Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You can also try brining if it's coming out too dry. A lot of fried chicken you get at restaurants is brined and it's a big reason why doing it at home tastes different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Philip Rivers posted:

Goddddd why is Japanese mayo so good

msg makes things taste fuckin' gooooooooooooood

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

net work error posted:

The juiciness was more because I cut them too small because the larger pieces I did were nice and juicy. Flavor-wise it felt like the marinade was there but hadn't really gotten into the chicken. I'll make a second batch one of these days and have another trip report to see if marinading longer does the trick.

Marinade doesn't penetrate into meat. It's a surface coating. If you didn't get enough flavour, it's because you didn't get enough marinade onto the outside before frying. Try a bit more flour and/or sauce , and make sure every piece gets well coated.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Lol, what?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Haven't you heard? Brining is the same as salting something and making it soggy

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I mean seriously, anyone who has worked with marinating/brining/wet curing/corning extensively can tell you that that is patently and obviously false.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Having some old friends I haven't seen for ages round in September so planning a 3 course meal and such. I was wondering if anyone was able to recommend a good main course (and a vegetarian main course?)

I'm getting bogged down with too much choice.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Thoht posted:

I mean seriously, anyone who has worked with marinating/brining/wet curing/corning extensively can tell you that that is patently and obviously false.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/zen_of_marinades.html

I find those dyed cross-sections fairly convincing. They seem to assert that the salt makes it through, though.

This paper, too: http://ps.oxfordjournals.org/content/78/7/1048.short They looked at three 1.5mm-2mm slices from the surface inwards, and while there was still marinade (measured as phosphate) in the innermost slice, it was about half what was at the surface (and that was only 5mm into the meat).

Fluo posted:

Having some old friends I haven't seen for ages round in September so planning a 3 course meal and such. I was wondering if anyone was able to recommend a good main course (and a vegetarian main course?)

I'm getting bogged down with too much choice.

A Japanese meal is usually more eight or nine small plates/bowls each containing different things than "courses", but tofu donburi would be a good vegetarian "main".

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

So they're saying that marinades do not penetrate far except for ones heavy in salt (for example, a soy based marinade such as the one the poster you responded to used). I can see that, though I would probably never use a marinade that *wasn't* effectively a brine so the point is moot for me. Also, the maximum marinating time in that second article was 30 minutes so the result shouldn't be too surprising. And I can absolutely attest to the penetration of brines. At a restaurant I worked at, if the corned lamb hadn't been in its brine for long enough, you would have a pink ring on the outside 50% or so where the cure had gotten to and a grey center. At another one where I would marinate 1-2" wide chunks of beef in soy/sake/mirin/garlic/ginger to be ground for jerkey, the beef was noticeably denser and darker all the way through when I cut into it the next day and the ground mix would be flavored uniformly, implying the flavoring had in fact penetrated to the center.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Anyone have a brand preference among these misos? http://world.taobao.com/search/sear...XVc&abtest=null

I mainly use shiro miso for miso soup but obviously flexible is good. I don't want it with dashi.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What are some good brands of rice vinegar? I've used Marukan for forever but lately the flavor seems a bit too vinegar-y so I'm thinking I probably just bought the cheap stuff and am suffering for it.

In other news I made some sunomono last night and boy was it tasty :3:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Thoht posted:

So they're saying that marinades do not penetrate far except for ones heavy in salt (for example, a soy based marinade such as the one the poster you responded to used). I can see that, though I would probably never use a marinade that *wasn't* effectively a brine so the point is moot for me. Also, the maximum marinating time in that second article was 30 minutes so the result shouldn't be too surprising. And I can absolutely attest to the penetration of brines. At a restaurant I worked at, if the corned lamb hadn't been in its brine for long enough, you would have a pink ring on the outside 50% or so where the cure had gotten to and a grey center. At another one where I would marinate 1-2" wide chunks of beef in soy/sake/mirin/garlic/ginger to be ground for jerkey, the beef was noticeably denser and darker all the way through when I cut into it the next day and the ground mix would be flavored uniformly, implying the flavoring had in fact penetrated to the center.

Thanks! That's good to know.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Karthe posted:

What are some good brands of rice vinegar? I've used Marukan for forever but lately the flavor seems a bit too vinegar-y so I'm thinking I probably just bought the cheap stuff and am suffering for it.

In other news I made some sunomono last night and boy was it tasty :3:

Fun fact!
There are a few kinds of similar vinegar made by marukan et al that are easy to mistake for each other.
The ones that are blended/grain vinegar are way more strong tasting than actual rice vinegar.
I've made that mistake a few times.

Mizkan and Nakano are other easy to find brands.

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011
Does pre-mixed okonomiyaki flour work for takoyaki, or should I look into making my own mixture?

I also found out that there is an Asian market very close to where I live that has a great produce selection, so I bought bitter melon for the first time. I made the farmhouse recipe of goya tsukudani, and it was the absolute best hangover food I've ever eaten. Cooking with Dog's goya chanpuru recipe is on the agenda for this week because I've been craving bitter melon since then.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Speed Crazy posted:

Does pre-mixed okonomiyaki flour work for takoyaki, or should I look into making my own mixture?

I also found out that there is an Asian market very close to where I live that has a great produce selection, so I bought bitter melon for the first time. I made the farmhouse recipe of goya tsukudani, and it was the absolute best hangover food I've ever eaten. Cooking with Dog's goya chanpuru recipe is on the agenda for this week because I've been craving bitter melon since then.

I haven't made takoyaki in a while but I think it should probably work.

Cooking with Dog's goya chanpuru recipe is solid and worth making.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Anybody have a link to an anal-retentive ramen writeup? I can bullshit something passable for dinner, but I think I've decided it's time I explored the details with a fine comb. I'm particularly looking for a red ramen that's spicy. It would have pork broth, but be mostly vegetables. I have the gist of soft-boiled eggs, matching noodles to broth, and those little things. However, I'd like to get something down to:

1. Exactly what cut of meat to use to get the right consistency in the broth.
2. Exact mix of vegetables.
3. A precise spice mix.
4. Which noodles to use with the given broth.

We have access to a pretty decent Asian market here where I expect I could get most everything.

Also, I might as well mention that years ago as a sophomore in college, I tried to make beefbowl. I never had it, and never have had a chance to have it. So I don't know if that darkish muck of beef that tasted kind of like fish flakes was anywhere near correct. Unfortunately, I'm assuming I probably nailed it straight on haha.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Anybody have a link to an anal-retentive ramen writeup? I can bullshit something passable for dinner, but I think I've decided it's time I explored the details with a fine comb. I'm particularly looking for a red ramen that's spicy. It would have pork broth, but be mostly vegetables. I have the gist of soft-boiled eggs, matching noodles to broth, and those little things. However, I'd like to get something down to:

3. A precise spice mix.

We have access to a pretty decent Asian market here where I expect I could get most everything.

Also, I might as well mention that years ago as a sophomore in college, I tried to make beefbowl. I never had it, and never have had a chance to have it. So I don't know if that darkish muck of beef that tasted kind of like fish flakes was anywhere near correct. Unfortunately, I'm assuming I probably nailed it straight on haha.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/02/how-to-make-tonkotsu-ramen-broth-at-home-recipe.html

This is a great recipe for tonkotsu broth, and if you follow the links on the bottom, it walks through recipes for the toppings as well. If you like your ramen spicy you can add chili oil as a topping. He also has a recipe for burnt garlic chili oil ramen on the site, but I can't vouch for it.

Also, it sounds to me like you did your gyudon wrong.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Cooking isn't a "add these inputs, expect these outputs" kind of thing. You just get a technique figured out and then play with stuff until you find the food you like. Ramen is especially so in this way.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Can I make Clear Soup out of bonito dashi and dehydrated portabellas? I'm sick and the sushi place is a whole block away and doesn't open for two hours and I want soup and I am MADE OF SUDAFED

edit: and chive and onion and spices and stuff I have around the house

editedit: ended up making jook out of onions garlic ginger pepper chorizo chicken stock and leftover rice, but the question still stands

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 15, 2015

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I made karaage again the other day and cutting into larger chunks and marinading longer helped. It was definitely better than my previous attempt but I'll still be tweaking it further because cooking is cool.

thank god for us
Sep 28, 2015
Has anyone made ramen using David Chang's Momofuku recipe?

Also, made Tamago kake gohan yesterday after reading about it in this thread. Was expecting to taste mucous rice-sludge, but instead the hot rice slightly cooks the egg white, and with an appropriate amount of soy sauce it serves as a tasty little bowl of protein and carbs. I used brown rice which is probably sacrilege.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

thank god for us posted:

Has anyone made ramen using David Chang's Momofuku recipe?
Yes ?

thank god for us
Sep 28, 2015

no poo poo. I've tried to follow the recipe to the T but I usually have to substitute something. Had to use beef bone instead of pork bone last time and I'm curious as to how much a difference it makes.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
When I soak rice do I add the usual amount of water I would, soak, then just turn on the pot? Or do I drain off the soaking water then add X amount again? I'm assuming the former.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Fooley posted:

When I soak rice do I add the usual amount of water I would, soak, then just turn on the pot? Or do I drain off the soaking water then add X amount again? I'm assuming the former.

I usually dump the soaking water, at least for shorter grain varieties.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

3. A precise spice mix.

I have this book and just flipping through it, the thing is, there's no standard for the cuts of meat used or the exact mix of vegetables. I've seen the usage of chicken (often necks and feet), beef bones, beef, pork bones, pork meat, pork fat and venison(?)(apparently momiji is a euphemism for both venison and chicken feet), sanma, iwashi, katsuo and clams among other things. As far as vegetables (and fruits), generally you'll always see onions, garlic, ginger and green onion, but beyond that I've seen dried mushrooms, cabbage, carrots, nagaimo yam, pumpkin, apple, potato, tomato and even banana (in more than one recipe too). Ramen is more art than a science.

Generally speaking as for noodles, I think it's kind of a very general principle that as the broth gets thicker, heavier and stronger flavored, you use a thicker noodle. Light shio ramen I think usually is served with thinner noodles, and on the other end of the spectrum, tsukemen has very thick noodles and a very thick and strong soup.

ookuwagata fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 2, 2015

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

The other day we were boiling a pig's head for head cheese and the broth was so thick and milky. I think if someone made ramen stock with a pig's head and garnished with the cheeks I would be in heaven.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
A while back, I posted a question in this thread about getting access to Japanese food when the closest Japanese/Asian stores are many miles away. Well, yesterday I finally signed a lease and got the keys for a room I'll be renting out in San Jose, Ca. As it turns out, the building the room is in is about a three minute drive away from a Japanese grocery store that I ended up stopping at on the way home. I ended up buying a bag of Green Tea Kit-Kats everyone seems to rave about as well as a bag of Kasugai Melon Gummies (those were amazing by the way :) ).

With that said, the landlord only allows for light cooking, meaning microwave and little/no use of a portable electric stove for all cooking. So, now that I have easy access to imported ingredients, what are some good Japanese dishes that I can make for cheap (or close to cheap since import food can still be a little pricey compared to domestic food) and doesn't require a ton of prep and/or stove/microwave use? Along the same line, what are some other good Japanese snacks/treats that don't have to be refrigerated since I'd like to have something to keep in my room in case of midnight snack cravings, and not knowing my roommates and how trustworthy they are with a shared fridge? I tried finding the dried squid Arino from Game Center CX eats, but I didn't find anything that looks like the cylinder container the brand he eats uses.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Buy an immersion circulator and tell them it's a giant battery or something.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Obeast posted:

A while back, I posted a question in this thread about getting access to Japanese food when the closest Japanese/Asian stores are many miles away. Well, yesterday I finally signed a lease and got the keys for a room I'll be renting out in San Jose, Ca. As it turns out, the building the room is in is about a three minute drive away from a Japanese grocery store that I ended up stopping at on the way home. I ended up buying a bag of Green Tea Kit-Kats everyone seems to rave about as well as a bag of Kasugai Melon Gummies (those were amazing by the way :) ).

With that said, the landlord only allows for light cooking, meaning microwave and little/no use of a portable electric stove for all cooking. So, now that I have easy access to imported ingredients, what are some good Japanese dishes that I can make for cheap (or close to cheap since import food can still be a little pricey compared to domestic food) and doesn't require a ton of prep and/or stove/microwave use? Along the same line, what are some other good Japanese snacks/treats that don't have to be refrigerated since I'd like to have something to keep in my room in case of midnight snack cravings, and not knowing my roommates and how trustworthy they are with a shared fridge? I tried finding the dried squid Arino from Game Center CX eats, but I didn't find anything that looks like the cylinder container the brand he eats uses.

Okonomiyaki can be made on an electric griddle if those are ok. Eggs, water, flour, cabbage, bacon, sauce. There are mix kits you can buy but it's not really necesssary.

Pineapple is the true king of the kasugai gummies.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Bacon is pretty gross in okonomiyaki. It's just way too salty/smoky.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Obeast posted:

With that said, the landlord only allows for light cooking, meaning microwave and little/no use of a portable electric stove for all cooking. So, now that I have easy access to imported ingredients, what are some good Japanese dishes that I can make for cheap (or close to cheap since import food can still be a little pricey compared to domestic food) and doesn't require a ton of prep and/or stove/microwave use?

Like 99% of the stuff they make on Cooking With Dog is done on a tiny little single burner portable stove, so there's a wealth of ideas waiting for you there.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Sex Hobbit posted:

Okonomiyaki can be made on an electric griddle if those are ok. Eggs, water, flour, cabbage, bacon, sauce. There are mix kits you can buy but it's not really necesssary.

Pineapple is the true king of the kasugai gummies.
That sounds like a good idea. I'm gonna head back up there in a day or two, so I can pick up a bottle of the okonomiyaki sauce and try it at my soon-to-be-former place.

Tendales posted:

Like 99% of the stuff they make on Cooking With Dog is done on a tiny little single burner portable stove, so there's a wealth of ideas waiting for you there.
I was thinking this earlier today, and plan on checking out a few of their videos tonight once I start to wind down before going to bed. Plus, I'm sure there are plenty of other Japanese recipe YouTube channels that I can check out (although I doubt that they're as charming and/or fun to watch as CWD).

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Last night I brought some fresh shiso I'd grown to a Japanese friend's place for her to weave into a series of dishes. Apparently fresh shiso and nattō is an amazing and classic combination. She also made a pretty tasty dish frying chicken, shiso and cheese together.

And shiso juleps are pretty good, if not exactly traditional.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Last night I brought some fresh shiso I'd grown to a Japanese friend's place for her to weave into a series of dishes. Apparently fresh shiso and nattō is an amazing and classic combination. She also made a pretty tasty dish frying chicken, shiso and cheese together.

And shiso juleps are pretty good, if not exactly traditional.

Shiso tastes good with basically everything. I wish I had the ability to grow things because I would put it on/in everything.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Follow-up question to my last few posts... Would the okonomiyaki sauce usually be located with other cooking/food sauces? I went back to the Japanese grocery store the other day after dropping off some stuff at my new place, and I looked up and down the cooking sauce/oil aisles, but couldn't find it at all. I even looked in a few other spots where it might be, but didn't see any indication that they even sell it. :confused:

Also, Sex Hobbit, those pinapple kasugai gummies are freaking amazing. I might end up buying one bag of each flavor because so far I've been nothing but impressed with them. :) I also tried squid jerky for the first time, which I'm not as impressed with. I do like seafood taste, but holy gently caress there really can be too much of a good thing. I'll still finish off the bag since it's not super gross, but I'll probably never try it again.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Heat up the jerky, dip it in Japanese mayo.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Dried salted squid is more of a drinking food, I think. If you weren't drunk while eating it, you missed an essential part of the experience.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

I am officially purchasing shiso seeds to grow my own plant since I was unable to find fresh leaves for the sesame seed ICSA. I'm so jealous of people who don't live in St. Louis who can just pop down to a market and buy a freakin plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

3. A precise spice mix.

If you want a red spicy ramen you're probably thinking Tantan-men which has its roots in sichuanese Dan Dan Mein. This recipe for Dan Dan noodles is somewhat in-between a regular sichuanese Dan Dan and a Japanese Tantan-men and is really really delicious. I subbed in Sun fresh ramen noodles when I made it and it wowed a Japanese friend. I've since invented a fully vegan version that totally kills it and that I almost prefer to most ramen nowadays. I'll have to measure out the ingredient ratios and post them in here sometime.