Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

no_recall posted:

Mechwarrior = Mech Pilot

Battletech = Universe Mechwarriors exist in.

Battletech Game = Tabletop minature turn based strategygame. (some nerds may argue its RPG but whatever)

Oh okay. Literally everything I know about uh Battletech I guess comes from MW2 and MW2 Mercs on PC from the golden years of my childhood :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
The brown sea is awesome.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
i haven't really followed star citizen at all beyond like, occasional glances. just wanted to say: took yall long enough to finally realize it was a scam

there were people with $200 paperweight Hellgate: London Lifetime Subscription boxes lolling at the thousands dollar ship jpegs

Dusty Lens posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixfITuUqLPk You may find his examination of terrible toys designed to break the spirit of children to be cathartic.

let's be fair here though: Infaceables were a cool concept and I'd adore a silly toy by like Four Horsemen that tried the same thing with 2015 technology

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

no_recall posted:

The brown sea is awesome.

*Exchanges $1000 worth of ships for 20,000 UEC Credits in the PU*

HA, take that CIG!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Wait I lost track of the thread, Battletech as in Mechwarrior? Someone doing a new game?

It's more of a return to the roots of the tabletop game (or Mech Commander), since it's a turn-based tactical game, in similar vein to Shadowrun Returns or X:COM.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
although there are like an umptmillion mechwarrior/chromehounds projects out there in various levels of completion, from 0% concept all the way to 5% alpha

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

I honestly never thought I'd be on the same side of a debate with Derek Smart, he seems so obtuse on other things and yet his line of thinking on how Star Citizen will eventually see the light of day; is the same as mine.

Strange days

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Bitter Beard posted:

I honestly never thought I'd be on the same side of a debate with Derek Smart, he seems so obtuse on other things and yet his line of thinking on how Star Citizen will eventually see the light of day; is the same as mine.

Strange days

When it comes to SC he's really not that hard to disagree with. The delivery may be a little abrasive but the message is sound.

And anyway, the fanboys attack him on a personal level plenty, but have yet to really challenge his assertions.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Bitter Beard posted:

Strange days
It's either a bit of Derek inside of you or a bit of DickWulf.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Ben Lesnick's farts

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Ok, this is for all the whiners out there that keep thinking this game is Pay to Win or somehow they wont be able to compete with other players in the game because they couldn’t buy a big ship. Look, this is a crowd funded game right? Ok, you understand that. Now, think guys…… would this game be as big as it is if the BACKERS with money didn’t pledge a larger amount than you? Of course not, because of the BACKERS with the cash, YOU get to benefit from their success by having a better game that costs less than the average game!! Instead of complaining about the BACKERS with money, you should thank them. “I want to say THANK YOU backers (all backers) for helping CIG to build one Badass game” Back to what I was saying. Now, you can get the same ship in-game that they spent REAL money to get. As for Pay to Win, lets see, what do the BACKERS with big ships win? A planet? Nope, your hangar? Nope, so what do they win? Nothing! The game is an OPEN SANDBOX, that means you set your own goals, it’s about your imagination, you want to have a big ship, be a trader of some kind and earn your in-game money to buy your BIG ship. You want to explore, go do it, plenty of starter ships that are under the average cost of a store bought game. Look, P2W is just another way for people to whine about other players having a big ship(s). The big ships in the game is one of the reason its letting CIG build YOU and I a bigger and better game. I’m confused as to why that is a bad thing for some of you, didn’t you pledge to play this game? If you did, you just hit the jackpot, look at what you can get for $30.00 or worse case scenario you spent $60.00. So, stop complaining and enjoy the game when it comes out and tell your friends that you were part of it, you helped fund and in turn, helped build the most awesome Space Game ever!
P.S. I plan on spending a lot of time in my Reliant making runs, then switching to a bigger ship to spend some time with my friends exploring!!! See you in the verse and make it your own!!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

How much you in for mate?

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

KiddieGrinder posted:

Ok, this is for all the whiners out there that keep thinking this game is Pay to Win or somehow they wont be able to compete with other players in the game because they couldn’t buy a big ship. Look, this is a crowd funded game right? Ok, you understand that. Now, think guys…… would this game be as big as it is if the BACKERS with money didn’t pledge a larger amount than you? Of course not, because of the BACKERS with the cash, YOU get to benefit from their success by having a better game that costs less than the average game!! Instead of complaining about the BACKERS with money, you should thank them. “I want to say THANK YOU backers (all backers) for helping CIG to build one Badass game” Back to what I was saying. Now, you can get the same ship in-game that they spent REAL money to get. As for Pay to Win, lets see, what do the BACKERS with big ships win? A planet? Nope, your hangar? Nope, so what do they win? Nothing! The game is an OPEN SANDBOX, that means you set your own goals, it’s about your imagination, you want to have a big ship, be a trader of some kind and earn your in-game money to buy your BIG ship. You want to explore, go do it, plenty of starter ships that are under the average cost of a store bought game. Look, P2W is just another way for people to whine about other players having a big ship(s). The big ships in the game is one of the reason its letting CIG build YOU and I a bigger and better game. I’m confused as to why that is a bad thing for some of you, didn’t you pledge to play this game? If you did, you just hit the jackpot, look at what you can get for $30.00 or worse case scenario you spent $60.00. So, stop complaining and enjoy the game when it comes out and tell your friends that you were part of it, you helped fund and in turn, helped build the most awesome Space Game ever!
P.S. I plan on spending a lot of time in my Reliant making runs, then switching to a bigger ship to spend some time with my friends exploring!!! See you in the verse and make it your own!!

i will brutally destroy the first person that says it

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Bitter Beard posted:

Strange days

it helps that he pioneered the Star Citizen genre before Star Citizen; basically all his games were overly ambitious trainwrecks with absurd skill walls and crazy controls for all the silly features, and that was in the 90's when like 6 dudes could hammer out a store shelf-tier game

if anyone has the experience to poo poo on SC from a design point its prolly derek smart

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Maldoror posted:

Ben Lesnick's farts

What do you expect from someone in this organization

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

The Hutt approves this statement

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So it is always assumed they have 90 million dollars raised.
But it could actually be lower. I can easily see them having issued 1 million in refunds now. Maybe more, if you assume some people got bored and quietly got a refund a year or longer ago. Of course refunds are not reflected in the graph.

Oh well, I really don't care what happens anyway. My aurora package has paid for itself in entertainment value a long time ago.
And I learned a valuable lesson about crowd funding on top.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Hopper posted:

So it is always assumed they have 90 million dollars raised.
But it could actually be lower. I can easily see them having issued 1 million in refunds now. Maybe more, if you assume some people got bored and quietly got a refund a year or longer ago. Of course refunds are not reflected in the graph.

Oh well, I really don't care what happens anyway. My aurora package has paid for itself in entertainment value a long time ago.
And I learned a valuable lesson about crowd funding on top.

nope actually that 90Mil does not include the milk they got from AMD and later on from Saitek

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Tarranon posted:

i will brutally destroy the first person that says it

[Star Citation needed]

In other news, I think the window of 'getting the gently caress out of dodge' via reddit sales is rapidly closing, as the ratio of sales to buys is overwhelmingly tilted towards sales (at a range between cost to negative 10 to 20% for successful transactions). But probably everything is fine, don't worry; it can all only go up-up-up!

Somebody at CIG is hopefully smart enough to have put all of this 'pledge money' to work for them in terms of investment, asset acquisition or marketing opportunities while they've been holding on to it, and will walk away with some decent tangible assets and a few million or so in pocket. If that's the case I can't see them giving a poo poo about even a few million in refunds if each one is one less eventual plaintiff.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

EminusSleepus posted:

nope actually that 90Mil does not include the milk they got from AMD and later on from Saitek

Don't forget all the extra money they allegedly made selling all the physical poo poo.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Wulfling posted:

Don't forget all the extra money they allegedly made selling all the physical poo poo.

oh yeah how could I forget

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

EminusSleepus posted:

oh yeah how could I forget

I wonder how much of that poo poo was actually done at a loss.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Moogle posted:

Somebody at CIG is hopefully smart enough to have put all of this 'pledge money' to work for them in terms of investment, asset acquisition or marketing opportunities while they've been holding on to it, and will walk away with some decent tangible assets and a few million or so in pocket. If that's the case I can't see them giving a poo poo about even a few million in refunds if each one is one less eventual plaintiff.

Coke lines are not an appreciating asset.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014
Doesn't the government help "fund"/get extra mileage some of the development in some studios through tax breaks and so on?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Wulfling posted:

I wonder how much of that poo poo was actually done at a loss.

Did you know?

The Connie model rotated around several model maker companies, because CR wasn't satisfied with their construction/durability/texture. I remember the first prototype came back with a broken nacelle in the box.

Far as I can figure, the "profit" on the models didn't exceed 3 figures. EU regulations further taxed the models (because the model molds were made in one place, and assembled in a second place, I forget the EU law but there was a tariff on stuff originating outside the EU).

The gigantic mousepads had a "better profit margin". But those didn't make much either.

There was an idea to make those brown leather bomber jackets with SC patches and what not, but those were stupidly expensive to make and ship.

So fake internet spaceships became the go-to item to sell.

2 of these things MIGHT be lies.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Could someone please summarize this whole accounts thing with respect to the UK?

It's really not a big deal, they are late, they aren't supposed to do that but I really doubt anyone will care. Yes, it's technically against the law but as long as Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs get their money in the end they won't take any action over it. Also Chris Roberts has already arranged for SQ42 reveal at Citizen Con to feature Concord with the big names from the cast so Prince Harry is rumoured to be attending.

AP fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 1, 2015

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Bootcha posted:

Did you know?

The Connie model rotated around several model maker companies, because CR wasn't satisfied with their construction/durability/texture. I remember the first prototype came back with a broken nacelle in the box.

Far as I can figure, the "profit" on the models didn't exceed 3 figures. EU regulations further taxed the models (because the model molds were made in one place, and assembled in a second place, I forget the EU law but there was a tariff on stuff originating outside the EU).

The gigantic mousepads had a "better profit margin". But those didn't make much either.

There was an idea to make those brown leather bomber jackets with SC patches and what not, but those were stupidly expensive to make and ship.

So fake internet spaceships became the go-to item to sell.

2 of these things MIGHT be lies.

I remember the bomber jacket thing. Was still being asked about last I looked on the forums a few months back. Sub/Conc threads are full of a special kind of idiot.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

Yeah people discussing the deets of their refund processes before they've got cash in hand seems like a bad idea. Of course that goes for any transaction.

I really doubt that CIG are going to care about a couple of dozen goon refunds. Also given what's happened with that crazy Brazilian guy and Derek Smart, giving unhappy poo poo posters money in the hope they'll quietly go away and not cause trouble might turn out to be a net positive.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
If we talk about it enough, :lesnick: might post about it on the forums as a huge cultural victory, the removal of the evil goons from the game.

That probably won't happen until/if Beer sends in for one.

Karl_Ramseier
Aug 21, 2015

I don't have to work very hard at being an asshole. It comes naturally.

No practice needed.

Since Goons ruin everything, I'm pretending to be a Goon for Halloween!

spacetoaster posted:

Using your money to buy good food and cook it is a really good bit of advice.

I haven't posted in G w Spoons in a while but this is what I had for dinner:

That's garlic roasted lamb.

slow cooking at 80°C? I always do that with my roastbeef. Just bought steak meat from Ireland and Argentinian roastbeef.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

$339k from the first day, I think they'll be well happy with that.

Starting the Endeavor sale on the last day of September got them well over the 1 million mark for that month, but the monthly figure is still very low. Assuming no FPS and no multi crew releases they need a LTI sale at the start of a month and at the end to break 1 million now. Citizen Con and the November sale will change that a fair bit, but if I was hoping for a good result in November it would concern me that September was so bad.

On that Gamers Nexus interview Chris Roberts repeated his claim that multi crew will be out before the end of October, so we'll see.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Karl_Ramseier posted:

slow cooking at 80°C? I always do that with my roastbeef. Just bought steak meat from Ireland and Argentinian roastbeef.

Did someone totally fail at giving you a sick burn sc av or did you ironically give it to yourself?

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
these threads are haunted by the spirits of restless space ghosts

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Zeike posted:

Did someone totally fail at giving you a sick burn sc av or did you ironically give it to yourself?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Dear lord baby Citizen, thank you for this bounty.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Im done trying to make sense of star citizens. Good night.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

Ragequit posted:

Dear lord baby Citizen, thank you for this bounty.

There is a certain hypocrisy in that tweet of course.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

Oh okay. Literally everything I know about uh Battletech I guess comes from MW2 and MW2 Mercs on PC from the golden years of my childhood :v:

You should play Mechcommander, the first one.

Then think about if you would like a turn based version, that should answer most of your questions regarding the new BattleTech KS.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl_Ramseier
Aug 21, 2015

I don't have to work very hard at being an asshole. It comes naturally.

No practice needed.

Since Goons ruin everything, I'm pretending to be a Goon for Halloween!

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Having at least one claim come true within a manner of hours makes him alot less shady than CIG on the whole. Seems to me that if CIG had the proof to shut Smart up they would have already, considering they very clearly read and react to the stuff he puts out. Why can't they be held accountable for the money they've sunk so far? Why is that such an unreasonable request?

CIG's PR, community management and communication with the public are a total mess. They really need a professional there and Sandi needs a professional at her side or to be replaced. That said it seems it isn't Smart that has an inside source but Kxmode has. Didn't he leaked the letter to Smart? And talked about someone who works at CIG?

Regarding accountability:
They are held accountable for the money, but not towards the community.
The legal situation is very unclear regarding crowdfunding projects, that is why the authorities wants to change the regulations. Until then we don't have any legal standing.

Besides this, with so much money you don't put it in a bank account and take it from there.

A guy on reddit explained a probably used financial model better than I could:

quote:

I keep saying this, but CIG is almost certainly not running the program as a direct burn operation from their crowd funding cash. That's financial madness. The way it would typically work in a situation like this, is that the lump sum of cash would be used as a form of collateral or even leveraged to secure a more predictable form of financing.

There are actually tons of ways this could happen. The "simplest" way is that CIG puts the liquid cash into a managed account and then uses that balance to open a line of credit for business operations. The lump sum would probably only be burned directly to make interest payments on this line of credit - if needed. Read on.

It gets even more complicated though. As CIG burns cash, they area also developing IP and game assets. How these assets are valued is actually the real question here. Depending on who does the accounting, the value of the IP and the brand could very well be growing faster than their operations burn rate. As the combined value of their liquid cash and total asset value grows, so does their spending power at the same rate of leverage. That's why you don't direct burn the cash if you don't have to - because this does not allow them to tap into the "equity" of their own IP. Failing to leverage such a lump sum appropriately is just leaving money on the table.

Add studios and subsidiaries all over the world with different laws and regulations and perhaps you aren't even allowed to open the books. And you don't believe that CR telling us "Hey we have 30m$ left." would silent DS or any criticism?

Karl_Ramseier fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 1, 2015

• Locked thread