Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

abraham linksys posted:

Glad to hear CHVRCHES' new stuff sounds good live; I reckon I should listen to their album sometime this weekend. Was a bit turned off hearing that it was more of the same, but I do like their first singles well enough that I figured I'd give them a shot live.

They have a good light show and turn up the bass x 100. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

abraham linksys posted:

Glad to hear CHVRCHES' new stuff sounds good live; I reckon I should listen to their album sometime this weekend. Was a bit turned off hearing that it was more of the same, but I do like their first singles well enough that I figured I'd give them a shot live.

I liked about the same if not a tad more then the first, other then the tracks with the guy singing. They really need to break something to him.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Seeing CHVRCHES in November and am pretty pumped. The new album has some pretty good stuff outside of the singles like Empty Threat.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Nothing on the new CHVRCHES album is grabbing me in the same way that Science/Visions did on the first album, but other than that, I think it's pretty good. Can't wait to see them in January.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Saw a new release of Arcade Fire's Reflektor today... "ohhh a deluxe edition?" "a third disc?!?!" I was excited.

It's pretty garbage.
You thought you had found a collector's edition. Turns out it was just more Reflektor.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

Nothing on the new CHVRCHES album is grabbing me in the same way that Science/Visions did on the first album, but other than that, I think it's pretty good. Can't wait to see them in January.

I don't think anything on it is as good as "The Mother We Share" but "Down Side of Me" tries awfully drat hard.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Listened through Better Nature about 3 times now, and I'm not sure what to make of it. Cradle is by far my favourite track, but afterwards it kind of loses steam until the middle of the album. Nightlight through Ragamuffin are pretty good, though outside of Nikki's more pronounced vocal contributions it's nothing revolutionary. The Wild Kind isn't a bad track but it doesn't have the feel of a good album closer to me, especailly compared to how well Out Of Breath closed out Neck of the Woods.

It's still SSPU and a pretty good album, but it kind of feels like a step back.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FactsAreUseless posted:

You thought you had found a collector's edition. Turns out it was just more Reflektor.

:golfclap:

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Better Nature has a ton of great melodies but it's lacking something. Still good, with a few great tracks, but not as good as Caranavas or Neck of the Woods imo. More consistent than Swoon but nothing that quite matches the best tracks on that album either.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I strongly disliked neck of the woods and like this new album a lot. A bit too glossy at times but Nightlight and everything after it is great I thought.

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015
Where/how, other than this thread, do you all hear about new music? I want to bump up my discovery beyond just AM/Spotify recommendations and hearsay from friends/family.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

its no big deal posted:

Where/how, other than this thread, do you all hear about new music? I want to bump up my discovery beyond just AM/Spotify recommendations and hearsay from friends/family.

Forums such as this, websites like Stereogum, following bands you listen to on social media, etc.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

its no big deal posted:

Bookmark and read places like Stereogum and P4k that make a point to link to and stream lots of new music. Also NPR's First Listen.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

its no big deal posted:

Facebook has pretty much become my music discovery site. I just like pages like the aforementioned Stereogame, Pitchfork, NPR Music, and KEXP. Or find their youtube pages and subscribe.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I'll toss my hat onto the wave of posters lauding CHVRCHES' live show. Saw them last night at Boston Calling and they blew me away with already-high expectations. The new stuff sounded great, light show was phenomenal, Make Them Gold and Clearest Blue worked perfectly and Martin danced like an adorable chode on Under the Tide.

Other bands yesterday:

Skylar Spence is still getting used to the whole band and performance thing, but Prom King (their new record) is great and translate well to a live setting. Found it hilarious that they have a MacBook on stage to play the electronic parts.

Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks kind of bled one song into the next but were very enjoyable.

Wasn't too into Sturgill Simpson but he sounded fine, probably just a personal taste thing.

Papa John Misty slayed, as he is wont to do. No banter, sadly, just a rundown of 12 tracks back to back.

Skipped Walk the Moon for burgers, don't regret it at all.

Chromeo sounded good but the whole two white Canadian dudes co-opting black funk as much as they did disco in general rubbed me the wrong way slightly. Not that they're bad, they're just not for me.

Alt-J was really quiet at the outset and I was stuck in the middle of a crush near the stage, which made for an unbecoming start to their set. When things eased up/the sound mix was fixed, they got a lot better. I'd still never see them at a fest again, all the drunk frat bros who inexplicably knew all the lyrics and needed to scream them out were a big turnoff.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

CRINDY posted:

Chromeo sounded good but the whole two white Canadian dudes co-opting black funk as much as they did disco in general rubbed me the wrong way slightly. Not that they're bad, they're just not for me.

Neither guy in Chromeo is white. They're great.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Also the main guy has like a Ph.D in French Lit and teaches college courses sometimes.

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015
Thanks for the info, goons. I've got some new stuff added into feedly.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Just listened to the new CHVRCHES stuff, holy poo poo is it good. I need to see them live if they come to Vancouver.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Action Serious posted:

Neither guy in Chromeo is white. They're great.

I will put it on the record that I am dumb and have bad opinions based off incorrect information.

Chromeo still doesn't do anything for me, though.

Edit: OK, I'll give them "Jealous," that's catchy.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chromeo's White Women, to me, is like one perfect song after another after another. I'm glad I got to see them live last year. That was really my first exposure to them and they put on such a fun show.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Anyone seeing CHVRCHES in Minneapolis in a few weeks?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

It's probably a long way out, but Alison Mosshart did a Q and A today and basically confirmed a new Kills album currently in the works. Let the hype begin.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I'm finally seeing Father John Misty tonight, hope it lives up to the hype.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Bookmark and read places like Stereogum and P4k that make a point to link to and stream lots of new music. Also NPR's First Listen.

Also Drowned in Sound, Consequence of Sound (although the latter has gotten a bit clickbaity).

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

its no big deal posted:

I go to a million shows and wrote for an indie zine for like ten years. Also bands just randomly follow me on Twitter and sometimes they're actually good. This is how I found out about A Great Big Pile of Leaves for instance.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Wanna take a post to bump Meg Myers, who probably won't strike a chord with everyone (so to speak), but who cranks out some pretty emotive rock and has a few memorable singles on her first full-length

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym1J5IAk2P4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8imFxu4Jbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-z4sUKWd6Q

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Kurt Vile released another good indie rock/pop/folk/electronic album! (Also TIL that's his real name.)

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

T Bowl posted:

I'm finally seeing Father John Misty tonight, hope it lives up to the hype.

He will

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Is it worth spending 3 hours driving to see A Place to Bury Strangers tomorrow night? Wifey hates noise rock in bars so I'd be going alone to boot.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

He did, he did a Q and A before his encore, it was funny.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

CRINDY posted:

I'll toss my hat onto the wave of posters lauding CHVRCHES' live show. Saw them last night at Boston Calling and they blew me away with already-high expectations. The new stuff sounded great, light show was phenomenal, Make Them Gold and Clearest Blue worked perfectly and Martin danced like an adorable chode on Under the Tide.

Alt-J was really quiet at the outset and I was stuck in the middle of a crush near the stage, which made for an unbecoming start to their set. When things eased up/the sound mix was fixed, they got a lot better. I'd still never see them at a fest again, all the drunk frat bros who inexplicably knew all the lyrics and needed to scream them out were a big turnoff.

I was there too and you're totally spot on. Chvrches was great, Alt-J was good too but the crowd of bro-hipsters and white basic bitches was horrendous. Like being at a loving Dave Matthews Band concert.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
why do bros like Alt-J

I actually am a big defender of Alt-J and never got why so many people seemed to despise them (Pitchfork) but if they have a secret huge bro cult following I guess that explains the hatred

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

why do bros like Alt-J

I actually am a big defender of Alt-J and never got why so many people seemed to despise them (Pitchfork) but if they have a secret huge bro cult following I guess that explains the hatred

I love the experimental nature of Alt-J's stuff but I think they fall into that "different but still approachable" mindset that led to the cult of personality around Pink Floyd. That's not a dig against Floyd, it's just that every douchebag stoner I knew in high school and college loved waxing philosophic about Dark Side. I didn't even know about the bro-ey nature of their fanbase until Saturday night, and while it doesn't taint the music for me, it does prevent me from seeing them live in the future.

Although the whole bro-ey part might have been exacerbated by the festival setting, which many people consider an excuse to get shitfaced. The extreme irony of seeing Father John Misty play "The Night Josh Tillman Came To Our Apartment," a song about how pretentious, narcissistic and obnoxious millennials can be, while the five people immediately in front of me were fall-down drunk and screaming over the music, completely fulfilling his point, turned me off festivals something fierce. At least festivals in cities where college is currently in session.

How can I make this post less whiney? Um... the new Wavves record loving kicks rear end, and I'd go see them Saturday night if I haven't been feeling under the weather recently. Not in the mood to get my rear end kicked if I end up in the pit. And man, the Arcade Fire Reflektor b-sides are so goddamn disappointing. "Get Right" has the right atmosphere, but everything else is just so loving derivative of Reflektor's thesis, which is already imprinted all over the entire record in the first place.

Still haven't dipped into the new The World is a Beautiful Place and I Am No Longer Afraid to Die record, guess I'll do that tonight. I saw them open for Real Estate, Math the Band and Vivian Girls (man the end of that slate is so late-00s it hurts) back in 2009, so it's really pleasing to see them getting high marks. I guess if you manage to survive Willimantic, CT, everything else is gravy.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Speaking of bros, this CHVRCHES crowd :gonk:

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Man, this TWIABP is at once pretty great and exactly what would trigger a quarter-life crisis in me right now.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

New (live) track from EL VY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q1qog-I9cs

Getting psyched for the full album.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

abraham linksys posted:

Speaking of bros, this CHVRCHES crowd :gonk:

At least that one dude who yelled out "marry me" got shut down quite emphatically by Lauren.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

that was a good show. they should put more bass in their songs because I'm listening to the new record now and it sounds way duller than it does live

maybe Peter Hook should join CHVRCHES. or whichever brother in Disclosure plays bass live. this seems to be the element they're lacking

e: I am actually angry about how much loving worse "Bury It" is on this record than it was live. Why is this production so goddamn sterile. Now I'm really glad I didn't end up buying the record at the show, because I'm not sure how many more times I'm gonna listen to this.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I think I've mastered the silent but deadly bitch glare to people chatting during quiet songs. I didn't pay for a ticket to hear your commentary.

How to Dress Well, Best Coast, even a loving Decemberists show. Shut the gently caress up people.