Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Funky Valentine posted:

Can you elect Brother Leader Huey Long?

You can indeed. He doesn't remain president for long, though. MacArthur will overthrow him if he gets elected, and Long retreats back to his powerbase in the South and the three-way civil war will happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I finally saw Germany win the war in Kaiserreich. It happened because they got sucked into a war in China over the AOG that dragged on and on so they lost their peacetime IC modifier in like 1937 and just outproduced France.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Man, those EU4 screenshots. 1.13 really is like an entirely different game.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I kinda wonder if Switzerland will be a viable nation with all those new mechanics, could be fun to turn entire Europe neutral by force.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone ever written alt-hist fiction about a Huey Long presidency?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Oh haha I get it, I must be using a Windows 95 computer still :rolleyes:

I'm not Johan.

If the 3D graphics in our games is causing your computer to chug, you probably are on Windows 95, was my point. If not, HOI4 will not perform better with counters.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Alchenar posted:

One of the things I really liked about GalCiv was the Good/Evil decisions you could take, whereby you could either help the non-spacefaring natives of the planet you've colonised into your empire and allow space for them, or decide that they are delicious with a side of salad.

It makes me wish some of the options in Distant Worlds had more depth of them, since you could assign polices for conquered planets like simply assimilating or extermination to resettling the population to your penal colonies re-education colonies.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wiz posted:

If the 3D graphics in our games is causing your computer to chug, you probably are on Windows 95, was my point. If not, HOI4 will not perform better with counters.

EU IV's graphics cause my 4-year-old integrated chipset to chug, but the models have absolutely nothing to do with it for what it's worth.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Wiz posted:

Good to know I shouldn't buy HoI4 then. :shepicide:

EDIT: Actually, I shouldn't. Not even joking. I hate the military aspect of all Paradox games. I can't even stand March of the Eagles, why would I try to play another pdox game centered around warfare?

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular

Good to know I shouldn't buy HoI4 then. :shepicide:

EDIT: Actually, I shouldn't. Not even joking. I hate the military aspect of all Paradox games. I can't even stand March of the Eagles, why would I try to play another pdox game centered around warfare?

Because greater Serbia needs you

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Srbija. Come on dude.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Srbja. Come on man.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I think you all mean Greater Older Bulgaria :agesilaus:

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Yeah don't you upstarts all mean B Y Z A N T I N Y?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I think we all forgot the real ancient empire.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still could not conquer Great Ceylon.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

A friend convinced me to start playing Neptune's Pride and I am amazed at how good it is for a FTP browser game. I never expected to be so into one. It makes me yearn for an advanced version that keeps the basic planetary management and straight-forward combat and conquest mechanics, and just added flavor and detail. It is a basic/simplistic version of most of what I am looking for in a space strategy game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pakled posted:

So, a CK1 portrait pack then? :v:

Does this exist? I much preferred CK1's portraits, so it would be nice to have those without having to play CK1.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

I think we all forgot the real ancient empire.

What insanity is that from? Kim Jong Un's teenage fanfiction?

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
So you guys remember in the last thread we found that guy who fantasied about Nazi Germany invading the US? He made more posts!

For some context, the three options he's talking about :
1) Status quo ante bellum: The Germans just wanted their pre-WW1 borders but Poland wouldn't give in (Danzig Corridor), so WW2 was unleashed.

2) Continentalist theory: Germany wanted continental hegemony in Europe (autarky, drang nach osten, lebensraum) to rival the USA in the future, a cold war of superpowers.

3) Globalist theory: Germany was after world domination, meaning it had to destroy any opposition from other states

Übermensch posted:

Germany originally just wanted it's World War I borders back plus Czechoslovakia. It was even willing to just let go of all of it's colonies too.
It was never willing to go to war over the land it lost to Denmark or, the low countries, or France, but it would prefer to have them back. I can see them asking for referendums similar to what they wanted in Poland that I will explain shortly.
"Oh you can't have Czechoslovakia" well Czechoslovakia was just a section of the former Austrian-Hungarian empire which collapsed after WWI, and Austria being joined with Germany was just a given, and since Czechoslovakia had such large amounts of German civilians in it and it had only existed for 20 years it just made sense to absorb it too.

Once Poland refused the offer to have a referendum in the corridor to see which country they wanted to stay with, with the other country getting rail lines so it doesn't lose access to Prussia in Germany's case, or the sea in Poland's case, Germany just said "screw it" and invaded.

Once the British and French empire's went to war with Germany and neither one was willing to make peace, and Britain was even going to invade Norway and Sweden as part of their R4 plan which forced Germany to pre-empt it, and then they were going to invade across the Rhineland, Germany did yadayadayada and France made peace with Germany. By this point Britain STILL wouldn't make peace with Germany and the Soviets were gearing up for Operation Thunderstorm which was the invasion of the European Axis so Germany rapidly realized that they were probably going to have to go for Option 2 if they wanted peace at last.

But at no point did Germany ever want to go for option 3 nor was it really ever capable of doing so even if it wanted to.

MAYBE if it defeated all opposition in Europe and there were still forces outside of the continent that refused to make peace and continued to wage war from wherever they were at, then Germany could have spent time building up and going after them to finish them off.

So MAYBE we could see an invasion of the United States in like 1948 or something if the US refused to make peace even after the Axis had eliminated all their foes in the European continent.

But even then it wouldn't be for anything other than to just eliminate the threat and once the US made peace or was destroyed I can easily see relatively unchanged borders but I bet Japan would get everything in the Pacific and Germany would get everything in the Atlantic and maybe Norfolk as a military base.

So in a nutshell all Germany ever wanted was Option 1 but it was continually forced to up the ante because the Allies just would not kindly f*** off.

:allears:

BillBear fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 30, 2015

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
4) Hot Potatoes theory: new states should be gobbled up before they have a chance to cool down, it just makes sense

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

BillBear posted:

So you guys remember in the last thread we found that guy who fantasied about Nazi Germany invading the US? He made more posts!

For some context, the three options he's talking about :
1) Status quo ante bellum: The Germans just wanted their pre-WW1 borders but Poland wouldn't give in (Danzig Corridor), so WW2 was unleashed.

2) Continentalist theory: Germany wanted continental hegemony in Europe (autarky, drang nach osten, lebensraum) to rival the USA in the future, a cold war of superpowers.

3) Globalist theory: Germany was after world domination, meaning it had to destroy any opposition from other states

:allears:

Poor Germany, all they wanted was to be left alone. WW2 is the fault of those Allied fucks :argh:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I dunno about you guys, but personally I think Paradox sold out to the casuals because they're not including NATO counters in Stellaris. :colbert:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

DrSunshine posted:

I dunno about you guys, but personally I think Paradox sold out to the casuals because they're not including NATO counters in Stellaris. :colbert:

They began catering to the casuals when they stopped using Windows 95 to power their forums.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
All I want from HoI4 is the ability to build the Normandy Defense Museum, using captured Allied soliders, to celebrate the brave German boys who gave their lives defending the Reich and the deaths of the villainous multitudes which beset her.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Where in all of this theory does he address the whole Holocaust bit? I'm curious to see how that can be blamed on Great Britain or the Soviet Union.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
He later on got banned in the thread by the community mod for citing his sources from holocaust denial sites, so we'll never know. :v:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Well if it never happened it's not really fair to blame anyone for it is it? More allied smear propaganda.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

Well if it never happened it's not really fair to blame anyone for it is it? More allied smear propaganda.
And besides, the Holocaust was just the natural result of continued Jewish aggression against the peaceful German people. Mess with the eagle and you get the talons.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Chief Savage Man posted:

Where in all of this theory does he address the whole Holocaust bit? I'm curious to see how that can be blamed on Great Britain or the Soviet Union.

Well if the Soviet Union just gave way and let Germany have the Arkangelsk-Astrakhan line as status quo antebellum borders they could have just deported them instead of having to take more drastic measures.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

While it is easy to pick on PDX forums at times, I do want to say some people are able to have fun on them :)

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/america-should-have-the-most-handsome-soldiers.884572/#post-20024871

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Hey Paradox will you ever consider trying alternate history DLC for your games?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Crowsbeak posted:

Hey Paradox will you ever consider trying alternate history DLC for your games?

They tried with Sunset Invasion for Crusader Kings II but after the backlash from dumbasses on the Pdox forums I doubt they'll try again.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A timelapse video of the Black Ice mod for HOI3 that doesn't end quite like how you might expect.

EDIT: Holy poo poo I just realized how goddamn clickbaity that sounds. I'm really sorry, I swear to god I wasn't doing it on purpose. It's an AI-only/observer game that goes off the rails.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 1, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

They tried with Sunset Invasion for Crusader Kings II but after the backlash from dumbasses on the Pdox forums I doubt they'll try again.
If backlash on the forums stopped them they would never release another game or expansion.

I expect the bigger problem is finding some sort of expansion niche since Sunset Invasion is cool but sort of a slapdash idea/implementation. But making an expansion something like Kaiserreich is a fairly large undertaking even in the recent scheme of expansions basically being new games.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

gradenko_2000 posted:

A timelapse video of the Black Ice mod for HOI3 that doesn't end quite like how you might expect.

The Greatest Oldest Bulgaria

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

The Armageddon expansion for HOI2 involved alternate history and IIRC got a similar backlash at the time so I don't think they care.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

EDIT: Holy poo poo I just realized how goddamn clickbaity that sounds. I'm really sorry, I swear to god I wasn't doing it on purpose. It's an AI-only/observer game that goes off the rails.

Didn't end with the John Cena meme, I'm pretty disappointed.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

While it is easy to pick on PDX forums at times, I do want to say some people are able to have fun on them :)

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/america-should-have-the-most-handsome-soldiers.884572/#post-20024871
Hopefully Paradox takes note of the real life size differences between the warring nations, and reflect it in the army men who stomp around and do push-ups on the map. This will be even more useful if anyone makes a WW1 mod, since at that time Americans and Brits were way taller and bigger than continental Europeans.

zedprime posted:

I expect the bigger problem is finding some sort of expansion niche since Sunset Invasion is cool but sort of a slapdash idea/implementation. But making an expansion something like Kaiserreich is a fairly large undertaking even in the recent scheme of expansions basically being new games.
Though the new system which I can't remember the name of which allows for various paths to take for your nation does open up the possibility for more easily producing scenarios, by giving any scenario a clear structure which to build it around. It might not be as in-depth, but it'd still be a significant step up from just drawing new borders and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

zedprime posted:

If backlash on the forums stopped them they would never release another game or expansion.

HOI4 seems ripe for this sort of expansion. I would love the poo poo out of an actual, fully fleshed-out version of the Abyss/Armageddon scenario from HOI2, which I still think was an amazing idea with horrendous execution. Seems like it would be a natural choice for multiplayer as well.

Or just Plantinean War DLC.