Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

GaussianCopula posted:

Will you be able to have a pet dog in Star Citizen? It seems to me like that would have been one of the earlier stretch goals, at least before "your own Bonsai tree"

I think pets were a stretch goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

GaussianCopula posted:

Will you be able to have a pet dog in Star Citizen? It seems to me like that would have been one of the earlier stretch goals, at least before "your own Bonsai tree"

800$ for a pure-breed Rottweiler. Don't gently caress my dog with your mongrels, goons! :argh:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
It's been almost 20 days since my probation for nothing and since I sent in my request asking for an explanation I've received a total of 0 answers. Thankfully I've been sent 6 emails from RSI about other dumb bullshit so at least there's that. 10 more days to go. Pray for me.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

im suspicious this Karl guy didn't join 4 seraph84. these are dire times

also pls put the dog in the op

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This looks like a pretty awesome dog.

that dog died and did not even see the release of the game..shame

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
If they do introduce a pet system I hope to god it's not like the normal MMO pet system. God knows I don't care to have my screen bogged down by umpteen thousand pets in a public area.

Leave it like the fish in Mass Effect. You can visit your pets in your hangar but not take them with you.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

LCL-Dead posted:

If they do introduce a pet system I hope to god it's not like the normal MMO pet system. God knows I don't care to have my screen bogged down by umpteen thousand pets in a public area.

Leave it like the fish in Mass Effect. You can visit your pets in your hangar but not take them with you.

:frogout:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

EminusSleepus posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:cry:

That was the best jpeg in this thread.

This thread is now In Memoriam for that awesome dog.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

LET ME HAVE MY LAST MOMENT OF DYING HOPE WHILE I WAIT FOR MY REFUND TO COME IN, YOU BASTARD.

:love:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

LCL-Dead posted:

But I want to train my dogs to be like the ones in Pixar's Up. I hope they put Doggles in the store.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

LCL-Dead posted:

LET ME HAVE MY LAST MOMENT OF DYING HOPE WHILE I WAIT FOR MY REFUND TO COME IN, YOU BASTARD.

:love:

It was more along the lines of how minis are one of the best features of MMOs, and how even if by some strange twist of fate SC releases in some form, it's literally going to be what you just described.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This looks like a pretty awesome dog.

Letter from the Chairman

quote:

We’ve added a lot of ships lately, and so we’re making the $64 million goal a fun one.
Pets – We have repair bots, we have fish… but we haven’t implemented a traditional pet system in Star Citizen yet. At $64 million, that changes. From Jones the Cat in Alien to the Battlestar Galactica’s Daggit, pets have a place onboard starships… and we want to give you that option in Star Citizen. Expect traditional terrestrial options, plus anything exotic we can dream up in the Star Citizen universe! (Those Torshu Grey crabs that keep escaping are just the start.) This stretch goal is in honor of Paddington, Strike Dog of the UEES Paul Steed. In one of our first videos Paddington helped us get to $4 million back in the initial campaign, and sadly passed away recently.

Paddington died after helping raise $4 million for the Space Family Roberts.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Zmej posted:

im suspicious this Karl guy didn't join 4 seraph84. these are dire times

also pls put the dog in the op

He's defending Sexual Harassment Whale not Bitcoin Billionaire Pedophile. I can see how they would be easily confused though.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

GaussianCopula posted:

Yes, and here's one fans recent suggestions on implementation.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

It was more along the lines of how minis are one of the best features of MMOs, and how even if by some strange twist of fate SC releases in some form, it's literally going to be what you just described.

Ah, I see.

I've never been big into MMO's so it's just another tedious feature to me. I think the last time I did anything with a "pet" in-game was with WoW back in 2009 where I played up a hunter for all of 6 months before letting my subscription die. I'm not a fan of grind. I think early Aion ruined almost all other MMOs for me.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Wafflz posted:

He's defending Sexual Harassment Whale not Bitcoin Billionaire Pedophile. I can see how they would be easily confused though.

The best bit about Karl was him going, those aren't my embarrassing twitter posts fawning over :lesnick: and being buddies with DickWolf, I'll prove it by showing you my twitter posts fawning over :lesnick: and being buddies with DickWolf.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I think a pet system is only complete if it allows breeding, including cross species breeding with a realistically modeled gene system, including special breeding ships of course.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

GaussianCopula posted:

I think a pet system is only complete if it allows breeding, including cross species breeding with a realistically modeled gene system, including special breeding ships of course.

I don't know why you expected less.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

GaussianCopula posted:

The F.U.-6969 Mater is the ultimate modular ship for animal breeding! The premium :lesnick:-suggested variants include a Moon-sized pig sty and a horse brothel! Buy now to get your ant LTI, a goat climbing wall and your personal strain of anthrax!

Actually, the whole SC thing is Monty Python's Michael Ellis, minus the Queen.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

G0RF posted:

TL:DR
Merchandise is no better managed than any other part of CIG's business. What proves simple for even pissant indie devs has proven difficult for the biggest crowdfunding success in history. It's a joke to CIG and they admit it. What Chris is to virtual spaceships, Sandi is to physical goods-- eager to take your money while utterly disinterested in rewarding your loyalty.[/b]

Now compare that merch to what Harebrained Schemes is offering:

$125 gets you a banner, dog tags, military cap, patch, lapel pin, and keychain. $275 gets you a custom "flight jacket" with some patches added... and that's it. No more merch. The artwork for the merch is already done, and it looks like they've already received samples based on what can be seen in the Kickstarter page. Simple, easy to fulfill, and I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time they've done it. Best part? They're clearly making a profit. $75 for a hat, keychain, pin, patch, and banner is a lot of extra cash. Same for $150 for a jacket with some screen-printed logos and some more patches.

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer
doxx all the dogs.

including legal.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

$125 gets you a banner, dog tags, military cap, patch, lapel pin, and keychain. $275 gets you a custom "flight jacket" with some patches added... and that's it. No more merch. The artwork for the merch is already done, and it looks like they've already received samples based on what can be seen in the Kickstarter page. Simple, easy to fulfill, and I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time they've done it. Best part? They're clearly making a profit. $75 for a hat, keychain, pin, patch, and banner is a lot of extra cash. Same for $150 for a jacket with some screen-printed logos and some more patches.

Cloth map or no deal :argh:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

GaussianCopula posted:

Introducing the new galactic kennel ship with all of this + nintendogs minigame for $800.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Got my refund actioned by CIG Kraiklyn! Pretty solid response time of 1 day after confirmation on my end, according to him should take 5-10 days to process so I guess we'll see after that and if it doesn't, bug them about it more. Either way, will post an update about it if and when it gets here.

I think they're feeling a bit flush now, with spergs buying their new 900$ fake dreamboat, so by all means - do keep pestering them about your refunds now, because now is the time and not later, when the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's interesting to see the public community behaving like the game developer that starts to believe it's not going to see its money ever again. If this was owned by EA or something, people would rail against it getting cancelled. But its a piece of poo poo

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
In case anyone is wondering what I wrote (to perhaps write a better refund letter themselves and get a faster response time instead of waiting for days, I dunno, maybe it'll help) here's the 'what reason do you have' part I wrote to them. So if anyone wants to borrow elements from it, or whatever, to still let CIG know they're doing poorly while still getting their money back without being a totally rude person about it, here it is if anyone actually cares:

quote:

Yes, a full refund of any assets that remain on my account would be what I am after, and the closing of my account afterwards.

As for which events, I could point out to a number of issues involving community management, go into more specifics regarding that involving sexual harrasment that I have personally witnessed made by community members, which are still actively given the spotlight by CIG and shown up as good examples, or confirmed numbers and statistics that just point towards how it's become impossible for me to see how a Star Citizen Persistent Universe is financially possible in the long term (maybe Squadron 42 will be released, to which I say good luck, but it is not the primary reason I pledged in the first place).

Ultimately, for me, though, it is the fact that back in 2013 the hangar module was released more or less on schedule and much as advertised, hence back then I felt comfortable pledging. Then the dogfighting module was not only delayed, but took until the very end of 2014 to actually become regularly feasible for multiplayer (the main selling point for me), and the FPS multiplayer, while originally looking good at PAX AUS, has still not been released. Today was supposed to be the day of its release (after at least 3 previous delays and rescheduled release dates)...and as it is turning into evening tonight, I doubt I shall see it.

So while all of the things mentioned in the first paragraph are minuses, ultimately the reason for me asking for a refund is that I can't trust a single thing CIG announces anymore, be it officially or unofficially. I used to, back in 2013. Then by 2014 it narrowed down to not trusting the community team all that much, but still being able to trust that CIG will be able to release a game at the end of the long wait. And this year, I can't even trust that anymore.

Hence, I respectfully ask for my full refund, ask for my account over there to be ended and wish you good fortune in your future.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

And the saddest part is, Harebrained backers will have their merch before CIG finishes making and shipping out the crap they're still on the hook for from 2012.

Harebrained Backers --> Delighted, because they'll likely get the stuff they backed by the dates HS set.
Harebrained Owners --> Enriched, because they priced their reward tiers smartly and left ample room for margin off merch.
Harebrained Employees --> Relieved, because they won't be getting support tickets years later asking about "Where's my drat collector's box?"

Yet still, these higher mysteries elude the person with the Marketing and Business degrees. Though to be fair, she's dealing with 2000 trouble tickets a week asking about refund requests, $5 downgrade taxes, "why the hell did you fire JAMES?!", melt foo, "is Derek Smart RIGHT?!", "I placed my mousepad order 5 weeks ago- has it shipped yet?" and related matters. So maybe she hasn't had time to figuring out the obvious because she's too busy mastering in the mundane...

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

You joke, but people are suggesting this for the space farming on reddit:

quote:

This more-or-less sounds like there's a "recipe" that is to be discovered by the farmer. Wouldn't this really defeat the point of these "exotic" plants, having the recipe easily searchable online?

quote:

There may be an answer to that: genetic drift. While a published "recipe" may provide okay to good results, variation of seed stock, plus changes to ideal conditions in subsequent generations, means that each farmer may have to adjust specifically to what they have planted.

quote:

Do you want them to last longer, looks better, taste better, have better mouth texture, grow faster, require less fertalizer, require less light? etc. you find the 'best' combination for your market. hopefully seeds + pants have traits they can pass to children, (with some random variation) or be genetically cloned for an exact copy (like current day bananas).

I mean, I think it's bad enough everyone has to pretend that CIG is actually going to make all these minigames designed by non-technical staff members in their MMO, but when you start going down the rabbithole and thinking this tiny side activity available in a single configuration of a single ship is going to model genetic code including defects and mutation, and that you'll stake out a valuable market segment by designing for mouthfeel in a virtual world where that concept literally doesn't exist, then you've lost all grip on reality.

Virtual mouthfeel

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

CrazyLoon posted:

In case anyone is wondering what I wrote (to perhaps write a better refund letter themselves and get a faster response time instead of waiting for days, I dunno, maybe it'll help) here's the 'what reason do you have' part I wrote to them. So if anyone wants to borrow elements from it, or whatever, to still let CIG know they're doing poorly while still getting their money back without being a totally rude person about it, here it is if anyone actually cares:

You know for most reputable companies the only reason needed is you want a refund and you don't need to write a loving essay to justify your demand. Which really makes this all so much more hilarious that you have to do all of this in order to get a chance to beg for a refund.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

GaussianCopula posted:

Golden Chocobos

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Agrajag posted:

You know for most reputable companies the only reason needed is you want a refund and you don't need to write a loving essay to justify your demand. Which really makes this all so much more hilarious that you have to do all of this in order to get a chance to beg for a refund.

Yea, I know that. But CIG is not a professional-run company, so it stands to reason that you deffo have to write a mini-essay so that it penetrates their thick skulls as to why anyone could *possibly* want a refund from the eminent entity that is Christ Roberts.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CrazyLoon posted:

Yea, I know that. But CIG is not a professional-run company, so it stands to reason that you deffo have to write a mini-essay so that it penetrates their thick skulls as to why anyone could *possibly* want a refund from the eminent entity that is Christ Roberts.

It's open development! They might take a hint! :laugh:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Truga posted:

It's open development! They might take a hint! :laugh:

The 'open' part only refers to a one-way street. From Christ Roberts rear end to his faithful followers mouths.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

I forgot about this but, 2 years ago I created the https://www.reddit.com/r/squadron42 subreddit. Nobody loving visits it but whatever, I'm sure we can use for nefarious purposes.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

RubberJohnny posted:

Virtual mouthfeel

This is a good band name, or user name.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Agrajag posted:

I asked for a refund, they asked why, I literally wrote word for word "I don't think this game is coming out so I would like all of my purchases refunded", and about 4 days later I have the money in my paypal. It was even that same krakilyn that CrazyLoon mentioned. You don't need to make a big song and dance out of it.

Karl_Ramseier
Aug 21, 2015

I don't have to work very hard at being an asshole. It comes naturally.

No practice needed.

Since Goons ruin everything, I'm pretending to be a Goon for Halloween!

AP posted:

The best bit about Karl was him going, those aren't my embarrassing twitter posts fawning over :lesnick: and being buddies with DickWolf, I'll prove it by showing you my twitter posts fawning over :lesnick: and being buddies with DickWolf.

I am neither a buddy of DickWolf nor Ben Lesnick. I am just not into accusing people of sexual harassment without clear proof. I wasn't there.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Karl_Ramseier posted:

I am neither a buddy of DickWolf nor Ben Lesnick. I am just not into accusing people of sexual harassment without clear proof. I wasn't there.

Well, that's good to know. You're not accusing anyone.

We are.

Shut up.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Ahdinko posted:

I asked for a refund, they asked why, I literally wrote word for word "I don't think this game is coming out so I would like all of my purchases refunded", and about 4 days later I have the money in my paypal. It was even that same krakilyn that CrazyLoon mentioned. You don't need to make a big song and dance out of it.

Yea, could be we both just got lucky to get Krakilyn - Sandi, on the other hand, very much so does want your 'feedback' on things and, honestly, given the rep she's building for herself it's hilarious that she asked for it over the weekend in my case. The implied threat of: "Be nice to Christo Roberto's space goddess with your feedback, or you might not get your money back" is palpable then and it feels like 2:27 of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWSwWnsXKYI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

EminusSleepus posted:

No dog today will see a feature complete Star Citizen in its lifetime.

• Locked thread