Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

hazzlebarth posted:

Pissing me off: Coworkers.

Coworker sneezes and pulls up nose all day.

Me: You don't sound too good, maybe drink a nice tea at home so it doesn't get worse?
CW: Hehe, no, I'll pull through.
Me: Just saying, it sounds really bad.
CW: I had worse.
Me: Dude, take a hint and go the gently caress home, I do not want you to spread your disease all over me and this equipment. This is germany, it's not like you won't get paid if you are sick, god damnit. Ok. Hey, listen I have some overtime and am going home now, we can finish this rack tomorrow, bye.
CW: Oh come on, be a man, a little sneeze isn't going to kill you.
Me: ...
"On second thought, I'll be a man and punch you in the mouth."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

hazzlebarth posted:

Pissing me off: Coworkers.

Coworker sneezes and pulls up nose all day.

Me: You don't sound too good, maybe drink a nice tea at home so it doesn't get worse?
CW: Hehe, no, I'll pull through.
Me: Just saying, it sounds really bad.
CW: I had worse.
Me: Dude, take a hint and go the gently caress home, I do not want you to spread your disease all over me and this equipment. This is germany, it's not like you won't get paid if you are sick, god damnit. Ok. Hey, listen I have some overtime and am going home now, we can finish this rack tomorrow, bye.
CW: Oh come on, be a man, a little sneeze isn't going to kill you.
Me: ...

It's not the sneeze that kills you, it's your body shutting down from an infection that does it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We have a contractor working with us. He's nice enough but he has zero technical chops and we're a high visibility group that deals with VIP users. I thought this was the extent of the problem until yesterday.

Yesterday I needed him to go see someone he met once, and he doesn't remember who that is. Sure, fine, he only met her once. So I describe her by location. He remembers her: "Oh, the one with the nice rack."

It's loving 2015 and you are supposed to be a professional. What the gently caress is wrong with you?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I do deskside support for a investment bank and hoooooly poo poo are my users some of the dumbest idiots ever to walk the planet. It's not even that they aren't good with computers, it's that they lack the ability to understand what a computer is. They still treat a desktop HP shitbox with 4gb of ram like it's a mysterious talisman of wonder that is to be feared and worshipped.

This last week we started rolling out a upgrade for a application that brokers use to track stock quotes in real time. The upgrade went fine and all data was imported, so no problem there. They have to enter in a user id and password when they launch the application, but we rigged it so that the user id is the same one they user to login to the computer with.

We sent explicit instructions to each location that's being upgraded, telling the broker what to click on and what to enter in at each prompt, complete with color pictures. These instructions were to be printed out and physically placed on each users keyboard. We even sent each location emails warning them that the update was coming and when, as well as what to expect when it went live. Every angle was covered, we did all we could to ensure the upgrade went smoothly.

So, come Monday morning when the app goes live, what the gently caress do you think happens?

300 phone calls, 250 emails. All of them some variation on "My stock ticker is different, what do I do? I need my quotes!" "I've never had to login before, wtf did you people do?!" "I've been out of the country for the past 6 months, no one told me anything!"

The longer I work here, the more I realize that the 2008 crash wasn't due to some kind of reckless behaviour, it was due to Bear Sterns upgrading to Office '07 and everyone panicking.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Storysmith posted:

Argh, I was planning on getting an Eames Aluminum Group with casters but that Leap looks interesting as hell and just complicated matters. I think that was the chair my coworker got instead of an Aeron that disappeared the day he quit.

I sit in an Aeron when I'm at work; I'd rather sit in something else when I'm at home just for mental separation. I've also busted a couple of work's Aeron lumbar support things already.

Having gone through an outright absurd amount of chairs in my life, I know all about spending money right the first time; I just hadn't seen that weirdass task chair design before and was intrigued. $900 isn't exactly outrageous for a chair I'd be sitting in for 20-50 hours a week.

I own a gesture and I love it. Best chair I have ever owned, and I use a Aeron at work and it sucks.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

BigDave posted:

I do deskside support for a investment bank and hoooooly poo poo are my users some of the dumbest idiots ever to walk the planet.

Said every Helpdesk/user facing technology service ever.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Gothmog1065 posted:

I used to work with redneck truck drivers and they understood how computers work better then these guys.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Gothmog1065 posted:

My personal favourite was the sheer number of people who didn't know how to do a hard shutdown and looked at me like I was a wizard when their "completely dead I need a replacement" computer miraculously turned on afterwards.

I mean come on, it's 2015 how do you not know basic computing?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

BigDave posted:

I used to work with redneck truck drivers and they understood how computers work better then these guys.

I've noticed it more of an attitude thing than an intelligence thing. I've worked with people who knew jack poo poo about computers and answered questions and did things, then I've had people who SHOULD know what computers are who refused to do ANYTHING because reasons. They don't know about computers so they don't care and stick their heads in the grounds when anything computery comes across their desk (other than IT WORKS).

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ChickenWing posted:

My wife's brother, who is 22 and fresh out of the army, wants to "do computers" for his job/career. We were talking the other day about something and he asked me what does it mean that a computer has 1TB of harddrive space and 8GB of memory, what's the difference between them?

I do not see a very long career "doing computers" for him.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

mattfl posted:

My wife's brother, who is 22 and fresh out of the army, wants to "do computers" for his job/career. We were talking the other day about something and he asked me what does it mean that a computer has 1TB of harddrive space and 8GB of memory, what's the difference between them?

Everyone has to start somewhere. A good friend of mine is very similar to your BIL and he's on the path to Information Security, and the growth in knowledge hes made in such a short period of time is pretty incredible.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mattfl posted:

There are people in my second year of the system administration program at my university that say things like that.

We had TWO computer hardware courses first year for gently caress's sake.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Everyone has to start somewhere. A good friend of mine is very similar to your BIL and he's on the path to Information Security, and the growth in knowledge hes made in such a short period of time is pretty incredible.

I guess it just blows my mind that someone that is wanting to make his career in computing doesn't know something that seems like such a basic fact, especially someone who has most likely grown up using computers throughout school his entire life.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
As our backup system does not have the capacity to back up our critical NAS server, we are going to not back it up. It's RAID 5 though, so it's okay! :eng99:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

As our backup system does not have the capacity to back up our critical NAS server, we are going to not back it up. It's RAID 5 though, so it's okay! :eng99:

Are you using some kind of consumer backup application? Like a $60/year carbonite home sub or something?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
EMC Avamar housed at a nearby COLO. Also, I take offense at your "you" imposition (I'm joking, but I wash my hands of so many of the decisions made here).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yesterday I guess we had a bunch of storage vendors come in and give pitches for a potential Isilon replacement project (buying more Isilon is also an option I think we just wanted to see what all the options were) and somebody was offering a tape library with a NAS head. "It's pennies per gigabyte!"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

ratbert90 posted:

I own a gesture and I love it. Best chair I have ever owned, and I use a Aeron at work and it sucks.

What is wrong with your Aeron? I recently bought one for home and love the thing. It got rid of back pain I didn't even know I had from sitting in my chair so much. My back feels (felt) amazing. Then I got a new job that pays more at a place with no budget and have a pretty lovely chair, that I sit in most of the day since. It's not that my previous place had better chairs, I was driving from public building to public building to fix computers all day so I was in my car for most of the day.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

FISHMANPET posted:

"It's pennies per gigabyte!"

*Coughs* and four thousand dollars per IOPS*Cough*

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

guppy posted:

We have a contractor working with us. He's nice enough but he has zero technical chops and we're a high visibility group that deals with VIP users. I thought this was the extent of the problem until yesterday.

Yesterday I needed him to go see someone he met once, and he doesn't remember who that is. Sure, fine, he only met her once. So I describe her by location. He remembers her: "Oh, the one with the nice rack."

It's loving 2015 and you are supposed to be a professional. What the gently caress is wrong with you?

1U or 2U?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

somebody was offering a tape library with a NAS head. "It's pennies per gigabyte!"
This isn't insane for certain usage cases. LTFS on LTO6 tape living in an autoloader could very well suffice for lower-tier storage, especially if there are a lot of situations where the NAS acts more as an archive than online storage. Disk+tape+tiering can be effective.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

ChickenWing posted:

My personal favourite was the sheer number of people who didn't know how to do a hard shutdown and looked at me like I was a wizard when their "completely dead I need a replacement" computer miraculously turned on afterwards.

I use the year I was born as the turning point. If you're younger than 30 at this point in time and don't possess some basic computer knowledge then I give my users a rough time. Computers where getting to pretty mainstream and ubiquitous by the time I first got to college so the younger generation should have literally grown up with them.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Coredump posted:

I use the year I was born as the turning point. If you're younger than 30 at this point in time and don't possess some basic computer knowledge then I give my users a rough time. Computers where getting to pretty mainstream and ubiquitous by the time I first got to college so the younger generation should have literally grown up with them.

It's like growing up with cars, people just don't want to learn. Hell the current generation don't necessary use computers, they use tablets. I worked in a school district recently and a kid in 5th grade had never used a mouse before and was confused by the concept of not touching the screen.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Coredump posted:

The problem with this point of view is that we're now in the "iPhone generation" where as far as most people are concerned, computers are just black boxes that will handhold them through every step of their interactions. I find that people tend to know -less- now because there's no need to know anything about your computer anymore.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

ChickenWing posted:

The problem with this point of view is that we're now in the "iPhone generation" where as far as most people are concerned, computers are just black boxes that will handhold them through every step of their interactions. I find that people tend to know -less- now because there's no need to know anything about your computer anymore.

Just like cars! I at least make an effort to tell the mechanic what problem I'm seeing, but I'm to to look like an idiot if I say I think the sound is coming from the carburetor and I need a new fuel intake valve to resolve the problem, you know what just give me a new car.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

One user was complaining about how slow our service ticket application was being. About 12 people use this program for 8 hours a day. Bonus points it's a Java applicaton. She put a helpdesk ticket in a month ago, nobody ever fixed it, so she puts in another ticket. I assign it to someone with 'is this the same one as ticket 8240 she put in last month?'

It's part of the ERP software which runs on the AS/400 (iSeries, whatever) so I ask dipshit AS/400 guy to take a look at it. He comes back and tells me how it's slow for her. Yea, I know that dude. He said her computer is probably 'using a lot of memory'. I said that's horseshit. I told him to call the vendor if he couldn't figure it out.

So he goes over to her computer and can see that it's slow. "Well, it works fine on my computer and everyone else. It must be your antivirus"

Now I'm getting mad. I asked him why he keeps making up bullshit reasons, then tell him to log on the program on his computer, as her. He does and now it's crawling. "Oh it must be some user settings on her account..."

Now we're loving getting somewhere. Get it figured out.

This is the kind of poo poo he spends ALL DAY on, poo poo that should be figured out in an hour. Zero troubleshooting skills, zero Windows knowledge. I have to sit there next to him and say OKAY NOW DO THIS. Useless.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

mattfl posted:

I guess it just blows my mind that someone that is wanting to make his career in computing doesn't know something that seems like such a basic fact, especially someone who has most likely grown up using computers throughout school his entire life.

Also have to realize that using a PC for web browsing or writing papers doesn't make someone an expert, especially if they've never opened a PC up before or researched the hardware. I'd give the guy a pass & point him to some online resources, maybe give him an old PC to tinker with & get familiar.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Ozz81 posted:

Also have to realize that using a PC for web browsing or writing papers doesn't make someone an expert, especially if they've never opened a PC up before or researched the hardware. I'd give the guy a pass & point him to some online resources, maybe give him an old PC to tinker with & get familiar.

poo poo buy him an A+ book, and send him on his way. If he can study that and ask questions, he'll be fine in IT.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

"We want all of the monitors for our receptionists to be upgraded to widescreen so they can fit more on the screen and don't have to scroll left/right as much."

15 minutes after the widescreen monitors have been installed :

"Everything is too small and we want bigger text on the screen can you lower our screen resolution so we can see the words"

15 minutes later

"The text is nice and big now but we can't fit enough on the screen and have to scroll left/right too much can we get wider monitors?"

:suicide:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

khy posted:

"We want all of the monitors for our receptionists to be upgraded to widescreen so they can fit more on the screen and don't have to scroll left/right as much."

"Everything is too small and we want bigger text on the screen can you lower our screen resolution so we can see the words"

15 minutes later

"The text is nice and big now but we can't fit enough on the screen and have to scroll left/right too much can we get wider monitors?"

This reminds me of a problem we had with my first project. It was outright stated in the requirements docs, that were developed with the people who would be using the software, that the minimum resolution would be 800x600, and so we developed it with that in mind. Get a user who complains and complains about how things appear on the web app, and things not appearing on the screen the way they were supposed to. We were all pretty stumped. I went over to the office she worked from(which was frankly kind of disgusting, as was she) and just couldn't figure out why things were happening the way they were, until it hit me: She had her computer at 640x480, apparently because she was blind as a bat and couldn't read anything on the screen at higher resolutions. At that point we basically went "You guys agreed to the minimum resolution of 800x600. If she is so blind she can't read at 800x600 then she needs a screen magnifier or something, but we are not changing that requirement just for her."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have a woman with dual monitors, she leaves the second one turned off and uses it as a picture frame.

MY COMPUTER IS FROZED UP

Some windows pops up on monitor #2 with a dialog box asking her something

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The more I work in IT the more I become convinced that we need to make stupidity a capital crime.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Collateral Damage posted:

The more I work in IT the more I become convinced that we need to make stupidity a capital crime.

That will come back and hit you one day.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Thanks Ants posted:

That will come back and hit you one day.

It would get me at least daily.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Bob Morales posted:

I have a woman with dual monitors, she leaves the second one turned off and uses it as a picture frame.

MY COMPUTER IS FROZED UP

Some windows pops up on monitor #2 with a dialog box asking her something

Some of our high powered broker have a 5 screen setup. Those are always fun to view remotely.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Khisanth Magus posted:

This reminds me of a problem we had with my first project. It was outright stated in the requirements docs, that were developed with the people who would be using the software, that the minimum resolution would be 800x600, and so we developed it with that in mind. Get a user who complains and complains about how things appear on the web app, and things not appearing on the screen the way they were supposed to. We were all pretty stumped. I went over to the office she worked from(which was frankly kind of disgusting, as was she) and just couldn't figure out why things were happening the way they were, until it hit me: She had her computer at 640x480, apparently because she was blind as a bat and couldn't read anything on the screen at higher resolutions. At that point we basically went "You guys agreed to the minimum resolution of 800x600. If she is so blind she can't read at 800x600 then she needs a screen magnifier or something, but we are not changing that requirement just for her."

My old manager used to have a widescreen monitor. He had it set to 4:3 resolution so it was all stretched out. I showed him how to fix it and he argued that it was the right ration before. I ended up googling a picture of a circle and showing him, but he still didn't believe me.

mewse
May 2, 2006

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I ended up googling a picture of a circle and showing him, but he still didn't believe me.

:stare:

mewse
May 2, 2006

If my boss rejected concepts of basic geometry I think I'd leave the building and never return

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

khy posted:

15 minutes later

To be fair someone probably bought 22" 1080p monitors like an idiot because they were a bit cheaper than the 24" models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I ended up googling a picture of a circle and showing him, but he still didn't believe me.
Hey, I do that when the monitor has a wonky ratio and I'm trying to get it right!