Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Nauta posted:

goons are literally retards for using the word literally

How loving long did you have to look to find that one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Skeesix posted:

wow she looks like from some middle ages simulator

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

midnightclimax posted:

wow she looks like from some middle ages simulator

+25 Strength
-10 Int
-15 Charisma

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
So really what I'm getting from this is that Finland and Scandinavia in general is not a place I should want to visit.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
i GIS'd "typical finn" and got these:

Explain?????

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Nothing to explain.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

Skeesix posted:

0 seconds as she was in the news earlier this month

https://translate.google.fi/transla...312&prev=search

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Explain?????

no knifes. poo poo is inaccurate

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

Explain?????

if u GIS "typical [any nationality]" you will get very similar results

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fun Finland fact: the Finnish word for "Happiness" is the same word for "Suicide"
the word is "viina", btw

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

quakster posted:

the word is "viina", btw

The cause of, and solution to all life's problems. Actually, now that you think of it, Homer Simpson is probably of Finnish descent.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

kikkelivelho posted:

no knifes. poo poo is inaccurate

To be shanked by svensk stål, the greatest shame.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Hey Öjvind, man! Check out Channel 9, check out this chick!
_______________/

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

ultrabindu posted:

So really what I'm getting from this is that Finland and Scandinavia in general is not a place I should want to visit.

yes, everything is terrible. please don't come here

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

I can confirm that every moment spent on Finnish soil is nothing but suffering. Please go to Sweden instead.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Tell everyone you meet that Finland is a hell on earth and you should not emigrate here, especially if you are poor and/or brown

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

white ppl.gif

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Everyone in that Per tumblr looks like the 1970s

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Accretionist posted:

Everyone in that Per tumblr looks like the 1970s

it takes a while for those charity boxes to arrive in finland

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

ultrabindu posted:

It's horrible here. Please don't come.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

serious norman posted:

white ppl.gif

mongols.gif tyvm

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
The only glimmer of joy and hope in my life is mournfully staring at the pictures of Sweden.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

FreudianSlippers posted:

Literally all True Finns are hideous goblin people
http://per-looks.tumblr.com/

They all look malnourished

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Recently I read an old Finnish book called Kuolleet Omenapuut (Dead Apple Trees) by Joel Lehtonen. It's a collection of short stories set in 1917-1918 Finland, published in 1918. It introduced a very varied cast of characters from all social classes; rich, poor, intelligent, dumb, benevolent, belligerent. The mood varied wildly from brief, fleeting moments of happiness to absolute grief and despair and it ultimately mixed into something you could call "Finnish". One of the more central characters, Aapeli Muttinen waxes philosophically about how luck and happiness do not last and everything is bound to die in the end, even when he's generally quite happy and a sort of jovial fellow, at least in Finnish terms.

The book peaks in the description of the Finnish civil war that happened at that time and the author clearly tries to come to terms what the hell happened, by having Muttinen there in the midst of it, shotgun in hand, cowering in snow and trying to make sense of it all. In the end pretty much all the characters that had any interesting or admirable traits are either dead, insane or have left Finland forever and all that is left is a greedy shortsighted idiot determined to get rich. The book is almost a hundred years old but it's pretty much Finland condensed.

Anyway that's my review of a classic piece of Finnish literature. Also the book had an appendix of reviews of the book that were written in December 1918. One of them referred to the civil war as "that problem we had last spring" which was pretty funny.

Also also, if you meet a Finnish person that refers to the civil war as the freedom war, run and never look back.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
I read somewhere that Finnish is a language that exists because of a language demon that lives somewhere beneath Finland. The demon has been slowly guiding the scandinavian tongue for millennia until their language became a bunch of magic spells that they speak out loud to increase the demons power

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Beef Turret posted:

I read somewhere that Finnish is a language that exists because of a language demon that lives somewhere beneath Finland. The demon has been slowly guiding the scandinavian tongue for millennia until their language became a bunch of magic spells that they speak out loud to increase the demons power

Actually Finland and the finnish language are products of a Japanese whaling conspiracy:

https://np.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/2qjohv/what_did_your_parents_show_you_to_do_that_you/cn6pn30

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Beef Turret posted:

guess you should be grateful we speak so little then huh

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Beef Turret posted:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

two finns on a date:

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007

Life in Finland.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Puistokemisti posted:

Life in Finland.

This movie rocked

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Are there any death metal songs about penguins?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

FreudianSlippers posted:

They call me Neolainen :cool:

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

:confused:
These look like perfectly normal itä-Helsinki people?

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
So did he get it from the comic or is it a larger running gag?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Puistokemisti posted:

:confused:
These look like perfectly normal itä-Helsinki people?

Hang on, do average Finns actually look like that?

Because I'm picturing Finland as a bunch of time travelers from the 1970s now, a nation where Led Zeppelin and board games are still popular, and I must go there

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

tetsuo posted:

From the comic

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

AEMINAL posted:

They call me Neolainen :cool:

i like the semi-hidden faded adidas logo, you know he's flashing that poo poo so punk bitches know he's already in his karelian combat uniform (tracksuit which hasn't been washed for years) ready to bring the heat

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

Accretionist posted:

Because I'm picturing Finland as a bunch of time travelers from the 1970s now, a nation where Led Zeppelin and board games are still popular, and I must go there

we all float down here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007

Accretionist posted:

http://www.hel-looks.com/

tetsuo posted:

It's from that comic but basically isn't mentioned again.

• Locked thread