's always going to be pushed at a level she clearly isn't ready for, while commentary talks about how great she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I think a big issue with women's wrestling is that it's way harder to push people who are poor workers.

Traditionally when you have a male worker being pushed as a top guy despite being limited in the ring, they look like Braun Strowman or Ryback. You can in kayfabe terms put it over that they're just ridiculously strong and tough so they don't need technique.

No one is going to believe that about Eva Marie, so if it's also clear that she's slow, awkward, and lacking in technique, it just destroys any match where you're trying to put her over someone who is clearly way better than her.

I guess that's, you know, the mentality, of an old school kind of person and normally I find that irrelevant, but it just makes me groan watching her matches

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I think a big issue with women's wrestling is that it's way harder to push people who are poor workers.

Traditionally when you have a male worker being pushed as a top guy despite being limited in the ring, they look like Braun Strowman or Ryback. You can in kayfabe terms put it over that they're just ridiculously strong and tough so they don't need technique.

No one is going to believe that about Eva Marie, so if it's also clear that she's slow, awkward, and lacking in technique, it just destroys any match where you're trying to put her over someone who is clearly way better than her.

I guess that's, you know, the mentality, of an old school kind of person and normally I find that irrelevant, but it just makes me groan watching her matches

Not only that, but some dudes are able to mitigate poor ring work with mic skills. The women on WWE's roster who are poor workers are also poor promos.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I feel like Nia Jax is going to buck that trend because by all house show indications she's being used as an unstoppable hoss and nothing else.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Not only that, but some dudes are able to mitigate poor ring work with mic skills. The women on WWE's roster who are poor workers are also poor promos.
Everyone that's on NXT that's a poor worker is a poor promo. The only exception I can think of was Enzo, and he's getting decent in the ring now.

It's not that you can't have women who are poor workers promoted as monsters - look at Chyna. It's that WWE for years gave zero shits about a) any level of wrestling ability and b) any kind of consistent booking. And women who were the physical equivalents of someone like Strowman or Ryback weren't ever going to get signed.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Revenant Threshold posted:

Everyone that's on NXT that's a poor worker is a poor promo. The only exception I can think of was Enzo, and he's getting decent in the ring now.

It's not that you can't have women who are poor workers promoted as monsters - look at Chyna. It's that WWE for years gave zero shits about a) any level of wrestling ability and b) any kind of consistent booking. And women who were the physical equivalents of someone like Strowman or Ryback weren't ever going to get signed.

They signed one. Then it turned out she was batshit crazy, and had also done some fetish modeling.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

On an article about Kurt Angle's brother killing his wife:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

flashy_mcflash posted:

On an article about Kurt Angle's brother killing his wife:

Disintegrated her with an exploding energy ball?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Actually yeah it was. He grabbed his wife's wrists, planted his feet on her chest, and then straightened out, damaging her ribs and arms a whole lot. I mean I wouldn't have made the connection, but it's the same technique.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Actually yeah it was. He grabbed his wife's wrists, planted his feet on her chest, and then straightened out, damaging her ribs and arms a whole lot. I mean I wouldn't have made the connection, but it's the same technique.

holy poo poo :stare:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I feel like it's pretty irresponsible to publish an article about a man murdering his wife and then just slapping a huge picture of the murderer's famous brother on the screen and only referring to the killer as his brother in the headline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy5rz1cft5w

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I thought you were joking, and then I checked it and :stare:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

much like Vegeta, he's a BADMAN

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Well stop liking that. That goes for this tumblr rando and in fact everyone. End creepy bad deathmatches 2K15

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
What's the point of a syringe match if you're just going to use the syringe as a regular weapon, instead of loading it with elephant tranquilizer and getting the easiest pinfall of your life?

They really didn't think that gimmick through.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Well stop liking that. That goes for this tumblr rando and in fact everyone. End creepy bad deathmatches 2K15

Big Japan is always fun to watch but yeah I could do without the stuff going through the cheeks, especially syringes and other small fine piercing thingies.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

this is the stupid opinion thread not the cool opinion thread for badasses

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

ew ew ew gross I couldn't stand that when thumbtack jack or whoever did it AUGH

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I actually kind of like when they use the wooden skewers. It makes for a really cool visual and honestly probably doesn't do that bad of long term damage.

Now when they use cinder blocks and poo poo like that I cringe.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I watched an isw something of death (tournament? cage? brawl for all?) for a toxx and it satisfied my need to ever watch deathmatch wrestling again

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Cagematch.net comments are fun.

PWG rating

quote:

peter21wcw wrote on 07.06.2015:
[1.0] "Brian Cage is the best thing to happen to this company, I actually think this company sucks a lot of people like it so much New Japan Pro Wrestling who is the best company in the world and Lucha Underground is 10 times better than this crappy company you guys make it butt hurt but it's true if they're so good why don't they have a television show even ROH has a television program case closed pwg Sucks!"

The Young Bucks

quote:

Doctor Rags wrote on 23.04.2015:
[1.0] "The Young Bucks embody everything wrong with indie wrestling. Their disregard for basic match psychology and storytelling in lieu of pandering, convoluted, suspension-of-disbelief shattering maneuvers lazily and liberally sprinkled with cheap pop superkicks is so infuriating that it's almost impossible to either take them seriously or appreciate the finesse that their moves require. In brief, they wrestle less like wrestlers and more like videogame AI."

Ruiner87 wrote on 16.08.2015:
[3.0] "Would care about their matches if anybody ever bothered to sell, or if there was structure, or if they made any effort to make me care. I tune out whenever these guys are on my screen. The gimmick is irritating, and the matches are just a blur of moves and spots that look like someone's match from a video game."

Daniel Bryan

quote:

mhayne wrote on 04.04.2015:
[0.0] "Daniel Bryan has very average mic skills, but has terrible acting skills and in-ring ability. His one redeeming factor is his ability to engage the audience with his yes chants, and even then it just get annoying and uninteresting. However, he could potentially be decent as a low-carder on WWE Main Event. Overall, Daniel Bryan is just not enjoyable to watch."

MrHonor wrote on 09.03.2015:
[0.0] "Daniel Bryan's career repose on fans. Without them, he is nothing. There is so many wrestler better wrestlers who are not pushed because of his fanbase who want to put him as the WWE Champion, the main eventer, the face of the WWE, the ultimate wrestler. However, he has no mic skill and is promo can be sum up by "Yes". Furthermore, fans critic John Cena for his "Five Moves of Doom" but Daniel Bryan use only his kicks, his knee and his Yes Lock. Also, he looks like someone who never enter in a weight room and it's not admissible if he must work as a top wreslter in the WWE."

Vickie Guerrero

quote:

Phenomenal91 wrote on 22.08.2014:
[0.0] "With the possible exception of the brief reign of Mike Adamle, this woman was the worst "on air official" in WWE history. She did not belong in the wrestling business in any way, shape or form, and the exploitative, controversial things she did in the ring did nothing but disrespect her late husband's memory. I'm glad she's gone and I hope she never comes back."

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Daniel Bryan: WON Best Technical Wrestler 2005-2013, terrible in-ring ability - mhayne

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
People who shout loudest about ring psychology don't have a loving clue towards what it is or it's purpose. Although that could be said about anything discussed on the internet.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Gonzo McFee posted:

People who shout loudest about ring psychology don't have a loving clue towards what it is or it's purpose. Although that could be said about anything discussed on the internet.

Ring psychology is easy, it's just moving really slow and not doing anything too impressive duh.

Randy Orton circa 2008 was the greatest

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
To be fair, as hilarious and entertaining as she can be, Vickie Guerrero is a terrible actor.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

To be fair, as hilarious and entertaining as she can be, Vickie Guerrero is a terrible actor.

EXCUSE ME?!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

Hilarious and entertaining is good acting in WWE. Who are these good actors on the roster?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Her job was to be hilarious and entertaining, so who cares otherwise? She got nuclear heat with two words. There's a ton of people on the roster who would kill to get the reaction she did once, never mind every time they show up.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vickie Guerrero was fantastic and the WWE is a worse place without her.

Also Teddy Long.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'd take Vickie over Stephanie every day of the week.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

It's true, Daniel Bryan is only popular because he's popular. If all his fans didn't exist then nobody would like him.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'd take Vickie over Stephanie every day of the week.

agree.

#anyonebutsteph

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
if Stephanie had nothing good happen to her, got nothing but comeuppance, and was shamed every time she was on screen like she was Vickie, the world would be a better place I think

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bard Maddox posted:

if Stephanie had nothing good happen to her, got nothing but comeuppance, and was shamed every time she was on screen like she was Vickie, the world would be a better place I think

In the early 2000s it happened all the time, but what's the last time HHH or Steph have been actually humiliated on screen? I wouldn't count Rousey

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Aesop Poprock posted:

In the early 2000s it happened all the time, but what's the last time HHH or Steph have been actually humiliated on screen? I wouldn't count Rousey

Preceding taunting Ronda Rousey and getting armbarred.

Had an entire arena taunt them as they were kicked out following Survivor Series.

Steph was led off in handcuffs during a Nikki/Brie angle for assaulting Brie.

Thrown in the mud pool when she fired Vickie.

To be honest though, she hasn't exactly been heeling it up since the Authority got reinstated. Just more or less being a promoter.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Also for HHH the time he tried to get a "Thank you Hunter" chant going or something similar, when it looked like he was going to retire after one of the Brock matches. The crowd poo poo all over his promo from a great height.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Memento posted:

Also for HHH the time he tried to get a "Thank you Hunter" chant going or something similar, when it looked like he was going to retire after one of the Brock matches. The crowd poo poo all over his promo from a great height.

Well, that doesn't really count as the character showing rear end.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
When's the last time there's even been a threat to the Authority? This is like WWE: The Man In The High Castle or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Alain Post posted:

When's the last time there's even been a threat to the Authority? This is like WWE: The Man In The High Castle or some poo poo.

Dolph Ziggler at the Survivor Series, which, well, heh.