Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

hey guys hey. i read the first page and then skipped to the last one but could you guys please use a lot more british words and slang? ive seen some "m8" and "chaps" but its not enough for me.

ill do some US slang now if you want

well tarnation ah ope i don get bucked offa mah horse and land in my spittoon. wouldn't wanna scuff mah cowboy hat or get mah apple pie dirty neither

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

hey guys hey. i read the first page and then skipped to the last one but could you guys please use a lot more british words and slang? ive seen some "m8" and "chaps" but its not enough for me.

well tarnation ah ope i don get bucked offa mah horse and land in my spittoon. wouldn't wanna scuff mah cowboy hat or get mah apple pie dirty neither

Taff is a oval office

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

you're being a bellend

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Vitamins posted:

hmm the dogs are getting revenge for all of the poisonings, watch out fraction!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-34388282

a man with a pug, a shameful man

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

do one, ya plum.

Though speaking of slang, discovered a word in my vocabulary which appears to have never made it out of North Bedfordshire - "skanked" meaning to intentionally ditch someone. Nobody in my mates who didn't grow up in Bedford in the 90s/early 2000s has ever heard it.

Post obscure very specific regional slang itt.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We going right, you all reit wi it? Reet then.

We are going right, are you ok with that? It's all sorted out then. The many uses of the word right brought to you by north Derbyshire.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Bozza posted:

do one, ya plum.

Though speaking of slang, discovered a word in my vocabulary which appears to have never made it out of North Bedfordshire - "skanked" meaning to intentionally ditch someone. Nobody in my mates who didn't grow up in Bedford in the 90s/early 2000s has ever heard it.

Post obscure very specific regional slang itt.

Skanked was a word we used around here growing up, but it was used to describe when someone stole something.

"I skanked this pen of that nob in science"

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
In primary school pimps meant easy. That's pimps that la. Proper pimps.

Not sure if that was entirely localised to my primary though.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Skanked meant you gyped someone out of something.

I think mardy is regional which is insane. It's a great word.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

skanking is a kind of dance done by ska fans

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
Good deed for the day done, found a stray dog and got him back to his owner. Celebrating with a coffee and a burning desire for more sleepy dog cuddles.

Content: In Durham a dandelion was a pittle-le-bed, I liked to shuggy (swing) on tree branches, though it also got used in a similar way to 'shuggle' (to shake something relatively gently, such as sausages in a frying pan.) but I think that gets used in lots of places.

Fingerless Gloves, you aren't the only one - pimps was a thing at my school too, figured it was only us though given I've never heard it anywhere else.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
if something is skanky it means its kinda nasty or dirty

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

skanking is fishing using little bits of bread for bait

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxdyizqsPy8

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

learnincurve posted:

We going right, you all reit wi it? Reet then.

We are going right, are you ok with that? It's all sorted out then. The many uses of the word right brought to you by north Derbyshire.

lol I hear this poo poo all day at work

areet youth

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Eeh yon capcha is coosty barry, mahagger barakoosh. Diven be a radge gadgie and claip on that manashee or I’ll be fuckin’ ladged ya rootle. Let’s spend proper lowie (20 bar and 50 wing) on gum and get peeved then see if ya can get yer bull, goozle CH! Then we’ll gan for a screev down the Mad Mile. I’m gonna put on my new plafs to feast yer yeks on.

Born and bred in Berwick. That's just the tip of the iceberg. You can't win this.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

loving hell, I understood maybe half of that. It's puah sharn man.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Party Boat posted:

loving hell, I understood maybe half of that. It's puah sharn man.

Haha! It does get a bit dense from the Romany origins of a lot of it mixed in with the Scots and NE stuff.

Translation for those not cursed with growing up there:

"Well I do declare, your girlfriend over there is great/amazing/gorgeous/beautiful, my friend [barakoosh for emphasis - I don't think anyone ever knows what it really means]. Don't be a crazy man and grass on that woman [reasons unexplained in my poor narrative as to what she's guilty of] or I'll be really embarrassed, you idiot. Let's spend some serious money (£20 and 50p) on alcohol and get drunk then see if you can gently caress her, [goozle is sort of a friendly "mate" thing suggesting they're a bit mental - CH is just another emphasis that Berwickers will add to the end of any sentence like a full stop]. Then we'll go for a very fast drive down a particularly treacherous stretch of the Berwick bypass where many have died doing the same. I'm going to put on my new shoes for you to look upon favourably with your eyes."

Can't believe I didn't slip a shan/sharn in there! That was shan of me :(

franco fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 30, 2015

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I counter what Franco said with everything my North Yorkshire farmer grandfather said for the last 20 years of his life.

granddad posted:

aye

Pedricko
Apr 7, 2008
Finally bought a tablet :haw:

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Cyanide I hope

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Don't eat it all in one go, you'll make yourself sick :scotland:

e: whoah

franco
Jan 3, 2003

learnincurve posted:

I counter what Franco said with everything my North Yorkshire farmer grandfather said for the last 20 years of his life.

Well what can I say? Yorkshireman born and bred, strong in't arm, weak in't 'ed.

I'll come round ya keer and bray yee, ye lood CH. I shall arrive at your place of residence and engage in victorious fisticuffs with you, you numbskull !

That girlfriend is capcha (capture) in Berwickese still cracks me up. Literally a "dragged back to cave by hair" sentiment!

Pedricko
Apr 7, 2008

The Big Taff Man posted:

Cyanide I hope

:allears:

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

my tablet is very old now and i only use it for marvel unlimited

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Phoon posted:

Well they say peoples tablets reflect their owners

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Who says that

Why would they say it

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Phoon posted:

Phoon is Stan Lee???

franco
Jan 3, 2003

The Big Taff Man posted:

Cyanide I hope

I'll take "Things that the Welsh are also terrible at." for $300, Alex

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Both those wrestlers are english tho?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

franco posted:

Eeh yon capcha is coosty barry, mahagger barakoosh. Diven be a radge gadgie and claip on that manashee or I’ll be fuckin’ ladged ya rootle. Let’s spend proper lowie (20 bar and 50 wing) on gum and get peeved then see if ya can get yer bull, goozle CH! Then we’ll gan for a screev down the Mad Mile. I’m gonna put on my new plafs to feast yer yeks on.

Born and bred in Berwick. That's just the tip of the iceberg. You can't win this.

its like reading an even stranger irvine welsh novel

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

We have apple pie too, you know.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

gor blimey wot the fook

Fluo
May 25, 2007

its like reading an even stranger irvine welsh novel

you 'avin a giggle mate

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
bristol goons do yourself a favour and go down to castle park and get a falafel wrap from edna's kitchen, god-tier food.

other uk goons where are your favourite falafel places? if you don't like falafels i dont care because you're wrong about life.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

NaDy posted:

bristol goons do yourself a favour and go down to castle park and get a falafel wrap from edna's kitchen, god-tier food.

other uk goons where are your favourite falafel places? if you don't like falafels i dont care because you're wrong about life.

Already done that many a times :D

my favourite falafel is in st nicks market with hummus by the flower shop down the side though :D

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
My mum just sent me a message panicking about her guarantor application for my new flat, they apparently want a copy of her payslip.

Turns out she lied about her income because she was worried she didn't earn enough to be viable.

How hosed does this make me or does it not count for much?

Also the best falafel I've had is either in the Kasbah in Liverpool or at a street vendor in Shoreditch. But I have not eaten enough falafel to give a real opinion.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Fluo posted:

Already done that many a times :D

my favourite falafel is in st nicks market with hummus by the flower shop down the side though :D

oh yeah thats a good one too, they pack their pittas loads so you know you're gonna be full afterwards.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

lizardlounge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Fingerless Gloves posted:

My mum just sent me a message panicking about her guarantor application for my new flat, they apparently want a copy of her payslip.

Turns out she lied about her income because she was worried she didn't earn enough to be viable.

How hosed does this make me or does it not count for much?

Also the best falafel I've had is either in the Kasbah in Liverpool or at a street vendor in Shoreditch. But I have not eaten enough falafel to give a real opinion.

how much is the difference