Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dante80 posted:

A question. Could the fact that CIG has been seeking corporate investors since 2013 mean they are not really in danger financially due to (private) investor deals made these last 2 years?

corporate investors are really into $900 spaceships, it's a growth market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hello to my new Star Citizen thread.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
is it true what they say about Derek Smart?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Goredema posted:

I don't know how this is possible, but here's a sweet stash of primo JPEGs, and for some crazy reason they're free: Free LTI Space Game JPEGs

Seriously though, those trading cards ain't worth a thing if they don't come packaged with a flat, lovely stick of gum.

Quality JPEGs indeed, thank you friend:

A Neurotic Jew posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEuY6-UM8VI

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Derek Smart knew.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I want to be the fly on the wall while chris roberts explains to a VC man that the business model is to sell pretend virtual space ships and they made 90 million dollars doing it so far

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

A Neurotic Jew posted:

The short version is that there have been some high profile terminations, a bunch of not so high profile terminations, and lots of rumors swirling that they are hemorrhaging cash. Like, so much cash that they will be broke at the start of next year. Things look grim enough that many in this thread are bailing.

What. Lmao.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's loving Farmville in Space.

This reminds me of the also fake fanfiction of concepts that "game" Revival was doing"

Revival,Terrestial Citizen posted:

Recent immigrant Marlena has decided that people will always need to eat, so she has chosen to strike out as a commercial cook. Her home has an upgradeable room, which she has equipped with a kitchen, so she has the basics to make just about any common recipe. A player merchant at the market sold her a book of recipes the day before, and Marlena is pretty sure that she’s got the stuff in her inventory to make some of the moderately difficult recipes in there. She double checks her pantry and finds that, while she’s got bread, almonds, and even some pastry (an item she made the day before with flour, egg, and water) she hasn’t got any meat or vegetables. So, it’s to be the market then.

On her way to market, Marlena thinks over some concerns about her business as it stands. She’s been mostly sticking to common fish pies, and recently experimented with her recipe and hit on a slightly better, spiced fish pie by adding powdered peppercorns to her recipe, but even these aren’t making her the kind of money she’d like. Also, those spicy fish pies weren’t all that challenging to her. Worse, when she was at the market last, there was a merchant selling fish pies at half what she did. She was going to have to try something new.

What she can find at market is sure to inform what she makes in her kitchen, so Marlena shops around, and checks her recipe book from time to time until she hits upon a recipe that she thinks is challenging, but manageable, and isn’t being sold at all the other merchants. Many of which, Marlena notices, are selling fish pies like the ones she was trying to make her way on, and that stands to reason as fish is cheap here on the ‘Rock. Marlena is going to make something different though, this time, she’s going to make mutton pies.

She buys mutton from a merchant that sells local sheep, raised in the North Gate Farms, and buys red wine from the Lonely Rock Brewery. But she cannot find the mushrooms called for in the recipe at any of the merchant stalls. Luckily, she knows where some grow, just outside of the walls. Marlena is good at the gathering game, so she hurries to her favorite spot and sure enough, there are mushrooms there. She initiates the gathering minigame, then brushes aside the leaves and ground clutter to expose the precious fungi. She deftly cuts away all of the exposed mushrooms and succeeds well enough to gather many mutton pies worth of mushrooms from the location.

Now, time to go home and cook. Marlena returns to her Kitchen, where she can now pull the rest of her ingredients from her pantry, and get to work. Before she does, Marlena remembers to go to her shrine of Hylathe, where she spends a moment asking for The Rose of Summer’s grace and guidance in her cooking.

When Marlena activates the cooking minigame, she is presented with a list of what she can make, given the tools and ingredients at her disposal. She quickly locates the Mutton pie recipe from the list, as the recipes that she could not access have greyed out. She has the tools and the ingredients for the mutton pie at the ready, and thus the minigame begins.

Marlena sees before her the preparation surface, where she’s got mutton to chop. The meat is before her on the cutting board, and Marlena must swipe or chop the meat. There is a mechanic that she must master for each process involved in the recipe, like punching at dough when kneading and proofing, swiping along lines for cutting, and stirring at regular intervals when mixing or boiling. She is good at most of these processes, and the one she’s worst at, grilling, doesn’t feature in this recipe.

For the final step, Marlena puts these all together into her pie, performs the baking minigame, which she finds a breeze. She is very successful, and as she looks over the results of her crafting, Marlena sees that she has achieved five mutton pies of high quality. This is likely to fetch a great price at market, and she’s pretty sure that she can experiment with ground pepper to improve the recipe even more. She’ll want to go back to the Cullwarren Market and get these to the pie monger soon, as they’ll cool and lose value if she waits until tomorrow, so off she runs.

Someday though, Marlena dreams of being able to buy herself a storefront, where she can have an employee sell her signature foods for her, and get back to her kitchen all the faster. That’s the real way to make a name for herself. Perhaps she’ll work out a personal deal with the sheepherder in North Gate to lower her costs by cutting out that middleman in the market (besides ensuring a predictable supply chain!) Or ask the farmer if they’d cultivate mushrooms for their mutton pie enterprise? One thing she’ll be sure to do is to ask her journaling friend to help her write down her spiced fish pie recipe, too, so she can start up a sideline in experimental recipes. Some cooks on Crowns Rock swear that cookbooks are where the real money is! Just another day on Marlena the cook’s culinary adventure!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh my god I can get a refund now!!!!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ErKeL posted:

gently caress. I totally forgot about this party. Is it still possible to sell off my crap I paid into 2 years ago for a profit or has that virtual ship sailed?

Yup!

I just dumped my 500$ of space pixels on reddit for a cool 1k.

SIGNED BOX supremacy.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
BROKEN DREAMS MASTERRACE

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

well the guy who hosed up in outsourcing the Cutlass is also not working with CIG a long time ago

https://www.linkedin.com/in/cseanmurphy

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
I'm the futuristic spaceship labratory with a space-greehnouse that can't water plants by itself.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
And a particle accelerator to discover new elements.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

EminusSleepus posted:

well the guy who hosed up in outsourcing the Cutlass is also not working with CIG a long time ago

https://www.linkedin.com/in/cseanmurphy

What is this, seven? Eight? in the last short period of time?

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
1000 years in the future, sprinkler-on-a-timer technology has been lost to mankind.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

PYF thing that you could buy with an Idris refund

I think my favorite thing would be a week trip to Tokyo, including hotel and airfare, from most major American cities

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone think CR will survive Shark Tank?

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Prop Wash posted:

PYF thing that you could buy with an Idris refund

I think my favorite thing would be a week trip to Tokyo, including hotel and airfare, from most major American cities

You mean with the $3000+ you sell it for?

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy
Hi I'm CR and I'd like to draw a ship for you.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Unfortunately I've lost all faith in humanity and I expect us to be here a year from now waiting for SC to explode.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Didn't Croberts say he'd socked 30 million away for continuing operations?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Christ almighty. Sometimes I feel like this thread is too negative and it's all just confirmation bias and there's no way the game is heading for as big a disaster as we think.

Then I remember they still haven't released their manshoot mode and here they are offering an entirely new game mode for space farming, attached to a $900 do-anything slab of pixels that will never, ever be released as described. For the record that's: Trading, Mining, Bounty Hunting, Exploring, Science, Piracy, Farming, Medical, Crafting, Salvaging, Refueling, Data Running, Hacking, and VIP transport game modes that have all now been promised, sold, and not in any way released.

I think I've reached stage 4: depression.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 30, 2015

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

So my choices are:

Buy a $900 starship complete with medical bays to save the lives of Star Citizens throughout the galaxy

OR

Provide 2 families clean drinking water for the next 30 years, possibly saving their lives. However, these people are not Citizens of the Stars
https://giftcatalog.feedthechildren.org/categories/water-prification-tablets-2-families-1-year.html

OR

I can buy 9 goats and 18 chickens for a small village. Again, saving the lives of non-Citizens
https://giftcatalog.feedthechildren.org/categories/livestock/1-goat-2-chickens.html

Please help, what do I do?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
This is the first game to present awesome writeups about their "emerging gameplay" than actually show gameplay.

And make money from it.

Best game ever.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

is this the new dangan ronpa let's play thread?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

RuckusRouser posted:

So my choices are:

Provide 2 families clean drinking water for the next 30 years, possibly saving their lives. However, these people are not Citizens of the Stars
https://giftcatalog.feedthechildren.org/categories/water-prification-tablets-2-families-1-year.html

OR

I can buy 9 goats and 18 chickens for a small village. Again, saving the lives of non-Citizens
https://giftcatalog.feedthechildren.org/categories/livestock/1-goat-2-chickens.html

Please help, what do I do?

Obviously saving people's lives is the wrong loving choice, you have to think about overpopulation man, Agent Smith got us humans pegged down to a T.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

CIG please consider the following for your next ill-conceived game mechanic on which to base a $1000 sale:

Door-to-door Avon Sales Ship
Illegal Pirate Radio Ship
Schwann's Ice Cream Ship (Can be a pocket carrier)
Flying Bistro (Fine Dining Luxury Ship variant, complete with wait staff mini game!)
Game Development Studio Ship (Extra escape pods for studio execs)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

is this the new dangan ronpa let's play thread?

sandi got locked in a gamedev company and has to murder the employment of her colleagues to escape

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Hello, I am new to Star Citizen, but it looks like just the kind of modern update to games like Freelancer I would love to play.

NINE HUNDRED loving DOLLARS FOR AN IN-GAME SHIP?

Okay so explain it to me, is this poo poo a shortcut or are they actually restricted so you have to pay 90 real SA forum accounts to get the thing?

I mean, putting aside that it doesn't exist and apparently never will.

Actually if there's an effortpost in the old thread about how the whole thing was supposed to operate, that'd be neat, because it kind of looks to me like even if they were delivering everything as promised it would still be completely goddamn insane.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Mister Adequate posted:

Hello, I am new to Star Citizen, but it looks like just the kind of modern update to games like Freelancer I would love to play.

Okay so explain it to me, is this poo poo a shortcut or are they actually restricted so you have to pay 90 real SA forum accounts to get the thing?

Actually if there's an effortpost in the old thread about how the whole thing was supposed to operate, that'd be neat, because it kind of looks to me like even if they were delivering everything as promised it would still be completely goddamn insane.

not falling for this

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

what the hell is star citizen even supposed to be? a space mmo with thousand dollar ships that get blown up and you're gently caress out of money? Isn't that what EVE does?

Malleovic
Sep 8, 2007

OMGGG you could've tripped and DIED

No Mods No Masters posted:

I want to be the fly on the wall while chris roberts explains to a VC man that the business model is to sell pretend virtual space ships and they made 90 million dollars doing it so far

It's not as if California isn't known for having VC that shovels loads of cash into whatever the gently caress...

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Cowman posted:

what the hell is star citizen even supposed to be? a space mmo with thousand dollar ships that get blown up and you're gently caress out of money? Isn't that what EVE does?

It's supposed to be better as it's skill based. So let the tears flow.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

no_recall posted:

It's supposed to be better as it's skill based. So let the tears flow.

so aspergier EVE

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cowman posted:

welcome to zombocom

the infinite is possible at zombocom

the unattainable is unknown at zombocom

lifetime insurance is both vital and superfluous at zombocom

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Adventure Pigeon posted:

All I ever wanted was MMO privateer and if they added more stuff to that foundation later on after the initial game was out hey, that'd be cool. It's all just gotten kinda weird and crazy now and yeah, a little bit sad.

But also really, really funny

All I wanted was a Privateerish game where my group could sit at different stations of the ship. That's it. I wanted to play a space engineer or gunner.

Holy gently caress this is not looking good, but by God, I will keep my Aurora LX and run this poo poo into the ground.

Mister Adequate posted:

It was OK when they raised extra money as donations in the first several months after Kickstarter for big ships. The ships were a bonus item to thank you for a donation.

Now.. now the ships are the product. They're selling several hundred dollar ships with more and more and more capabilities that will not be put into the game for years IF IT COMES OUT. You'd be a fool to buy a ship even if you thought the game was releasing that's being sold now, because the game would have to remain operational for years to ever see it.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 30, 2015

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

It's skill based, supposedly, but their funding stream also depends almost entirely upon whales that will inevitably be extremely bad at the game and will cry at cig whenever they lose something fancy

So you can pretty much count out this game playing like eve with regard to any kind of high stakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Cowman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A-4VGfx5lU

• Locked thread