Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Hermetic posted:

Hi Someone Awful!

It's less the defeatism being scummy, but the tone of it. Like he's feigning defeatism and trying to get us to back off. He has an attitude of "Go ahead and lynch me...BUT YOU'LL BE SORRY!" It feels a tad off to me.

I do agree that there are better candidates, though keeping me on your scumdar isn't the worst idea. My lack of posting and appearance of bandwagoning is a bit scummy, I admit.

I'd still be more inclined to believe biaga as a dumb newbie non-vanilla town than scum tbqh (note: not fishing for power roles, this is just my opinion)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Someone Awful! posted:

I'd still be more inclined to believe biaga as a dumb newbie non-vanilla town than scum tbqh (note: not fishing for power roles, this is just my opinion)

or maybe he's a jester :unsmigghh:

i don't actually believe biaga is a jester

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Someone Awful! posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna feel dumb as gently caress if he's got a useful power and we make him do a mid-air jig. That said, he's the closest thing to a viable option. I'm in the same boat as you: There are a few people that feel off to me, but all I have is gut right now, and I'd rather not just throw around a bunch of "U FEEL LIEK SKUM 2 ME" accusations. That seems useless at best, scummy at worst.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hermetic posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna feel dumb as gently caress if he's got a useful power and we make him do a mid-air jig. That said, he's the closest thing to a viable option. I'm in the same boat as you: There are a few people that feel off to me, but all I have is gut right now, and I'd rather not just throw around a bunch of "U FEEL LIEK SKUM 2 ME" accusations. That seems useless at best, scummy at worst.

There's still almost 2 days left before the deadline. Saying that Biaga is the closest thing to a viable option is a little premature.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good heavens, you guys posted a lot while I was raiding. Hooray content! Catching up now...

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
OK I tried to organize things by person, but this is what jumped out at me when doing a full reread. Will break it up into a couple of posts for ease of discussion.

Biaga

Biaga posted:

First part, this is not my first werewolf style game but it is my first real push into playing without face to face interaction. Continually I know at this rate I will either be dead in the first day or the first night.

Also, you don't think I have already stirred the pot? (abeit unintentionally).

Personally I would start to look at the people who on the first day are prepared to draw blood. The town gains nothing by cutting out members, especially at a time where there is no real proof of alignment outside of speculation and suggestion.

Biaga posted:

You guys are seeing shadows, but I think that's your point at this rate.

Vote and get it over with, you're just going to be down a townie.

The first day is all about increasing tension, there is no reason for it except to build the game up. By pitching people against each other on the first day you have people chasing their tails and blaming each other and increasing group distrust.

I get that it's the point. We will see how this game goes.

Other people have already pointed this out so I won't belabor the point, but this is a crappy attitude to take as town. If you're town and getting accused, what you want to be doing is talking through what you think you've found and who might be a better choice instead, instead of getting grumpy and defeatist. It's not over till the hammer drops - even when you're getting votes, you can be providing valuable information to town!

Also the more people post and probe each other's posting, the better of a chance you have at catching scum slipping and saying something they shouldn't. That's why stirring up a little bit of conflict or putting votes on people to get a reaction can be useful, and I think you're perhaps not used to that? I'd like to see more out of you over the rest of d1 and who you think could be scum! Like, you say Kashuno is scum. Why do you think that, and why is your conviction of that fact not enough to put a vote on him? Don't be shy - you could have caught a tell the rest of us missed! It's how I nailed scum in Emoji.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Hermetic posted:

I just like getting my opinions out there even if they're unsubstantiated and lovely because it makes me actually think about people, and maybe makes other people think about people too

plus sometimes people go "what the gently caress why would you say such a stupid thing???????" and it makes me realize errors in my logic which helps me find scum better!!! successes all around. and if it leads to me getting hanged, well uh, at least people know what my thoughts were

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gabriel Pope posted:

Newbie scum really, really hate being called out and get frustrated very quickly. One early vote and one nonvoting cast of suspicion should not be enough to throw your hands in the air and give up--and for town players it usually isn't.

Biaga, if you're not scum the best way to prove it is by making useful scumhunting contributions, not just jokeposting. Stir things up, poke at people, get some reactions, do work son.

Mafia Edit: Oh, Gabriel Pope said everything I did in a more concise way. :negative: If you're town, don't give up!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Podima posted:

OK I tried to organize things by person, but this is what jumped out at me when doing a full reread. Will break it up into a couple of posts for ease of discussion.

Biaga

Other people have already pointed this out so I won't belabor the point, but this is a crappy attitude to take as town. If you're town and getting accused, what you want to be doing is talking through what you think you've found and who might be a better choice instead, instead of getting grumpy and defeatist. It's not over till the hammer drops - even when you're getting votes, you can be providing valuable information to town!

Also the more people post and probe each other's posting, the better of a chance you have at catching scum slipping and saying something they shouldn't. That's why stirring up a little bit of conflict or putting votes on people to get a reaction can be useful, and I think you're perhaps not used to that? I'd like to see more out of you over the rest of d1 and who you think could be scum! Like, you say Kashuno is scum. Why do you think that, and why is your conviction of that fact not enough to put a vote on him? Don't be shy - you could have caught a tell the rest of us missed! It's how I nailed scum in Emoji.

this x a million

Getting cased/getting votes on you is not the worst thing ever, if you are town, because if you're honest and defend yourself then the scum (and others who believe you are not Town) have to twist your words to make you look bad, which leads to Scum saying things we can pick up on that will lead to us finding Scum, either instead of your hanging or after you're hanged

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hermetic

Hermetic posted:

But with a newbie, there's always the chance they might blurt without asking, or misinterpret coaching.

Hell, if we want to get really tinfoil, they may have been coached to make a blunder, so someone can talk them out of it, and get them through day 1 with an aura of "newbie town" about them....

Do we really want to go down the WIFOM rabbit hole this early? Bringing that into the conversation strikes me as a way to try and obfuscate the point.

Hermetic posted:

Hi Someone Awful!

It's less the defeatism being scummy, but the tone of it. Like he's feigning defeatism and trying to get us to back off. He has an attitude of "Go ahead and lynch me...BUT YOU'LL BE SORRY!" It feels a tad off to me.

I do agree that there are better candidates, though keeping me on your scumdar isn't the worst idea. My lack of posting and appearance of bandwagoning is a bit scummy, I admit.

I don't know what the ~SA Meta~ is per se, but this kind of "oh gosh I guess I look kinda bad" sheepishness tends to rub me the wrong way. If you're not scum, why would you call attention to yourself acting scummy? :confused: I don't want to get into even more WIFOM stuff but this is worth keeping an eye on.

Hermetic posted:

Why not call out other people for doing scummy things? I don't want to be repetitive, but that's how you find scum.

I don't feel the need to vote based on this yet, but I'm calling it out so you realize how you're coming across (to me, at least).

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

We still have a long time until deadline and I'd like to hear more from sirsamvimes and tommunist and colonel corazon so if you three could post some posts that'd be cool and good

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That should be good for now, I don't want to stifle conversation by dumping a ton of cases at once. For the time being I'm going to ##vote colonel corazon for being the worst lurker atm with 4 posts, but will take another look at people who have posted tomorrow.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Mafia Edit: :argh: Someone Awful!!!!

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Podima posted:

I don't know what the ~SA Meta~ is per se, but this kind of "oh gosh I guess I look kinda bad" sheepishness tends to rub me the wrong way. If you're not scum, why would you call attention to yourself acting scummy? :confused: I don't want to get into even more WIFOM stuff but this is worth keeping an eye on.

I'm just bein' honest. If something I do looks a bit scummy, I'd rather call it out than be all :ninja: about it.

Podima posted:

Why not call out other people for doing scummy things? I don't want to be repetitive, but that's how you find scum.

Because there's no case. My gut feelings are probably not going to sway anyone. Evidence is everything in Mafia, Mr. Wright.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Hermetic posted:

I'm just bein' honest. If something I do looks a bit scummy, I'd rather call it out than be all :ninja: about it.

Because there's no case. My gut feelings are probably not going to sway anyone. Evidence is everything in Mafia, Mr. Wright.

IMO it's still worth getting feelings out there. maybe quote posts that set off your gut "they're scum!" responses, even if you can't justify it, to get other people looking at those points too? Maybe they'll be able to articulate it for you in a way that'll make sense to others

Not that I'm suggesting being lazy and letting everyone else make cases for you, but generating content > not generating content

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Someone Awful! posted:

IMO it's still worth getting feelings out there. maybe quote posts that set off your gut "they're scum!" responses, even if you can't justify it, to get other people looking at those points too? Maybe they'll be able to articulate it for you in a way that'll make sense to others

Not that I'm suggesting being lazy and letting everyone else make cases for you, but generating content > not generating content

Fair. I'll give things a looksee in the morning or early afternoon tomorrow and make a post. In the mean time, sleep and work, sleep and work.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Someone Awful! posted:

We still have a long time until deadline and I'd like to hear more from sirsamvimes and tommunist and colonel corazon so if you three could post some posts that'd be cool and good

I'm kinda got attention divided at the second, but will give thread a once over and post before i go to bed.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Biaga's following posts have just made me feel better about my vote on them. Not only the advocating a no lynch (and recommending people who want to lynch d1 lol), they've started going with the "I'm going to get lynched, might as well not bother defending myself" thing which is also a very anti town playstyle. If you want to not seem scummy, give some opinions on who you think IS scum. Don't worry about being wrong, you can change your opinion as more information/posts happen.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Biaga's following posts have just made me feel better about my vote on them. Not only the advocating a no lynch (and recommending people who want to lynch d1 lol), they've started going with the "I'm going to get lynched, might as well not bother defending myself" thing which is also a very anti town playstyle. If you want to not seem scummy, give some opinions on who you think IS scum. Don't worry about being wrong, you can change your opinion as more information/posts happen.

sam, bro

i kind of hope you're scum because if you aren't this is pretty much the weakest and easiest d1 case to choose to push!!!

Do you have any opinions on anyone else, like maybe kashuno or hermetic?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Podima posted:

That should be good for now, I don't want to stifle conversation by dumping a ton of cases at once. For the time being I'm going to ##vote colonel corazon for being the worst lurker atm with 4 posts, but will take another look at people who have posted tomorrow.

We are less than 24 hours into the day and you're pushing a lurker lynch wtf

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Someone Awful! posted:

sam, bro

i kind of hope you're scum because if you aren't this is pretty much the weakest and easiest d1 case to choose to push!!!

Do you have any opinions on anyone else, like maybe kashuno or hermetic?

Kash looks fine so far. We're both on the same page with regards to squinting suspiciously at Biaga for this, and he rightly boggles at Corazon for doing a lurker poke so early. Hermetic I'm not sure about, I don't like how hedgy he's being but that might be newbie hesitance.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Biaga posted:

Ill take the hit, but before I go I am going to call it. Kashuno is scum.

I would like it if you post cases, reasoning, and votes. If you are town, posting analysis is the only weapon you have to help hunt scum; the posts you've been making are not helpful to town and seem more like scum dodging generating content in fear they will make their scum bros look bad or accidentally slip something.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

After sleeping on it, I'm leaning towards Biaga just being town, new, and feeling like he's already shot himself in the foot. I can see the case for it being a scum tell, but I'm leaning the other way. We have a whole day+ before hammer, though, so there's lots to talk about still.

Kashuno, can you explain what you mean by this response to Gabriel Pope's vote on Biaga?

Kashuno posted:

this is a weird insinuation

Because I still don't get it. I came through the same conclusion as Gabriel Pope.

I see your vote on Biaga following his following posts, and I can get why you'd see those as scum crumbling under pressure.

Biaga posted:

Ill take the hit, but before I go I am going to call it. Kashuno is scum.

Biaga, you really need to provide a case for this because this just looks scummy for you.

TMMadman posted:

More like people seem to be in a real hurry to jump on a new guy for what basically amounts to awkwardness.

He's got one thing right, Kash is scum.

TMMadman, why do you think Kash is scum?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

And now I'm off to work, so I'll be checking on my phone throughout the day.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

After sleeping on it, I'm leaning towards Biaga just being town, new, and feeling like he's already shot himself in the foot. I can see the case for it being a scum tell, but I'm leaning the other way. We have a whole day+ before hammer, though, so there's lots to talk about still.

Kashuno, can you explain what you mean by this response to Gabriel Pope's vote on Biaga?

Because I still don't get it. I came through the same conclusion as Gabriel Pope.

I see your vote on Biaga following his following posts, and I can get why you'd see those as scum crumbling under pressure.

I don't know how you saw it as a sarcastic dig on biaga when it actually had a vote attached to it.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

It's a pressure vote to wake him up - he posted a lot of great reads during Mad Max, but has been weirdly quiet this game so far.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Kashuno posted:

I don't know how you saw it as a sarcastic dig on biaga when it actually had a vote attached to it.

I thought we were still in a jokephase. Then discussion began more in earnest. You can see that I started taking it more seriously after that.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Biaga (3): Gabriel Pope, Kashuno, SirSamVimes, Gabriel Pope, Hermetic
Colonel Corazon (1): Podima
TMMadman (1): Kumbamontu
Kashuno (1): TMMadman, TMMadman, TMMadman
Kumbamontu (0): Podima, Kashuno, Kashuno, Podima

Not Voting (7): Biaga, Colonel Corazon, Gabriel Pope, Green Intern, Nth Doctor, Someone Awful!, Tommunist

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to lynch. The current deadline is October 01st, 2015 at 11:15 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 14 hours.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

i know its been harped a million times but its not a good idea to lynch someone when theres like 38 hours left to go.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hello, wizards! We are just under 24 hours into day one, and I would like to remind everyone of rule 1: DON'T LURK! The minimum acceptable level of posting is, as a rule of thumb, equal to the moderator + votefinder. Some of you are doing just fine, some of you need to post more. If you think you'll be unable to contribute to the game at a level that makes it fun for everyone, let me know and I will figure out a replacement for you.

Preferably, post :)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tommunist posted:

i know its been harped a million times but its not a good idea to lynch someone when theres like 38 hours left to go.

Who are we even close to lynching???

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Kashuno posted:

Who are we even close to lynching???

I mean no one was close but bigga seemed to have a lot of weight on him for what seemed to be more newbie flailing then anything else.

Kashuno posted:

ya i don't get a lurker push here

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Podima posted:

Dumps a load of info on two players then this idk.

Podima posted:

It's a pressure vote to wake him up - he posted a lot of great reads during Mad Max, but has been weirdly quiet this game so far.

it hasn't been a full 24 hours dude chill.

Like given the upbeat content driven nudges you've been giving, it seems weird to suddenly turn to a vote. it feels really inconsistent.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Someone Awful! posted:

these two posts stand out as weird to me, even for jokephase

the thought process here is sound (and i agree with it. make content make content post post post :justpost: ) but i don't think it necessarily makes kumba town; if i were scum I'd probably try to get people off the Biaga lynch because it's a case on a newbie and seems too easy/opportunistic, so i'd maybe earn some townie brownie points for it

i dunno, i agree with almost everything kumba has posted but my gut feels like he's scummy. why this? i don't know??? Like I can't even defend this read it's entirely gut and unsubstantiated

I actually read through the game this morning and I realized I sound kinda condescending in a mafia dad kind of way which is totally not my intent. That's probably what you're picking up on. Gut reads are fine D1, sometimes you just get a nagging feeling without anything hard to back it up. As far as backing off the newbie lynch, your analysis is sound and it's probably exactly what I'd be doing if I was scum. The problem with the analysis though is that newbies tend to get a pass D1 anyway, so me giving him a pass is not really indicative of alignment. I do like your thought process though.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Hermetic posted:

Evidence is demonstrably not everything in mafia - persuasion is. You don't have to be right, you just need to convince others that you're right. Looking for hard evidence that someone is scum is going to be an uphill battle, because everything is subjective.

Hermetic posted:

As people have already stated, looking for a "viable option" this early reeks of trying to take advantage of someone's blunder instead of actually hunting scum. Gut calls are perfectly fine D1 - even if you're wrong, you can get people to respond to your prods and accusations in order to better gauge their alignment. You're coming across as even more defeatist than Biaga is here. This, combined with your tinfoil theory and Podima's analysis of your sheepishness, leads me to believe you are scum.

##vote Hermetic

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kumbamontu posted:

Evidence is demonstrably not everything in mafia - persuasion is. You don't have to be right, you just need to convince others that you're right. Looking for hard evidence that someone is scum is going to be an uphill battle, because everything is subjective.

As people have already stated, looking for a "viable option" this early reeks of trying to take advantage of someone's blunder instead of actually hunting scum. Gut calls are perfectly fine D1 - even if you're wrong, you can get people to respond to your prods and accusations in order to better gauge their alignment. You're coming across as even more defeatist than Biaga is here. This, combined with your tinfoil theory and Podima's analysis of your sheepishness, leads me to believe you are scum.

##vote Hermetic

I really like this argument, and will have to give Hermetic a reread.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Podima posted:

This is a really strange post and I'm not quite sure what to make of it. You spent the time to case two people and then... voted someone else. Do you think Colonel is scum or is this just a lurker prod? nevermind you answered this already

Podima posted:

Do you think putting a single vote on someone 2 days out from deadline is actually pressure enough to get someone to post? Because this seems like posturing to me. I don't think you actually care about that person posting and you instead just wanted to throw out cases on people and not tie a vote to either of them. Especially the first few words of the first quote - "That should be good for now" - it reads like you're just trying to fit in by throwing some light suspicion on people without following up on it by hedging hard and voting someone with no content. Dislike.

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

Podima posted:

Pulled a double at work yesterday. Back at work now but I'll be off at my usual time tonight to do some Effort Posts. :madmax:

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

Kumbamontu posted:

This is a really strange post and I'm not quite sure what to make of it. You spent the time to case two people and then... voted someone else. Do you think Colonel is scum or is this just a lurker prod? nevermind you answered this already

Do you think putting a single vote on someone 2 days out from deadline is actually pressure enough to get someone to post? Because this seems like posturing to me. I don't think you actually care about that person posting and you instead just wanted to throw out cases on people and not tie a vote to either of them. Especially the first few words of the first quote - "That should be good for now" - it reads like you're just trying to fit in by throwing some light suspicion on people without following up on it by hedging hard and voting someone with no content. Dislike.

But yeah agreed. We're not even on deadline day. Voting me now claiming to be pressuring me is pretty bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
everyone wake up and :justpost:

• Locked thread