Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Daughter released a new song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU5F-DvGLkA

Unfortunately the new album doesn't drop until 2016 (at least it's January). Goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

cheese eats mouse posted:

I think I've mastered the silent but deadly bitch glare to people chatting during quiet songs. I didn't pay for a ticket to hear your commentary.

How to Dress Well, Best Coast, even a loving Decemberists show. Shut the gently caress up people.

One of my least favourite experiences was when a couple of r/atheist types would shout poo poo out every time Nick Cave mentioned God.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I'm not looking forward to how obnoxious the crowd is going to be at the Franz Ferdinand+Sparks show I'm going to next week. Bunch of assholes who want to hear Take Me Out and ain't never heard Number One Song In Heaven before, gonna be the wooooorst

Also there was a couple in front of me at the CHVRCHES show who spent more time on Instagram than watching the show. I do not know why they were there.

Honestly I'm getting jaded enough I think I need to just get into music that doesn't attract anyone who isn't deeply, deeply into it

E: Also for real have we talked about how incredible this Disclosure+Miguel track is because goddamn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHJYOR3bC8M

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Cool but maybe pick a less gender specific face...

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
The best franz ferdinand song is auf achse.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

uggy posted:

you're off by one; it's Dark of the Matinee

e: also while we're on this topic Tonight is an extremely underrated record, though it took me a literal year after it was released to start appreciating it. I was mainly mad they ruined the single version of Lucid Dreams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__p_MbzZ6LE

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 1, 2015

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

interpunct posted:

At least that one dude who yelled out "marry me" got shut down quite emphatically by Lauren.

Lauren rules. I saw CHVRCHES last October and it was her birthday and the whole crowd sang happy birthday to her :3:

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

uggy posted:

This is fact.

So, question: did I screw up by not going to see Best Coast when they toured near me? I was thinking of going but after listening to their latest album and not really liking it that much, I decided not to.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

The Jumpoff posted:

So, question: did I screw up by not going to see Best Coast when they toured near me? I was thinking of going but after listening to their latest album and not really liking it that much, I decided not to.

I don't think so but I haven't seen or listened to best coast in years. I saw them play in Chicago years ago with free energy, titus andronicus, and male bonding and dang that lineup looks very 2010.

ranking franz ferdinand's s/t songs:

1 - auf achse
2 - jacqueline
3 - dark of the matinee
4 - this fire
5 - take me out
6 - michael
7 - darts of pleasure
8 - come on home
9 - tell her tonight
10 - cheating on you

Album is the best. If we include the deluxe edition, shopping for blood is one of the best songs as well.

I just wanted to also say that the empress of album is incredibly good. I've been really enjoying it and it's a great pop album. Water water and standard are my two favorites from it and they're incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwo_HeW4G-Q water water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht5d7gVqo1I standard

2015 as a whole has been really great for music.

uggy fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 1, 2015

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
love the new US Girls album

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

The Jumpoff posted:

I saw them open for thread discussion point Alt-J a couple of weeks ago. They came out strong and awesome, but kinda petered out, which was disappointing.

Remulak posted:

Is it worth spending 3 hours driving to see A Place to Bury Strangers tomorrow night? Wifey hates noise rock in bars so I'd be going alone to boot.
Holy shitballs yes, I'm so glad I went. if you ever get a chance A Place to Bury Strangers is :oldkrad:.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I'm preferential to Bullet, but Dark of the Matinee or Ulysses is probably my favourite.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
New Order's new album is utterly fantastic. Makes me want to slap Dave Gahan and Martin Gore in their faces and say "Look!"

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

abraham linksys posted:

e: also while we're on this topic Tonight is an extremely underrated record, though it took me a literal year after it was released to start appreciating it. I was mainly mad they ruined the single version of Lucid Dreams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__p_MbzZ6LE

#literally the biggest travesty in rock music i've ever encountered. i mean, i get why they redid it in the album's theme, but the single version of Lucid Dreams is by far the best FF song since the self-titled.

their last album's actually pretty solid. Stand on the Horizon is probably their Bowiest song? as mentioned before, Bullet also is very good.

I will say their live show was unspectacular, though that was as much because it was the Orpheum as anything else. protip: if you want people to dance, don't book a place that's seated-only. alex ruined Evil Eye by yelling at people, over and over, to put their phones away during the entire second verse

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Franz chat: I think FFS the album is the finest thing they've ever done (on top of being Sparks's best album in over three decades). My vote goes to Piss Off.

Full disclosure though, I'm a huge fan of both bands. I actually planned my vacation around getting to see their LA show in a couple of weeks- kind of a dream gig for me. As a bonus, Chvrches is in town later that week.

If I had to pick a favorite Franz-by-themselves song, it would probably be Stand on the Horizon. Right Thoughts is an enormously underrated album.

britishbornandbread posted:

New Order's new album is utterly fantastic. Makes me want to slap Dave Gahan and Martin Gore in their faces and say "Look!"

I'm very impressed with Music Complete, especially Singularity and the songs with La Roux on them. The whole "80s synthpop band unexpectedly releasing a great album decades after their peak" thing happened with the Pet Shop Boys' last album too.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

britishbornandbread posted:

This made my day. I had no idea this was coming. "How good can it be?", said the pessimist in me before my first listen. Well, holy poo poo. :aaa:

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Dodecalypse posted:

Lauren rules.

Hahah, someone filmed the part of the show where this one fellow asked Lauren Mayberry to marry him.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

interpunct posted:

Hahah, someone filmed the part of the show where this one fellow asked Lauren Mayberry to marry him.

This rules, Lauren rules

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I bet Hooky's as sick as a loving dog.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Goddamn, Make Them Gold is the best song on the new CHVRCHES album

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

interpunct posted:

oh no I looked at the comments and well it's a good thing they haven't invented those Futurama suicide booths right now or I wouldn't be posting this

everyone is awful

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I don't think their new album is that good, it's mediocre at best. You can already tell she won't be able to sustain a career of writing such catchy vocal parts like that first album. People will still like it either way though for awhile at least from liking the first one.

edit: I do like a few off the new one, don't get me wrong, but it's not nearly as good start to finish.

T Bowl fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 3, 2015

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

abraham linksys posted:

oh no I looked at the comments and well it's a good thing they haven't invented those Futurama suicide booths right now or I wouldn't be posting this

everyone is awful

You should see the tremendous amount of poo poo Bethany Cosentino has been getting since she called out a sexist review of one of her recent concerts

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

rabidsquid posted:

You should see the tremendous amount of poo poo Bethany Cosentino has been getting since she called out a sexist review of one of her recent concerts

I read that, and from what that writer said (it was a dumb college kid not a professional journalist).. it should have never been published. However, she does need to realize that these are thoughts most men are having anyway and aren't vocal about them. We are programmed to, come on.

I do think it's really lovely to put into a review for a concert though, and I hope that's what she meant, not the idea of her looking attractive to a male as being sexist.

for reference:

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2015/10/03/best-coasts-bethany-cosentino-calls-out-music-writer-for-sexist-review/

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The Lonely Wild's new album just dropped. I've always heard them described as Ennio Morricone meets Arcade Fire. I'm really digging it.

https://thelonelywild.bandcamp.com/album/chasing-white-light

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cptn_dr posted:

The Lonely Wild's new album just dropped. I've always heard them described as Ennio Morricone meets Arcade Fire. I'm really digging it.

https://thelonelywild.bandcamp.com/album/chasing-white-light

Not where I can listen right now but that's a helluva description and has me really intrigued.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

CRINDY posted:

Um... the new Wavves record loving kicks rear end, and I'd go see them Saturday night if I haven't been feeling under the weather recently.

Good album. I don't know how he can keep making the same album, but he keeps doing it.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I'm not going to adamantly defend the kind of dude that shouts "Marry me" at a concert but I will say its something I hear at all kinds of concerts, regardless of the gender of the artist. When I saw BadBadNotGood a guy in the crowd repeatedly made vocal his desire to fellate Leland Whitty. Some girl told Josh Tillman to let her sit on his face.

I think its just something people do to try and get attention from an artist they love. That doesn't make it okay but I don't know if I'd say this guy was being a horrible misogynist for his fake proposal or is deserving of hate from the Internet. Still, I'm sure Lauren deals with all kinds of assholes spewing sexist bullshit at her so I can't blame her for being grumpy.

Also, thanks to whoever linked Superhumanoids in here. Loving their new video and the song it goes with.

bowser fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 3, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

bowser posted:

I'm not going to adamantly defend the kind of dude that shouts "Marry me" at a concert but I will say its something I hear at all kinds of concerts, regardless of the gender of the artist. When I saw BadBadNotGood a guy in the crowd repeatedly made vocal his desire to fellate Leland Whitty. Some girl told Father John Misty to let her sit on his face.

I think its just something people do to try and get attention from an artist they love. That doesn't make it okay but I don't know if I'd say this guy was being a horrible misogynist for his fake proposal or is deserving of hate from the Internet. Still, I'm sure Lauren deals with all kinds of assholes spewing sexist bullshit at her so I can't blame her for being grumpy.

Also, thanks to whoever linked Superhumanoids in here. Loving their new video and the song it goes with.

Someone tried that poo poo on Dustin Kensrue when I saw Thrice, even though he was in the middle of talking about the Invisible Children charity that he was raising money for. It didn't go over well.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

bowser posted:

OOoooooooooo ty for bringing this to my attention!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

T Bowl posted:

However, she does need to realize that these are thoughts most men are having anyway and aren't vocal about them. We are programmed to, come on.

Hey maybe stop looking at women constantly as something to gently caress? tyvm

We actually like to have conversations with others

Saw Kopps, Grace Kelley and Joywave last night in Indy. Definitely catch this tour if they're coming to your area.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

T Bowl posted:

I read that, and from what that writer said (it was a dumb college kid not a professional journalist).. it should have never been published. However, she does need to realize that these are thoughts most men are having anyway and aren't vocal about them. We are programmed to, come on.

I do think it's really lovely to put into a review for a concert though, and I hope that's what she meant, not the idea of her looking attractive to a male as being sexist.

for reference:

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2015/10/03/best-coasts-bethany-cosentino-calls-out-music-writer-for-sexist-review/

...are you excusing a sexist as gently caress "review" because they're "thoughts that most men are having anyways" because holy poo poo

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
So I saw of Monsters and Men live at ACL tonight and they where my favorite show of the day they were better than The Strokes tonight for energy and a good show they were also better than The Decemberist who I really like. They made my Sunday and where a blast.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

...are you excusing a sexist as gently caress "review" because they're "thoughts that most men are having anyways" because holy poo poo

It's a tax deductible stage outfit. Any artist gets judged by how they present themselves on stage, including men who also dress up for sex appeal. Chill out.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

why do I keep letting Bloc Party get my hopes up, this is some straight trash. the chorus is good but everything around it is the tackiest poo poo I've ever heard (those key changes, what the gently caress)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe7uutnarWE

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

abraham linksys posted:

why do I keep letting Bloc Party get my hopes up, this is some straight trash. the chorus is good but everything around it is the tackiest poo poo I've ever heard (those key changes, what the gently caress)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe7uutnarWE

I found the key to enjoying Bloc party is to ignore everything after Intimacy. And sometimes even before that.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Jumpoff posted:

I found the key to enjoying Bloc party is to ignore everything after Intimacy. And sometimes even before that.

Oddly enough, while I don't love the song at all, it's interesting enough to make me look forward to the new album because goddamn they need to loving pivot somehow. They haven't been good since Silent Alarm (Remixed). :colbert:

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

abraham linksys posted:

Basically my thoughts, and I even feel like the chorus was a waste after the instantaneous hope that it was about to save the song

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Silent Alarm is just a perfect album. I guess there's really no way to follow that one. I don't know why they keep trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

CLAM DOWN posted:

No, I said twice I didn't in the very post you just quoted....

As Andy Dufrense would say "How can you be so obtuse?"