Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

hooman posted:

Can somebody change the thread title to:

Rugby World Cup 2015: Operation Ruin it for England

Also, good god the Welsh inside center looks like Chesty Bond and a granite cliff had a lovechild.

Jamie Roberts? He's the biggest and most terrifying fully-qualified medical doctor you'll ever meet.

Edit: yes to the thread title change!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

fallingdownjoe posted:

Jamie Roberts? He's the biggest and most terrifying fully-qualified medical doctor you'll ever meet.

Edit: yes to the thread title change!

Jannie Du Plessis may beg to differ.

Finally got a chance to watch the Wales England game with my dad (he's Welsh), cracking game.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

fallingdownjoe posted:

My doctor is the greatest Welsh captain of all time, and I never realised they were the same person, until 70 minutes through watching a documentary about his life. He looks exactly the loving same now, as when he played rugby. :doh:

I have a prescription for really strong painkiller that's he's written for me, and I'm torn between exchanging it for vital medicine, or keeping his autograph, and living my life in constant pain!

:wales:

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Jamie Roberts was actually constructed in a lab to look like an old Scottish children's comic character called Desperate Dan:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Tyma posted:

My doctor is the greatest Welsh captain of all time, and I never realised they were the same person, until 70 minutes through watching a documentary about his life. He looks exactly the loving same now, as when he played rugby. :doh:

I have a prescription for really strong painkiller that's he's written for me, and I'm torn between exchanging it for vital medicine, or keeping his autograph, and living my life in constant pain!

I have no idea who your doctor is but I do know my favourite Welsh captain is Ieuan Evans who (along with Adrian Davies) stayed at my family home during the Welsh Tour of Australia in 1991. This was back when touring rugby teams were billeted with volunteers from local clubs. :australia:

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

Jamie Roberts was actually constructed in a lab to look like an old Scottish children's comic character called Desperate Dan:

His nickname is unsurprisingly "Jaw"
Like most of the Welsh team they're lovely boys unless you make them angry.

pioneermax
May 25, 2003
Remember, you are not a salmon

Tyma posted:

Didn't realise Mervyn Davis became a GP

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/gordon-d-arcy-burgess-is-blunder-that-could-bury-england-1.2371821

Gordon D'Arcy goes to town on Burgess and Barritt.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nice quick dig at Quade to close on as well.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Hard to disagree with any of it. I continue to feel somewhat sorry for Burgess and Barritt as Lancaster is putting them in situations that completely expose their weaknesses and give the no opportunity to show off their strengths.

It's bafflingly moronic coaching from a man who's been much more sensible in the past

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Points out the weird gaps in the team as well. If he HAD to pick Burgess (the media probably would have sulked like toddlers if he hadn't), and he HAD to play him against Wales, why the gently caress didn't he have another centre on the bench?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

It does make me wonder if there is some sort of directive from above telling him to take Burgess now that they've spent so much money and time luring him away from league. It's really the only thing I can think of because Lancaster isn't a stupid coach and must surely know that you need more than just straight running to compete in a world cup, especially when you're playing against Wales and Gatland that are very familiar with the England set up.

Or it could just be that Andy Farrell has more influence than we know and Lancaster is dumb.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Where is this Lancaster isn't a stupid coach idea coming from?
He played Mike Brown on the wing for like an entire season ffs.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Burgess and Barritt at 12 and 13 just screams to the opposition that you're planning on hitting it up inside 9 and 10 for a whole game because the ball will never get past both of your centres. They'll tackle but you'll never see Brad Barritt hit a line or take his opposite number on the outside. England have a scary back 3 but when 12 and 13 are so one dimensional they look like poo poo going forward. I still have a sneaking suspicion they'll be in the Quarters but I'd love to see them go out.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
England's coaching and general "rugby sense" is questionable from top to bottom. From the selections, to the tactics, to the decisions. They're back to where they were for almost a decade with having a devastating back three and blackholes in the centres. Nothing learned.
Even ignoring all the mistakes they made on the pitch they were one decision away that had them the opportunity of either a win or a draw.

They should have known going in that given the status of bonus point wins between the three teams vying for the two berths, and the games left, that a draw left them in much the same position as a win would have. And a loss left them at sea.

Their captain should have known that the percentage play there is to take the kick. Even if you miss, you have time and position to attempt another. He should know this simply because it's something drilled into rugby players from youth level to test level. He should know because it's a decision he has made mistakes on previously.
Even if you ignore all of that, and think that maybe, in the heat of the moment, in the aftermath of Japan's effort, that a kick to touch was the right idea, you do not throw to no2 in the resulting lineout. You throw deep, and set back so if the maul fails you can at least drop one over. This is basic, basic stuff.

I just genuinely hope that Englands illegal scrumming gets picked up on in their matches too, so even more of their decision making unravels them.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Australia name same 15 who faced Fiji for England match.

15 Israel Folau
14 Adam Ashley-Cooper
13 Tevita Kuridrani
12 Matt Giteau
11 Rob Horne
10 Bernard Foley
9 Will Genia
8 David Pocock
7 Michael Hooper
6 Scott Fardy
5 Rob Simmons
4 Kane Douglas
3 Sekope Kepu
2 Stephen Moore (c)
1 Scott Sio

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What's the reason for Wales not playing in red today? I take it they're classed as the home team because they're listed first, and there's no colour clash with Fiji... just feels weird to put us in alternate colours at home for no reason, unless it's out of spite. I always presume spite.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

What's the reason for Wales not playing in red today? I take it they're classed as the home team because they're listed first, and there's no colour clash with Fiji... just feels weird to put us in alternate colours at home for no reason, unless it's out of spite. I always presume spite.

money

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
The reason is money.

Are you joining Welsh Rugby Goon Party for a Cheeky Nandolos in Cardiff before the match?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Scotland have 3 guys who can speak Afrikaans in their starting team against South Africa, should make the lineout throws interesting.

Here is the team to face SA. Finn Russell is still out with an ankle injury and John Hardie is recovering from a head knock. It also looks like Bennett is being rested for the Samoa game. With Weir at 10 I don't think Scotland can win this but they can probably keep it close though. Samoa remains the must win game.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tyma posted:

The reason is money.

Are you joining Welsh Rugby Goon Party for a Cheeky Nandolos in Cardiff before the match?

I should never have doubted that money plays an even more important role than spite.

I'm finishing work in an hour or so, then will probably hit the City Arms for a pint, going to the fanzone to see what it's like (my friends seemed to enjoy it) then make sure we're in the stadium nice and early so we see any pre-kick stuff.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
South Africa by ~30 if Scotland play like they did last game.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

EL BROMANCE posted:

I should never have doubted that money plays an even more important role than spite.

I'm finishing work in an hour or so, then will probably hit the City Arms for a pint, going to the fanzone to see what it's like (my friends seemed to enjoy it) then make sure we're in the stadium nice and early so we see any pre-kick stuff.

They currently have the Webb Ellis trophy in the fanzone in its own little PopeMobile. I've been making my family jealous by sending them all the photo of me gurning whilst standing next to it.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Pint after the match? Were parked in roath, so were hoping to head out in that direction to avoid crowds.

JoeSchmoe
Jul 17, 2003

I can't believe I'm going to be stuck in a bloody office on (a) such a lovely day while (b) rugby happens.

Will have to make do with BBC Radio Wales coverage!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Fiji are training in a school near where I live and apparently have been lovely about the place, which is all I need to justify cheering them on.

They're going to lose though :(

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tonga have been eating in Nando's every day.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Tyma and I have a bet, the loser of which gets Priestlanded. I reckon Wales will lose another player this game, whilst Tyma reckons we won't.

I have a photo of a handshake if required.

I can also see John Inverdale on the pitch, presumably talking about England.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

fallingdownjoe posted:

Tyma and I have a bet, the loser of which gets Priestlanded. I reckon Wales will lose another player this game, whilst Tyma reckons we won't.

I have a photo of a handshake if required.

I can also see John Inverdale on the pitch, presumably talking about England.

He's talking about Rafa nadal for some reason
Edit: it was some bizarre intro into a Biggar lovefest.

stavros880 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 1, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I tuned in too early.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

goatface posted:

Tonga have been eating in Nando's every day.

A good reason to root for them

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
Is there any reason the official store doesn't have much merch? I need a new rugby ball and I wanted to pick one from one of the smaller teams but they only seem to be carried by weird resellers, the official store just has a few big teams.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How do you manage to cock up the audio balance this consistently?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

goatface posted:

South Africa by ~30 if Scotland play like they did last game.

Scotland by 10 is SA play like they did against Japan.

Who am I kidding, we're hosed.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

goatface posted:

How do you manage to cock up the audio balance this consistently?

It was terrible. Did they forget to point any microphones at the crowd or the singers?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Destroyenator posted:

Is there any reason the official store doesn't have much merch? I need a new rugby ball and I wanted to pick one from one of the smaller teams but they only seem to be carried by weird resellers, the official store just has a few big teams.

They're bad. If you want a "rare" ball you're better off buying one from Gilbert direct. Probably a bit more expensive though.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Easy poach.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Learn how to scrum Wales

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Cuthbert off after that bang to the head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fallingdownjoe posted:

I reckon you're hosed, mate.