Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Eric the Mauve posted:

I highly recommend all the portrait packs except the Mediterranean one.

I've heard this before but generally don't get cosmetic DLC for these games; what's so wrong with that one in particular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I recommend all the music ones for sure. I think they're highly underrated. Moot point if you don't listen to in-game music though.

I also find it really jarring when people don't have the portrait packs, because in my experience they look a ton better.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

skasion posted:

I've heard this before but generally don't get cosmetic DLC for these games; what's so wrong with that one in particular?

Nothing anymore. It used to look like rear end, now it's been redone to look a lot better.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
It took me an uncomfortably long period of time to realize that the DLC "Orchestral Horse Lords" is actually "Orchestral House Lords."

Do the music DLCs only get added into the in-game playlist when you're playing the relevant culture or religion (Songs of India as an Indian ruler, etc.) or just always?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

prussian advisor posted:

It took me an uncomfortably long period of time to realize that the DLC "Orchestral Horse Lords" is actually "Orchestral House Lords."

Do the music DLCs only get added into the in-game playlist when you're playing the relevant culture or religion (Songs of India as an Indian ruler, etc.) or just always?

Most of them are culture or religion specific, although to me it looks like it would be easily modded since it looks like a few text files with simple if/then structures.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

prussian advisor posted:

Usually, it's "only when you're playing the relevant culture or religion" but the criteria for a particular song to be played ingame can vary from song to song (and are even moddable).

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Do you get them automatically with the expansions in question? Because I'm now listening to the Hymns to the Old Gods ones on youtube and I'm about 99% sure I've heard these before while in-game playing as Germanic Pagans but I don't own the music DLC.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, I do own the DLC although I don't remember buying it. Whoops.

prussian advisor fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 1, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I wouldn't think so, because you can't play as pagans or anyone those songs would apply to without the DLC. Can't confirm though as I always bought the music pack with the expansion.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Don't the unit packs cause slowdowns? I think game performance is better when you don't have them on, though I own them all. Silly, I know.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Here's another quick question, since I just picked up Horse Lords. If I want to play as the Uighurs at the Charlemagne start date, is it possible to somehow convert from Manicheanism to Zoroastrianism, or to make Manicheanism the "real" Zoroastrianism ala Orthodox/Iconoclasm? Evidently the latter has much more fleshed-out mechanics.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

prussian advisor posted:

Here's another quick question, since I just picked up Horse Lords. If I want to play as the Uighurs at the Charlemagne start date, is it possible to somehow convert from Manicheanism to Zoroastrianism, or to make Manicheanism the "real" Zoroastrianism ala Orthodox/Iconoclasm? Evidently the latter has much more fleshed-out mechanics.

There should be a convert to parent religion option in the intrigue menu.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Nothing anymore. It used to look like rear end, now it's been redone to look a lot better.

Echoing this. The Mediterranean portraits used to stink, but now they are pretty good.

See for yourself:
Old

New

McGavin fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 1, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's actually an entirely new portrait pack called Iberian Portraits, and it automatically replaces Mediterranean.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Not exactly. The old Mediterranean DLC was redone and reduced to only the Byzantine group. The Italians and Iberians previously using the Mediterranean portraits were changed to the new Iberian portraits. The Mediterranean update was free to all owners of the old Mediterranean DLC while the new Iberian ones cost money.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
You know, it shouldn't irk me as much but I really hare how I have to buy all the Horse Lord content instead of just being able to buy the Portrait packs.

I don't even zoom in that close to see the units. :argh:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Well I realized I haven't played a feudal catholic in forever and decided I hate myself so I started as the Kingdom of Asturias in the Charlemagne start.

First thing I did was ship my chancellor to his permanent post as the Umayyad sultan's personal bootlick. A marriage resulted in the Empress of Francis being of my dynasty. I then bided my time, taking small portions of rebellious Umayyad land where I could. This allowed me to establish the vassal merchant republic of Galacia and form the Kingdom of Leon. The republic's dominance of northern waters funded the construction of castles all over the kingdom. I also managed to put a brother in the Vatican in only his early 40s and secure an alliance with Lombard and the Byzantines.

I now controlled about a third of Spain as well as the Canaries and was backed by every major neighboring power including the mountain of cash my papal brother funneled into my coffers from the Vatican treasury (about 2k total).

It was now about 950 at this point and now, swollen with African conquests, the Umayyads decide they want more than Castilian lips on their asses and declare a holy war for the chunk of Toledo I controlled. Their ally, the African Sultan joined the fight, adding another ~12k since Africa had actually acquired some land from the Abassids. All told I had about 35k Muslims storming across my borders.

I raised every soldier I had and fled north into Francia. Within a month, the Emperor of Francia, the King of Lombardy, and the Byzantine Emperor were all marching and sailing to Leon. The resulting war effectively broke the back of Islam west of the Nile delta in Africa.

Over the next century, I mended the wounds caused by my savage looting of the papal wallet, ran the Umayyads out of Spain entirely, and formed the Empire of Hispania. After that I crossed the straights of Gibraltar and swept the Muslims all the way east to the Nile, while my family in the Galacian Republic establish trade all the way to Scandinavia and the west African pagans eat the Muslims alive all the way up to my borders at Marrakech.

The crusades have just started when I last saved and quit. Next time I load up I'll hopefully use the crusades to hamstring the Abassids at Jerusalem and hopefully gain prominence as the the speartip of the church and gain favor with the holy orders.

The future looks bright for this little Asturias start.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

OK. So I was playing Nomadic Magyar. I start stripping titles from imprisoned vassals. Bam, something happens and now I'm tribal. It was Ironman, so I can't go back. WTF?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I recommend all the music ones for sure. I think they're highly underrated. Moot point if you don't listen to in-game music though.

I also find it really jarring when people don't have the portrait packs, because in my experience they look a ton better.

I don't listen to music in game, but I have grabbed most of the music to add to my playlist. You get .mp3 files in your DLC folder.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I actually really like the unit packs, but I also like zooming in on battles for no reason. :v:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

catlord posted:

If you don't mind me asking, how did you design some of the cultures for Let's Wear Black? I'm trying to come up with a half decent Norse-Brittonic culture and I have no idea what I'm doing. I could probably get a degree in linguistics but that seems like a bit of work for something relatively small.
I mostly just bullshitted stuff that looked good enough that the average goon wouldn't call me out on it.

For Norse-Brittonic, are you making them Norsemen who become Celts (Vikings speaking a Celtic tongue), or is it meant to represent Celts acclimating to their overlords' culture (Welshmen trying to speak a Nordic tongue)? One thing I tried to do was look up the names I wanted in whatever language I wanted-- like for the Byzantine Slavic culture used for GothLP's Byzantium, I looked up the 'List of Byzantine Emperors' article on the Croatian Wiki, which then gave me a plethora of Roman and Greek names rendered in a Slavic tongue.

So if you could find articles about Vikings in the Welsh (or Breton, I suppose) Wikipedia, you could probably find more Celtic-ish renderings of old Norse names than you'd find on the English Wikipedia. Conversely, look for articles on the Celts on one of the Nordic language wikis and you'll probably find Celtic names spelled in a more Nordic sort of way. Just look up an article in English, and then look on the left side of the page and see if it's also available in whatever language you want.

Also I think CK2+ at least has a Norse-Gael melting pot culture already, which you could probably use as a base for something.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

BrainParasite posted:

OK. So I was playing Nomadic Magyar. I start stripping titles from imprisoned vassals. Bam, something happens and now I'm tribal. It was Ironman, so I can't go back. WTF?
I believe there's an event for the Magyars to settle down and form Hungary, but that would turn you into a feudal nation. More likely, you misclicked somewhere and chose to change government to tribal. I've actually run into that problem several times before, and it's the main reason why I try to Always Be Conquering.

Question of my own: I'm playing as the Cuman horde and considering subjugating the Seljuks, because they've been a pain in my rear end far too long. They are currently fighting a couple major revolts, plus an adventurer relative of mine. Should I invade now, while they're busy fighting on two other, more distant fronts, or should I wait until they've finished putting down those revolts and unified the empire I'm about to subjugate? Alternatively, if I take over the Seljuks now, will those revolts start fighting me, or will they keep fighting against Sultan Whatshisdick, my new vassal? I'm not sure it'd matter, since I'm probably the largest single military power on the planet, or will be after I smash the Seljuks, but I'm curious.
ETA: In retrospect, the answer should be obvious; War Ended Inconclusively due to liege change for Sultan Whatshisdick.

Other question: What's the largest number of simultaneous wars you've ever been involved in? I was in 10 day before yesterday, although most of those were either revolts or one-county chiefdoms, and another time I was fighting with the Holy Roman Empire, the Byzantines, and the Seljuks, although not in the same war. Being a horde might be easy-mode, but there's never a dull moment when you're riding with the Khans.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 2, 2015

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Ofaloaf posted:

I mostly just bullshitted stuff that looked good enough that the average goon wouldn't call me out on it.

For Norse-Brittonic, are you making them Norsemen who become Celts (Vikings speaking a Celtic tongue), or is it meant to represent Celts acclimating to their overlords' culture (Welshmen trying to speak a Nordic tongue)? One thing I tried to do was look up the names I wanted in whatever language I wanted-- like for the Byzantine Slavic culture used for GothLP's Byzantium, I looked up the 'List of Byzantine Emperors' article on the Croatian Wiki, which then gave me a plethora of Roman and Greek names rendered in a Slavic tongue.

So if you could find articles about Vikings in the Welsh (or Breton, I suppose) Wikipedia, you could probably find more Celtic-ish renderings of old Norse names than you'd find on the English Wikipedia. Conversely, look for articles on the Celts on one of the Nordic language wikis and you'll probably find Celtic names spelled in a more Nordic sort of way. Just look up an article in English, and then look on the left side of the page and see if it's also available in whatever language you want.

Also I think CK2+ at least has a Norse-Gael melting pot culture already, which you could probably use as a base for something.

I'm using a Norse-Gael culture from the New Cultures thread, but I think the difference between Gaelic and Brittonic would mean I'd need to scrap most of it anyway. I've been using the Wikipedia, uh, trick, I guess, to get names for places in the various Celtic languages, but I hadn't thought of using it for names, I'll try that, thanks!

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Let me ask for a little advice from the thread's CK2 pros:

I'm playing as Harald Hadrade in the 1066 Stamford Bridge bookmark on Ironman. I successfully invaded and conquered England, put down a revolt after the fact by its largest duke, and now I'm on the cusp of losing it to elective law in England favoring a native English duke, for reasons that aren't hard to figure out. The Kingdom of Norge, also elective, thankfully favors my son Prince Olav, so I won't be completely divested. It's 1073, Harald is not quite 60 years old, and I'd really rather not lose England so soon after having ahistorically gained it. I've managed to convert both Norge and England to Low Crown Authority.

As far as I can tell, here are my options:

1) Destroy the Kingdom title of England. I have over 1500 prestige so I can easily afford the prestige hit. What seems less likely is the -50 opinion hit from all de jure vassals, which I can only assume will cause pretty much all of England to erupt in rage the next day. The tooltip doesn't indicate how long this malus lasts, and presumably I only have to hold out until Harald dies and his heir won't suffer the hit. I'm assuming this will just result in me losing England as a slow bleed rather than overnight after Harald dies. Plus, does this mean my English subordinates get votes for the Norge kingdom title and might wind up divesting my heir Olav of that one as well? I'm not really sure how this works, I tend to switch from elective law to more conventional ones as soon as humanly possible.

2) Change English succession laws. This seems currently impossible, since I need to have no vassals with negative opinion to adopt ultimogeniture, and two big ones hate my guts to an extent that I'm powerless to mitigate during the lifespan I presume I have remaining. Maybe there's some way out that I'm missing?

3) Give up on England, consolidate Norway, become Emperor of Scandinavia and come back for it later. Presumably my heir Olav will inherit a (strong?) claim on the English throne. However, it'll be a long time before I have the strength to meaningfully vie for it again. This is my least favored option.

Basically, I'm not sure how to proceed. I feel like there's some obvious option here that I'm missing.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
Clearly you need to get rid of those 2 disapproving dukes :ese:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So my game keeps crashing to desktop around the same date (September/October 950) on each one of my saves. (I have one autosave and two saves during the year) I've been experimenting with getting out of all my wars, disbanding the levies, etc, but nothing seems to change that I crash at that period each time. Am I hosed?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

TheBlackRoija posted:

Clearly you need to get rid of those 2 disapproving dukes :ese:

This was naturally my first thought (the rebelling duke from earlier was disposed of with some poisoned wine) but I'm about 90% sure I don't have the time, and it doesn't seem likely that the English nobility will favor my own heir over whoever is still alive afterward.

If I destroy the Kingdom of England, even if it erupts in insane rebellions will it just degenerate into a balkan mess of minor states that I can gradually re-assimilate?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You could move your capital to England and adopt English culture if the penalty for being a foreigner is what's giving your vassals opinion maluses. Alternatively, kill off the guy everyone else is voting for or revoke voting titles so that only your vote matters. Hand them out again with your heir when you die.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So my game keeps crashing to desktop around the same date (September/October 950) on each one of my saves. (I have one autosave and two saves during the year) I've been experimenting with getting out of all my wars, disbanding the levies, etc, but nothing seems to change that I crash at that period each time. Am I hosed?

I figured out whats causing the crash. A castle I'm building in a county with no current holdings in it finishes right at that point. Is there any way I can cancel the construction of a new castle? All of my saves are past when I started the construction. fuuuck

edit: nope this isn't the problem. christ

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 2, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

prussian advisor posted:

3) Give up on England, consolidate Norway, become Emperor of Scandinavia and come back for it later. Presumably my heir Olav will inherit a (strong?) claim on the English throne. However, it'll be a long time before I have the strength to meaningfully vie for it again. This is my least favored option.

Inherited claims are always weak, far as I know. Only ways I know of to get a strong claim are to be a pretender to a title when its holder dies, lose a title, press a claim and white peace out, or fabricate it (and fabricated claims are non-inheritable, again unless pressed.) I'm sure I'm missing something, this is CK2 after all.

quote:

If I destroy the Kingdom of England, even if it erupts in insane rebellions will it just degenerate into a balkan mess of minor states that I can gradually re-assimilate?

If you go into a faction war (or three) against most of England, is it likely you'll lose? If not, the Crushed a Major Revolt +25 may keep the thing together until your current character dies.

Also, which focus is it that might give you Depressed? Is it Business? Take whatever focus might give you Depressed. This is exactly the sort of situation where the Commit Suicide button is a godsend.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
My game keeps crashing after saving three times and trying to save a fourth. I can either play for four years and have to redo one of them, or play for two years and most of a third. No error message, just crash to desktop and 12 megs of .dmp file. They're starting to pile up.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is exactly the sort of situation where the Commit Suicide button is a godsend.

Strong contender for new thread title.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Mr Snips posted:

What kind of troops should I be spending my horde manpower on? I'm playing a nomadic government for the first time and I've reached a point where I have the gold to buy all of them but it seems like the ones that cost prestige are still the best for the horse archers.

If you are Tengri, just go pure 100% light cavalry. There are only really 3 things better than that, all of which are expensive.

1. 100% heavy cavalry. The best, but the most expensive, and requires you to have your capital in West/South Europe.
2. 100% horse archers. Also good, make sure you are Mongol culture.
3. 80% light cavalry, 20% heavy cavalry. Make sure you're Tengri for the bonus, and then hope you get the Awesome Charge tactic for your knights.

Everything else costs way too much for what you get out of it. So unless you're rolling in ducats (in which case, just do 100% heavy cavalry), do the 10 prestige units.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

SeaTard posted:

If you are Tengri, just go pure 100% light cavalry. There are only really 3 things better than that, all of which are expensive.

1. 100% heavy cavalry. The best, but the most expensive, and requires you to have your capital in West/South Europe.
3. 80% light cavalry, 20% heavy cavalry. Make sure you're Tengri for the bonus, and then hope you get the Awesome Charge tactic for your knights.

Everything else costs way too much for what you get out of it. So unless you're rolling in ducats (in which case, just do 100% heavy cavalry), do the 10 prestige units.

What about if you're Manichean?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

SeaTard posted:

Whenever I play as nomads I keep 2 hordes. One that's pretty much a swarm of prestige-bought horses that constantly raid forever along my borders. The other is heavy horse and horse archers that constantly conquer new territory forever.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't listen to music in game, but I have grabbed most of the music to add to my playlist. You get .mp3 files in your DLC folder.

I checked this out, but they're all in .ogg form. Are there mp3 versions anywhere, or do I just have to deal with the quality hit and turn them to mp3s myself so I can listen to them elsewhere?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I figured out whats causing the crash. A castle I'm building in a county with no current holdings in it finishes right at that point. Is there any way I can cancel the construction of a new castle? All of my saves are past when I started the construction. fuuuck

edit: nope this isn't the problem. christ

Sometimes this happens to me when I'm using a mod and sometimes if you play as another character past that date and then switch back it works fine. You can use the console.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Did anyone else suddenly get a giftable copy of CK2?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Welp, this sale has me thinking I'll pick up all the major 75% off stuff I'm missing and dust this game off and play it again for the first time in over a year. Is there a nice summary of the stuff Way of Life added/changed somewhere? That is the one I'm most interested in but can't find much about besides "adds lots of neat events".

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Welp, this sale has me thinking I'll pick up all the major 75% off stuff I'm missing and dust this game off and play it again for the first time in over a year. Is there a nice summary of the stuff Way of Life added/changed somewhere? That is the one I'm most interested in but can't find much about besides "adds lots of neat events".
There's the wiki, and probably some effortpost elsewhere in this thread.

ETA: Haven't found anything better than the Wiki article, apart from the occasional "Oh wow it's so much fun to take Seduction and cuck my way from Norway to Navarre".

Also, cool thing I've discovered: Your vassal's vassals will revolt against them, and not you. This is extremely useful if you have, eg, a recently-subjugated and still very angry Seljuk Sultanate which is leading the Independence faction.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Does the game always mention truthfully how you died, or could you have been the victim of a successful assassination attempt that doesn't reveal it was one and "died of poor health"?

• Locked thread