Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You mean Wood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Really what I would like from most indie feds is one thing:

Keep it more down to earth.

Like why does every fed with ten wrestlers and a public access show have to have a "world heavyweight title". I know suspension of disbelief and all, but I still prefer either "Name of Fed" Championship or even "City this takes place in" Championship.

If you're going to be small time, it makes sense to have small time goals and small time struggles. I think that's more important that keeping or not keeping kayfabe. It's that I can look at a guy and be like "OK I understand why he wants to fight in the battle royal for 1,500 bucks, it's because he looks like a guy who could use 1,500 bucks." No one likes to be in a high school gym and here some guy talk about being the best wrestler in the world who makes a million dollars a year and stuff when it's clear he's actually Steve, night manager at Wendy's.

Maybe I'm just crazy but that's my two cents.

Also no hillbilly moonshiners, it'll set you apart from that, uh, other Portland fed.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
^^^^^^I think the same thing is true on the production side sometimes too. lovely little entrance way, video screens that keep going back to the video player menu. It's kind of adorable, but I'd take it more seriously if they just kept it simpler instead of trying to be what they're not if they can't do it well.

oatgan posted:

The people that show up to indie wrestling shows are indie wrestling fans and you should worry about hooking them on your product with simple and enjoyable matches/angles instead of hooking casuals with a high concept since they will never hear about the shows you run.

This. You`ve got to appeal to the hardcores and JBL hit the nail on the head perfectly in a blog talking about WWE`s problems once. IIRC "It`s easy to make hardcore fans happy because all they want is good wrestling and story lines that make sense." Having decent matches and story lines that don`t insult the viewer`s intelligence should earn you enough goodwill for whatever experiments you want to make in terms of style, storytelling techniques, content, etc. See Kaiju Big Battel, Chikara, DDT, etc etc.

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 30, 2015

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

HogX posted:

I listened to the Austin podcast with Jake Roberts, and I realize I've never seen one of his matches. What's a good Jake The Snake Roberts match to watch?
Any match with Rude, Macho, or Steamboat. (Except his match vs. Rude at WM4.)

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Why should <STAR OF MOVIE> get paid more than <RANDOM EXTRA> after all, it was just a casting decision to not have <RANDOM EXTRA> be the star.

I'm not really sure how you can want to make it 'like a movie' and not think there should be a payscale. The important person who is supposed to draw fans gets paid more than some random scrub in literally everything that ever happens on the planet earth and probably other planets where aliens have synchronized zero g dance offs on universal television.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Does anybody know precisely what angles/gimmicks Russo was responsible for in WWE during his tenure there? The WWE line seems to be everything that is good during that period was developed by the wrestlers themselves (Austin, Mankind, D-Generation X etc) while everything that sucks was Russo (Gang Warz) and I'm willing to believe that because Russo is an idiot but I'm just wondering if there is a more comprehensive rundown somewhere.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
When did WWE change Kane's moniker from The Big Red Machine to The Big Red Monster and finally to The Devil's Favorite Demon? I quit watching 2004ish and didn't come back until like 2012.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

My favorite was the Big Red Retard

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Russo greenlit the Brood, but Heath had been developing that character with Luna Vachon and working as Vampiro Guerrero in Puerto Rico. It was Russo who decided they should license the name from White Wolf, I believe.That part definitely wasn't Heath's idea.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

And then the Brood wound up being more of a Lost Boys thing than anything resembling Vampire: the Masquerade.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Halloween Jack posted:

Russo greenlit the Brood, but Heath had been developing that character with Luna Vachon and working as Vampiro Guerrero in Puerto Rico. It was Russo who decided they should license the name from White Wolf, I believe.That part definitely wasn't Heath's idea.

From what I've heard (at least talking to some people on the WW side of things) it was because when the started inking the deal it was to cross promote with the Vampire TV show, but by the time everything got ironed out the show had been canceled and there wasn't any cross promoting to do.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Seams posted:

Does anybody know precisely what angles/gimmicks Russo was responsible for in WWE during his tenure there? The WWE line seems to be everything that is good during that period was developed by the wrestlers themselves (Austin, Mankind, D-Generation X etc) while everything that sucks was Russo (Gang Warz) and I'm willing to believe that because Russo is an idiot but I'm just wondering if there is a more comprehensive rundown somewhere.

The Survivor Series 98 was his best PPV but was more of a fun chaos than something smoothly booked.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I thought the constant Boss Man interferences and gently caress-ups was pretty brilliantly orchestrated for real

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

And then the Brood wound up being more of a Lost Boys thing than anything resembling Vampire: the Masquerade.
That was Gangrel's original concept for it anyway, so that's not surprising.

Now, what I've never been able to verify is if Heath was really fired from WWF because he couldn't keep his weight under control.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

From what I've heard (at least talking to some people on the WW side of things) it was because when the started inking the deal it was to cross promote with the Vampire TV show, but by the time everything got ironed out the show had been canceled and there wasn't any cross promoting to do.
Although the show didn't do great business, my understanding is that renewal wasn't out of the question...until the star died in a motorcycle accident.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Did you know/remember that Triple H and Chris Benoit had an Iron Man Match at Raw on July 26, 2004, and it ended in a Eugene run-in? Because I sure didn't and yet it is so.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Die Laughing posted:

Has anyone ever done a super perfectplex?

Halloween Jack posted:

Liger was famous for doing a fisherman buster from the top rope, but he didn't ever actually hold it for a pin AFAIK. Can that be done safely?
Here's me taking a move kinda like that. A second-rope "Niledriver," which was a fireman's carry into a fisherman bridge pin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd3XdXhKzyg&t=558s

It was my first match in front of a real audience so yeah I was all awkward around that ring. :)

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

If i wanted to watch and get into 90s japanese women wrestling, what the best way to go about that? Is there a subscription service someplace, tons of dvds? Cry as i watch pixelated and lovely dailymotion videos?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Busta Uppa? Who'd he ever beat?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

projecthalaxy posted:

Did you know/remember that Triple H and Chris Benoit had an Iron Man Match at Raw on July 26, 2004, and it ended in a Eugene run-in? Because I sure didn't and yet it is so.

Isn't this what prompted Regal to deliver that amazing promo to Triple H about how he was going to unleash all the venom in his body?

Literally the only good thing to come out of the Eugene angle. And then it was made pointless by HHH squashing Regal.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Blast Fantasto posted:

Isn't this what prompted Regal to deliver that amazing promo to Triple H about how he was going to unleash all the venom in his body?
Regal wrestled Tajiri and Mutoh a few times, so he probably absorbed a bit.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

canada jezus posted:

If i wanted to watch and get into 90s japanese women wrestling, what the best way to go about that? Is there a subscription service someplace, tons of dvds? Cry as i watch pixelated and lovely dailymotion videos?

IVP videos used to be well regarded around here, and its still up, so unless anyone else can tell me if that has changed, here it is.

http://new.ivpvideos2.com/index.php

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Specifically I'd recommend this as the theme is "JoshiPalooza" http://new.ivpvideos2.com/product_info.php?products_id=13406

also http://new.ivpvideos2.com/product_info.php?products_id=351

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It's amazing how long Eugene lasted.

The crowd cheering wildly as Kurt angle beat the poo poo out of a mentally challenged person was awesome.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Possibly even more than dog collared Trish and gay panic Goldust, Eugene might be the most embarrassing WWE angle in hindsight that you'd want to prevent people watching if you tell them you're into wrestling.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Numero6 posted:

The Survivor Series 98 was his best PPV but was more of a fun chaos than something smoothly booked.

That show was the perfect microcosm for Russo's booking:

The show you paid for sucked live, but the angle at the end made you want to see what would happen next. Of course next was a free show. Also, you're leery about ordering the next paid show and this paid show has little to no replay value.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

It's amazing how long Eugene lasted.

The crowd cheering wildly as Kurt angle beat the poo poo out of a mentally challenged person was awesome.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5e8vy_eugene-meets-the-sandman_sport

Nick Dinsmore was great, wish he had gotten a better gimmick.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

sticklefifer posted:

Possibly even more than dog collared Trish and gay panic Goldust, Eugene might be the most embarrassing WWE angle in hindsight that you'd want to prevent people watching if you tell them you're into wrestling.

that time triple h was racist to booker t and won clean

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

That didn't last several years at least.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

By the way, kudos to the guy who did a paper on the racism inherent in that angle and how it's representative of the company as a whole. There's not enough serious scholarship on wrestling.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Halloween Jack posted:

By the way, kudos to the guy who did a paper on the racism inherent in that angle and how it's representative of the company as a whole. There's not enough serious scholarship on wrestling.

Link that poo poo, TIA

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Lady Naga posted:

Link that poo poo, TIA

The Atlantic, is that the one?

Edit: wow, back in the day when Rusev was squashing jobbers and Big E talked about getting the Nation of Domination back together

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 1, 2015

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Halloween Jack posted:

former fyad bro pair wrote this for jacobin

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/08/money-in-the-bank/

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Outside of Sandman's furious vengeance at poetry, the best Eugene thing was when Hacksaw Jim Duggan was his tutor. Hacksaw was put in a match against Umaga or something and Eugene timidly asked if he was scared.

"Was Babe Ruth scared when he fought King Kong on top of the Empire State Building?! IT HAPPENED!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

sticklefifer posted:

"In hindsight"?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Gavok posted:

the best Eugene thing was when Hacksaw Jim Duggan was his tutor.
I cannot think of anything more fitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afNOqwJrT8s

quote:

"Was Babe Ruth scared when he fought King Kong on top of the Empire State Building?! IT HAPPENED!"
Huh. Jim Duggan played Donkey Kong.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Seams posted:

I think the easiest way to figure this out would be to see who was the booking team at that time.

Wasn't it mostly Russo, JR and Vince? With a bit of Cornette early on, doing the NWA poo poo and whatnot?

Either way it was a handful of people, it wasn't the bloated 20+ person crew they eventually became. So Russo would have been involved in a lot of the booking, I don't think Vince was doing it all himself and if it was JR/Patterson/Cornette it would be good ol' boy booking.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I think it started as Vince, JR, Cornette, Dunn, and Michael Hayes. Russo came in and Cornette left.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

sticklefifer posted:

Stuff like this is why wrestling is a quiet interest of mine that I rarely ever talk about in public. And when I do, it's almost never about current stuff, because I'm mortified of someone watching Raw with me for the first time and having to explain why I watch this loving garbage week in and week out. :qq:

Here's a question!: Now that Sting and Samoa Joe (and even Liger, to an extent) are WWE guys, who's the biggest name to never set foot in a WWE ring? This comes up from time to time, I know, but it's always interesting to see what people have to say about it.

At this point, it's probably some of the New Japan guys, right? Like Nakamura or Tanahashi (which, given how things are going, might not be the case for long). Or maybe some ROH guys like Lethal or the Briscoes?

BodyMassageMachine fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 1, 2015

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

If you're talking current guys internationally then it would definitely be your top Japanese and Mexican stars like Tanahashi, Nakamura, Wagner, Atlantis, etc....

If you mean during the modern post expansion period it would probably be Misawa.

I have no clue who the biggest American or Canadian modern worker would be who never worked for Vince at this point. Abdullah maybe? AJ Styles probably if you want someone active I guess.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
This question has come up several times, actually. Abdullah is a commonly mentioned name, as is Magnum TA. You might count Hansen and Brody, but they did wrestle for the WWWF. Mutoh also never wrestled for any incarnation of WWE. And, of course, most prominent joshi.

It's surprising how many guys did work for WWF or WWWF at least once, though. Nick Bockwinkel and Mil Mascaras, for example. Liger is actually another guy who had already appeared once or twice in a battle royale.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 1, 2015